Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bloom2708
Posts: 7089
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 pm

People "tribe" up. Pick your tribe. Don't worry about what others do.

We had Windows phones until they fizzled out.Kids like iPhones. The adults joined after our Windows Phones were retired.

Easy to just all be on the same ecosystem. People can spend a big amount on flagship Android phones just as easy as iPhones.

Upgrade when you have the money, are bored with your current phone or just want to. Easy.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

User avatar
baconavocado
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by baconavocado » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

You have a very outdated view of technology and what modern developers work on.

As greg24 mentioned, the bsd foundation of MacOS makes it a much more natural development environment for many developers.
I'm sure we could argue about this until the cows come home.

Here's what platforms "programmers" were working on in 2016: 26% use Mac OSX, 23% Win 7, 22% Linux, 21% Win 10, 8% Win 8. That's more than 50% windows.

And some interesting market share stats (2019). For mobile devices, in North America, iOS has a slight edge over android (52/47), but globally there's no contest, 75% android to 25% iOS.

For desktop computers, windows 80%, Mac, 15%.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipho ... e-3691861/

https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/operat ... ket-share/

ThankYouJack
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 pm
People "tribe" up. Pick your tribe. Don't worry about what others do.

We had Windows phones until they fizzled out.Kids like iPhones. The adults joined after our Windows Phones were retired.

Easy to just all be on the same ecosystem. People can spend a big amount on flagship Android phones just as easy as iPhones.

Upgrade when you have the money, are bored with your current phone or just want to. Easy.
I don’t get why people tribe up and get so passionate about it. I just use what I think is best for me. If someone is using something different - good. Competition is good.

Seems like some people have pretty big grudges in both directions and it seems foolish to me. Maybe I’m missing something.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gvsucavie03
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:30 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by gvsucavie03 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm

I've never had a phone that cost more than $80 or more than $20 per month. It does everything I need including YouTube TV and Netflix. Camera could be better, but I really don't use it that often. The money spent on smartphones is astounding - good for those that enjoy them, but absolutely unaffordable for many of us ;)

International is a different story, I may have to upgrade for an upcoming 3 week trip to Europe this summer. We drove to Toronto and thankfully downloaded the Google Maps because the phone shut down as soon as we crossed the boarder. Wi-Fi at the hotel we stayed at worked perfectly fine.

mrmass
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by mrmass » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm holding out for a new Windows Phone😄

bluebolt
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by bluebolt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:48 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm
bluebolt wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

You have a very outdated view of technology and what modern developers work on.

As greg24 mentioned, the bsd foundation of MacOS makes it a much more natural development environment for many developers.
I'm sure we could argue about this until the cows come home.

Here's what platforms "programmers" were working on in 2016: 26% use Mac OSX, 23% Win 7, 22% Linux, 21% Win 10, 8% Win 8. That's more than 50% windows.

And some interesting market share stats (2019). For mobile devices, in North America, iOS has a slight edge over android (52/47), but globally there's no contest, 75% android to 25% iOS.

For desktop computers, windows 80%, Mac, 15%.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipho ... e-3691861/

https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/operat ... ket-share/
You conveniently didn't quote your earlier message where you said, "By the way, when I was working, none of the hardcore IT guys used Apple computers. Apple computers used to be for artsy creative people and desktop publisher types who didn't understand computers. The IT guys tolerated Windows and worshiped Linux. Android is based on Linux."

And then you say that 26% of developers in 2016 were using MacOS.

So, I fail to see how my statement about your view being outdated is anything but correct. So, no, it's not a point to be argued until the cows come home. It's a point upon which you had outdated views.

I wasn't arguing that a majority or plurality of developers use MacOS. Merely that your view was outdated. Which it is (or was until your follow up post). And you made a further post with facts strengthening my point. Thank you.

ThankYouJack
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm
bluebolt wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

You have a very outdated view of technology and what modern developers work on.

As greg24 mentioned, the bsd foundation of MacOS makes it a much more natural development environment for many developers.
I'm sure we could argue about this until the cows come home.

Here's what platforms "programmers" were working on in 2016: 26% use Mac OSX, 23% Win 7, 22% Linux, 21% Win 10, 8% Win 8. That's more than 50% windows.

And some interesting market share stats (2019). For mobile devices, in North America, iOS has a slight edge over android (52/47), but globally there's no contest, 75% android to 25% iOS.

For desktop computers, windows 80%, Mac, 15%.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipho ... e-3691861/

https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/operat ... ket-share/
One thing to note is thats Operating systems. I dual boot windows 10 on my Mac because I’m a Microsoft .net developer. You can easily run windows from a Mac and not vice versa.

