Anybody use a battery-powered snowblower?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Anybody use a battery-powered snowblower?

Post by catdude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi Bogleheads -

A few years ago I was seriously considering buying a snowblower, and in fact I started a thread here on that subject. Ultimately I didn't get around to buying one, but now I'm sure I will. I'm currently thinking about a battery-powered one. Anybody have any experience with these things in general? I've got a specific model in mind -- the Snow Joe SJ625E; $160 at Home Depot, $148 at Amazon. Apparently it's more of a "snow thrower" than a "snow blower". Is this a good option? Obviously I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this. But I think it'll probably work for me... my driveway is fairly short (about 40'). What do you guys think?
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

GmanJeff

Re: Anybody use a battery-powered snowblower?

Post by GmanJeff » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:08 pm

I have one. It works well with light, relatively dry, snowfall of two or three inches. Heavy, wet, and deep snow tends to be too much for it to handle, not too different in that regard to an electric unit which uses a cord rather than a battery. I sometimes use it every several hours when snow is falling heavily, to avoid being faced with a build-up which is beyond the machine's capabilities. It is infinitely preferable to a corded electric snowthrower, where you're dragging the electrical cord around behind you, trying not to run over it every time you change direction. It's also much better than using a snow shovel, in terms of physical exertion. It falls short in speed and capability compared to a small gas-powered snowblower, but you are spared the need to store gasoline and to service an internal combustion engine each season.

In all but the lightest and driest snow, the machine doesn't throw the snow very far, so you may find yourself making several sequential passes - one to clear an initial path and others to move that same snow further to the side entirely away from the driveway.

If you get more than a few inches of heavy wet snow often, a gas-powered machine is the way to go. For more infrequent and lighter snowfalls, the battery powered machine is a nice upgrade from an ordinary snow shovel or from a corded electric snowblower or snow shovel.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:30 pm

They would not be suitable for me. It's a physics problem and the power is insufficient. Here on Neptune, we sometimes get snowfall that my gas-powered two-stage snowblower can barely manage with partial cuts and slow movement. If you live someplace where a six-inch snowfall means you get the day off, it might be OK.

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:53 pm

catdude wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:52 pm
... the Snow Joe SJ625E
This is a corded electric, not a battery powered snow blower.

Whether this or a battery powered one will be ok depends on the amount of snow you get at one time, plus how big a driveway/walkway you have. I have a Toro corded electric which does a fine job on my deck with 4-5". But i use a gas powered one for my driveway. An electric isn't going to handle a heavy 1-foot snow very well. Don't know how well battery powered ones do, but I suspect not as well as corded electric, and definitely not as well as gas.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 pm

EGO makes extremely powerful battery operated tools, I'd recommend them. I believe their snowblower can take dual 7.5 amp-hr batteries. For reference; I can mow, trim, and leaf-blow my entire 3301 sq-ft property with a single 5 amp-hr battery.

https://egopowerplus.com/snow-blower/

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 pm

As others have said, this is a corded model. I’d have this model or a very similar one; it does well with about 5-6 inches of average snow; less if it’s heavy, more if it’s fluffy. As others have said, dragging the cord around is a pain, and a heavy duty cord is required, so it’s bulky to wind up. That said, the price was right; if you watch the Snow Joe site, they run some really good sales and I got mine for around $100 I think. They make battery powered versions with LI batteries, but those are more in the $300 and up range.

