Moving my home landline phone number to MagicJack - good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teelainen

Moving my home landline phone number to MagicJack - good idea?

Post by teelainen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:38 am

We currently pay about $35 per month to our local phone company to have a landline phone number.

Has anyone ever tried moving your home landline phone number to MagicJack? Is it a good idea?

Also, is there anything else that is even better than MagicJack?

mhalley

Re: Moving my home landline phone number to MagicJack - good idea?

Post by mhalley » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:58 am

I moved mine to Ooma. I think it costs a little more than mj.No personal exp. with magic jack, but here is a thread on Ooma and mj.
viewtopic.php?t=142179
Last edited by mhalley on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:59 am

I tried MajicJack several years ago (7 perhaps?) and found it lacking at that time. I switched to over "Ooma" (purchased at Costco at the time) and never looked back. My bill is now around $5 per month with much better sounding connection than the original landline.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:06 am

Quite a few threads on this.

We moved our home number to Google Voice, which rings our cell phones per rules we define. No need for landline except E911, which you can get via some services, we chose not to.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:08 am

I have had 3 different over the internet phone systems throughout the years listed below.

Magic jack.... terrible

Nettalk .... good until the latest version came out about a yr ago, then terrible.

Google Voice via Obihai device ... current system 1.5 yrs, flawless, and free after purchase of Obihai OBi200 device.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 am

My parents did just that a few years ago, they have been happy with it. But there are some other potentially no monthly fee options.

I personally use something like this with a google voice number (you could do the same if you ported your home number to google voice):
https://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi200-Ad ... B07FCS1NGM

We like having a "home" phone still and not relying purely on our cell phones.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am

Yes, it is a good idea.

I have used VoIP for many years. MagicJack was my first provider. At that time, the call quality wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Additionally the first MagicJack devices required your PC to be "on" for it to work. No longer the case.

Over the years I have used MagicJack, Vonage, and currently use ooma. My phone bill is $5.32/month. ooma service is free. All charges are taxes and various fees. Hard to escape those charges.

Item Qty Price Subtotal
Base Phone Service 1 $0 $0

Subtotal:$0
Taxes and fees
911 Service Fee:$1.00
Regulatory Compliance Fee:$1.60
Local Interconnection Recovery Fee:$1.90
Fl Communications Services Tax:$0.11
Local Communications Svc Tax:$0.31
Fl 911 Surcharge:$0.40
Total:$5.32

I have settled on ooma, we have had their service since November of 2010. The first MagicJacks worked, but had poor voice quality. I believe MagicJack voice quality is fine at this time. Vonage had good voice quality, but they kept edging their prices up and up. ooma has excellent voice quality, and charges paid are not from them, but from governmental entities.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:33 pm

I can't recommend MJ. Half the time when I called people they could not hear me, though I could hear them. Very frustrating.

SandysDad

Post by SandysDad » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:19 pm

I tried magic jack years ago. First time I called someone with it it was my boss
I stated talking he cut me off with “is that f!&&@ magic jack? Hang up and call me from a real phone”.

I returned the MJ!

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Not a good idea. viewtopic.php?t=230651#p4203833

SandysDad - You returned a MagicJack? How? Getting $$ back from them is more than I could do - congrats!

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm

+1 Obihai

Obihai+GoogleVoice user since early 2011, only cost is the hardware, $50 now. And you get lots of things the phone company charges for free, like voicemail, caller ID...etc. Call quality is good, better than a cell, the google voice web page has all call history, you can configure to get voicemails transcribed voicemails to your email. You can route your home number to another number temporarily. You can receive texts, not all texts will come through though, some texts won't work with google voice.

Only real con is you don't get 911, you can add a VOIP provider for E911 for a few dollars a month, we just plan to use our cell if we need 911.

The product is somewhat geekie, if you're not good at setting up electronics DIY (this is similar to setting up an internet router, hot spot..etc), I'd pass.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm

We had ooma. It was fine, but we ended up getting rid of it too as being unnecessary with cell phones. Service quality as perfectly fine.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

leonidas

Post by leonidas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Anyone have an opinion on Voiply or 1-VOIP. I have a Verizon landline and what to get off since it costs too much.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 pm

Yes, we currently use Magic Jack. Much cheaper than landline phone.

BUT, we’re only using MJ to send calls from the legacy landline number to MJ voice mail. We can then listen at our convenience to the MJ calls and return those that we need to.

