How to get a refund from Norwegian Airlines

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jollymon

How to get a refund from Norwegian Airlines

Post by jollymon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Six weeks ago my Norwegian Flight (DY7059) from Paris to Orlando was cancelled after a > 5 hour delay. Since the next Norwegian flight to Orlando was 3 days later, my wife and I had to buy tickets from Delta on a flight leaving the next day at $3200/each. I applied for a refund from Norwegian on 9/13/2019. I have still not received a refund. I resubmitted a refund request on 10/21/2019. I would appreciate any advice about how to proceed.

jollymon

Re: How to get a refund from Norwegian Airlines

Post by 123 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Have you contacted the credit card company to dispute the charge for the service which was not rendered? There are time limits to dispute credit card charges. If the service was not rendered as expected you should dispute the charge. Even though the ticket may have been purchased and paid a long time ago you can dispute if service was not rendered. Call the credit card company ASAP.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:10 pm

I don't know how much your Norwegian Air ticket cost, but I suspect that it was less than about $665 each. That's the compensation they owe you under EU regulation assuming the cancellation was their fault, typically due to equipment or crew issues. If your flight has been cancelled or delayed you have the right to compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004, passengers are entitled to up to €600 each. This doesn't work if the cancellation was beyond their control, such as due to weather issues. Note this is independent of, and in addition to, any refund or credit for your unused ticket.

Last year our Norwegian flight was cancelled, we were given a hotel and meals and a seat on their next flight (maybe 12 hour later) but were still compensated. It can be filed as a claim on their web site.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=292449&p=4790899&h ... n#p4790899

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 pm

jollymon wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 pm
Six weeks ago my Norwegian Flight (DY7059) from Paris to Orlando was cancelled after a > 5 hour delay. Since the next Norwegian flight to Orlando was 3 days later, my wife and I had to buy tickets from Delta on a flight leaving the next day at $3200/each. I applied for a refund from Norwegian on 9/13/2019. I have still not received a refund. I resubmitted a refund request on 10/21/2019. I would appreciate any advice about how to proceed.

jollymon
This is also an example of one of the trade offs associated with Low Cost airlines. The tickets were cheap, but there weren’t as many service recovery options as with a network carrier.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm

jbmitt wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 pm

This is also an example of one of the trade offs associated with Low Cost airlines. The tickets were cheap, but there weren’t as many service recovery options as with a network carrier.
Of course you are correct, but there's an upside if you fly a European carrier to Europe, including the low cost carriers. EU regulation defines compensation if your flight is seriously delayed or cancelled. See my post above. We fly to Europe 1-2 times each year, and almost always fly a European carrier in part for that reason.

You won't get similar compensation of you fly Delta, United or American from Paris to Orlando.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:08 pm

There was most likely another flight on Norwegian the next day to either Miami, Boston or New York. I would have pushed to get on one of those and made my way back to Orlando that way rather than shelling out $6,400 for Delta.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:44 pm

If you want to avoid the hassle, give these guys a try

https://www.airhelp.com/en/

I believe they keep 25% of any recovery
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:44 pm

They do keep 25%, but I filed my EU261 claim directly with Norwegian on their web site and it might have taken all of 15 minutes. I received my $1400 payoff in about 3 weeks.

I guess I could have saved about 5 minutes of my hassle (it actually might take longer to go thru Airhelp, since Norwegian already had all my flight info on file), but it was worth the $350 to DIY. I had 6 years from the day the flight was cancelled to file my claim, so I figured if Norwegian Air didn't pay out I'd then try it thru Airhelp. Of course, for that Paris-to-Orlando flight the OP only has a 5 year filing window. :shock:

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm
jbmitt wrote:

Of course you are correct, but there's an upside if you fly a European carrier to Europe, including the low cost carriers. EU regulation defines compensation if your flight is seriously delayed or cancelled. See my post above. We fly to Europe 1-2 times each year, and almost always fly a European carrier in part for that reason.

You won't get similar compensation of you fly Delta, United or American from Paris to Orlando.
I don't believe that this is correct. It is my understanding that departing from Europe, U.S. airlines are subject to EC 261. I believe European airlines are subject in both directions.

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-aske ... out-eu261/

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:57 am

jbmitt wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:50 am
neilpilot wrote:
jbmitt wrote:

I don't believe that this is correct. It is my understanding that departing from Europe, U.S. airlines are subject to EC 261. I believe European airlines are subject in both directions.