Workable Goblin
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Workable Goblin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Incidentally, I happen to be one of those developers who use macOS, since the software chain I (was) developing for worked properly on Mac and Linux--and not Windows. The last time I was in the market for a new computer, Windows Subsystem for Linux didn't really exist yet, and I had enough experience with Linux that I knew I didn't want to be running a Linux computer as my main work machine. So I got a Mac (I was in academia, so no one was going to buy a machine for me).

This happens to lead into answering the OP's question, because about a year later I got in the market for a new phone to replace my (then) Nexus 4, and since I was already all-in on Apple on the desktop, chose to get an iPhone because it is better integrated into the Apple ecosystem than Android phones. I haven't regretted this.

Topic Author
LoveTheBogle
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by LoveTheBogle » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm

OP HERE
This sparked a bit more attention that I had originally anticipated. Thank you all for the comments.

I've read through all of the responses and the number one reason seems to be that "it just works" followed by "it was the first phone I ever got and so I'm in that ecosystem.

The reason for the thread is because, as I mentioned in the OP by speaking with those with iPhones is that the number one reason, by far, is because
"it just works" which is straight up foreign to me because I have never had a single issue with Android OS iteself or any apps that I use day in and day out. Sure, I am just one person and maybe I'm the only person on planet earth that can say that with a straight face but honestly, I cannot recall any frustration, issues, freezing, weird outcomes, etc with Android OS itself or any of the apps that I use (not many). On the flip side, multiple friends with iPhones are CONSTANTLY complaining that they have nearly zero battery left and they are not overly technical people. Then here in this thread people say they work in tech and everyone uses iPhones which is just so weird to me. Does the iPhone have CLI? Can you use ping or other networking tools in iPhone? Can you simply plug in the iPhone and transfer pictures/documents/etc off of it or do you still have to use iTunes or some other weird proprietary software? The reason why I use Android is because "it just works" and yet that is the reason why people use iPhones which is why this is perplexing to me.

On a side note, I am switching carriers which is the motivation for this to see if maybe I should atleast try it as my primary for a month or two to see what people see rather than rely on others responses.

In the same breath I am very privacy focused and Apple considers itself a privacy and security focused company but there is a great amount of trust in that statement and maybe I just don't trust obscenely large corporations whose primary purpose is to generate as much profit as possible. Case in point is that Google spies on you.... well of course! Does Apple? No one really knows. Recall that Google's motto was (and still is?) right out of the gates of Stanford University over a decade ago "Don't be evil" and yet they are one of the most evil companies on planet earth when it comes to privacy. So for me personally, when Apple says that they are privacy focused I simply don't trust that statement. I trust it more than if Google said it, because Google's primary source of revenue are ads but Apple could flip on a dime if they wanted to get into the ad business once consumers catch on that they don't need the latest and greatest CPU every few years in a phone. I don't know. :confused

bpp
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by bpp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:58 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 am
bpp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm
I find it not so easy with just Japanese and English. For one thing, the little “globe” icon for language-switching changes position depending on which language mode one is in. Not nice. Then the emoji keyboard likes to insert itself randomly in the keyboard list, so when you do hit the globe icon, you never know what you’re going to get — a problem I solved by disabling emojis. But this kind of unpredictability should not be the default operation mode. Again, needlessly user-unfriendly.
I just tried the Japanese - Kana keyboard, and you're right about the little globe moving. That would be disruptive to flow. :oops: I have Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Chinese Simplified - Pinyin installed, and the globe button doesn't move switching between them. (It disappears entirely when you select the emoji keyboard and a small "ABC" button appears in the lower left corner. I guess that counts as moving.) I checked, and the globe doesn't move for Arabic, Russian, or Hindi - Devanagari either. They use the same basic layout as the languages with the Latin keyboard. They should probably keep the globe button in the lowest left corner for consistency. They could easily switch the number key and the globe key. (It would make sense to me to put the number key closest to the space bar.)
Thanks for checking that. Sounds like it is mainly a problem for the Japanese keyboard. Unfortunate for me, since I live in Japan.

I agree it would be nice if the globe key stayed in the lowest left corner for consistency. It would also be nice if the emoji keyboard weren’t accessed through the globe key, but through its own “emoji key,” so that one could pop into and out of it from any language.

...Interestingly, I just tried re-installing the emoji keyboard, and I see that if one enters the emoji keyboard from the Japanese keyboard, the emoji keyboard shows “ABC” at first in the lower left, then switches to “あいう” after a couple of seconds. Conversely, if one enters the emoji keyboard from the English keyboard, it shows ”あいう” at first, eventually changing to “ABC.” I guess the idea is that if one is cycling through keyboards rapidly, it shows the next keyboard available when one first reaches the emoji keyboard so that one can keep going. If one lingers at the emoji keyboard, it assumes one wants to return to the keyboard one was originally using after inserting an emoji. This actually makes sense. (Is it new behavior? I don’t think it used to do this.)

