selling house, should we put in sod to replace ugly lawn?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bwatts849

selling house, should we put in sod to replace ugly lawn?

Post by bwatts849 »

Daughter is selling house in the next 6-12 months. They know and "trust" a realtor, who will likely manage the sale.

The lawn is "tidy", with clean edges and mowed, but it is in bad condition: 10+ weeds, dead areas, broccoli head texture, etc. It actually looks OK from a short distance, and doesn't look trashy when you drive by. As I said, it's tidy, but not pretty.

House is in an established neighborhood, moderate HCOL, and in very good condition, Zillow = $900K. Close to major tech.

The realtor says to replace the lawn with sod. Lawn sq ft = 1,800. Local companies on the internet estimate the cost about $0.50 - $1 per sq ft, thus project cost about $1000-$2000, probably the higher.

I'm concerned the realtor wants my daughter to "make the house perfect", like a little Dutch cottage, so it will sell fast and she'll get her commission.

Am I paranoid?
runner3081

Re: selling house, should we put in sod to replace ugly lawn?

Post by runner3081 »

Paint it?

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard ... ass-green/

The realtor is there to help sell the house and a good one will offer many suggestions (some better than others). At the end of the day, it is up to your daughter to decide which, if any, she will pursue.
Last edited by runner3081 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I would probably replace the lawn. I'm also skeptical of everything that comes out of real estate agent's mouth, but at that price point, buyers will expect a decently landscaped yard.

However, there are right ways and wrong ways to do this. Back in the housing boom of the early 2000s, we would go to open houses where it looked like the sod was rolled out that morning, with questionable soil prep and no sprinklers. In other words, the sod was expected to live as long as it took to close the sale. I wouldn't recommend that.

Lawns, for better or worse, are important to home buyers and the more buyers that are interested in buying your house, the better.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

The exterior makes the first impression. It’s not an unreasonable amount of money to improve the appearance of the property

YMMV

Post by 123 »

The front lawn is the entrance to many homes. Make it welcoming and pristine. Landscaping represents the way a house was maintained until the potential buyer gets inside to moderate that opinion. You don't want the first impression for a potential buyer to be that there's a bunch of landscaping/yardwork ahead if they buy. Everyone wants a quick sale. The longer the house sits on the market the lower the potential sales price is likely to be. Make it beautiful to encourage competing offers above asking.

If there isn't much interest in selling it just leave it in shambles and decay.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I happened to have a current listing where the feedback from 2 different people was regarding the condition of the lawn. This was for a $269,000 house. Other than a couple of VHCOL areas someone buying a $900,000 house would expect a nice lawn.
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

Yes. First impressions and photo's are a large impact.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
scottgekko

Post by scottgekko »

Make sure your daughter knows how to care for the lawn (it seems she may not). I recommend to do it, but it could be a waste of $2k if it gets the same attention that the current lawn has gotten.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

6-12 months is enough time to turn a lawn around with fertilizer, reseeding, regular watering, and herbicides to create the perfect cottage lawn. It could also be done relatively cheaply, last longer, and look (and be) more durable. It costs time, but time you have.

Sod will make it look nice very quickly, but it might not look as nice a year from now. You have to maintain it. And sod just before the winter is bad timing.

It depends upon when the house hits the market. I'd attempt to treat the yard and make it nice before it goes on the market. If it's not working, then spend the money for the sod, about a month or two before it goes for sale. (Long enough for the sod to take, not long enough for it to die.) People will know it's sod.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Replace the sod? That's crazy. Just get some Scotts Weed & Feed. That stuff makes any lawn look great.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

The options are to renovate the existing lawn, put down sod or do nothing. 1800 sq. feet is postage stamp sized, so I would trust the realtor if they say replace it. She will likely get her money back when she sells. If the lawn is the first impression, buyers may walk in thinking “I wonder what else is wrong”.

Depending on where you live, 6 months may not be enough to renovate but 12 probably would be. You could have local lawn care companies come out, tell them “fix this” and see what they say. If you sod, you have to water it, a lot, to get it established. Winter is coming and is a factor depending on where she lives.

