Directv Keeps Adding Protection Plan without My Consent

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Directv Keeps Adding Protection Plan without My Consent

Post by Kennedy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:48 pm

There have been four times in the last several years where Directv added on the $8.99 per month protection plan (insurance) without my consent. Each time it was after a technician had come out for either a free service or one that I had paid for. I was never informed I was being enrolled in this and nor did I consent to the same.

It's not something I think about until I see the charge on my bill several months after it's been added. (I need to be better about reading my bill carefully as I have generally been billed this fee for many months until I notice it.)

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed legally by now since I can't be the only one this is happening to. How do I prevent this from happening again in the future? It's not something I always think of when calling about an issue. When I notice the fee, the customer service agent will apologize and credit the money back to my account. However, once a year had gone by without it unnoticed, and Directv would only credit me back six months. (My bad for not noticing sooner.)

In my opinion, it's a slimy business practice.
Last edited by Kennedy on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regularguy455

Re: Directv Keeps Adding Protection Plan without My Consent

Post by regularguy455 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:02 pm

I pay more for YouTube TV. No drama. Never buffers. App is awesome.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:59 pm

I had this (almost) happen when the cable company tech came out and tried to upsell me to add a maintenance plan for a monthly fee. I declined but found the box checked to add it when asked to sign the work order. So remind the tech before s/he leaves that you do not want maintenance added.

I think some companies incentify techs to upsell lucrative maintenance plans. The alarm company tech tried the same thing.

samtex

Post by samtex » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:53 pm

I haven't noticed Dish Network doing this but they did tell me I could save some money if I did drop the fee. They said if I did have something go out, I could just add it back and they wouldn't charge me for whatever went out. I was sceptical but they assured me it wouldn't be a problem. We will see.

I've been in a battle with them since June however. I agreed to a 2 year contract at a reduced rate. Before I accepted it, I repeated back the terms specifically. After a few months my bill went up. They said one channel was a free promo for that time. I objected at told them to listen to the recording. After wasting about an hour of my time. They called back and admitted I was right. Then a month or so my bill went back up. I spoke to a very obnoxious rep that said they would have never offered me that rate. She refused my request to listen to the recording a second time. A few weeks ago I noticed a change on the bill for some prorated charges. I called back and this time I actually got a friendly rep. She took the prorated charges off and I mentioned I would rather talk to the IRS or a car salesman than them and explained my previous experience. She said she would be happy to review the June recording. So far I haven't heard back... saga continues.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:48 pm
I agree. I would not do business with them.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:03 pm

I think I wouldn't do autopay just to force myself to read the bill.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:12 am

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:03 pm
I think I wouldn't do autopay just to force myself to read the bill.
And you'd lose the $10 a month autopay credit.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:18 am

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:48 pm
There have been four times in the last several years where Directv added on the $8.99 per month protection plan (insurance) without my consent. Each time it was after a technician had come out for either a free service or one that I had paid for. I was never informed I was being enrolled in this and nor did I consent to the same.

It's not something I think about until I see the charge on my bill several months after it's been added. (I need to be better about reading my bill carefully as I have generally been billed this fee for many months until I notice it.)

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed legally by now since I can't be the only one this is happening to. How do I prevent this from happening again in the future? It's not something I always think of when calling about an issue. When I notice the fee, the customer service agent will apologize and credit the money back to my account. However, once a year had gone by without it unnoticed, and Directv would only credit me back six months. (My bad for not noticing sooner.)

I've never had that happen to me, fortunately. Directv is usually pretty good at making adjustments for such issues.

If you want to play hardball, you can always threaten to cancel and try to get ongoing loyal discounts. If that doesnt work you can actually cancel, and chances are they will make significant concessions to keep you. It is a PITA, but if you want to stick with them and get the best deals that is what you have to do.