It would still be nicer if emojis weren’t mixed in with languages, and had their own key to access, but this not a bad work-around I guess.
bpp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm
As for Siri, I find her useless, so turned her off. I have instead installed Google Assistant for when I want to use a voice-activated assistant.
I try to minimize my interaction with Google as much as possible. Siri is limited, but she works well for me for a few well-defined functions. I use her to set timers and alarms and to send messages to family while I'm driving. Sometimes I ask her to play specific music playlists. That's about it. (I've organized my music into playlists with English names so that I can ask English Siri to play them.)
I’m not fond of Google’s tracking either, but mainly use the voice assistant to find the nearest gas station, convenience store, or the like, for which it’s pretty handy combined with Google Maps. Maybe I’ll try seeing if Siri and Apple Maps have improved enough to do the job at some point.

Starfish
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Starfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem? In mine, it's the women in my life.

I work in tech in SV with engineers with PhD from top 10 universities, most of them men. Everybody (well, 80%) has an iphone.
I go often on Google's campus, from what I see a lot of phones and most laptops are apple.
People who have no time and no decision power left don't want to fiddle with any settings. At some point choices are not a pozitive thing. It's like in supermarkets, why would I want to chose between 50 types of detergent or dish washing sponges?
It is true that iphones have downsides, but they just don't matter enough to most people.

User avatar
baconavocado
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by baconavocado » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem? In mine, it's the women in my life.

I work in tech in SV with engineers with PhD from top 10 universities, most of them men. Everybody (well, 80%) has an iphone.
I go often on Google's campus, from what I see a lot of phones and most laptops are apple.
People who have no time and no decision power left don't want to fiddle with any settings. At some point choices are not a pozitive thing. It's like in supermarkets, why would I want to chose between 50 types of detergent or dish washing sponges?
It is true that iphones have downsides, but they just don't matter enough to most people.
I would guess that most of the people you described, SV engineers and Google employees, have phones paid for by their employers, so the cost differential for iPhones is of no concern to them, and they probably all make salaries that allow them to enjoy expensive things anyway.

bpp
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by bpp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:31 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
OP HERE
The reason why I use Android is because "it just works" and yet that is the reason why people use iPhones which is why this is perplexing to me.
I agree that Android is more intuitive, and does a better job of “just working” without having to think or learn too much. The user interface is definitely one of the weak points of iOS.

But, long-term support is better for iOS. And AirDrop really is pretty handy. (On the flip side, split-screen multitasking would be nice to have on iPhones, as Android has. I hear iPads have it, so iPhones could as well if Apple deigned to let us have it.) I sometimes look longingly at the new Sony Xperias, but realistically, unless they start providing 4-5 years of security updates and OS upgrades (and compatibility with AirDrop would be nice, though I don’t expect it), I’m not likely to make the change back.
Last edited by bpp on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:34 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm
bluebolt wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

You have a very outdated view of technology and what modern developers work on.

As greg24 mentioned, the bsd foundation of MacOS makes it a much more natural development environment for many developers.
I'm sure we could argue about this until the cows come home.

Here's what platforms "programmers" were working on in 2016: 26% use Mac OSX, 23% Win 7, 22% Linux, 21% Win 10, 8% Win 8. That's more than 50% windows.

And some interesting market share stats (2019). For mobile devices, in North America, iOS has a slight edge over android (52/47), but globally there's no contest, 75% android to 25% iOS.

For desktop computers, windows 80%, Mac, 15%.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/ipho ... e-3691861/

https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/operat ... ket-share/
I still have to chuckle at the "none of the hardcore IT guys used Apple computers" comment in your other post. I worked at a silicon valley based tech company. Among the engineers, from college hires to the extremely technical people who made major architectural and design decisions, macs were quite popular. I don't know the exact percentage, but it was surely higher than the mac market share among all consumers.

In the second quoted article, we see this statement: " statistics show programmers prefer Mac OS X "

But actually, "desktop" doesn't really mean that much. In my last job, my desktop was a windows 10 box. It ran outlook and was the simplest way to handle MS office documents (Windows is actually my least favorite desktop operating system in most ways). But almost all of my software development was done via rshing to a Unix box (e.g. Linux server). This for a large embedded operating system. For some projects, I did development using a Linux VM running on my windows desktop.

The point being, any statistics looking at what was used for the desktop at my company would have concluded most people used windows or macs, with a smaller (but non-trivial) percentage using Linux as their desktop. But just about all the software development (editing, compiling, building, unit testing etc) was done on Unix servers.

And the only point here relevant to the original post is that people thinking Apple products are for the technically illiterate are incorrect. Techies and non techies use iPhones. If you want an iPhone, buy it without shame :happy

Cycle
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Cycle » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Why did you choose an iPhone?
It was unparalleled at the time. I was upgrading from a blackberry
How often do you upgrade?
Never have
Why did you upgrade?
Didnt
Have you ever used an Android OS based device, and if so, what do you like more about iOS versus that of Android?
Yes. Been using it since I sold my 3GS. I don't like iOS
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

TN_Boy
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm
Starfish wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem? In mine, it's the women in my life.

