Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

Post by Sandtrap »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 am I always have my backpack with me (if not on my back, then within a close distance), primarily because I don't eat out and I have food with me at all times, so I've never even considered ditching a wallet.
Good plan.
I like your setup.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

My wallet is in my back pocket. My phone is in my front pocket.

Maybe some day I will feel comfortable ditching the wallet. Today is not that day.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

snackdog wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am Remember that the wallet is the purse for the man. It is a convenient place to store everything you could possibly need.

Driving license
SS card
Amex
Visa
MC
Diners card
Discover
Chevron
Shell
Costco
AAA
AARP
Work badge
Health insurance
Prescription med card
Grocery club cards for Kroger,Costco, etc
Parking tags for gym and office
Spare key for house
Cash - both paper in many denominations and some coins, occasionally some foreign currency notes
Couple blank checks
Assorted receipts and memos, souvenir ballgame tickets, etc.
Family photo

I try to keep mine down to an inch thick. Requires a rubber band and can be a pain to sit on.i sometimes level myself out with a wad of napkins in the other pocket.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have used a Dopp Regatta off Amazon for a number of years ($16)
https://www.amazon.com/Dopp-Regatta-Poc ... B01MEBL4E4

I'm on #3. Gets replaced about every 3 years. Holds up well and has multiple ways to carry cards. I carry about 5-8 bills and 8 cards in it. If you were to fling the wallet across the room yes some cards probably would go flying. I don't do that and the cards stay put for how I use it. Only downside is that if you overstuff the wallet for a long time it will stretch out and the slots will be loose if you then downsize again.

I keep a few cards that I don't use very often in my car and the rest in a drawer at home. Also have many of them on my phone.
Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph »

Winston19 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 pm I use a slim wallet - Tom Bihn Nik's wallet. Perfect for carrying a few cards and a little cash.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/minimalist-wallets
You should ask for a commission. I've been looking for a new minimalist wallet and I just picked one of these up. (Version 3 in Black.) Thanks for sharing.
stoptothink

Re: Wallets

Post by stoptothink »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:57 pm I'll stop carrying a wallet when my present one wears out. I bought it in 1980 from a ski shop. It's synthetic something or other. It's starting to wear on one corner. Another hundred twenty years, it'll probably become a hole and that'll do it. I don't always carry my phone, so that won't work for me.
I still use my first wallet. Had to have been about 1996 when I got my first job at Baskin Robbins. It's showing some age but functions perfectly.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I'm a veteran of playing the credit card cashback optimization game, which means a number of cards to cover various categories of purchases, and I've been enjoying using Apple Pay to be able to easily switch between software versions of my cards to free myself of carrying all of them. However, like several posters above, I don't like the idea of putting important physical cards including driver's license in a sleeve attached to my phone. Instead, for a couple years, I've been using a slim "minimalist" wallet similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY ... UTF8&psc=1

The smaller wallet is great for license, insurance card, a couple credit cards that I want to use at places that don't take Apple Pay, and the very small amount of cash I keep on hand. No George Costanza wallet at all!
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

I do, but I've always gone light. I actually feel like I have too much stuff in my wallet right now but I'm not sure what else I can cut out.

- Driver's license
- Concealed pistol license
- Health insurance card (I'm going to see if I can go digital or might start leaving it in my car)
- Debit card (for rare cash situations only, might start keeping in car as well)
- 2 credit cards (daily driver plus backup)
- Work security card/badge
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Since I was a teenager, I have kept my cash wallet separate from my cards holder. The cards holder has my bank cards, drivers license, car registration, health insurance ID, and business cards from my doctors. I also keep any gift cards in there. The cash wallet has cash and some mostly unimportant other cards.

Keeping these things separate in 2 holders has been crucial in the 2 times I have had my cash wallet lost or stolen. The first time was back in college and I did keep my college ID and meal plan card with the cash. But the DL and bank card were not lost. The second time was after I finished college and was working full-time. Again, only the cash was stolen, but everything else was fine. This included my valuable monthly train pass (I was away from home) which I always kept in the card holder because it had those see-through plastic windows, making it quick and easy to flash it to the train crew.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

Edward Joseph wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:13 am I agree. I have many points and rewards cards for various stores, gas cards, grocery store cards, etc, but I leave them in my car console and only take them out if I'm actually walking into that particular store...
Forgot to also mention about these other reward/membership/gift cards. I have also loaded all of these in to Samsung Pay. I have everything from Dicks Sporting Goods to library card and even the swim school card for my kids. I also load all the gift cards that Samsung Pay supports... it's a good way for me to keep track of all of the gift cards instead of having them laying around in different places. One other app that I find helpful is the Target app which I also loaded my Target red card in to so that's even one less card that I have to carry around on me or in my car.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Sticking with a wallet.

