Purchasing a Pre-Owned iPhone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JoeChick10

Purchasing a Pre-Owned iPhone

Post by JoeChick10 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Where would you recommend buying a pre-owned, good condition iPhone? I tried checking woot.com but they don't have anything available right now. Are there any other reputable, similar sites that you can recommend?

Bogle7

Re: Purchasing a Pre-Owned iPhone

Post by Bogle7 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Gazelle.com
Yes, I would.

Blake7

Post by Blake7 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Directly from Apple is an option:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone

terran

Post by terran » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:45 pm

I've had multiple good experiences buying on https://swappa.com. As with any marketplace look for signs of trustworthiness like many positive past reviews, well written descriptions, and good pictures.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:50 pm

swappa.com
buy an unlocked one.

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:55 pm

I buy new, but if I were to buy a used one, I buy a refurb from Apple. I’d like to have some recourse in the event that something went wrong with the phone.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Make sure you get 6S or later (that includes the SE). The earlier phones like the 6/6 Plus are no longer getting software updates, and there’s a big (very noticeable) difference in performance between the 6 and 6S. In everyday use the 6S feels about as smooth/fast as the latest iPhone 11, though of course the 11 has a much better camera.

38,000 ft

Post by 38,000 ft » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Another vote for swappa, have had good experiences on there for years. I have had one occasion with a MacBook Air I purchased where I felt the device wasn’t exactly as expected and the seller accepted the return with no issue, I just paid for return shipping. For iPhones the sweet spot for me has been to buy a lightly used prior year model with AppleCare+. That way I save quite a bit and have the extended warranty with extra peace of mind.
Last edited by 38,000 ft on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:05 pm

I HAD been using Swappa.com in the past with success. This all changed last month when I went to sell a phone that I had previously purchased on Swappa 18 months prior. When I purchased this "unlocked" iPhone 8, Swappa guaranteed that it was free and clear. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 11 and subsequently sold my old iPhone 8 to a willing buyer on Swappa. Much to my surprise, when the new buyer attempted to activate his "new" phone with Verizon, they advised him it was "locked for non-payment".

I was at a loss as to how this could be since I had been using it for almost 18 months on the Verizon network with ZERO issues. Apparently, when a buyer finances a phone through Verizon, it takes Verizon some time to flag the IMEI for non-payment. I purchased the phone in January of 2018 and it wasn't flagged until a couple of months later. I was able to use the phone with no issues because it hadn't been flagged through their fraud department until the individual who purchased the phone from me tried to activate it.

Swappa "guarantees" a clean IMEI through an IMEI check which is valid only at the time of sale. It doesn't protect you against my situation where somebody sells you a financed phone and then decides not to pay it off. I was a faithful Swappa user for over 3 years having purchased numerous other devices from them. NEVER AGAIN! I'm essentially out $23 for return shipping and left with a brick.

Moral of the Story: If you are going to buy used, exercise your due diligence with the carrier to ensure that the phone is actually PAID OFF. I took for granted that Swappa was doing this due diligence for me and got burned.

38,000 ft

Post by 38,000 ft » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing. As I am not familiar with the payment plans now being offered I was not aware of this issue. One thing to note, your phone is far from bricked. Verizon iPhone models are carrier unlocked so it can be used on other carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile in the US and most carriers internationally.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:17 pm

38,000 ft wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Interesting, thanks for sharing. As I am not familiar with the payment plans now being offered I was not aware of this issue. One thing to note, your phone is far from bricked. Verizon iPhone models are carrier unlocked so it can be used on other carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile in the US and most carriers internationally.
It is my understanding that you are "half-correct". All phones sold today are carrier locked for 60 days automatically to prevent fraud. After that, a Verizon iPhone will technically work with any other carrier. The issue becomes when a phone's IMEI is blacklisted for non-payment. Essentially the carriers now talk to each other. Again, I could be totally off-base but, this is my understanding based on conversations with VZW. I guess it would be worth a try to take it to an At&t store and try to activate it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Blake7 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:34 pm

+1

A friend bought from gazelle. Her phone never worked quite right.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:44 pm

