Favorite brand of tofu?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Favorite brand of tofu?

Post by Kennedy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 am

On a trip to Okinawa, Japan, a restaurant served the most amazing tofu. It was creamy, salty and wasn't like any tofu I'd eaten before. It reminded me of ricotta cheese, but not really.

Upon returning to the United States, I visited an Asian grocery store and purchased a few different brands of tofu to try. None tasted anything like this type of tofu I ate in Okinawa.

Maybe it's not available in the US? Any suggestions on favorite brands of tofu to try, even if they don't sound like the creamy, salty version I ate in Okinawa, Japan?

Grasshopper

Re: Favorite brand of tofu?

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:50 am

We only use hard block tofu, our favorite is Trader Joe's sprouted tofu.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 am

depends on what we are making, If its something to be baked, we use extra firm, if its something that will be blended mixed we use a silken.
Wegmans near us has some pre-pressed which makes it real easy open and go. I usually buy store brand since I will be flavoring it anyway.

jodydavis

Post by jodydavis » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:29 am

Your best bet will be to go to the largest asian grocery in the area, or the equivalent online, and find a brand that is entirely in chinese/japanese or other language. Look for the softer or silken versions, not the hard tofu you find in U.S. grocery stores. And even then, my guess is that you won't be able to find anything like what you had in Okinawa. There just isn't the market here for that.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:18 am

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:27 am

Some restaurants in Japan (and I'm guessing Okinawa) serve tofu that was made fresh that day. It's a completely different animal than what you can typically find in a supermarket. Additionally, you'll need to at least choose the relevant texture of the supermarket tofu that you do purchase - extra firm, firm, silken, etc. Different firmness lends to different intended uses.

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:32 am

https://twinoakstofu.com/
(not ricotta like though, it is very firm)

Unfortunately their website doesn't provide info on where to get it outside of Virginia, but it is distributed to other states. For example, we have it in some NYC independent health-food stores and I have seen it at some Whole Foods locations in a few different states as well as at a C-Town (non-fancy chain grocery store) in Brooklyn. You could contact them to see if anyone carries it in your area.

rk6

Post by rk6 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:52 pm

What you had was probably either kinugoshi tofu or tohua. Both are typically made fresh daily in tofu-centric restaurants or some izakaya.

I am guessing that they served it either chopped up and mixed with leeks or onions as a appetizer, or as a "dessert" with red bean paste. In either case they probably also served it with a spoon. If you live in the US near a Mitsuwa supermarket they will have something similar, but not quite as soft, in a three-part container, I forget the brand. They will also have soft tofu desserts.