We’ve used cell phones exclusively for “real conversations” ever since iPhone came out.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

othermike27

Post by othermike27 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 am

For those who have ported their landline phone number to any of these VOIP services: some contacts want you to call them from the phone number they have on file for you to expedite their service. Common example would be activation of a credit card you receive to replace one that is expiring. If you ported your on-file phone number to a VOIP, are they satisfied with this arrangement?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 am

othermike27 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 am
For those who have ported their landline phone number to any of these VOIP services: some contacts want you to call them from the phone number they have on file for you to expedite their service. Common example would be activation of a credit card you receive to replace one that is expiring. If you ported your on-file phone number to a VOIP, are they satisfied with this arrangement?
Porting is moving the number so the contacts that want your number to stay the same got what they wanted...

In addition, you can move a number to Google Voice, then use Google Voice to call, using that number, by ringing your cell phone, a hotel phone, a work phone, or your computer / tablet. You answer, the call is made, and the recipient sees your old number displayed.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 am

Stinky wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 pm

BUT, we’re only using MJ to send calls from the legacy landline number to MJ voice mail. We can then listen at our convenience to the MJ calls and return those that we need to.

We’ve used cell phones exclusively for “real conversations” ever since iPhone came out.
So since you're not making calls on MJ, you're paying them monthly to forward calls to voicemail? GoogleVoice does that for free. Paying $60+ a year for voicemail doesn't seem to be a good financial choice.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 am

Smoke wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:08 am
Google Voice via Obihai device ... current system 1.5 yrs, flawless, and free after purchase of Obihai OBi200 device.
+1
Absolutely best option, have it at our and several relatives' homes (including overseas).
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 am

+1 for Ooma and Google Voice options.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:38 am

Another happy long time Ooma user here.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:39 am

I have not used Magic Jack in years.

I set Ooma up for my mom a couple years ago, and have had zero problems and a great experience. I would use it again.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:33 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:26 am
Stinky wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 pm

So since you're not making calls on MJ, you're paying them monthly to forward calls to voicemail? GoogleVoice does that for free. Paying $60+ a year for voicemail doesn't seem to be a good financial choice.
Inertia on my part, pure and simple.

Maybe I’ll get inspired to move to Google before next MJ Bill.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

othermike27

Post by othermike27 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:39 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 am
Porting is moving the number so the contacts that want your number to stay the same got what they wanted...
Is this your personal experience? I'm not asking what porting is or how it's supposed to work. I'm asking for experience reports on how it actually worked in practice.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 am

For those using OBi, especially in relative's homes (where you may be the remote tech support), note the following:

- OBi was purchased by Polycom about 2 years ago. Polycom's focus is business, not consumer.

- OBi's capability with Google Voice is tied to staying in sync with Google Voice changes. This requires firmware changes (and possible programming changes). At any point, OBi can decide to no longer upgrade a model. OBi 100/110 came out ~ 2011, declared obsolete in 2017 and stopped functioning with Google Voice. OBi 200 came out in 2012... Simple math says this is near end of life.

- In my nearly 7 years with an OBi 110, I had to redo the configuration several times due to changes by OBi, and these were mostly technical changes (i.e. not made by the common Joe on the street).

When I owned an OBi, I never would have considered giving it to an elderly relative as their primary phone service.

Just to be aware, this is not a Plug-N-Play device.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:51 am

othermike27 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:39 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Is this your personal experience? I'm not asking what porting is or how it's supposed to work. I'm asking for experience reports on how it actually worked in practice.
Yes. We moved our home line to Google Voice years ago, as well as my business line. Both still active, both used for incoming and outgoing calls to these numbers.

You ask for personal experience, not what porting is or how it's supposed to work. Porting is exactly what I described, and works as it should. You can move a cell number from Verizon to AT&T, and it rings on your AT&T phone. You can move POTS line (Plain Old Telephone Service) to anywhere in a similar manner, and it works (to go from landline to Google Voice requires a brief cell service stop).

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 am

Ooma for the last 5 years....Ported my existing land line number with no issues....$5/month.

