Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Bogleheads -

After a period of time of wishing and hoping to someday be wallet free it has finally happened. A little over a month ago I upgraded my iPhone to an Xr. I also purchased a card holder sleeve that is on back of the phone case. The sleeve contains three cards: license, credit card, health insurance. Nothing else.

Whatever cash I have (usually not much, if any) is placed in my pocket.

Carrying keys and the phone/card sleeve only has been enjoyable and much easier and simple.

How many Bogleheads have discarded wallets or are doing something similar?
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

7eight9

Re: Wallets

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 pm

I don't think I've carried a wallet per se for the past thirty years. Just a drivers license and some credit cards stuck in the middle of a some bills folded in half secured with a rubber band (preferably the nice thick ones the grocery stores use for asparagus). I prefer not to carry a cell phone so most of the time I leave it at home.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:56 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 pm
I don't think I've carried a wallet per se for the past thirty years. Just a drivers license and some credit cards stuck in the middle of a some bills folded in half secured with a rubber band (preferably the nice thick ones the grocery stores use for asparagus). I prefer not to carry a cell phone so most of the time I leave it at home.
Interesting. I did not enjoying carry everything in my pockets.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Just out of curiousity I weighed what I'm currently carrying. 43 grams (less than two ounces) - 92mm x 68mm:

Drivers license
AMEX
Citi MC
Chase Visa
BoA Visa
Exxon/Mobil rewards
$20x4
$10x1
$5x5
$1x4
+rubber band

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:05 pm

I know someone who had their wallet and cell phone all in one holder, and while they were travelling away from home they put their phone down and it was stolen while they were not looking. It was a nightmare for them, not only did they lose their primary means of communication, but they also lost their "wallet" so they had no way of paying for anything. To the best of my knowledge this person no longer carries their wallet and phone in one holder, the risk is too high.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:12 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:02 pm
Just out of curiousity I weighed what I'm currently carrying. 43 grams (less than two ounces) - 92mm x 68mm:

Drivers license
AMEX
Citi MC
Chase Visa
BoA Visa
Exxon/Mobil rewards
$20x4
$10x1
$5x5
$1x4
+rubber band
Interesting. Many years ago we went down to one credit card. All spending goes on that card. It made everything much more simple.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I use a cardholder and a money clip--and have for many years. Maybe I should get rid of the money clip and just carry cash loose. I live in a rural area and people still use cash. :shock:
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:20 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:12 pm
7eight9 wrote:

Drivers license
AMEX
Citi MC
Chase Visa
BoA Visa
Exxon/Mobil rewards
$20x4
$10x1
$5x5
$1x4
+rubber band
Interesting. Many years ago we went down to one credit card. All spending goes on that card. It made everything much more simple.
I don't carry all my credit cards. That would make my rubber band wallet too thick. There are another 14 or 15 in the sock drawer.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:34 pm

I guess I'm a troglodyte. I would rather get rid of my cell phone than my wallet.

I did leave my watch on my nightstand when I retired. There it sits today. I predict that my cell phone will reside next to it before my wallet does, but the watch will likely remain unaccompanied for quite some time.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Going all electronic has some risks.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... r-20574192

Can happen without electronics and/or you lose your wallet, but it's good to have extra battery power and/or a backup plan.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:43 pm

I use a card wallet. I carry 6-7 payment cards for various purposes (different reward categories, business CC, authorized user, etc), health insurance card, driver's license, and $60 cash. I keep those cards, plus a few more in Apple Pay.

I am not a fan of phone wallets because it would be exponentially worse, in my view, to lose my phone and wallet at the same time. I've never lost either, but I can only imagine how much harder it would be to get back home with neither. I also make use of wireless charging and have a metal card, so that would interfere.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:57 pm

I'll stop carrying a wallet when my present one wears out. I bought it in 1980 from a ski shop. It's synthetic something or other. It's starting to wear on one corner. Another hundred twenty years, it'll probably become a hole and that'll do it. I don't always carry my phone, so that won't work for me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:00 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm
Bogleheads -

After a period of time of wishing and hoping to someday be wallet free it has finally happened. A little over a month ago I upgraded my iPhone to an Xr. I also purchased a card holder sleeve that is on back of the phone case. The sleeve contains three cards: license, credit card, health insurance. Nothing else.