I work in tech in SV with engineers with PhD from top 10 universities, most of them men. Everybody (well, 80%) has an iphone.
I go often on Google's campus, from what I see a lot of phones and most laptops are apple.
People who have no time and no decision power left don't want to fiddle with any settings. At some point choices are not a pozitive thing. It's like in supermarkets, why would I want to chose between 50 types of detergent or dish washing sponges?
It is true that iphones have downsides, but they just don't matter enough to most people.
I would guess that most of the people you described, SV engineers and Google employees, have phones paid for by their employers, so the cost differential for iPhones is of no concern to them, and they probably all make salaries that allow them to enjoy expensive things anyway.
I'd be interested in what data (versus guessing, and I disagree with your guess) you are using to assert that "most of the people you described, SV engineers and Google employees, have phones paid for by their employers."

Regardless, I'm confused by your logic. If "techies" prefer android phones, why don't tech companies who provide cell phones to employees give those employees android phones? If they are cheaper and just as good, why not?

Engineers were not routinely given cell phones at any of the tech companies I've worked for. Internal IT and customer support folks might get them, because they might get called in at home. But most of us developers do not/did not have company provided cell phones. Frankly, I would not want to be making personal calls or doing other personal stuff on a device owned by my company. Which is why some people with company phones have their own phones as well. Also at my last company, they would provide desktop/laptops either Windows or Mac, employee's choice.

spae
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by spae » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:57 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm
I would guess that most of the people you described, SV engineers and Google employees, have phones paid for by their employers, so the cost differential for iPhones is of no concern to them
That's actually pretty rare. For a year or two, Google gave out Android phones as Christmas gifts but a lot of people still used iPhones. Some companies will cover phone bills but it's unusual for companies to cover phones.

For the reasons mentioned by TN, the people I know who have company phones keep a separate phone because the company has full access to the company phone. Even if you consider privacy to be worthless, the company will sometimes brick the phone when people leave.

Starfish
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Starfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:23 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm
Starfish wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem? In mine, it's the women in my life.

I work in tech in SV with engineers with PhD from top 10 universities, most of them men. Everybody (well, 80%) has an iphone.
I go often on Google's campus, from what I see a lot of phones and most laptops are apple.
People who have no time and no decision power left don't want to fiddle with any settings. At some point choices are not a pozitive thing. It's like in supermarkets, why would I want to chose between 50 types of detergent or dish washing sponges?
It is true that iphones have downsides, but they just don't matter enough to most people.
I would guess that most of the people you described, SV engineers and Google employees, have phones paid for by their employers, so the cost differential for iPhones is of no concern to them, and they probably all make salaries that allow them to enjoy expensive things anyway.
Several years ago there was almost no price differential (only 200$), as carriers were subsidizing the phones. So it made no sense to buy a cheap phone. An iphone was 200$, while a cheap, hard to use, phone was 0$, and the monthly payment for the plan was the same. People with cheap phones were subsidizing expensive phones through the plan. The difference in usability for 200$ was enormous. This got a lot of people into Apple ecosystem.

Even nowadays there is no price difference between an Iphone and comparable Android phones. The main difference is that you can buy a decent cheap phone.

Companies usually don't pay for phones except for management (there are exceptions). I don't know how is now but in the past Google did give phones and paid for the plans for many people but not for Iphones, only for several android phones. People who had Iphones paid everything from their own pocket. And there were still plenty of iphones.

I personally don't care, I would use an android phone, but my last iphone was practically for free when I moved to Virgin for a year.

Starfish
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Starfish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
OP HERE

In the same breath I am very privacy focused and Apple considers itself a privacy and security focused company but there is a great amount of trust in that statement and maybe I just don't trust obscenely large corporations whose primary purpose is to generate as much profit as possible. Case in point is that Google spies on you.... well of course! Does Apple? No one really knows.
I have friends in both companies and from my discussions with them, Apple makes a real effort to anonymize the data before they use it.
On the other hand Google makes money off your data. That is >90% of the money they make, there is no other source for them. It's public, out in the open, not a conspiracy.
When a company tells you in your face that they use your data and their purpose is to maximize what the data they get and the other tells you that they value privacy,m the choice is pretty clear, isn't it?
Last edited by Starfish on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3-20Characters
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by 3-20Characters » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:05 pm

There’s a flaw in the iOS/Android comparison—Windows v. Mac as well. Look at it this way: Say 10 companies are selling cars. 9 companies sell only red cars and one company sells only blue cars. Red car sales dominate. What can we glean from this? What if I told you that the blue car company was number 2 or 3 in sales with only one or two red car companies selling more cars?