I stand corrected.....my 2 experiences with a delay/refund were both USA to Europe. United was of little help, but as I posted Norwegian payed off handsomely. About $700 USD/person compensation, plus hotel/meals and a flight the next morning.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:57 am
jbmitt wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
jbmitt wrote:

I stand corrected.....my 2 experiences with a delay/refund were both USA to Europe. United was of little help, but as I posted Norwegian payed off handsomely. About $700 USD/person compensation, plus hotel/meals and a flight the next morning.
This doesn't help OP and is also hearsay, but ...

A couple of years ago, we were on Norwegian from Oslo to Orlando. On the flight, I met a guy who was originally scheduled to fly from Copenhagen to Tampa. IIRC, he told me that - for whatever reason - they cancelled that flight and put him (and his family of four) on this one. They gave them tickets from Copenhagen to Oslo. In addition to all this, they paid $1,200 or so per passenger (which was way more - double maybe - what the family had originally paid for the ticket).

Like I said, it is hearsay but apparently Norwegian gets pretty generous.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

jollymon wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 pm

jollymon
As others have said getting the refund/EU compensation should be straightforward. You might check your SPAM folder to see if something was flagged as SPAM.

If you are trying to get refunded the $6,400 you paid that is not going to happen.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:44 am

an_asker wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 am
neilpilot wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:57 am
jbmitt wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
jbmitt wrote:

A couple of years ago, we were on Norwegian from Oslo to Orlando. On the flight, I met a guy who was originally scheduled to fly from Copenhagen to Tampa. IIRC, he told me that - for whatever reason - they cancelled that flight and put him (and his family of four) on this one. They gave them tickets from Copenhagen to Oslo. In addition to all this, they paid $1,200 or so per passenger (which was way more - double maybe - what the family had originally paid for the ticket).

Of course I don't know what that guy's deal was, but the EU compensation are set amounts. In our case the cancelled flight compensation was 600 euro, which came to about $700. It's not about Norwegian Air being generous, just compliance with regulation. Our flight cost about $250-275 each, and we each ended up with a replacement flight, hotel & meals during the wait, and $700. Sounds generous, but that $700 was the EU regulated amount that has no bearing on what you paid for your ticket.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 pm
TexasPE wrote:

They do keep 25%, but I filed my EU261 claim directly with Norwegian on their web site and it might have taken all of 15 minutes. I received my $1400 payoff in about 3 weeks.

I guess I could have saved about 5 minutes of my hassle (it actually might take longer to go thru Airhelp, since Norwegian already had all my flight info on file), but it was worth the $350 to DIY. I had 6 years from the day the flight was cancelled to file my claim, so I figured if Norwegian Air didn't pay out I'd then try it thru Airhelp. Of course, for that Paris-to-Orlando flight the OP only has a 5 year filing window. :shock:
Agreed in your case, but Airhelp will pursue a refund for you that the airline denies.

Airhelp is pursuing a refund for me, which involves going to court in France (I've received communication from the court). To me they are well worth 25% of anything they recover in a situation like this.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 pm
TexasPE wrote:

Agreed in your case, but Airhelp will pursue a refund for you that the airline denies.

Airhelp is pursuing a refund for me, which involves going to court in France (I've received communication from the court). To me they are well worth 25% of anything they recover in a situation like this.
Agree, in your case. But your earlier recommendation to consider Airhelp didn't disclose the fact that self-filing a claim is easy. That's why in my post above I said "I figured if Norwegian Air didn't pay out I'd then try it thru Airhelp.".

The vast majority of EU261 compensation claims are routine and simple to file directly thru the airlines. I suspect many of those that go thru Airhelp simple don't know this, and haven't even tried to file on their own. My post was to let them know that in most cases they will get very little help from Airhlep for that 25% commission. You are one of the exceptions.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:44 am
an_asker wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 am
[...]

Of course I don't know what that guy's deal was, but the EU compensation are set amounts. In our case the cancelled flight compensation was 600 euro, which came to about $700. It's not about Norwegian Air being generous, just compliance with regulation. Our flight cost about $250-275 each, and we each ended up with a replacement flight, hotel & meals during the wait, and $700. Sounds generous, but that $700 was the EU regulated amount that has no bearing on what you paid for your ticket.
Got it - DS is the flight nerd of the family. He had all the calculations laid out for us when we were waiting on our Oslo-Orlando flight. The dang thing took off after a 2 hour 45 minute delay; per DS, IIRC, we would've been eligible for some moolah had it taken off 15 minutes later. :oops:

But yes, like I said about our co-passenger(s), that was hearsay. Who knows what their deal was and what else happened!

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am

Social media