Great advice from Clark Howard.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 am

othermike27 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:39 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
We ported our home number from Verizon to MagicJack, then to Vonage, and finally to ooma. The last port was in November of 2010. At that time it took about 4-5 days, but that was many years ago, could be much faster now. So, your service could be out a few days, unless the technology today allows the change to be done in real time.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: The characteristics of receiving the calling number id on incoming calls, and the forwarding of your number to the called party works just like a traditional landline.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Lazareth

Post by Lazareth » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:02 pm

I ported my landline number to google voice and set it to forward all calls to my cell phone. So now there's no physical phone for the landline. Each incoming call shows up on my cell phone and if I don't take the call, which is just about always, it goes to voicemail. If the caller chooses to leave a message I'll get a google email with a transcript of and link to the audio of the message. Very convenient. No more Verizon bill, it's free.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-port ... gle-voice/
"I want to light the lights of patriotism." - Lech Walesa

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 pm

We've had MJ for the last 10 years (?) and we couldn't be happier.

invest4

Post by invest4 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:29 am

Have had magic jack for many years now. As others have stated, it had an initial rough patch and then significantly improved with no problems since. Coincidentally, I am seriously considering doing away with it all together. We scarcely ever receive a call...everything pretty much via cell phone now.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:52 am

For those that ported their landline number to Google Voice, what path did you take? Port to a mobile phone account, then to Google?

It appears that Google Voice supports ports from mobile numbers, but not directly from land lines.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 am

I ported my landline number from Verizon to T-Mobile then from T-Mobile to Google Voice (GV). To my knowledge, GV will not accept a direct port from a Verizon landline. The instruction for porting a number are here:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial

Keep in mind that GV does not offer 911 service. You have to purchase it separately but the Obihai device does offer it from several places from $18 to $25 per year. 911 service is expected on a landline so cheaping out to save a couple bucks isn’t wise. Also keep in mind that 911 service is not needed until it’s needed and then and only then will your frugal ways be acknowledged and chastised.

Once ported to Google voice the Verizon line in my house went dead ( took about 3 days) so I then disconnected the Verizon line that powered my house phone lines. Then I powered the Obihai device via my router and the attached a portable phone line from the Obihai device to one of my wall jacks that subsequently powered my six phones throughout my house. Works great in fact even clearer than Verizon. Also keep in mind that when the power goes out you have no phone service but I installed a battery backup for a few extra hours of router service.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 am

jerryk68 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 am
I ported my landline number from Verizon to T-Mobile then from T-Mobile to Google Voice (GV). To my knowledge, GV will not accept a direct port from a Verizon landline. The instruction for porting a number are here:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial

Keep in mind that GV does not offer 911 service. You have to purchase it separately but the Obihai device does offer it from several places from $18 to $25 per year. 911 service is expected on a landline so cheaping out to save a couple bucks isn’t wise. Also keep in mind that 911 service is not needed until it’s needed and then and only then will your frugal ways be acknowledged and chastised.

Once ported to Google voice the Verizon line in my house went dead ( took about 3 days) so I then disconnected the Verizon line that powered my house phone lines. Then I powered the Obihai device via my router and the attached a portable phone line from the Obihai device to one of my wall jacks that subsequently powered my six phones throughout my house. Works great in fact even clearer than Verizon. Also keep in mind that when the power goes out you have no phone service but I installed a battery backup for a few extra hours of router service.
If power is out over a wide area, internet backbone equipment may be out, rendering any VoIP service useless.

Of course, POTS requires electricity too at switching equipment. I remember filling a generator for the phone company in the 90s during a 3 day outage. They reimbursed me for the gas.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 pm

I've used MJ for years. New MJ device runs circles around the old one. Ported old home number. It works great for our land line calls attached to an answering machine. Also comes in handy for calling your cell phone when you can't find where you left it.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

novemberrain

Post by novemberrain » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:23 am

I used MJ several years back. Almost a decade back. The customer service was SEVERELY lacking at that time. I gave up after I ran into some issues.

rtt22

Post by rtt22 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:08 am

I had to leave Vonage because the plan cost is only about $10 but with fees & taxes, the monthly cost was a bit above $22.
I looked at Ooma and Magic Jack. Magic Jack has more features available at about the same cost as Ooma.
What's important to me:
1. Receive calls (made to the Magic Jack number) on my cell phone
2. Receive voice mail notification and listen to voice mail on my cell phone.
The above two features are not available on the Basic Ooma plan.
I installed Magic Jack and try it out for the last few days. So far so good. The device is so small now!
One surprise with Magic Jack is that calls to conference call services like Zoom and Webex are NOT allowed by Magic Jack as free calls even if the dial-in phone numbers have US area codes. These are charged by the minute. So for these calls, I use Google Voice.
The cost for Magic Jack is then $50 + tax for the device, free plan for the first year, plus $18 per year for E911 fee. After the 1st year I plan to sign up for 3 year plan for $90 instead of the regular $40 per year (plus $18/year for E911 fee).
The call to Vonage to cancel my account was pleasantly short. I appreciate that. They tried to keep me but was not too much of a hard sell (remember how hard it was to cancel AOL many years ago?!).