The car analogy applies to computers, smartphones and tablets. There is not an android phone. There are many manufacturers that ship their phones with android installed. If you group them together, you have the 9 red car companies and of course, they ship more units than the one blue car company. If you compare the blue car company with any other single company, you see a different picture. Compare further the profitability and resources of the blue car company to maintain, improve and secure its product, and it’s a really different picture.

I trust Apple more than google because of simple profit motive. This is not just my phone. I use duck for search, my gmail is only used for unimportant mail, I don’t use google cloud or maps for navigation. I didn’t start out this way. It has been a steady process over years. Google’s biz model demands that it makes certain intrusions into my privacy. Apple sells me hardware and is at least somewhat motivated to make privacy a selling point. And there’s one more thing (as Jobs used to say). When you buy that Huawei phone running Android, you are not only trusting google but Huawei as well. I don’t know about you, but I’m starting to feel a little uncomfortable right about now.

To understand Apple, you must understand its difference from other computer and phone manufacturers. With both computers and smart phones, Apple’s business model has been to not license their OS. They tie their software to their hardware and you get both or none. You like or reject the package as one. If memory serves, Bill Gates said their model would be their undoing and it almost was some 20+ years ago—before the Jobs came back and before the iPhone. Maybe it will still prove true with smartphones, but not yet.

onourway
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by onourway » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:07 am

cmublitz wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm
MrBeaver wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 pm
Not full time, but I have played with one. Three main reasons:
  1. Longevity and OS updates. This could be achieved on Android by sticking with a Google Pixel, but it would be just as expensive as an iPhone.
  2. Security. This requires #1, but even once you achieve that, iPhone zero day exploits sell for considerably more than android zero days, which is a reasonable proxy for the difficulty of hacking a patched, up to date phone.
  3. Design. I’ll say that the physical phone designs have mostly converged, so this is not a big difference. But software is night and day. I’d say Android let’s you do almost anything, but there are a dozen ways to accomplish each thing which makes it more cluttered and confusing. iOS is more limiting, but clear, simple, and uncluttered. I prefer the latter.
Your reason #2 caught my eye since I had just seen an article on this not too long ago. Zerodium, one of the companies that pays for Zero day exploits is actually currently paying more for zero click Android exploits than iOS exploits. $2.5 million vs $2 million. Their website can be found here: https://zerodium.com/program.html.

An article speculating why can be found here: https://www.wired.com/story/android-zer ... -zerodium/
"During the last few months, we have observed an increase in the number of iOS exploits, mostly Safari and iMessage chains, being developed and sold by researchers from all around the world. The zero-day market is so flooded by iOS exploits that we've recently started refusing some them," Zerodium's founder Chaouki Bekrar wrote in a message to WIRED. Meanwhile, Bekrar writes, "Android security is improving with every new release of the OS thanks to the security teams of Google and Samsung, so it became very hard and time consuming to develop full chains of exploits for Android and it's even harder to develop zero-click exploits not requiring any user interaction."
This is just a single point in time comparison of the two operating systems which isn’t terribly valuable. Many of the security breaches are also not of the serious zero-day type, but more innocuously injected into your free app downloads with the Play store being far less regulated than Apple’s App Store.

More importantly though, even if Android has fewer vulnerabilities today, that’s of little consequence because very few Android users are using the latest version. The vast majority are on outdated versions, many on severely outdated versions, and will never be updated. Apple routinely sees 50% adoption rate of their new iOS releases within months of release - across their entire user base.

onourway
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by onourway » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 am

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Does the iPhone have CLI? Can you use ping or other networking tools in iPhone? Can you simply plug in the iPhone and transfer pictures/documents/etc off of it or do you still have to use iTunes or some other weird proprietary software? The reason why I use Android is because "it just works" and yet that is the reason why people use iPhones which is why this is perplexing to me.
I have never ever once wished I had a CLI on my phone. Yes, I can simply plug in my iphone and simply transfer pictures and documents off it, and I have been able to for many years. I’m not sure why I would bother though, as everything is already on all of my other devices thanks to iCloud and other cloud storage services I’ve used for years.

When I take a picture on my iphone, and it automatically shows up on my screen saver on my tv later that night, and then is used to automatically create themed slideshows with smooth transitions and music that my family enjoys watching, that ‘just works’. When I edit one of those photos on my iPad and all of the edit history is preserved across devices, including the original version. That ‘just works.’ When I get a new phone and need to simply place the old phone next to the new one, and everything - apps, settings, photos, music, passwords - everything is transferred over for me. That ‘just works’.

Making the complex simple is MUCH more of an engineering feat that keeping the complex, complex.

andypanda
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by andypanda » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:39 am

" Can you simply plug in the iPhone and transfer pictures/documents/etc off of it or do you still have to use iTunes or some other weird proprietary software?"

Yes, you can use a wire. I don't know any other way. :) Okay, there is iCloud suppose if you want to bother with it.

