social security 'extra security' feature?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
F150HD

social security 'extra security' feature?

Post by F150HD »

Am not in or near retirement but logged in checking my SS account today I noticed this below.

Wondering what specifically the 'extra security' is? Are you asked a 'financial question' (pulled from your credit report) each time you login?

I see you have to answer a financial question to 'enable' it, but what specifically is the extra layer that gets enabled?

I see they send a code via USPS one uses to enable the 'extra security', but what specifically is being enabled by doing this?

maybe I just didn't see it on the SS site.....?
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
mhalley

Re: social security 'extra security' feature?

Post by mhalley »

Deleted
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

sounds like nobody uses this feature ?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Haven't used the feature, but clicked through to see what is required. Here's what's on the click-through box. Don't know if we'll do this or not, but would love to hear the thoughts of others.

-----------------------------------

How does this work?
You can opt for extra security to provide your account with an extra level of protection. If you would like to add extra security, you must answer a financial verification question. Adding extra security does not change the way that you sign in to your account. You must still sign in with your username, password, and a unique security code we will provide each time you sign in.

If the following statements are true for you, then extra security is an option for you:
I am comfortable answering an identity verification question online.
I am comfortable answering a financial verification question online.

How do I sign up for extra security?
When you first register, you must verify your identity by answering a security question. We will ask for one of the following:
the last 8 digits of your Visa, MasterCard or Discover Card, or
information from your W-2 tax form, or
information from a 1040 Schedule SE (self-employment) tax form.

Finishing this process usually takes 5 to 10 business days. An upgrade code will be mailed to your home address. When you sign in to your account, you will be asked to enter the upgrade code in order to finish adding your extra security. In the meantime, you can sign in to your account using your username, password, and a unique security code we will provide each time you sign in.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

It adds about an extra 40 seconds to my log in time. Based on the fact that I access my social security account once every year or so, it’s no big deal. As sophisticated as on line identity theft has become, I welcome the extra layer of security. If my password is ever compromised, without access to my phone, you don’t get it. That works for me.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

bradinsky wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm It adds about an extra 40 seconds to my log in time. Based on the fact that I access my social security account once every year or so, it’s no big deal. As sophisticated as on line identity theft has become, I welcome the extra layer of security. If my password is ever compromised, without access to my phone, you don’t get it. That works for me.
How is the “extra security” any different than the mandatory MFA already incorporated?
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Never used this myself, but a friend recently applied for Medicare and ran into problems. The financial questions were irrelevant - e.g., which of these lenders do you have your auto loan with; this person has never owned a car - so the answer was "none of the above" and the system was unhappy when that answer was repeated a few times so they had to appear in person at the local SS office.

Not a major hurdle, but a PITA - and the system obviously has problems which doesn't encourage me to use it. I suppose eventually I'll have to -
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Stinky wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am Haven't used the feature, but clicked through to see what is required. Here's what's on the click-through box. Don't know if we'll do this or not, but would love to hear the thoughts of others.

How does this work?
You can opt for extra security to provide your account with an extra level of protection. If you would like to add extra security, you must answer a financial verification question. Adding extra security does not change the way that you sign in to your account. You must still sign in with your username, password, and a unique security code we will provide each time you sign in.

If the following statements are true for you, then extra security is an option for you:

When you first register, you must verify your identity by answering a security question. We will ask for one of the following:

Finishing this process usually takes 5 to 10 business days. An upgrade code will be mailed to your home address. When you sign in to your account, you will be asked to enter the upgrade code in order to finish adding your extra security. In the meantime, you can sign in to your account using your username, password, and a unique security code we will provide each time you sign in.

All of that is in my first post (??)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

F150HD wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 pm
Stinky wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am Haven't used the feature, but clicked through to see what is required. Here's what's on the click-through box. Don't know if we'll do this or not, but would love to hear the thoughts of others.

How does this work?

All of that is in my first post (??)
The italicized text is a cut-and-paste from the click-through box on the SS site.

Your first post had much, but not all, of the text from the SS site. For example, your first post didn't list out the three items of identity information that a person might be asked for.

OP, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Maybe we'll find someone who has actually added this "extra security". :happy
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

supersharpie wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 pm
bradinsky wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm It adds about an extra 40 seconds to my log in time. Based on the fact that I access my social security account once every year or so, it’s no big deal. As sophisticated as on line identity theft has become, I welcome the extra layer of security. If my password is ever compromised, without access to my phone, you don’t get it. That works for me.
How is the “extra security” any different than the mandatory MFA already incorporated?
All that is required now is your login ID, password & the unique security code they text you. Nothing more. Easy. I trust that more than relying on the government to keep everything completely secure.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Stinky wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 am ....

OP, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Maybe we'll find someone who has actually added this "extra security". :happy
This is where I'm at....hoping someone eventually posts w/ insight. :thumbsup :thumbsup
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

I use it. See post above.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

They send you a letter to your house with a code that you enter. It proves that not only can you answer all of the questions asked during regular registration, it proves you also live at the address Social Security has on file for you.

I went ahead and signed up for it successfully but my wife couldn’t answer the questions asked (they can be rather vague or cryptic) and just has “regular” security. We both have the same access - the extra security feature doesn’t give you access to anything additional that I am aware of at least.

Because you don’t have to do it, I am not sure how much extra security it provides. An identity thief could just skip it it seems.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

The 'extra security' part of the title post attracted my attention.
I am not sure what the optional extra security does for you.