Maybe when I retire I can ditch the wallet
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I slip this baby in my front pocket:
https://www.amazon.com/Minimalist-Alumi ... 939&sr=8-2

I carry 3 credit cards, two id's, a couple of business cards, a gift card or two, and usually a couple of bills.

It's very handy and will probably last forever.

JT
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

I have a George Costanza wallet. It is Handy for storing old receipts, appointment cards, random papers, and a little cash.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I like my billfold. It holds my lifetime Virginia fishing license, my North Carolina saltwater license, my boat registration, $400 in case I run into a good cash-only deal on something, the usual $200 or $300 walking around money. And a couple of bandaids.

Oh, and the usual stuff that's already been mentioned; DL, registration, insur. cards, and two credit/ATM cards. I'm 6' tall and weigh 210 and a small billfold has never been a burden or gotten in the way of anything.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

I carry a carbon fiber, RFID blocking front pocket wallet containing 2 CC's, driver's license, insurance card, and some walking-around cash. Life got simpler after retiring.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just returned home from Fort Myers, FL. In preparation for traveling I moved everything back into a small card wallet. Now that I am back home necessary cards have been moved to card holder on back of cell phone.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

snackdog wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am Remember that the wallet is the purse for the man. It is a convenient place to store everything you could possibly need.
I see what you did there! But you forgot the little piece of paper advertising guitar lessons.
bowest

Post by bowest »

Smartphones have helped me pare back from what was a Constanza-like wallet.

Big fan of Tom Bihn's minimalist wallets: drivers license, insurance card, work access/ID, couple credit cards and some cash fit in there.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/minima ... 2283372607
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

SrGrumpy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:09 pm
I see what you did there! But you forgot the little piece of paper advertising guitar lessons.
Don’t forget the hard candy.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

I carry my Samsung Galaxy S9 in a book-style cover and a Calti titanium front pocket wallet. The wallet holds about eight cards and some cash in the money clip. I recently went to the front pocket wallet after using a nylon bifold for decades.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

I'm shocked that the more frugal and DIY-ish among us don't make their own wallets:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Duct-Tape-Wallet
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Excellent post. Thank you for the feedback and options.
JimMolony

Post by JimMolony »

I use this "U" shaped piece of aluminum called the Decadent Minimalist (google it or Amazon). You can get them to carry like 4, 8 or 12 cards. Very small and easily slips in my front pocket. Too worried about carrying a wallet in my back pocket these days. I got the 8 card version and only carry 7 pieces of plastic in it and slide a couple $20's in between the cards.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I carry an RFID wallet which I place in a crossbody purse.

A “purse” is simply the female version of a murse.
graeme

Post by graeme »

My Flowfold carries is made from durable sailcloth, is super thin, and hold around a dozen cards plus cash.

For RFID blocking, a sheet of aluminum foil wrapped around a dollar sized piece of thin cardboard like a manila folder works. Wrap that in packing tape and it will last for years.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I had a cheap minimalists wallet for several years and then my dad tried a ridge wallet and showed me. I got one and haven't looked back.

https://www.ridgewallet.com/
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Keys, slim wallet, phone. Front pockets.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I love my minimalist wallet(s). I have tried a few of them - amazingly, the cheapest and simplest one works the best for me, although to be fair, all of them are good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072H ... UTF8&psc=1

The best things about this one:
- It is as small as the cards you put in it. Literally no bigger.
- Cheap, but super durable - mine is 2 yrs old and is as good as new! Really - the elastic cash strap doesn't wear out (granted I don't use it much, but I keep a $20 in there all the time, it's never fallen out.)

I've gone down to drivers license, ATM/cash card, and main credit card. We're on the verge of losing cards completely, but alas, still not there yet. This minimalist wallet is pretty darn close though.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Yep.
No reason not to carry a wallet.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I carry the wallet my wife gave me for sentimental reasons. There's not really any other reason. I'd need 4 cards: insurance, DL, MC and AMEX CCs (for places where the AMEX isn't accepted), and some cash. One of those "minimalist" wallets would be fine, but it's $30 I don't have to spend. (And I'm really starting to despise people putting the word "minimalist" in front of stuff that was around before the minimalist movement.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Thanks. Returned home from a recent trip and once again using pocket attached to iPhone.

Minimalism! Love it.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

About 10 years ago, my son (then 12) made me a wallet out of duck tape. Still going strong. Occasionally I have to add another piece of tape. It's really small and fits in my front pocket nicely. Plan on using it until I'm gone.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

We still call it a "billfold" in the South. And yes I carry one for drivers license, three credit cards, blank bank deposit slips, auto insurance cards for three vehicles, miscellaneous greenbacks to give youngsters for various fundraising, health insurance card.