Bottom line, it probably makes sense to address it.
Last edited by Kenkat on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmh04j

Post by Jmh04j »

DesertDiva wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 pm The exterior makes the first impression. It’s not an unreasonable amount of money to improve the appearance of the property

YMMV
+1
squirm

Post by squirm »

I put in sod to sell a house. Made the house look a thousand times better along with paint. It's a good investment.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Depending on where you live, it's probably too late to overseed the lawn. While fall is the best time to overseed, the next best time is spring.
If you are going to overseed come spring time, then skip the Scotts weed and feed and instead buy a bottle of Tenacity. You'll need a pump sprayer and following the directions on the bottle. Don't let the small size of bottle or amount to pump sprayer deter you, this stuff works. And it won't prevent the grass seed from germinating. The Scotts stuff, you have to wait 4-6 weeks after application before you can plant grass seed and no assurance that it may take longer than that. Not with Tenacity. Expensive, yes, but cheaper than sod.

Watch some of these video's on youtube - ryan knorr lawncare. This fellow is out in Iowa, his lawn looks amazing. It's not sod either.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Clemblack

Post by Clemblack »

If it only costs $2k, then absolutely do it. I'd especially do it if the neighboring lawns look better than your daughter's.

Yes, the real estate agent wants to (gasp) make money. Sounds like he or she is doing a good job.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

If Im dropping 900k on a house, I personal want a nice lawn TBH.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

bwatts849 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm Daughter is selling house in the next 6-12 months. They know and "trust" a realtor, who will likely manage the sale.
The lawn is "tidy", with clean edges and mowed, but it is in bad condition: 10+ weeds, dead areas, broccoli head texture, etc. It actually looks OK from a short distance, and doesn't look trashy when you drive by. As I said, it's tidy, but not pretty.
House is in an established neighborhood, moderate HCOL, and in very good condition, Zillow = $900K. Close to major tech.
The realtor says to replace the lawn with sod. Lawn sq ft = 1,800. Local companies on the internet estimate the cost about $0.50 - $1 per sq ft, thus project cost about $1000-$2000, probably the higher.
I'm concerned the realtor wants my daughter to "make the house perfect", like a little Dutch cottage, so it will sell fast and she'll get her commission.
Am I paranoid?
Selling fast - and at a good sale price equally benefits your daughter. Even the high end (over $2,000) is a small percentage of the asking price/value.

A few observations about sod -
1. A nicely sodded lawn can look very nice - and, if this is the case when the house is listed - that will probably be well worth the expense
2. I have, however, some sodding that does not look good at all. Not sure of the difference
3. Over time, often just a few months, even nicely sodded lawns may start to look bad. Sometimes - you can see a pattern - where perhaps one batch of sod was not very good.
4. There are very important things (do not know specifics - not a lawn expert) that must be done to keep the sodded lawn looking nice.
5. Check with someone who knows, for your area, what types of grass are best to sod with

Our next door neighbors sodded their front lawn either last year or this past spring. It looked nice for a while. Then - this summer - it began to look terrible. Then, at the end of last week - they had it all torn up and what was left of the sod was removed and new sod was being put in.

Yes - you might be paranoid - but, even so, the realtor might be correct.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

bwatts849 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm Daughter is selling house in the next 6-12 months. They know and "trust" a realtor, who will likely manage the sale.

The realtor says to replace the lawn with sod.

Am I paranoid?
Probably.

If your daughter trusts this realtor (as opposed to "trusts" this realtor), then it's her decision to make.

Spending an extra $2000 to make a $900k house more easily sold seems very reasonable to me. But a good real estate agent would know for sure.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

she needs to find a better lawn service. Since it is such bad shape, they most likely are bringing the junk on their mowers. like above, Weed N Feed, etc are great. Its a $900K house, the lawn should reflect that.
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

I'm always stunned at how home-buyers buy on first impression... strictly curb appeal. Shiny brass front-door hardware, fresh paint, and a tidy lawn will sell a home for tens of thousands more than the very same house without. I speak from experience having sold several homes at significant profit just by tearing out the overgrown shrubs, applying new coat paint, a new mailbox (with flowers), and some new carpet. If the lawn is green and mowed that's good enough, and a liberal over seeding will usually work if you have a few weeks of warm weather in your favor.
a/66, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Good move....but be sure to water, water and water those first few weeks to get it established. Otherwise it will look like garbage in no time.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 pm Good move....but be sure to water, water and water those first few weeks to get it established. Otherwise it will look like garbage in no time.
This. You do have to make the effort to have a nice lawn.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

