Online or software piano lessons

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Online or software piano lessons

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:01 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for an online or software based piano lesson system?

I played a wind instrument as a kid and have no delusions that this would be anywhere near as effective as a live instructor, but my professional reality is that I can’t commit to a regular lesson during any time close to the business day right now. I’ve pulled out and bought some intro training books and am doing okay with those. I’m not keen on digging through the morass that is YouTube to find something. I don’t mind paying if it’s effective.

Thanks
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Jags4186

Re: Online or software piano lessons

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:04 am

What level are you at now and what are you hoping to accomplish? Are you looking to play classical or everything else?

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:21 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:04 am
What level are you at now and what are you hoping to accomplish? Are you looking to play classical or everything else?
What would you say to a rank beginner in his early 60’s interested in classical music?

No delusions of playing, say, the Hammerklavier in this lifetime, but I’d be delighted to be able to noodle around with some of the easier selections from the WTC or maybe the two- or three-part Inventions by my mid 60’s.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:46 am

marcwd wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:21 am
Jags4186 wrote:
What would you say to a rank beginner in his early 60’s interested in classical music?

No delusions of playing, say, the Hammerklavier in this lifetime, but I’d be delighted to be able to noodle around with some of the easier selections from the WTC or maybe the two- or three-part Inventions by my mid 60’s.
Assuming you can read music—both clefs—fluently you have two choices and you need to decide which you think you can stick with:

Do real exercises (Hanon/Clementi) and scales and play very very easy Classical songs (Chopin raindrop prelude)

Or go with simplified versions of popular classical songs.

I’d actually recommend going the first route.

As for online courses Josh Wright has a Patreon and he is a very good instructor IMO. I haven’t signed up and you can watch some free videos on YouTube and he seems like a good beginner instructor. Additionally if you join he will answer specific questions, etc.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:46 am
marcwd wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:21 am
Jags4186 wrote:

Assuming you can read music—both clefs—fluently you have two choices and you need to decide which you think you can stick with:

Do real exercises (Hanon/Clementi) and scales and play very very easy Classical songs (Chopin raindrop prelude)

Or go with simplified versions of popular classical songs.

I’d actually recommend going the first route.

As for online courses Josh Wright has a Patreon and he is a very good instructor IMO. I haven’t signed up and you can watch some free videos on YouTube and he seems like a good beginner instructor. Additionally if you join he will answer specific questions, etc.
Thanks for this.
If I’m not at the point yet of being able to read music, how would you alter your suggestions? Get some lessons locally? In any case, I will have a look at what Josh Wright offers.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:16 pm

To learn to read music you need to start studying. Get a beginners music theory book. Very difficult to move forward on actual classical pieces without being able to read.

jj45

Post by jj45 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:22 pm

I played around with the app Simply Piano on my iPad to learn piano. You put the tablet on the piano where you would put sheet music, the notes scroll by, and the mic picks up what you are playing and gives feedback. It starts very simply and is pretty well designed to take you from simple to more complex skills. I think there are other apps where you use a keyboard on the screen of the device, but since I had a real piano I went that route, Here's a review of some iPad apps. There are probably similar apps for other tablets. https://www.guidingtech.com/top-best-pi ... hone-ipad/

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:33 pm

I'd recommend a tutor to get you started on the fundamentals, then self-study. I stopped playing due to RSI exacerbation but a live instructor was super helpful to correct the basics of technique... it's far too easy to create and reinforce bad habits that will hold you back when you are trying to go solo.

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:45 pm

kevinf wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:33 pm
I'd recommend a tutor to get you started on the fundamentals, then self-study. I stopped playing due to RSI exacerbation but a live instructor was super helpful to correct the basics of technique... it's far too easy to create and reinforce bad habits that will hold you back when you are trying to go solo.
I'm a music teacher. The online resources are absolutely helpful but there is nothing like a good teacher to walk someone through things week to week. It not only helps the person feel a bit accountable but there are many small observations about positioning of hands, fingers, etc. plus the quick demonstrations that happen in a one on one lesson that are very customized to the individual student. For instance, singing and playing examples of how a rhythm should be counted and felt are best ingrained person to person. If one's goal really is to learn to play an instrument, getting a teacher is the fastest way, plus the best path towards sticking with it after the novelty wears off.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Many thanks for all the responses above.

When I first tried my hand at piano some twenty years ago, I found it frustratingly difficult to properly associate the written notes with the piano keys. This despite having played a wind instrument as a youngster and after having maybe 3-4 months of weekly lessons. Admittedly, my practice wasn’t as regular as it could have been which I (partially) blame on having no keyboard at home.