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:40 pm

I've had Ooma since the original model came out - still using it - sort of. The original model had no fees or taxes, so I'm grandfathered. I've actually had all of my wireless phones die in the time I've had it, and I haven't bothered to replace it. The base sits attached to the Ooma in the basement, but it's probably been a good 4 years since I've made a call. Nothing but positive things about it though when I did use it more regularly.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:36 am

I am over 40 and never had a land line (except in campus as a student,, and of course when I was living with my parents). Why do people have one?

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:06 am

Starfish wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:36 am
I am over 40 and never had a land line (except in campus as a student,, and of course when I was living with my parents). Why do people have one?
I keep my Verizon land line for reliable 911. Cost is $26.42 a month.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 am

mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:06 am
Starfish wrote:
Reliable 911 exists with VoIP services, usually at 1.5 months of what you're paying to cover a whole year.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:40 am

mrmass wrote:
Starfish wrote:
Isn’t that VOIP? Isn’t VOIP unreliable for 911? *

As to why people keep landlines, a lot of it is habit or having a number they don’t want to give up. For example, you already have cell phones and a land line. If you get rid of the land line, what do you do with the number (say you’ve given out to a ton of people over the years)? Retire it? One option is to port it to google voice.*

I got rid of our land line over 10 years ago and ported the number to my wife’s cell phone (she had a flip phone at the time and had not given out her cell number to many people, so it was no big loss for her to lose her cell number).

I really don’t see why people pay extra and jump through hoops to hold on to a land line. I would bite the bullet once, port it to a cell phone or google voice and if cell reception in the house was poor, I’d get a booster, use wifi calling, or whatever, to fix that problem rather than introduce a whole new variable via a fake landline.

As for 911, I wouldn’t keep a dedicated line at home just for that. It doesn’t make sense to me. Chances of emergency at home where 911 saves your bacon vs. $$$ per month: can you get to phone? Would alarm system or some other emergency system be a better option? What if the emergency occurs outside the home? I’d have to look at the technology available vs. land line and I bet dollars to doughnuts that there are better options these days. *

* DISCLAIMER: I have done no research and [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] therefore acknowledge that my opinions may be totally wrong. The cell signal in my house is great so I’ve never had to tackle that. As for 911, so far, so good. Feel free to set me straight.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 am

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:40 am
mrmass wrote:
Starfish wrote:
Isn’t that VOIP? Isn’t VOIP unreliable for 911? *

As to why people keep landlines, a lot of it is habit or having a number they don’t want to give up. For example, you already have cell phones and a land line. If you get rid of the land line, what do you do with the number (say you’ve given out to a ton of people over the years)? Retire it? One option is to port it to google voice.*

I got rid of our land line over 10 years ago and ported the number to my wife’s cell phone (she had a flip phone at the time and had not given out her cell number to many people, so it was no big loss for her to lose her cell number).

I really don’t see why people pay extra and jump through hoops to hold on to a land line. I would bite the bullet once, port it to a cell phone or google voice and if cell reception in the house was poor, I’d get a booster, use wifi calling, or whatever, to fix that problem rather than introduce a whole new variable via a fake landline.

As for 911, I wouldn’t keep a dedicated line at home just for that. It doesn’t make sense to me. Chances of emergency at home where 911 saves your bacon vs. $$$ per month: can you get to phone? Would alarm system or some other emergency system be a better option? What if the emergency occurs outside the home? I’d have to look at the technology available vs. land line and I bet dollars to doughnuts that there are better options these days. *

* DISCLAIMER: I have done no research and [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] therefore acknowledge that my opinions may be totally wrong. The cell signal in my house is great so I’ve never had to tackle that. As for 911, so far, so good. Feel free to set me straight.
Not VOIP. It's a POTS line.

