Living life post smart phone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Toons

Re: Living life post smart phone

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 am

Naw
No Way,,
I gotta be able to stream Youtube
"On The Fly"
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:41 am

Deleted
Last edited by BogleMelon on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 am

BradJ wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:20 am
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 am
BradJ wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 am
Thank you all for your helpful responses. My struggle is not checking e-mails, like GPS , e-mail is something I would like to have so I could use it if needed. My struggle is that I find myself looking at my phone during boring business meetings (faux pas) and relaxing at the house when the kids go to bed. I do not like TV or movies, so my phone is the gateway to mentally relax at the end of the day.
Just put it physically away in a place where you can't get to it easily. Phones are not allowed in my department's meetings (I asked HR and they said it was OK); my employees have to leave them at their desks. My wife puts her phone upstairs in her nightstand immediately when getting home. There have been studies showing that even when it is not within arms-length but simply visible, like on a table across the room, that people have a difficult time not going and picking it up.
I agree, at times I feel like I can sympathize with Gollum and his relationship to the ring. One caveat to all of this is that my family is currently dealing with a huge health crisis (my young son has cancer), so having the phone close by is a must and we find ourselves having the challenge of killing time in the hospital during his visits and overnight stays. That being said, this is a behavior that I need to change to have a better life, in my opinion. It is ironic that I do not watch Youtube, visit Facebook....it is pure news and finance sites.
Sorry to hear about your son; well wishes.

You’ve already taken care of half of what sucks about smartphones by not visiting Facebook. Go another step and delete your account.

I would resent the extra time I wasted if I got rid of my smartphone, the same way I bristle at someone writing out a check in a grocery checkout. I like being able to select Amex CC, have the phone recognize my face, and wave it at the register.

I’m doing extensive renovations at my house. The contractors and I get in touch via text. Way better than phone calls, especially if I’m trying to coordinate 3 of them at once.

Don’t feel bad about your phone use. Embrace the device for the marvel that it is. Just resist, as much as possible, the surveillance capitalism it enables.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:14 am

BradJ wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:55 pm
Has anyone here devolved and went back to using a regular phone after years of using a smart phone? If so, which phone did you get.
I’m interested in removing the temptation of always being on my iPhone by removing the phone all together. I would love to find a phone that could still check e-mail and have gps, if possible. Thank you.
Have you tried the screen time function in iphone Setting? Go to settings>>screen time.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 am

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:21 am
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:24 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:09 am
novemberrain wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 am

What happens when an employee gets a call during your meeting from his child's school that their child was involved in an accident and has been hospitalized ? It has legal ramifications as well if that call was missed because of your HR policies. That (or similar) is the reason many adults need to carry a reachable device at all times.
In that case, is a few minutes going to make a difference? BTW, as I think, I have 1 single employee (out of 21) who has a child and they have a SAHM wife. You can think of a million theoretical situations, none of them change the fact that phones are a considerable distraction (not in a good way) in almost every contemporary environment.

FWIW, my boss, one of the owners of the company, makes anybody who comes into his office leave their phone in a basket by the front door.
I don't need to ban phones from my department's meetings. If my employees aren't smart and respectful enough to keep them in their pockets, then I've done a bad job of hiring and it's on me to fix it.
Don't disagree at all, I'd love to only hire people who don't have this issue, but that isn't realistic. Just read this thread; the OP is a successful professional who openly admits to playing around on his phone in meetings and he isn't the only one admitting it (in this thread). If you have managed to never hire someone who is on their phone when they should not be, then you are the best interviewer on the planet and need to write a book. I'd buy it.
I have a different view. Once you're successful, you can play on your phone in boring meetings. I do. I'm talking about setting the tone for people who work for me.
And you "set the tone" how?