It's about an inch thick and wears a frayed spot in my favorite. BUT, it makes me think of my dad when he would pull it out to make a purchase for one of us kids, like a fishing rod and reel.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Infiniti 270 wallet from Amazon. Probably the best purchase of my life. It's a minimalist wallet. Before I just used a clip on my cards and cash.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I still carry a wallet. Have never thought of stopping.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Tried the phone case with slots but just had to much to carry. I bought the “Big Skinny” wallet. It is so thin and holds so much. Good price and very comfortable while sitting in my back pocket. Bought from a vendor at the Georgia State Fair but have purchased as gifts on Amazon.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

lightheir wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:31 pm I love my minimalist wallet(s). I have tried a few of them - amazingly, the cheapest and simplest one works the best for me, although to be fair, all of them are good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072H ... UTF8&psc=1
Says "currently unavailable." I hunted around and found this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MT9Z6RF/

I like it. It holds all I need, which is nearly all I had in my old wallet! When full it is thinner and more compact than my old wallet is when empty -- a much more efficient use of material. I also like that it folds and the bills are inside instead of hanging off the outside.

I think it will work out just fine but I'll live with it for a while and see.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

SuperGrafx wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:59 am Yep.
I assume you wear a wristwatch and a hat, too.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

EddyB wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:56 pm
If you don't want to carry an electronic leash phone how else would you know what time it is?
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
hudson

Post by hudson »

mindboggling wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:13 pm I use a cardholder and a money clip--and have for many years. Maybe I should get rid of the money clip and just carry cash loose. I live in a rural area and people still use cash. :shock:
One can't operate without cash where I live, so I carry an old school wallet....ugh.
I would love to be a minimalist but the wallet has the "tools" that I need to get through the day.
I'm ready to slim down; but I don't see any way.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

invest4 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:51 pm I never really considered going completely wallet free. However, I did reduce quite a bit via the Bellroy Slim Sleeve a couple of years ago.

3 credit cards
Driver's license
Health insurance card
Few 20s or a fifty in cash

My phone is an iphone SE...also can't imagine any larger.
+1 for Bellroy. I don't recall which one I have, but it is small and in my front pocket. I carry a few more items than you, but it's great.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

prioritarian wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:00 pm When google and/or samsung pay is more widely accepted, I will enthusiastically ditch my wallet. Money is a human conceit so it's entirely appropriate that it should be intangible.
Samsung pay can be used whenever you can physically access a mag stripe reader. It simulates a card swipe. That still doesn't cover 100% of cases, but it gets you much closer.
hudson

Post by hudson »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:02 pm
prioritarian wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:00 pm When google and/or samsung pay is more widely accepted, I will enthusiastically ditch my wallet. Money is a human conceit so it's entirely appropriate that it should be intangible.
Samsung pay can be used whenever you can physically access a mag stripe reader. It simulates a card swipe. That still doesn't cover 100% of cases, but it gets you much closer.
That's neat...thanks for sharing! I don't think Apple Pay will do that; I'm sure that they are working on it.
Where do you hit snags?
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

7eight9 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 pm
EddyB wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:56 pm
If you don't want to carry an electronic leash phone how else would you know what time it is?
Isn’t the sun in the sky good enough?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

hudson wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:10 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:02 pm
That's neat...thanks for sharing! I don't think Apple Pay will do that; I'm sure that they are working on it.
Where do you hit snags?
If there is a situation where you can't access a mag stripe reader. Like paying for dinner at a restaurant where the server disappears with your credit card for 5 minutes.

Apple Pay and Google Pay do not simulate a card swipe.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I would never attach my "wallet" to my cell phone any more than I would add my car key to it.

Small leather billfold with drivers license, health insurance card, concealed carry ID, lifetime membership college union card (to buy beer) and a couple credit/debit cards and usually no cash.

Except for Las Vegas - ditch the wallet, CC ID, union card, debit card and add a wad of cash held together by a binder clip. :beer
busterfree915

Post by busterfree915 »

I carry a flipside wallet. I am surprised that it was not mentioned already. I am always getting comments when I pull it out for a purchase. I can fit some cash, DL, work cc, personal cc and back up, health card, and costco card.

www.flipsidewallet.com
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I've had the same wallet for about 15 years now. This is what it looked like when it was new.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:34 pmI hunted around and found this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MT9Z6RF/
Yikes! I paid $24.99. It is now listed as $20.99 with a one-day deal at $9.34!

I say "snatch it up!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
anoop

Post by anoop »

This is what I have
https://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html
It has allowed me to slowly reduce what I carry. It is flexible enough to hold 20+ cards + cash. When I started I had a lot of cards, but I'm now down to just 6 -- ATM, credit, license, health insurance, drug plan, and AAA cards.