Where do you buy eyeglass frames online?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Where do you buy eyeglass frames online?

Post by CULater »

Looking to shop for Tom Ford eyeglass frames online and would like some recommendations for reputable sellers. These frames cost $400 at local optical shop.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
livesoft

Re: Where do you buy eyeglass frames online?

Post by livesoft »

I bought some frames off of E-bay. They were the brand/model of a frame I had and wanted to have the exact same frame for sunglasses. The frame had been discontinued and I found a new frame on E-bay and bought it for about half the price of my original purchase.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

If you don't need them name brand (and are ok with something that looks the same), I've had pretty good luck with eyebuydirect.com , they have 2 week no questions asked returns, and 365 day warranty
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Do you really need that specific brand? For $400 you can buy 6 to 12+ pairs of glasses at Zenni.com (not just frames - lenses included). My last 3 pairs of glasses cost $450 at LensCrafters, $200 at Target, and $65 at Zenni (only that much because my prescription is strong and I got the extra thin version). The Zenni glasses are the highest quality of the 3. DW ordered 3 pairs from Zenni not too long ago for under $100. They have a tremendous selection so I'm sure you can find something that looks like the Tom Ford's that you like.
But if you require the nameplate on the glasses, that doesn't help.
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano »

nalor511 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29 pm If you don't need them name brand (and are ok with something that looks the same), I've had pretty good luck with eyebuydirect.com , they have 2 week no questions asked returns, and 365 day warranty
yep. eyebuydirect is great.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Goggles4U and Zenni for my daughter's glasses.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

I've used both eyebuydirect and Zenni.

Zenni costs less. However, the frames are also "cheaper" in terms of feel. But on the positive side the lenses were much better for me (in terms of how I saw when I looked through them).

EyeBuyDirect offers a better selection of "quality" frames imo. However, their lenses just don't look as "sharp" when I'm looking through them.

I used the same prescription at both so it's an apples to apples test. Even with the issue described above - I've bought more from ebd than zenni due to the fact that Zenni's selection is just too limited for my taste. Wish EyeBuyDirect would better their lens quality, then it'd be a very easy choice imo.

Whatever you do - do NOT buy from the $400+ places... it's highway robbery.
Last edited by sperry8 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I luck out because the cheapest frames & lenses at Zenni cost $12 shipped to my door & I am happy with them. I get no options, have a strong prescription but am okay with thick lenses. I'm pretty hard on my accessories (watch, glasses, etc...) so I buy multiple copies of the cheapest option, & end up going through them throughout the year. Kills the anxiety of "oh no, my $400 glasses are broken".

My brother & mother just spent over $300 each on 1 frame & lens combo. *sigh*

In looking for a specific frame, another family member had luck at Costco, & another through ebay.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

If you want to stick with that specific frame and a local shop, know that at least some shops will negotiate if they feel it is necessary to make the sale. Your price will still be way over Zenni but you should be able to snag a sizable discount.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

CULater wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:21 pm Looking to shop for Tom Ford eyeglass frames online and would like some recommendations for reputable sellers. These frames cost $400 at local optical shop.
Seems like a huge waste of $$$ to me, but: GlassesUsa.com
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I use eyebuydirect because there quality is better. They used to be really cheap but I just purchased glasses two days ago and the prices are definitely starting to creep up there. Still cheaper than the glasses shop downtown.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

I like Zenni. I have a strong prescription and the 1.74 index lenses are worth the premium. Last pair ran me about $95 for nicer frames and the pricier lenses.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I also buy from Zenni. I have found that their frames tend to be of lesser quality, but it's not really a concern of mine because I've been paying a fraction of the price that I used to to pay at a traditional store, so even if I buy twice as many frames I come out WAY ahead.

I spent a bit more than usual on my last pair at Zenni and bought titanium frames. I'm not sure if it's a fluke but they have held up much better than usual.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Another vote for Zenni. I recently purchase a pair of glasses fully loaded with features (progressive, 1.71 index, photo greys, blokz blue light blocking, anti-reflective) all for $90 in the door. If you ever break your frames, you can just purchase replacement frames assuming it's still in stock. If you can wait, they usually have a Black Friday coupon for 20% off if I remember correctly.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Walmart
Along with
Nikon Lenses
Trifocals(Thin)
Digital Cut
Transition Lens
First pair 480.00
2nd pair 20% off

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Regarding quality of lenses with EBD and Zenni, I have 4 or 5 pairs of glasses,some from Zenni and some from EBD. I don't know the source of any one pair without going back and looking at my records. I have excellent vision with my glasses and when I change from one pair to another, be it Zenni to ebd or the other way around, I can detect no difference in the quality of the lenses.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Payne Glasses. Zenni could not fill my prescription in the lenses I wanted.