Maybe it's OK in some settings, in others it absolutely is not. I am "successful", a senior director in a large corporation but if I played on my phone in a meeting that included any of our executives (which is at least half of my meetings), I might very well lose my job. As I noted earlier, my boss makes everybody who comes into his office put their phone in a basket at the door, and a few years ago I watched him fire someone on the spot who refused to do so.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 am
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

In that case, is a few minutes going to make a difference? BTW, as I think, I have 1 single employee (out of 21) who has a child and they have a SAHM wife. You can think of a million theoretical situations, none of them change the fact that phones are a considerable distraction (not in a good way) in almost every contemporary environment.

FWIW, my boss, one of the owners of the company, makes anybody who comes into his office leave their phone in a basket by the front door.
I don't need to ban phones from my department's meetings. If my employees aren't smart and respectful enough to keep them in their pockets, then I've done a bad job of hiring and it's on me to fix it.
Don't disagree at all, I'd love to only hire people who don't have this issue, but that isn't realistic. Just read this thread; the OP is a successful professional who openly admits to playing around on his phone in meetings and he isn't the only one admitting it (in this thread). If you have managed to never hire someone who is on their phone when they should not be, then you are the best interviewer on the planet and need to write a book. I'd buy it.
I have a different view. Once you're successful, you can play on your phone in boring meetings. I do. I'm talking about setting the tone for people who work for me.

Maybe it's OK in some settings, in others it absolutely is not. I am "successful", a senior director in a large corporation but if I played on my phone in a meeting that included any of our executives (which is at least half of my meetings), I might very well lose my job. As I noted earlier, my boss makes everybody who comes into his office put their phone in a basket at the door, and a few years ago I watched him fire someone on the spot who refused to do so.
I hope that last bit is an exaggeration...what a ridiculous thing to do.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 am
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

Nope, not an exaggeration.

Again, how do you "set the tone"?

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:18 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

While i think that is ridiculous, if I was in charge I would make it clear that messing around with cell phones in meetings would not be tolerated. I find that very disrespectful (along with sleeping in meetings). If meetings drag on that long or are that useless, then they shouldn't be having them.

Now I do know a restaurant where the manager takes every employee's phone when they show up for their shift, and then returns it at the end of the shift. That is probably a good idea based on some other places I've visited and watched employees ignoring customers while playing on the phone.

Most of my work experience have been in more secure environments where cell phones are not allowed. Over the last few years I did work somewhere where phones were allowed and while convenient, too many people abused it.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 am

rich126 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:18 am
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

Now I do know a restaurant where the manager takes every employee's phone when they show up for their shift, and then returns it at the end of the shift. That is probably a good idea based on some other places I've visited and watched employees ignoring customers while playing on the phone.

No joke, my 16yr old sister lost her first job (McDonalds) a few weeks ago for leaving her work station to play on her phone.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am

stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

Basically, what Rich said right below your post. People on my team are told that they're not to use their phones in meetings. They're adults, they don't need to have their phones confiscated like they're 5 years old. I've never had a problem with phone usage in my meetings.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:15 pm

stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

Definitely not going to happen in any Silicon Valley tech company that I am familiar with. As mentioned earlier by other poster's, yes, employees are expected to have some self control w.r.t phone usage. But on the other hand, a Silicon Valley employer is not a scout master or a drill sergeant who has to force employees to forcibly part with their phones (at the threat of dismissal). If I found myself at such a company or industry, I don't know why I would continue working there. I'd find it insulting
Last edited by novemberrain on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:18 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 am
rich126 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:18 am
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

No joke, my 16yr old sister lost her first job (McDonalds) a few weeks ago for leaving her work station to play on her phone.
Exactly. For those industries, it is probably required to enforce firings for phone usage. Not only for burger flippers, but also for managers and directors. But for any creative industry that fights for talent, such firings absolutely will not work. Those companies will cease to exist because of sites like glassdoor and blind. If a director at one of the FAANG companies had such a basket (for putting phones) inside their office, it is the director who will be without a job pretty soon.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

Basically, what Rich said right below your post. People on my team are told that they're not to use their phones in meetings. They're adults, they don't need to have their phones confiscated like they're 5 years old. I've never had a problem with phone usage in my meetings.
Cool, that hasn't worked for me no matter how many times I try. Again, just look at the responses in this thread, numerous successful professionals admitting to playing on their phones in meetings. I have a difficult time believing this is acceptable in their work environments, but maybe I'm just out of touch with what constitutes professionalism in the modern world (I'm all of 38) or I'm just that mean boss who enforces rules?