with a 12 month horizon...I'd go the Scotts 4 step plan (or whatever local brand 4 step plan) is available. Buy a spreader - OR ask to borrow a tried and true one. Total cost about $300.00. You'll spend 2 hours buying the necessary stuff (30 mins to the store, 30 minutes figuring out what you need to buy, 15 mins in the checkout, 30 mins getting home, you get the idea) and then 20 minutes every 2 months putting the appropriate step down on your lawn. So for $300 and a handful of hours you got a green weed free lawn. OR you could spend the time and effort and expense (and cost of water and whatever else) to have new sod put down.
mancich

Post by mancich »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:49 pm with a 12 month horizon...I'd go the Scotts 4 step plan (or whatever local brand 4 step plan) is available. Buy a spreader - OR ask to borrow a tried and true one. Total cost about $300.00. You'll spend 2 hours buying the necessary stuff (30 mins to the store, 30 minutes figuring out what you need to buy, 15 mins in the checkout, 30 mins getting home, you get the idea) and then 20 minutes every 2 months putting the appropriate step down on your lawn. So for $300 and a handful of hours you got a green weed free lawn. OR you could spend the time and effort and expense (and cost of water and whatever else) to have new sod put down.
+1. I agree with this. She should be able to get the lawn in nice shape in 6-12 months without having to resort to sod, at a fraction of the cost. YouTube has some great videos by The Law Care Nut.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

A buyer might think that if the seller ignored the care of the lawn they may have also ignored other upkeep as well. We had a neighbor who had a terrible lawn and when they tried to sell their house it sat there forever. It was strange because the neighbor focused on fixing up so many other small features of the house, but the lawn made it look like nobody cared and probably made the house a drive-by for some potential buyers. They ended up selling at a 25% discount from their original price which is huge for where we live. I would listen to the realtor in this case. Don’t underestimate the emotional impact of curb appeal when selling a house, especially in that price range.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

It may trigger what happened here that the yard had to be dug up to fix the problem. I have been out with my son looking at homes. Amazing what gets covered up with paint and mulch. Maybe have a few photos of before just in case it comes up.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Has your daughter asked for your opinion, or is the decision somehow up to you?
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Instead of considering the $2000 a selling expense, think of it as home maintenance which was deferred and now needs to be paid. Your neighbors will thank you, which is also a legitimate reason to keep the yard lovely.
Balefire

Post by Balefire »

Putting $100 of Scott EZ seed and $30 of weed killer would be a lot cheaper than sod. And look almost as good
dmk395

Post by dmk395 »

As someone who has owned a lawn care business for 20 years, there's a couple things you've gotta realize about sod.
Sod needs a lot of water, underground sprinklers are a must. It's also high maintenance. Once it dies, its more of a pain to deal with. Why not just hire a landscape company to get it on a fertilizer program, re-seed etc. Will improve the lawn and cost less.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

1800 sq ft is a tiny lawn. Replacing sod is a quick fix.

If the current lawn is overrun with weeds it's going to take months to get it back to decent shape. You can kill the current weeds with a herbicide but you will be left with big yellowish patches of dead weed. You have a year so it's doable.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

Yes. Sod.

It's fast----water it a lot the first two weeks and walk in the edge of the sod to make sure they are in full contact with the soil below. Voila, instant lawn.

Using sod is much quicker and more environmentally friendly than using the chemicals that kill weeds along with insects, earthworms, birds, and other wildlife.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 »

Rus In Urbe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:32 am Yes. Sod.

Using sod is much quicker and more environmentally friendly than using the chemicals that kill weeds along with insects, earthworms, birds, and other wildlife.
Which will impact more 1800 sq ft of chemicals or 1000 acres at the sod farm?
John
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Depending on the time frame and season - it might be just as beneficial to prepare and seed the lawn.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Am I paranoid?
Replacing the lawn with $2000 of sod will evolve to $2000 of bad condition lawn with bare spots and weeds if not maintained better than present.

I just started a similar sized lawn a few weeks ago. A week after seeding, there is new grass. The price of seed and soil amendments was less than 5% of sod. No reason to use sod over quality grass seed.