Heck, I have an old HP Pavilion M7 Entertainment laptop running Windows 7 that I use for storing old pics and vids. Two weeks ago, before we bought two iPhone 11's, I used the phone charger wires to connect my iPhone 6s and her iPhone 5c to the laptop and clicked the popup boxes that asked where to download the pics. And there they were. No muss, no fuss.

davetopia
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by davetopia » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:06 am

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Then here in this thread people say they work in tech and everyone uses iPhones which is just so weird to me. Does the iPhone have CLI? Can you use ping or other networking tools in iPhone?
I know a lot of people in very technical jobs, myself included, who spend most of their day writing and debugging code in a CLI but have no desire to have to deal with that level of nonsense in the few hours they aren't at work. Honestly, I would consider a situation where I had to run a CLI on ping from my phone to be a complete failure of it as a consumer electronics device.

I used Android for a couple of years in the late 2000's and got burned by the fragmented experience and the ship it and drop it mentality of the third party hardware vendors. After a year or so of jailbreaking and installing custom drivers and hacks to get to the latest versions of Android and having an open source GPS chipset driver fail while I was on vacation, I gave up.

In my old age, I've also started to notice the different creepy ways that Google is mass harvesting large amounts of information about me to sell ads. There is no way around it, that is their entire business model. Apple makes money by being a hardware company and a lot of their recent moves make it very clear they are trying to circumvent the ways other companies are abusing data.

I use a few Google open source projects at work. I guess it's cool that they contribute stuff back, but you have to realize they aren't sharing their "money code" with you. Just because you can look at the Chrome source code doesn't mean Google is committed to your privacy and security on their massive proprietary backend.

andypanda
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by andypanda » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 am

"Does the iPhone have CLI?"

I hope not. I had quite enough of that nonsense back in the mid-80s when I was assigned to an office that ran on an Apple IIc and an Apple IIe. I eventually convinced the purse minders to buy us a 286-based system and a LaserJet after I pirated a copy of DOS and some usable office software for the Leading Edge and showed them that it really would boot up and run. :)

A CLI? No thank you.

spae
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by spae » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:06 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
OP HERE
I have never had a single issue with Android OS iteself or any apps that I use day in and day out. Sure, I am just one person and maybe I'm the only person on planet earth that can say that with a straight face but honestly, I cannot recall any frustration, issues, freezing, weird outcomes, etc with Android OS itself or any of the apps that I use (not many). On the flip side, multiple friends with iPhones are CONSTANTLY complaining that they have nearly zero battery left and they are not overly technical people.

...

when Apple says that they are privacy focused I simply don't trust that statement.
Sounds like you don't want an iPhone.
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Then here in this thread people say they work in tech and everyone uses iPhones which is just so weird to me. Does the iPhone have CLI? Can you use ping or other networking tools in iPhone?
Out the hundreds of engineers who I've known who have to carry a device on them because they're on call, I know zero who would consider using a phone as a replacement for their laptop. I know people who use a command line on their phone as a parlor trick, but even they would agree that using a command line on their phone to debug production issues is not a good idea. I'm sure some people do it, but I'd be surprised if even one in a thousand did and I wouldn't be surprised if the number one in ten thousand.

For people not on call, there's even less use for a command line on a phone.

I use a command line at work, full screen tmux with emacs permanently in window 0, w3m in emacs for web browsing on sites where it's feasible. At home, I write command line versions of software because I prefer the interface. I have my own command line software to track my investments across multiple sites because I didn't want to give my password to Mint or Fidelity to track things and Vanguard doesn't handle some funds correctly. I prefer this interface to GUIs because I can pipe the output of my software to other command line tools I'm already familiar with. I have zero use for a command line on my phone. At phone typing speeds, what's the point?

You can get network utilities and ssh on an iPhone, but once again, what would be the point?

I have no objection to people using whatever phone they prefer. It's ultimately a personal choice that's less quantifiable than things most people would consider a personal choice in these parts, like asset allocation. As a result, I find the stream of anti-iPhone reasons from people in this thread to be pretty strange. No one in tech uses iPhones. Only non-technical people use iPhones. People in tech only use iPhones because their employer gave them an iPhone without allowing them to get an Android phone for free. etc.

The thing I find strange about these comments is how easily falsifiable they are. Just walk into the office of any FAANG company or any hot unicorn and you'll see a lot of iPhones, even at Google which makes a direct competitor. Why are people so invested in the idea that iPhone users are non-technical? This last comment isn't speaking to the OP, it's other comments in this thread.

dollarbillz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by dollarbillz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm

I’m late to the party here, but just here to say: Apple wins for one major reason with me - privacy and security.