rtt22

Post by rtt22 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 am

I keep a landline phone for 3 things: 1) only family and friends know my landline phone number, calls to this number also ring my cell phone, 2) all phones in the house will ring so I don't have to be attached to my cell phone while at home, and 3) E911 for $1.50/month. Also, I like holding a cordless phone and not a cell phone while talking with family and friends :happy
Last edited by rtt22 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 am
mrmass wrote:
Starfish wrote:
Reliable 911 exists with VoIP services, usually at 1.5 months of what you're paying to cover a whole year.
Perhaps, but with an elderly parent at home I rather not risk it. Have you ever called 911 with VOIP or cell? I hear conflicting stories on the reliability.
I'm open to change.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:50 am

mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
mrmass wrote:
Starfish wrote:
Perhaps, but with an elderly parent at home I rather not risk it. Have you ever called 911 with VOIP or cell? I hear conflicting stories on the reliability.
I'm open to change.
The issue is not 911 ability, it's E911 ability.

We used an OBi device for many years, which uses Google Voice for VoIP service. It does not provide 911 ability. You could program it to call a regular emergency number, but not 911.

We paid $1.50 a month for E911 via another service, which is setup and allows you the option to test it, and of course to call your non-emergency number and ask them for permission to really test it via a call. We did both, it worked fine.

Many cellular services now allow you to enter an address to be displayed to a 911 operator. For example, Verizon allows you to setup an address that is displayed when a call is made via WiFi, which if you have WiFi calling enabled would happen in your home.

E911 is being enabled across the country for cellular. You can contact the non-emergency number for your 911 dispatch to find out if they've upgraded to read and use the Enhanced 911 location data. You can then ask them if you can test it, and call from your cell phone.

One thing that many don't realize is that some "home phone services" are in fact VoIP. For example, Comcast and other cable companies provide home phone service that is VoIP. While Comcast does provide E911 service, if the cable network goes down, or you have a local power failure and your cable modem battery dies, you have no E911 (nor any phone service).

I would not want an elderly person to not have the ability to call E911, I agree. But I'd investigate whether I already had it.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:58 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:50 am
mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:35 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
mrmass wrote:
Starfish wrote:
I'm open to change.
The issue is not 911 ability, it's E911 ability.

We used an OBi device for many years, which uses Google Voice for VoIP service. It does not provide 911 ability. You could program it to call a regular emergency number, but not 911.

We paid $1.50 a month for E911 via another service, which is setup and allows you the option to test it, and of course to call your non-emergency number and ask them for permission to really test it via a call. We did both, it worked fine.

Many cellular services now allow you to enter an address to be displayed to a 911 operator. For example, Verizon allows you to setup an address that is displayed when a call is made via WiFi, which if you have WiFi calling enabled would happen in your home.

E911 is being enabled across the country for cellular. You can contact the non-emergency number for your 911 dispatch to find out if they've upgraded to read and use the Enhanced 911 location data. You can then ask them if you can test it, and call from your cell phone.

One thing that many don't realize is that some "home phone services" are in fact VoIP. For example, Comcast and other cable companies provide home phone service that is VoIP. While Comcast does provide E911 service, if the cable network goes down, or you have a local power failure and your cable modem battery dies, you have no E911 (nor any phone service).

I would not want an elderly person to not have the ability to call E911, I agree. But I'd investigate whether I already had it.
Thank for the info. It's not VOIP its a POTS line. It's not part of a double or triple play. If my house loses power, even for days my non cordless phone will work (think the old princess phone) I have one in every bedroom.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:08 am

mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:58 am

Thank for the info. It's not VOIP its a POTS line. It's not part of a double or triple play. If my house loses power, even for days my non cordless phone will work (think the old princess phone) I have one in every bedroom.
Not likely true.

Your copper line goes to phone company equipment. That equipment needs power to run. If an area has an extended power outage, even copper line systems can fail.

We lived in Pennsylvania in a metro area and had a 3 day outage. As we drove around, I saw a generator next to the phone company's big metal box. The next day, we lost phone service. I got in touch with the phone company and let them know, and they dispatched a truck to fill up the generator with gas.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 am

Google Voice
For home,,but
No one calls it.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:23 pm

We use Google Voice via an Obihai device:
- Excellent call quality
- Totally free

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:46 pm

mrmass wrote:
Starfish wrote:
I am pretty sure at least 90% of the calls to 911 come from cell phones. They must have figured it out by now.
Last edited by Starfish on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.