Moving my home landline phone number to MagicJack - good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Starfish

Re: Moving my home landline phone number to MagicJack - good idea?

Post by Starfish » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:40 am
mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:06 am
Starfish wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:36 am
I am over 40 and never had a land line (except in campus as a student,, and of course when I was living with my parents). Why do people have one?
I keep my Verizon land line for reliable 911. Cost is $26.42 a month.
Isn’t that VOIP? Isn’t VOIP unreliable for 911? *

As to why people keep landlines, a lot of it is habit or having a number they don’t want to give up. For example, you already have cell phones and a land line. If you get rid of the land line, what do you do with the number (say you’ve given out to a ton of people over the years)? Retire it? One option is to port it to google voice.*
My assumption is that you did not give the landline number to anybody who mattered in the last 20 years. It's like junk email, you give it marketers and companies.
If you really want to answer a call you give people the only phone you have with you at all times: the cellular.

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 am
For those using OBi, especially in relative's homes (where you may be the remote tech support), note the following:

- OBi was purchased by Polycom about 2 years ago. Polycom's focus is business, not consumer.

- OBi's capability with Google Voice is tied to staying in sync with Google Voice changes. This requires firmware changes (and possible programming changes). At any point, OBi can decide to no longer upgrade a model. OBi 100/110 came out ~ 2011, declared obsolete in 2017 and stopped functioning with Google Voice. OBi 200 came out in 2012... Simple math says this is near end of life.

- In my nearly 7 years with an OBi 110, I had to redo the configuration several times due to changes by OBi, and these were mostly technical changes (i.e. not made by the common Joe on the street).

When I owned an OBi, I never would have considered giving it to an elderly relative as their primary phone service.

Just to be aware, this is not a Plug-N-Play device.
Agreed, unless you decide you want to be IT support. I've used OBi successfully for 5 years now and am very happy with the choice. But I've never considered it as a good option for my parents who have zero technical know how. It is not so much getting it to work, but figuring out what to do if and when it fails.

A

Post by alter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Another vote for Ooma, been using it for many many years and its the best, most stable VOIP I've tried.