I liked the electric because we get variable snow here in Southern Ohio; sometimes we will go all winter with none, so I didn’t want a gas blower sitting around unused for over a year.

crumbgrabber

Post by crumbgrabber » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:13 pm

I have the EGO one in Colorado. It can handle up to about 8” of moderately wet snow. More than about 10” goes over the inlet. SUPER wet snow is a struggle if deep. It works great for 90% of our snows (although for less than 3” of powder I simply use a push-style snow shovel). I will never own another gas-powered appliance after my experience with EGO. It’s powerful, quiet, and there’s zero maintenance. Also you don’t smell like gas after using it.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 pm
As others have said, this is a corded model. I’d have this model or a very similar one; it does well with about 5-6 inches of average snow; less if it’s heavy, more if it’s fluffy. As others have said, dragging the cord around is a pain, and a heavy duty cord is required, so it’s bulky to wind up. That said, the price was right; if you watch the Snow Joe site, they run some really good sales and I got mine for around $100 I think. They make battery powered versions with LI batteries, but those are more in the $300 and up range.

I liked the electric because we get variable snow here in Southern Ohio; sometimes we will go all winter with none, so I didn’t want a gas blower sitting around unused for over a year.
In that climate, I would be tempted to put a small snow blade on the front of a riding lawn mower if you had one. No messing with cords or batteries. The battery would go bad after a couple of years regardless of use if extreme temperature is involved.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Agri-Fab-48 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks guys for your responses, they're very helpful. I'm impressed with the EGO product that a couple of you recommended. The price is more than I had in mind ($649 at Home Depot) but it looks like it may be worth it. I'm inclined to buy it, but I'll think about it for a day or two. I just don't want to deal with a gas-powered snowblower...
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:12 pm

catdude wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 pm
Thanks guys for your responses, they're very helpful. I'm impressed with the EGO product that a couple of you recommended. The price is more than I had in mind ($649 at Home Depot) but it looks like it may be worth it. I'm inclined to buy it, but I'll think about it for a day or two. I just don't want to deal with a gas-powered snowblower...
I have the Ego one and it works great in new england winters.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 pm

catdude wrote:
Their batteries are universal across their power tool lineup, so you only need to purchase bare tools once you have a set of batteries (which are a huge chunk of the initial cost). If you grab their lawnmowers, chainsaws, leaf-blowers, string-trimmers, etc, they all take that same battery.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:44 am

Ego works for me in Minnesota.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:12 am

You did not write if your 40' driveway is 2 cars wide. Also to consider is what snow plows deliver into your driveway. I have a 9 HP gas snowblower in Upstate NY and many times that is not really enough. So a battery powered snowblower would not work well here.
It all depends on your age too, when I was young I thought shoveling a 2 car wide driveway was good needed exercise.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:59 am

MichCPA wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:40 pm

In that climate, I would be tempted to put a small snow blade on the front of a riding lawn mower if you had one. No messing with cords or batteries. The battery would go bad after a couple of years regardless of use if extreme temperature is involved.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Agri-Fab-48 ... lsrc=aw.ds
I could mow away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers,
Consulting with the rain;
And my head I'd be a scratchin'
While my thoughts are busy hatchin'
If I only had a riding lawn mower.

Alas, I do not... :annoyed

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:09 am

catdude wrote:
I just don't want to deal with a gas-powered snowblower...
I have a 40 feet driveway in southern Iowa and I can't imagine trying to use a battery operated snowblower on all the wet slushy crusty snow we get. All I do for my gas powered blower is buy fresh non-ethanol gas for it in the fall and change the oil in the spring. All other maintenance is the same for any snowblower, battery or gas. As for starting, mine has easy start. I plug it into the wall and press a button. To me, dealing with "all that" is much easier than trying to push an under powered snowblower through deep or wet snow or having to go out multiple times a snow event.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am

What happens when the electricity goes out and your battery needs a charge?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:26 am

I've got the EGO blower here in Colorado. Overall it does a good job. I've never run low on battery power and have a 3 car port and long sidewalk. The big downside is that it won't "pull" itself along...you have to push it. Not a big deal if your area is flat. In contrast, once the auger of my gas powered blower contacts the snow it tends to pull itself along which makes it a lot easier. Love the inconvenience of the EGO though and not smelling like gasoline when I come in.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:38 am

sixtyforty wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:26 am
Love the inconvenience of the EGO though
You are really selling the EGO!