Fall is best time to start grass but if freezing temperature or thick tree leaf cover is expected in the next 2-3 weeks, wait until spring. Go easy on fertilizers and ensure new grass gets enough water through rain or watering.
piperkub

Post by piperkub »

Not only would I freshen up the sod, but I would hire a local home inspection company for a couple hundred dollars and see what he may find. The Sellers are going to do that prior to closing so at least you'll know what they're going to find and how to deal with any issues. If his report is A+, include it in the listing documents. You may be able to raise the price to cover the sod and any repairs you make to cover their expenses.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm 6-12 months is enough time to turn a lawn around with fertilizer, reseeding, regular watering, and herbicides to create the perfect cottage lawn. It could also be done relatively cheaply, last longer, and look (and be) more durable. It costs time, but time you have.

Sod will make it look nice very quickly, but it might not look as nice a year from now. You have to maintain it. And sod just before the winter is bad timing.

It depends upon when the house hits the market. I'd attempt to treat the yard and make it nice before it goes on the market. If it's not working, then spend the money for the sod, about a month or two before it goes for sale. (Long enough for the sod to take, not long enough for it to die.) People will know it's sod.
This. You could get the job done for a couple hundred bucks worth of fertilizer, herbicide, overseeding, and watering. Not tough. Plus, it will look so much more established than fresh sod. Fresh sod would make me suspicious of a property. Is it a flip? Was there a septic issue? Etc.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Am I paranoid?

So I would say yes try to improve the front lawn as best as possible. Yes you are paranoid.
However, it doesn't have to cost $2k...

I've been a bit of a lawn care nut for a few years..
Sod would be the fastest fix, but a lawn can be turned around in much less than 6 months without doing sod and without needing a contractor. The process goes something like this: Spraying a weed killer like Tenacity, then waiting the proper amount of time such as 3-4 weeks, broadcast spread new seed (now is OK for warm climates, but wait til spring for cooler climates) followed by starter fertilizer and proper watering is all she needs. Depending on lawn size, I estimate this would cost $250 max. Tenacity is $65 online. Seed $75-$125. Starter fert $20.
(I left an extra $40 or so because some people like to cover the seed with peat moss, mulch, or soil so the new seed isn't washed away and it holds in moisture better)

Hope this helps!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
jb1

Post by jb1 »

As someone who just got their license, and someone who just bought a house, yes I would spend the 2k or .2% to make the appearance of the house look better.

If there are two houses with the same comps, I would certainly take the nicer landscaping, heck its one less thing I need to worry about as the new homeowner.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

$2,000 to fix an 1800 square foot lawn? :shock:

Buy any off the shelf weed and feed and apply it tomorrow.

if the lawn has Creeping Charlie you may need to buy a separate spray to deal with that -another $12-15 including pump sprayer.

reseeding parts of the lawn isn't rocket science either you can buy off the shelf products that you just lay down and keep damp you'll be fine.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
SR II

Post by SR II »

She has a year. Put out a ton of seed, fertilize it and water it like crazy during that time. It will be beautiful when it goes on the market.
Topic Author
bwatts849

Post by bwatts849 »

To all who responded, thank you for the advice. Many good comments.

Tenacity sounds like a good product. Daughter and I will look at YouTube videos about re-establishing the lawn.

She and I will try resurrect the lawn. We have time.

I agree with those who observe that sod can look somewhat artificial and contrived.

My daughter and her husband are definitely in charge, but they ask my opinion on home maintenance issues. Also, I will be the mule carrying supplies up to the lawn area.

Thank you for the ideas about specific products for lawn health.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

SR II wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:42 pm She has a year. Put out a ton of seed, fertilize it and water it like crazy during that time. It will be beautiful when it goes on the market.
Yes - a year should be plenty of time to get the lawn looking good - without sodding.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

I'd either replace with sod or if she wants to DIY look up some videos of Allyn Hane aka The Lawn Care Nut (LCN) on Youtube and follow his plan.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I'd rather look at a house that had decent, but not perfect lawn, than one that had obviously had a green carpet rolled out for my visit. But, I'm perhaps considered weird ;)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dknightd wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 am I'd rather look at a house that had decent, but not perfect lawn, than one that had obviously had a green carpet rolled out for my visit. But, I'm perhaps considered weird ;)
I lean that was as well.