Now with retirement approaching and having a good acoustic piano of my own, I want to give it another go. I expect I’ll start out by having in-person lessons again and supplement them with online resources.

Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
On piano, very much a beginner. I played trumpet for a decade and got fairly decent, classical background. I can read sheet music, but bass clef is not intuitive yet given the trumpet background. I’d like to play classical, plus simple fun popular songs.

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:11 pm

marcwd wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:07 pm
Many thanks for all the responses above.

When I first tried my hand at piano some twenty years ago, I found it frustratingly difficult to properly associate the written notes with the piano keys. This despite having played a wind instrument as a youngster and after having maybe 3-4 months of weekly lessons. Admittedly, my practice wasn’t as regular as it could have been which I (partially) blame on having no keyboard at home.

Now with retirement approaching and having a good acoustic piano of my own, I want to give it another go. I expect I’ll start out by having in-person lessons again and supplement them with online resources.
That sounds like a good way to start. Good luck

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:23 pm

DH is currently happy using a couple different online options for a different instrument. But he started with a couple of months of local instruction first. Classes were on Sundays and later in the evening due to work schedule and commitments. It might be easier than you think to to find an instructor who can accommodate your schedule.

fujiters

Post by fujiters » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:56 am

jj45 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:22 pm
I played around with the app Simply Piano on my iPad to learn piano. You put the tablet on the piano where you would put sheet music, the notes scroll by, and the mic picks up what you are playing and gives feedback. It starts very simply and is pretty well designed to take you from simple to more complex skills. I think there are other apps where you use a keyboard on the screen of the device, but since I had a real piano I went that route, Here's a review of some iPad apps. There are probably similar apps for other tablets. https://www.guidingtech.com/top-best-pi ... hone-ipad/
We've been supplementing my son's piano lessons with Simply Piano. He's gotten a lot more out of Simply Piano in the last few months than his lessons over the past year. I heartily recommend at least trying it out.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham

Jules4

Post by Jules4 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:06 am

I have two sons taking piano lessons. They started at the same time at ages 3 and 5. The youngest one started using Simply Piano after about two years of lessons. My other son isn’t really interested in Simply Piano. The younger has surpassed the older quite a bit. My young one is very computer oriented so SP just makes him want to practice all the time. He is pretty good for a just turned 7 year old.

I recommend it. Their piano teacher was impressed with the app. I wouldn’t use it without their lessons just because of their ages and because of my lack of musical training.

Ricchan

Post by Ricchan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:30 am

If there's a music school or simply a college with music program nearby, you can probably find students who are willing to give lessons around your schedule. In person lessons are definitely important for teaching proper wrist and finger position. Otherwise, you might end up developing bad habits that are hard to get rid of. Beyond that, the most important thing is consistent practice, whether or not it's aided with an app. Good luck!

gittarman

Post by gittarman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:18 pm

To learn piano, I went the online route about 3 years ago, and I have been pretty
satisfied with my progress. (By way of background, I have been playing guitar for 50 years
and I am very self-motivated).

The online instructor I went with is WIllie Myette. I chose an option where I selected a focus area (blues piano)
and got access to video lessons. In addition, I subscribed to group lessons (via Zoom) twice a month and, additionally,
a personalized lesson (via Zoom) every three months. He has lessons available in many genres: blues, jazz, rock,...
but, unfortunately, not classical. The focus is not on reading music but more of what I would call chordal accompaniment
and improvisation.

If you can find something along these lines in the classical genre, it might work for you.

Anthony

Topic Author
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll take a look at simply piano. In reality, I’m quite confident that an in person instructor would by far be the best for me, but I’m not willing to further complicate our work and family schedule yet. I’ve found the only consistent time I’ve been able to practice is after 10:00pm, once the kids are in bed and chores are done. Perhaps once the kids get a bit older.

What I think I’m really looking for at this point is the “color commentary” that a teacher adds to a lesson book, as well as commentary on proper technique. The accountability is less of an issue. Experience tells me I will either stick with it or not, regardless of whether I have a set lesson.

For those who play, do you think it would be worthwhile if I could find a local piano instructor who’d be willing to do a quarterly or monthly “check in” lesson?

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:06 am

If you're just messing around, online/software is OK.

There's no substitute for a teacher that provides proper technique for playing on a real piano. I.E. preventing bad habits that are hard to kick later, the electronic keyboards just don't compare to a real piano for touch and sound.