JoeChick10 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:29 pm
Where would you recommend buying a pre-owned, good condition iPhone? I tried checking woot.com but they don't have anything available right now. Are there any other reputable, similar sites that you can recommend?
I highly recommend that you purchase new. Take a look at Amazon.com.

classicindexer

Post by classicindexer » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:11 am

I recently bought a one year old model iPhone XS from Amazon refurbished it came with a 90 day warranty and Amazon guarantees replacement or a refund within 90 days. Phone looks like new and max battery capacity says it’s 100%. Have had it a month and so far so good. Saved $300 vs. price of a new XS after the iPhone 11 came out.

If the Apple Refurbished Store had the XS I would have bought it there for the 1 year warranty. I have bought and iPad and MacBook from the refurb store which have been great.
Last edited by classicindexer on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:21 am

02nz wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 pm
Make sure you get 6S or later (that includes the SE). The earlier phones like the 6/6 Plus are no longer getting software updates, and there’s a big (very noticeable) difference in performance between the 6 and 6S. In everyday use the 6S feels about as smooth/fast as the latest iPhone 11, though of course the 11 has a much better camera.
Can't agree there. But then, I refuse all updates. I lived through the battery throttling scam by not accepting updates. My 4s at the time stayed working fine without a charge for 2 days while everyone around me had phones dropping like flies after a couple hours.

Best Buy sells used iPhones. That's where I got my "new" 5s last year. Happy with the phone and the purchase experience.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:56 am

I'm happy with the used SE I bought on eBay. But, like all things on eBay, read every word of the description, the return policy, the seller's ratings (and how many there are). eBay is very buyer friendly, which takes some of the risk out of it.

ddd

Post by ddd » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:14 pm

I have purchased 3 factory unlocked iPhones from eBay in the past. All went without issues. I specifically chose individual sellers, with well documented photos, and clear shot of the IMEI number. I then went to the carrier of my choice to check the IMEI for eligibility before making the purchase/bid.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:44 pm

ddd wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:14 pm
I have purchased 3 factory unlocked iPhones from eBay in the past. All went without issues. I specifically chose individual sellers, with well documented photos, and clear shot of the IMEI number. I then went to the carrier of my choice to check the IMEI for eligibility before making the purchase/bid.
This works, in theory, as long as the IMEI is flagged at the time you check. In my case, the IMEI was flagged MONTHS after purchase because that's when the original owner stopped paying. Verizon will only tell you if the IMEI is flagged and for what reason. Due to privacy policies, they will not release whether or not the phone is currently being financed by another party. There should be mechanisms in place so that I cannot sell you a phone that I'm currently financing until it is paid off.

ddd

Post by ddd » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 pm

The phones I bought are all more than 3-5 years old. And I made sure they were sold by the original owner. They would all have been out of payment plans if any. You could ask the seller to confirm that's it's free and clear. If they lie, then there is your evidence for a credit card transaction dispute. eBay may also help you in such case.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:42 pm

I bought a "Verizon Certified Pre-Owned" iPhone directly from them. I'm guessing I could perhaps have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but the phone was like new (I was expecting some wear and it basically had none), half the price of a new one, and I didn't have to worry about dealing with a shady seller. It was not the latest model though, but it was what I wanted.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Blake7 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:34 pm

I like this. Bit more costly but you know what you are getting and they will install a brand new battery in it as well.

I have heard horror stories about the options on Amazon, although they are quite cheap.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:06 am

Another option is MyWit if your workplace has it as part of a perks discount program. We bought my daughter a used iPhone last year since my wife has this discount through her work. The phone was in great shape and is still doing very well.

invest4

Post by invest4 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:22 am

Have had multiple positive experiences with Gazelle (4 kids). The grading aligns well with what you receive. Of course, Best Buy and Apple are also fine. There are always some risks / potential for a weird situation such as the one described by 9liner (never heard of such a thing until now). Good luck!

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:26 am

I've purchased several over the years for both my wife and myself on Gazelle.com. We've never had an issue and saved hundreds of dollars, if not over a thousand at this point.