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:20 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 pm
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

Cool, that hasn't worked for me no matter how many times I try. Again, just look at the responses in this thread, numerous successful professionals admitting to playing on their phones in meetings. I have a difficult time believing this is acceptable in their work environments, but maybe I'm just out of touch with what constitutes professionalism in the modern world (I'm all of 38) or I'm just that mean boss who enforces rules?
Well, it's only a rule if it's stated. Proper etiquette is different than deliberately playing on your phone after your boss explicitly said not to. If I never said anything to my team, I wouldn't expect them not to check their phones.

If I'm in a meeting of peers, I have no problem discreetly checking my phone. If I'm in with the CEO, I'm smart enough to keep it in my pocket.

I've also been known to simply say "I haven't been paying attention" in certain meetings. It's all about knowing your audience.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:20 pm
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

If I'm in a meeting of peers, I have no problem discreetly checking my phone. If I'm in with the CEO, I'm smart enough to keep it in my pocket.
So you’re not okay with disrespecting CEO but for everyone else you’re cool with it?

Now Boarding

Post by Now Boarding » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:51 am

I'm a teacher (at a boarding school, hence the username) and I don't allow cell phones in my classroom. Students also check them in during study hall. Nothing good comes from teenagers having constant access to a smartphone.

rj49

Post by rj49 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:41 am

You might read “Indistractable”, an interesting book that tries to deal with the underlying causes of screen addiction and use mindfulness and techniques to limit use, rather than abstinence. Other alternatives I’ve tried have included going with a limited data plan, such as on Red Pocket or Mint Mobile, or switching from an iPhone to a less-appealing Android phone, or going to an iPhone SE with a small screen. I’ve also tried keeping my phone in the garage, particularly overnight, with a Bluetooth connection to my watch so I don’t miss calls, but with no other notifications. I’ve also found that using Brave Browser without importing bookmarks helps, so I’m less tempted to go through bookmarks, and without saved passwords or credit cards, that also discourages shopping and checking bank/investment accounts. News fasts are also helpful, especially with financial and political drama causing stress over things you can’t control.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 am

FireSekr wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:20 pm
stoptothink wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

So you’re not okay with disrespecting CEO but for everyone else you’re cool with it?
I assume that if someone feels disrespected, they'll say something. If someone says something, I would respect that and stop using my phone. If people are quiet, then they either don't feel disrespected or don't feel it's a big enough deal to say something to me about it. If nobody says anything, I'm not going to worry about it.

Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:12 am

Interesting discussion. Smartphones are a tool. Do you own it, or does it own you?

It sounds like the OP wants to avoid the later. Either put the phone away so you can’t see the tantalizing little flashing light or notice it vibrate...or maybe find a setting to enable that silences it when it’s face down. Making eye contact is a huge these days - it can get you promoted (jk, your boss may be staring at the phone or computer screen too much to notice :oops: ).

For what stoptothink is saying: I really appreciate it when executives very obviously place their phones on the meeting table/desk face down and don’t touch all meeting. It’s expected of less senior employees. Period. We (mostly) have efficient meetings that end when we’re done, before the prescribed 30 min or 1 hour that the Outlook calendar blocks out (I know, rare as unicorns).
People who mess with the phone only get partial respect from me :D - because they’re checking their stock or sports, not putting out fires in the company. If fire is that critical, then GO. It’s rude, and I’m not “old” :) Also not in Silicon Valley.

Doesn’t Warren Buffet use a flip phone?? Maybe that was a rumor. After I read about research demonstrating that the location/navigation centers in the brain basically atrophied when people used GPS to get everywhere, I was done with the “convenience”. That was long before dopamine research was published. So, good on the OP for at least thinking about the phone usage!!!

Good luck. And telling that most of our responses are aghast or at least flummoxed at the very thought of not using the darn phone.