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:09 am
[
I have a 40 feet driveway in southern Iowa .. . All I do for my gas powered blower is buy fresh non-ethanol gas for it
As a person in the east who cannot find a decent source for non-ethanol gas, it seems very unfair that folks in Iowa have access to it.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am
The same thing that happens when you run out of gas and can't get out of your driveway because it's filled with snow? Besides, being without electricity in the middle of winter, a snowblower is the least of your problems.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am

Record 30" of snow last winter in Prescott.
John Deere tractor worked well for snow clearing.
300 yard driveway. :shock:

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 am

I understand they work well in Florida :mrgreen: ...

- Ron

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:01 am

catdude wrote:
Hi Bogleheads -

A few years ago I was seriously considering buying a snowblower, and in fact I started a thread here on that subject. Ultimately I didn't get around to buying one, but now I'm sure I will. I'm currently thinking about a battery-powered one. Anybody have any experience with these things in general? I've got a specific model in mind -- the Snow Joe SJ625E; $160 at Home Depot, $148 at Amazon. Apparently it's more of a "snow thrower" than a "snow blower". Is this a good option? Obviously I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this. But I think it'll probably work for me... my driveway is fairly short (about 40'). What do you guys think?
If you actually need a snowblower, a battery powered or even electric snowthrower won't cut it. If you don't need a snowblower and want to replace that shovel you're clearing 1-2 inches of fluffy stuff with, then a snowthrower will work fine.

Don't cheap out on this item, that's my advice. Get a real, dual-stage gas powered snowblower. Yes it costs more and takes up more space and is loud, but when you need a snowblower, you need a real one.

I think you should buy a couple of nice shovels if money is a big deal.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

brianH

Post by brianH » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:22 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:01 am
Don't cheap out on this item, that's my advice. Get a real, dual-stage gas powered snowblower. Yes it costs more and takes up more space and is loud, but when you need a snowblower, you need a real one.
As a counter-point, your location matters dramatically to what type of snow-clearing device to get. For example, if I lived in Rochester, NY, with an annual average snowfall of 100 inches, and I had a large driveway, I'd be inclined to spare no expense on my snowblower. However, I live near Philly, which gets less than a 1/4 of that amount (22"/year). Typically, our per-storm snowfall amounts are below the double digit inches, and a good single-stage blower or one of those 'throwers' is sufficient. If a rare, large storm is scheduled, one might need to clear while it is still snowing, but that's an exception.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/ ... y-city.php

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 am

brianH wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:22 am
As a counter-point, your location matters dramatically to what type of snow-clearing device to get. For example, if I lived in Rochester, NY, with an annual average snowfall of 100 inches, and I had a large driveway, I'd be inclined to spare no expense on my snowblower. However, I live near Philly, which gets less than a 1/4 of that amount (22"/year). Typically, our per-storm snowfall amounts are below the double digit inches, and a good single-stage blower or one of those 'throwers' is sufficient. If a rare, large storm is scheduled, one might need to clear while it is still snowing, but that's an exception.

Agree. Cincinnati shows snowfall equal to 11” per year average. You might need a dual stage gas blower maybe once every 5 years. But for a typical 4 inch snowfall and the $150 spent (the cord was $40), it beats the living heck out of shoveling it (50x20 driveway).

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 am

vitaflo wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
The same thing that happens when you run out of gas and can't get out of your driveway because it's filled with snow? Besides, being without electricity in the middle of winter, a snowblower is the least of your problems.
Nope, if i know its going to snow, I fill up in advance of the snow and always have helpful neighbors who will kindly share some gas. On the other hand, when the power is out in the entire neighborhood, you are up the creek with no paddle unless you have a generator and the fossil fuel to keep it going. :P
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 am
brianH wrote:

