Ordering Model Y now - free option on price changes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
we1

Ordering Model Y now - free option on price changes?

Post by we1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm

I intend to purchase a Tesla Model Y once production starts. With Tesla constantly changing prices both up and down, I’m thinking to place the order now to lock in a price. It costs $2,500 to place an order. The order can be edited or canceled for a refund. Any thoughts?

In August, prices were increased by $1,000 for all new Model Y orders. Last week, Model 3 prices were increased and delivery times have gone up to 6-10 weeks. It used to be deliveries in just a few days for anyone who wanted one. Now that they’re selling in all major markets globally and production capacity hasn’t gone up, I’m slightly concerned we might see other price increases later. I don’t they’ll have enough production capacity in place short-term to serve all demand once Y ramps. Yes, I know about the China factory but based on stated plans, don’t know how much that’ll help.

Other factors - I do need a car relatively soon so while I can wait a year or so for Y to come out, I don’t want to wait 2-3 years for Y. I’ll pay cash for the car and already have the funds earmarked currently earning around 1.8% in short-term treasuries.

Any reasons you wouldn’t place an order if you’re fairly certain you’re eventually going to buy one?

Flyer24

Re: Ordering Model Y now - free option on price changes?

Post by Flyer24 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

Balefire

Post by Balefire » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Whenever possible avoid the 1st year of a new model. There are often bugs and issues that will require visits to the dealer for warranty

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 pm

would avoid - look up repair times for tesla. wait a few years.

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:25 pm

Being refundable, the only downside is forgone interest.

However, we did have a bad experience with a X deposit/order. A long while after placing our deposit, the ability to spec and order opened. We placed our order at a showroom, we told that early orders would be built first and resumed waiting. Several months later, we got an email saying that the higher spec cars were being built first and did we want to upgrade for about $10k. Declined and waited more. Got another email about changing the interior for faster order build. Declined and waiting again. Started reading messages on independent Tesla forums that standard suspension would not be built. Called Tesla and were assured our order was fine. Waited more but saw where forum member posted an email from Tesla confirming no standard suspension. Called Tesla again and they confirmed was true. No discount was offered for extra time waited, no discount on required upgrades to current build requirement, and our order would not have build priority if we did make their changes.

I believe the base model 3 builds have been postponed while they build the higher spec models.

I will never order a Tesla before builds start again but I hope your experience is better. Just have a plan B in mind if things take longer than planned.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 pm

I stood in line to order the Model 3 sight unseen, so I understand where you are coming from. If I had to guess, based on Elon Standard Time, it will be at least 18 months before the Y starts rolling of the line in any significant numbers.

But no, no issues in the deposit. Those that made the deposit for the 3, and chose to cancel, received their refund in a few days. Just use a major credit card.

Topic Author
we1

Post by we1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Thanks. I’m not seeing much risk on the order. Can always get the refund and in case the price goes up, I locked my price.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:57 pm

I put in the deposit.
Enjoying the 3 for now.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am

If you need a car in the immediate future then the Y can't be your first option. Either a) get a used car to fill in the gap or b) get a S, X or 3 instead.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Topic Author
we1

Post by we1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:48 am

harrychan wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am
If you need a car in the immediate future then the Y can't be your first option. Either a) get a used car to fill in the gap or b) get a S, X or 3 instead.
Don’t need one in immediate future. I can wait longer than a year but prefer to buy by mid 2021 if not a little sooner.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 am

Especially with Tesla's history I also would be nervous to get the 1st production units of a new model.

Body work cost (due to aluminum panels) is also worth consideration but if you are paying cash for this car, I presume you can afford a rental for a few months.

papito23

Post by papito23 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Looks like they may start rolling them out next summer!!!

https://electrek.co/2019/10/23/tesla-mo ... mmer-2020/
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:01 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 am
Especially with Tesla's history I also would be nervous to get the 1st production units of a new model.
My model X VIN is 0002xx, so that makes it a pretty early production unit. I haven’t had much trouble, but they are coming by to replace a faulty door latch tomorrow or Tuesday. Best car I’ve ever owned, better than our Range Rovers, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes (although the older Mercedes were pretty damn good), Saab, and BMW.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:07 pm

we1 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:15 pm
The order can be edited or canceled for a refund. Any thoughts?
Tesla is constantly changing their prices. Regular auto dealers (not the manufacturer) do the same, but it does not have the same visibility as Tesla (they are both manufacturer and dealer). Whether they will increase or decrease price is really hard to predict. I like to see a year or two of shaking the bugs out before buying a brand new model. Perhaps lease a car until then? Elon is always late. I'm still waiting for my full self drive that I bought in 2016. Had I known 3 years later I would have nothing for my money I would have skipped it.

If I had to have a Y, and a 3 would not do, I would get a 3 year lease on an alternate car as a stopgap measure. If that is not acceptable then put in the order for the Y and hope with 70% the content of the 3 that is will be OK.