I used to be an Android user. A very dedicated one. But in 2019 I can not even fathom having an always-on, data harvesting Android (Google) device, sending every detail about me back to Google servers. I made the switch to iPhone in 2016 with the iPhone 7 Plus, and haven’t looked back. With each generation of software, Apple seems to pay more and more attention to privacy and security, which I appreciate. I am looking forward to wide adoption of Sign In with Apple, for example.

As a power user, there is no feature that I feel I am missing in iOS as compared to Android. I can even sideload apps with my developer account, but Apple makes it (rightfully) extremely difficult to do so, once again prioritizing security. For those who say iPhones are for non-tech savvy people - I can VPN into my home network as well as the hospital with my iPhone. I have an SSH client and can manage my home server running Debian from command line on my iPhone. Truthfully, there’s nothing I can’t do on my iPhone that I could have done on any of my Android phones.

Some will say, but hey - no widgets, you can’t change system fonts, you can’t change icons, etc etc etc. None of these things matter to me. I use my phone to get work done, to communicate effectively with my friends and family, as my primary camera and photo-editing device, and to consume media/fill my free time. iOS and the iPhone complete these tasks more efficiently, more securely, and more privately than any other hardware or mobile OS, in my opinion.

I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.

I know I sound like a fanboy, but I have been on both sides (Windows/Android vs Apple), consider myself very tech-savvy, and believe an iPhone is the right phone for most people, particularly those who choose to prioritize privacy and security.

Topic Author
LoveTheBogle
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by LoveTheBogle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 pm

dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.
Can you (or anyone) delve deeper into what it means by being in the "Apple ecosystem"?

Are you talking about iCloud? iTunes?
Having your iPhone, iPad and Macbook all have the same syncing of contacts, calendar, etc?
Something about Apple TV?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole Apple ecosystem, which I have heard used frequently and not entirely sure what that means. Isn't this a bit of having all of your eggs (and trust) in one basket (Apple)?

oxothuk
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by oxothuk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:49 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 pm
dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.
Can you (or anyone) delve deeper into what it means by being in the "Apple ecosystem"?
ITunes is the least of it.

For us it means
FaceTime
Shared photo albums
Shared family calendars
iCloud sync of contacts, keychains, bookmarks,notes, etc.
Photo album display on AppleTV
Airdrop files
Quick share of WiFi passwords
ApplePay
Apple Watch integration

There is probably a lot of other stuff I’m forgetting. Not saying you can’t do most of the same stuff with Android, but it’s not as seamless IMHO.

dollarbillz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by dollarbillz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:52 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 pm
dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.
Can you (or anyone) delve deeper into what it means by being in the "Apple ecosystem"?

Are you talking about iCloud? iTunes?
Having your iPhone, iPad and Macbook all have the same syncing of contacts, calendar, etc?
Something about Apple TV?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole Apple ecosystem, which I have heard used frequently and not entirely sure what that means. Isn't this a bit of having all of your eggs (and trust) in one basket (Apple)?
Sure. Everything oxothuk mentioned definitely. I’ll give you some concrete, real life examples.

- First, for me. I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, AirPods, and an Apple TV. My devices all work together seamlessly. I use my iPad Pro as an additional monitor for my MacBook Pro. My AirPods were paired to my phone one time, and they were immediately available to use on all of my other devices without pairing (because my devices are all logged into the same iCloud account). I can use my phone or watch as an input device for the Apple TV. I can start things on one device and continue on others. In fact, I read your post on my phone. I wanted to respond so I opened my MacBook Pro, and there was a little icon in the dock that I clicked and it immediately opened your post in a new safari tab on my laptop (continuity). Even the clipboard is shared across devices. If I copy something on my phone, I can paste it on my ipad or my MacBook Pro, and vice versa. The way Apple devices are integrated with one another and work together relatively seamlessly is not paralleled. This is one of the benefits of having the same company make both the hardware and software of all of their products.

- iMessage. I’m not going to bother explaining this one because it’s impossible to explain. You just have to try it. I have known many people who have refused to switch from iPhone because of iMessage. It’s better than SMS, WhatsApp, Hangouts, or whatever else you may be using now. It’s secure. And it can be used on every single Apple device you own.

- Shared purchases. I’ve bought many apps from the App Store. I have Music, News, and Arcade subscriptions. These are all shared with everyone in my family.

- Family management. I have kids with ios devices. My wife and I have parental controls over their devices. I have to approve any app purchases they make. Everyone in our family can see the location of everyone else in the family at any time. In fact, I can locate any of our devices at any time. We share iCloud storage space. We FaceTime with family frequently - I used Google’s various iterations of this and none of them are nearly as good/intuitive as FaceTime.

- Photos. We have shared albums. My wife, parents, brother, in-laws, can all post photos into our shared albums. We can comment on them, save them to our own devices, or just go back to look at the shared albums at any time. It’s kind of like our own private social network. Google Photos may have the upper hand from a features standpoint, but it comes at the expense of giving away all of your photos to Google to... do God knows what with.

