Use of online teaching platforms for income?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rsanchez

Use of online teaching platforms for income?

Post by Rsanchez » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Hello Friends,

I’ve been thinking about creating online courses in public health statistical analysis on platforms like data camp, udemy, and teachable. I’ve taught biostatistics at the undergraduate level, so I have some good resources. I also know SAS and R very well.

My question is, do you or do you know someone who’s built online On-demand classes?

What kind of course is it? How much time did it take to complete? What’s the price? How much revenue does it generate you per month or year?

Thanks!

AerialWombat

Re: Use of online teaching platforms for income?

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:40 pm

This is more or less my “day job” business. I create very niched continuing education courses for lawyers and CPAs. It started as a side hustle, and eventually spun off what is now a seven-figure tech startup and a high six figure training/publishing business.

The biggest advice I can give you is to build your own audience AWAY from the platforms you mentioned. Do not become beholden to a platform like Udemy or whatnot. You will not make the “big money”, and you cannot control the student experience, your marketing, or really anything else.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Topic Author
Rsanchez

Post by Rsanchez » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 am

Thank you. Can you share your site? Did you use a third party platform like teachable to host your courses?

PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am

I have not created a course of my own, but have blogging friends who have.

To be successful with them, you generally need a large audience. It helps if the audience is your own -- they already know and trust you -- but you can also do well if the "influencers" or popular sites in your particular niche are willing to promote your course as affiliate marketers for a percentage of the income. These programs are bulit into the popular online platforms (Teachable, Kajabi, Udemy, etc...)

I have heard that Udemy does a decent job of promoting courses, often by offering steep discounts. But selling some $49 courses is better than selling 0 $499 courses.

:beer
-PoF