Using a windmill to power a water well pump

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Using a windmill to power a water well pump

Post by Kennedy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:55 pm

Has anyone here used a windmill/wind turbine to power a water well pump? Wondering about the pros and cons as well as general questions.

Specifically, I'm wondering how close the windmill needs to be to the well and to the house. Also, is this a practical solution to irrigate crops that are perhaps 800-1000 feet from the well?

In my area, there is generally a slight breeze blowing, but there are some still days as well. Does this mean on the still days I wouldn't have water unless I install a holding tank, something I really don't want to do? Can there be a regular electric back up system that will switch on automatically should there not be enough wind to power the water pump on some days?

Mr. Rumples

Re: Using a windmill to power a water well pump

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:13 pm

The link below might help. You will need a storage tank or batteries. Wells dry up and in fact were drying up this summer where I live. Unless you have a pipe to transport the water, you will need a ditch which will cause water loss. Your extension agent might be able to help. Well and pump companies are in almost every county in the US. (Even the Brown Palace Hotel in downtown Denver has its own well drawn from an aquifer more than 700 feet below the surface, but that depth is extreme.)

Where I live, pumps come in three basic types, one line jet, two line jet and submersible pumps. There are criteria for using each. So in short, you are going to have to determine the type of pump, the depth, backup, storage, moving the water to the crops.

https://www.agritechtomorrow.com/articl ... ter/10595/

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 am

d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:47 am

Are you trying to pump the water just from the surface to the crops, or also up and out of the ground? If up and out of the ground, how deep is your water level?
Semper Augustus

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:23 am

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:48 pm

The Amish have been doing that around here for a couple hundred years. It's a proven technology at this point.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:07 pm

My Dutch immigrant maternal grandfather did this on his farm over 100 years ago! The windmill pumped the eate up a bit into a large concrete cistern - and the water then flowed where it needed to go. This was before there was electricity available. Once electric power became available - the windmill came down.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Is anyone using such a setup around where you live? If not, there is probably some reason - lack of reliability, cheapness of alternatives, or so on.