Whatever cash I have (usually not much, if any) is placed in my pocket.

Carrying keys and the phone/card sleeve only has been enjoyable and much easier and simple.

How many Bogleheads have discarded wallets or are doing something similar?
I always carry my wallet with me. Any other way is way too dangerous.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:02 pm

I will never, ever tie my wallet to my phone by purchasing a case/holder for the phone. You lose the phone, you lose the wallet.

I'm not willing to deal with the DMV for the sake of simplicity. I've proven I'm willing to carry things in my pockets if I'm already carrying my phone in one, right?

Instead, I've opted for a slim, metal wallet with money clip (similar to a Ridge wallet) that won't allow for bending of cards in my back pocket like some of the other slim wallets do.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:14 pm

For your consideration:

https://youtu.be/TU4kot-fMTA

https://youtu.be/4tuDwbDMidM

Surely the answers lie within.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm

If you are a man and put your phone in your pocket, don't those cases add too much bulk that might catch when pulling in and out of your pocket? It seems to me that it would also make it more of a target for theft when setting it on a table, bartop or wherever as it is an expensive phone + ID + credit cards.

I use a nylon stretchy credit card thingy I bought on Amazon. It is very thin and organizes the few things I carry with me (about 8 things total). It can go in my front or back pocket. On vacation I typically use only a money clip and only carry an ID, credit card and debit card plus some cash (carried in my front pocket). At home I rarely carry cash other than a few bucks hidden in the car or a $100 folded in with my credit cards.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:30 pm

I quit my wallet years ago. Money clip with DL, 1 Visa, 1 MasterCard, Ally Debit, 1 local gas card, Healthcare card. Any other cards are in my Apple "Wallet" or "Books" (AAA,AARP, Car Insurance, Dental, GoodRX, etc.) on my iPhone. Money clips goes in front pocket.
Too soon old, too late smart.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:37 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:28 pm
If you are a man and put your phone in your pocket, don't those cases add too much bulk that might catch when pulling in and out of your pocket?
They are a bit bulky. I generally carry mine in my hand if I take it somewhere. Most of the time, if I ever remember to take it when I leave I just toss it in the glove compartment. I suspect the population loosely divides between people who carry a phone on their person and those who generally don't.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm

When a smart phone can fold in half, hold a few cards and cash, and not generate heat, then I will ditch the wallet. For now, the wallet stays in my pocket, and the phone tags along in my backpack, car, or it stays home.

invest4

Post by invest4 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:51 pm

I never really considered going completely wallet free. However, I did reduce quite a bit via the Bellroy Slim Sleeve a couple of years ago.

3 credit cards
Driver's license
Health insurance card
Few 20s or a fifty in cash

My phone is an iphone SE...also can't imagine any larger.

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm

I spent last year with just phone/case
iPhone Poetic Nubuck case with
Drivers License
Credit Card
Work ID
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

GT99

Post by GT99 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:08 pm

abuss368 wrote:
7eight9 wrote:

Drivers license
AMEX
Citi MC
Chase Visa
BoA Visa
Exxon/Mobil rewards
$20x4
$10x1
$5x5
$1x4
+rubber band
There is some risk to this approach that would be making my life very difficult right now if I used it. A few days ago I took a trip out of the country. The next afternoon, I got a fraud alert text from Chase. Turned out someone had spoofed my card (I had it on me) and made several charges (unrelated to my trip). Cancelled the card, but if it were my only one I'd be stuck in a foreign country with no credit card, which would suck.
No idea how they were able to copy that card - it was my least used card. I hadn't used it in a month when I got the alert.

m524e

Re: Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

Post by m524e » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:20 pm

I carry three cards, two forms of id, and health insurance card in a Magpul DAKA Essential Slim Wallet. It's super thin and only cost me $16 off of Amazon!