Agree. Cincinnati shows snowfall equal to 11” per year average. You might need a dual stage gas blower maybe once every 5 years. But for a typical 4 inch snowfall and the $150 spent (the cord was $40), it beats the living heck out of shoveling it (50x20 driveway).
That's my point. Who needs a blower at all for 4 inches twice a year? You can probably just wait for it to melt, pay the neighbor kid $5, or spend 10 minutes shoveling it. I wouldn't want to store it for 11 inches a year. You can't even ski an 11 inch base.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:13 pm
Kenkat wrote:
brianH wrote:

That's my point. Who needs a blower at all for 4 inches twice a year? You can probably just wait for it to melt, pay the neighbor kid $5, or spend 10 minutes shoveling it. I wouldn't want to store it for 11 inches a year. You can't even ski an 11 inch base.
$30 if you can even find a neighbor kid; around an hour to shovel by hand (vs. maybe 20 minutes with much less effort with the blower), and it can take a week sometimes to melt. It is 1000 sq. ft. plus; worth the minimal garage space the blower occupies - about the size of a garbage can since I can stand it upright. It’s honestly the right tool for the job in my opinion.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 am
vitaflo wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Nope, if i know its going to snow, I fill up in advance of the snow and always have helpful neighbors who will kindly share some gas. On the other hand, when the power is out in the entire neighborhood, you are up the creek with no paddle unless you have a generator and the fossil fuel to keep it going. :P
Or, you know, charge the batteries before the snow comes? It's not like you have to charge the batteries the day of the storm.

Pilgprog

Post by Pilgprog » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Question’s answer is age and health and Driveway and gps related 😎

For me,
At 90,
In good health
With 3600 sq ft of gently sloping gravel driveway
In Northern New Hampshire

The best answer after many years of trial, exploring the
Shovel, and
Electric corded thrower, and
A kind neighbor’s F150 with blade (serious damage to flower/shrub beds), and finally
Husquevarna’s gasoline-powered, electric plug-in start, self-propelled, $1,000, snow blower,

The best answer has been the Husque... Happy as can be. Dependable, almost effortless to guide, blows/blasts through 20” , and blows it 20’-30’ in a high arc. Spectacular. And it has headlights, and the handles-controls are heated! And with proper training, DW can drive it.

😇😎😀.

North Woods, to stay.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:03 pm

catdude wrote:
Hi Bogleheads -

Would not work for me, too much snow and too long a driveway + I also clean sidewalks so we can walk the dog, Very happy with my ariens platinum 24" SHO.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:18 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:37 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 am
vitaflo wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Or, you know, charge the batteries before the snow comes? It's not like you have to charge the batteries the day of the storm.
How many clearings does a battery normally get you? It would seem like the hypothetical power loss situation is likely to come at a time when multiple drive clearings will need to happen. A widespread ice storm also seems like it would be an issue. It isn't just about raw snow amounts.These aren't meant as criticisms, just things to think about.

This is a super geography dependent issue. I don't always get 24 hours warning of snow, but for some its a once a winter event. As far as the gas comment goes, most of us in snow belts tend to not leave our gas tanks close to empty in the winter, so a siphon would probably do the trick. Running out of gas after you have slid off in -40 windchills isn't a mistake you always get to make twice.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:13 pm
Kenkat wrote:
brianH wrote:

If you can't get out of the garage with a 4 inch snowfall, you need to shop for tires, not a snowthrower.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Regarding snowblower power... electric motors generate max torque at 0 RPM. The $90,000 Tesla beat $1.2 million supercars off the line as a side-effect of being electric.

Regarding loss of power... going out to get more gas during heavy continual day-in-day-out snowfall would likely be more troublesome than slapping a battery on the charger. If you lose power for more than a day in the winter, you have bigger problems than keeping your driveway clear. And if you are in a place that that happens regularly, you have a generator or other backup power.

Regarding type of snow... a regular leaf-blower works wonders even on deep powdery snow. Save yourself some shoveling and use a leaf-blower instead.