Krebs on Security says you always need to keep your guard up for fraudulent activity, so I don't think extra security would change that.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/social- ... istration/
Last edited by 2pedals on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

bradinsky wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:59 am
All that is required now is your login ID, password & the unique security code they text you. Nothing more. Easy. I trust that more than relying on the government to keep everything completely secure.
I have this already but did not sign up for the optional extra security or go through the process.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am They send you a letter to your house with a code that you enter. It proves that not only can you answer all of the questions asked during regular registration, it proves you also live at the address Social Security has on file for you.
Thanks, was aware of the USPS code, though, "that" is the feature?

By 'extra security' I assumed this process would create an extra step each and every time one logs into SS. (some form of code one enters, answer a credit report question, "other", etc). This doesn't sound like its the case. So after getting the code via USPS, entering it on the site once, one apparently logs in as they normally would each and everytime thereafter. (?)

Guess I'm unclear how this makes logging in 'more secure'.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

legio XX wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm Never used this myself, but a friend recently applied for Medicare and ran into problems. The financial questions were irrelevant - e.g., which of these lenders do you have your auto loan with; this person has never owned a car - so the answer was "none of the above" and the system was unhappy when that answer was repeated a few times so they had to appear in person at the local SS office.

Not a major hurdle, but a PITA - and the system obviously has problems which doesn't encourage me to use it. I suppose eventually I'll have to -
I had no problem setting up a mySocial Security account, but my wife did. After getting locked out, and calling tech support, with no help, and then finally schlepping to the local office to apply for benefits, the Rep told us the issue: when we got married (30+ years ago), da' wife went down to the local SS office to change her name and obtain a new SS card. [Note, we got married in a different state of her birth.] Somehow, someway, the SS Rep in the (married) state over-wrote her file (while they were changing her surname) such that married state also [wrongly] became her birth city/state.

Thus, the online application security questions for mySocialSecruity would never sync as it always froze when asked, "In what state were you born?". The correct answer did not match the (incorrect) answer in their system. Had to return to the office with a certified birth cert. PIA, but all is good now.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

F150HD wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:53 am
Kenkat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am They send you a letter to your house with a code that you enter. It proves that not only can you answer all of the questions asked during regular registration, it proves you also live at the address Social Security has on file for you.

By 'extra security' I assumed this process would create an extra step each and every time one logs into SS. (some form of code one enters, answer a credit report question, "other", etc). This doesn't sound like its the case. So after getting the code via USPS, entering it on the site once, one apparently logs in as they normally would each and everytime thereafter. (?)

The text message to your cell phone is just one more layer of security in today’s world. Once you are signed up for that, you cannot access the account without the code they text to you.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

2pedals wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:53 am
bradinsky wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:59 am
I have this already but did not sign up for the optional extra security or go through the process.

Yeah, that’s what I was referencing in my prior comment. No one has been able to log into their accounts without a unique code for over two years. I don’t understand how the “extra security” is any different.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

The only”extra” security is the code they text to you after you log in with your password.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

After thinking about this a little more, I wonder if this feature pre-dated the MFA code to your cell phone or email address and they’ve just left it out there and available even though it doesn’t really do anything that the newer MFA process doesn’t already do?

I signed up for ‘extra security’ / mailed code because it prompted me to, but I don’t see any benefit it provides.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 am

After thinking about this a little more, I wonder if this feature pre-dated the MFA code to your cell phone or email address and they’ve just left it out there and available even though it doesn’t really do anything that the newer MFA process doesn’t already do?

I signed up for ‘extra security’ / mailed code because it prompted me to, but I don’t see any benefit it provides.
That’s what I am thinking as well. May just be an oversight on the part of the agency.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bradinsky wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am The only”extra” security is the code they text to you after you log in with your password.
I think you're missing it. We already do that to login. This is a layer ABOVE that on the SS page. Thats what this thread is about.

Thanks.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 am After thinking about this a little more, I wonder if this feature pre-dated the MFA code to your cell phone or email address and they’ve just left it out there and available even though it doesn’t really do anything that the newer MFA process doesn’t already do?

+1 it just seems kinda pointless to me? Hence why I started this thread! LOL
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

So sorry everyone! That wasn’t there last time I logged in.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bradinsky wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:11 am So sorry everyone! That wasn’t there last time I logged in.
No worries. Thats why we're here discussing it. I don't recall seeing that a year ago either (?). Thanks.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Full circle post.

See "Add Extra Security" button. This is not a 'text code' to ones phone.

Has anyone enabled this? how was the experience? any issues? I still have not enabled it, hence a repeat a year later.

Didn't want to enable a feature that eventually becomes a nightmare and am then unable to get a hold of a human to undo it (credit bureaus come to mind).

Kinda like this comment above
...friend recently applied for Medicare and ran into problems. The financial questions were irrelevant - e.g., which of these lenders do you have your auto loan with; this person has never owned a car - so the answer was "none of the above" and the system was unhappy when that answer was repeated a few times so they had to appear in person at the local SS office.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

sounds like no one is using the extra security.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The Social Security Administration has had a long-standing contract with Equifax for identity verification. It has worked poorly, especially for those who have identity protection services in place. I sure hope this new "extra security" feature doesn't involve Equifax in any way.
rec630

Post by rec630 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:20 am The Social Security Administration has had a long-standing contract with Equifax for identity verification. It has worked poorly, especially for those who have identity protection services in place. I sure hope this new "extra security" feature doesn't involve Equifax in any way.
Equifax...meh! The only one of the 3 orgs that I could not get into or support for signing up for yearly free credit report.

Dont recall signing up for extra SSA security. When they first were going to MultiFactorAuthentication, they were requiring a cell phone to receive a code to login. Maybe a lot of negative feedback, but they realized a change needed and will now also send login codes to registered e-mail which is what I use.