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 pm

I use a slim wallet - Tom Bihn Nik's wallet. Perfect for carrying a few cards and a little cash.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/minimalist-wallets

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:51 pm

mpsz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:43 pm
I use a card wallet. I carry 6-7 payment cards for various purposes (different reward categories, business CC, authorized user, etc), health insurance card, driver's license, and $60 cash. I keep those cards, plus a few more in Apple Pay.

I am not a fan of phone wallets because it would be exponentially worse, in my view, to lose my phone and wallet at the same time. I've never lost either, but I can only imagine how much harder it would be to get back home with neither. I also make use of wireless charging and have a metal card, so that would interfere.
I went from a wallet to a card wallet to now just the phone. I was always worried about the card wallet because it was so thin and small. I accidentally dropped it a few times and almost lost it.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:56 pm

MikeWillRetire wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 pm
When a smart phone can fold in half, hold a few cards and cash, and not generate heat, then I will ditch the wallet. For now, the wallet stays in my pocket, and the phone tags along in my backpack, car, or it stays home.
That’s the scary part! Wall Street Journal has been running articles on the next generation of phones - already starting to hit the market - they fold in half.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Winston19 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:35 pm
I use a slim wallet - Tom Bihn Nik's wallet. Perfect for carrying a few cards and a little cash.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/minimalist-wallets
Me too. Love that wallet.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm

I still pay cash for things, but my old nylon wallet finally wore out, so now I carry a Butterfly Wallet (https://urbanultralight.com/product/butterfly-wallet/) and a little rubber squeeze purse for coins.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:42 pm

For most of my life, I carried ID and one credit/debit card rubber banded together. Switched to a wallet a few years ago, it’s mostly empty but I find it more convenient than replacing rubber bands.

I would never do the cell phone wallet thing, for same reason others mentioned.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

prioritarian

Post by prioritarian » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:00 pm

When google and/or samsung pay is more widely accepted, I will enthusiastically ditch my wallet. Money is a human conceit so it's entirely appropriate that it should be intangible.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:07 pm

abuss368 wrote:
7eight9 wrote:

Drivers license
AMEX
Citi MC
Chase Visa
BoA Visa
Exxon/Mobil rewards
$20x4
$10x1
$5x5
$1x4
+rubber band
I like my rewards too much :). I have 3-5 on me normally. Very low profile elastic wallet.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Combining phone and wallet seems like a horrible idea to me. Phones are high theft items, easy for snatch and grab or opportunist thieves, and exposed in public often. My phone gets used dozens of times per day, often where someone could grab it in a heartbeat. My wallet comes out of my pocket in public probably twice a day on average, four if you count opening doors at work with my RFID badge.

I did switch to a front pocket wallet years ago due to back pain. I had finally realized I didn't need a George Costanza wallet. I carry my DL, US Passport card, insurance card, 3-4 credit cards and whatever cash is left from my last $100 withdrawal nine months ago. I play the CC rewards game so I use a few cards depending on what I am buying. My 5% cash back on gas credit card stays in my car as a backup should my wallet ever go missing, or be forgotten, or if I'm buying gas.

For international travel I swap out any credit cards with foreign transaction fees for those without. I also carry two passport wallets (dual citizenship), so a backup credit card goes in each passport wallet which are on my body in transit (see cargo pants thread) or stashed in separate locations at my destination. My Global Entry card goes in my EU passport wallet so I can still prove US citizenship should my US passport wallet and regular wallet disappear. There is likely another credit card stashed in my carry on - I have about 30 due to the credit card rewards game so the more the merrier as backups. My regular wallet is always in my right front pocket in public along with car keys. Phone goes in the left front. Not having all three on me, such as on vacation without a rental car/keys, can drive me crazy as I am used to subconsciously checking to make sure all three are where they belong.

My wallet is whatever brand of leather that was $10 on Amazon a few years ago. You do need to be careful if you reduce the amount of stuff you carry as the leather will stretch and if you go from five cards to three they may fall out.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:27 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:34 pm
I guess I'm a troglodyte. I would rather get rid of my cell phone than my wallet.

I did leave my watch on my nightstand when I retired. There it sits today. I predict that my cell phone will reside next to it before my wallet does, but the watch will likely remain unaccompanied for quite some time.
A lot in common here. I often leave or forget my cell phone (usually on purpose) and took my watch off 15+ years ago when I retired and never put it back on. I want my wallet for organization and easy access to credit cards, ID, cash, license, insurance, etc. but keep it as thin as possible so not to be bothersome. I carry it in my back pocket but change it to a front pocket anytime I'm in a crowd.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:51 pm

I have a phone case that holds my license and 2 credit cards... one of which is my Costco card. I loaded my debit and other cards on to Samsung Pay... so I really use that when possible and to withdraw cash. When I travel, I switch back to my old money clip which also holds the same items as my phone case. For reasons mentioned previously... it would be a big hassle to lose all especially when far away from home. It'll still be a hassle if it happened while at home but I guess I feel it won't be as bad and can deal with it.

SGM

Post by SGM » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:29 am

I still carry a wallet and do not use my phone for any financial transactions.

Young people should be aware that telephone IDs do not replace the use of actual driver's licenses in certain locales. Telephone "driver's licenses" have been used in a sting by the local county police in 2019 involving under age drinking. Wait staff should be advised to only accept actual driver's licenses or risk having your restaurant closed down for several weeks.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am

Remember that the wallet is the purse for the man. It is a convenient place to store everything you could possibly need.

Driving license
SS card
Amex
Visa
MC
Diners card
Discover
Chevron
Shell
Costco
AAA
AARP
Work badge
Health insurance
Prescription med card
Grocery club cards for Kroger,Costco, etc
Parking tags for gym and office
Spare key for house
Cash - both paper in many denominations and some coins, occasionally some foreign currency notes
Couple blank checks
Assorted receipts and memos, souvenir ballgame tickets, etc.
Family photo

I try to keep mine down to an inch thick. Requires a rubber band and can be a pain to sit on.i sometimes level myself out with a wad of napkins in the other pocket.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 am

I tried going the slim wallet route for a while but found it was not for me. I have a regular leather wallet I keep relatively slim but I still have about 7 credit cards all told because I like to maximize rewards. I tried the slim wallet for a time but found that a) It was more work keeping track of what essentially became two wallets than one, and b) the slim wallet made accessing things way more difficult.

Most of the time I don’t actually carry my leather wallet in a pocket. Running around town I don’t carry it. I typically carry just my phone, perhaps my phone, a credit card and my ID if I know I might need them. Apple Pay is becoming ubiquitous enough now that I often just have my phone. Can’t wait for the day that it can also serve as my official ID and keys to my car, etc.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:17 am

Yes, still carry a wallet when we go out. Four credit cards, driver's license, proof of insurance,roughly $120 in assorted denominations, some cards for my photo site, AARP card, medical insurance cards and so forth. Since this is South Florida yearly attire is water shorts which have a Velcro left side hip pocket besides the normal two... of which one gets the cell the other car and house keys. .. all of which is topped off with a Polo brand T. Still wear a watch when I go out too. At eight years retired long pants and a shirt with a collar is formal wear AFAIC.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:17 am

Couple credit cards and ID wrapped in a hair tie.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:24 am

SGM wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:29 am
Same here. I prefer not to carry my phone all the time, it's too bulky to be comfortably carried and I don't feel the need to be connected 24/7 as some do. I also do not want to have all of my financial information tied to my phone and I don't want to be forced to carry my phone in order to make a purchase, my slim wallet is much smaller and easier to carry.

I sometimes see advertisements about using your phone to do certain things as if it is a better way, for example the movie theater advertises that you can purchase tickets through an app on your phone and show your phone when you enter the theater instead of a paper ticket. They advertise this as a new "feature" but as someone who prefers to leave their phone at home when I see a movie I prefer the old fashioned way of buying a paper ticket.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:23 am

I ditched my wallet over a year ago in favor of an iPhone case that holds my drivers license and 1 credit card. Any other cards (health insurance, store cards, etc) live in a zippered pouch in my glove box.

I’ll never go back.

For me, when trying to remember “keys, phone, wallet” when going out... my brain would always forget one of the three. I occasionally get nervous about the risk involved with leaving the phone on a table somewhere, but it’s a risk I’m willing to take for the freedom that comes from minimalism.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 am

I’m doing the iPhone case too.

It holds my debit card, license, and a $20.

All my other crap I keep in my planner.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

grettman

Post by grettman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am

SGM wrote:

Young people should be aware that telephone IDs do not replace the use of actual driver's licenses in certain locales. Telephone "driver's licenses" have been used in a sting by the local county police in 2019 involving under age drinking. Wait staff should be advised to only accept actual driver's licenses or risk having your restaurant closed down for several weeks.
And for those who exercise their 2A rights, in many states that require a concealed handgun permit, the physical permit must be w you when you carry.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:42 am

grettman wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am
SGM wrote:

And for those who exercise their 2A rights, in many states that require a concealed handgun permit, the physical permit must be w you when you carry.
+1. I carry fishing license as well

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 am

snackdog wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am
Remember that the wallet is the purse for the man. It is a convenient place to store everything you could possibly need.

Driving license
SS card
Amex
Visa
MC
Diners card
Discover
Chevron
Shell
Costco
AAA
AARP
Work badge
Health insurance
Prescription med card
Spare key for house
Cash - both paper in many denominations and some coins, occasionally some foreign currency notes
Couple blank checks
Family photo

I try to keep mine down to an inch thick. Requires a rubber band and can be a pain to sit on.i sometimes level myself out with a wad of napkins in the other pocket.
Why would you need all of that on a daily basis!?!

I use a titanium wallet, of the 4 card variety. I highly recommend slimming down.

Decadent Minimalist
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 am

I carry a slim wallet that holds $50 in cash, my drivers license, two credit cards, and my metro fare card. As needed, I temporarily add my Medicare card, my Blue Cross card, or my debit card, but these get removed immediately after use.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 am

I always have my backpack with me (if not on my back, then within a close distance), primarily because I don't eat out and I have food with me at all times, so I've never even considered ditching a wallet.

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 am

I'm not a label guy, but my wife bought me a Couch Wallet and a Citizen Eco Drive Watch for our 25th anniversary and I consider those two items very important to me, so I will always carry that wallet and wear that watch.

I tried the new slim wallet's years ago and truthfully they were not for me. I don't carry a lot of stuff in my wallet so it is never bulky.

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:13 am

ThatGuy wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 am
snackdog wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am

Driving license
SS card
Amex
Visa
MC
Diners card
Discover
Chevron
Shell
Costco
AAA
AARP
Work badge
Health insurance
Prescription med card
Spare key for house
Couple blank checks
Family photo

Why would you need all of that on a daily basis!?!

I use a titanium wallet, of the 4 card variety. I highly recommend slimming down.

Decadent Minimalist
I agree. I have many points and rewards cards for various stores, gas cards, grocery store cards, etc, but I leave them in my car console and only take them out if I'm actually walking into that particular store. Other than that I carry 9-10 more essential cards with me daily in a minimalist slim wallet.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:23 am

Don't like things in my pockets.
Thus: Mini EMS waist pack for the past 35+ years.
Spare house and car keys.
Cash n cards: wallet (nylon trifold w velcro)
Other stuff
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know