- AirPlay 2. This is huge. Again, something you have to try to appreciate. Much better than Google’s version (casting), in my opinion.

- AirDrop. Immediate sharing of files between ios devices. No “text me that, email me that” etc. Just kinda zap it over.

There are many, many, many other examples. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

The flip side of all of these conveniences of course is, once you’re in, you’re kind of in. Apple devices are not cheap. I’ve bought many apps from the App Store. Even if I wanted to switch back to an Android phone, for example, (I can’t see this happening), it would render so many of my devices useless (Apple Watch for example), or much less useful (Apple TV for example), without having the full complement of compatible devices.

So... that’s the ecosystem in a nutshell. And for better or worse, we are kind of in it, and probably never, ever getting out. And that... that is exactly what they want.

3-20Characters
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by 3-20Characters » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:56 pm

oxothuk wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:49 pm
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 pm
dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.
Can you (or anyone) delve deeper into what it means by being in the "Apple ecosystem"?
ITunes is the least of it.

For us it means
FaceTime
Shared photo albums
Shared family calendars
iCloud sync of contacts, keychains, bookmarks,notes, etc.
Photo album display on AppleTV
Airdrop files
Quick share of WiFi passwords
ApplePay
Apple Watch integration

There is probably a lot of other stuff I’m forgetting. Not saying you can’t do most of the same stuff with Android, but it’s not as seamless IMHO.
Mail
Notes
Numbers
Pages
Maps
Documents
Find my
Manage iCloud family account and purchases
A bunch of other stuff like when you get a call, have it ring your iPad
Plus stuff I’m forgetting because it works without me thinking about it.

I am actually using less and less third party apps as Apple has built up the apps that they ship with iOS over the last few years. 1Password is probably my most indispensable 3rd party app because of what it does and how seamlessly it works with Apple and third party apps, but I would consider switching to keychain if it was more robust (notes field, etc).

itsdamon
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by itsdamon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Yeah the thing about iphones is that they play well with my mac as well as my apple watch. Everything syncs together (for the most part) and that's why I keep it.

I used to have an Android about 6 years ago, and I liked them too. The design (first iPhone was a 5s) was enough of an appeal for me to stick around. I think Google's UI is a little too playful for my taste so I stick to iPhone, but I won't shell out 1k a year for it.

Like you said its the exact same thing.

I think I'll keep my X for another 2 years or so before upgrading.

If it starts to fail though I'll get the battery replacement.

Topic Author
LoveTheBogle
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by LoveTheBogle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm

dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:52 pm
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 pm
dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.
Can you (or anyone) delve deeper into what it means by being in the "Apple ecosystem"?

Are you talking about iCloud? iTunes?
Having your iPhone, iPad and Macbook all have the same syncing of contacts, calendar, etc?
Something about Apple TV?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole Apple ecosystem, which I have heard used frequently and not entirely sure what that means. Isn't this a bit of having all of your eggs (and trust) in one basket (Apple)?
Sure. Everything oxothuk mentioned definitely. I’ll give you some concrete, real life examples.

- First, for me. I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, AirPods, and an Apple TV. My devices all work together seamlessly. I use my iPad Pro as an additional monitor for my MacBook Pro. My AirPods were paired to my phone one time, and they were immediately available to use on all of my other devices without pairing (because my devices are all logged into the same iCloud account). I can use my phone or watch as an input device for the Apple TV. I can start things on one device and continue on others. In fact, I read your post on my phone. I wanted to respond so I opened my MacBook Pro, and there was a little icon in the dock that I clicked and it immediately opened your post in a new safari tab on my laptop (continuity). Even the clipboard is shared across devices. If I copy something on my phone, I can paste it on my ipad or my MacBook Pro, and vice versa. The way Apple devices are integrated with one another and work together relatively seamlessly is not paralleled. This is one of the benefits of having the same company make both the hardware and software of all of their products.

- iMessage. I’m not going to bother explaining this one because it’s impossible to explain. You just have to try it. I have known many people who have refused to switch from iPhone because of iMessage. It’s better than SMS, WhatsApp, Hangouts, or whatever else you may be using now. It’s secure. And it can be used on every single Apple device you own.

- Shared purchases. I’ve bought many apps from the App Store. I have Music, News, and Arcade subscriptions. These are all shared with everyone in my family.

- Family management. I have kids with ios devices. My wife and I have parental controls over their devices. I have to approve any app purchases they make. Everyone in our family can see the location of everyone else in the family at any time. In fact, I can locate any of our devices at any time. We share iCloud storage space. We FaceTime with family frequently - I used Google’s various iterations of this and none of them are nearly as good/intuitive as FaceTime.

- Photos. We have shared albums. My wife, parents, brother, in-laws, can all post photos into our shared albums. We can comment on them, save them to our own devices, or just go back to look at the shared albums at any time. It’s kind of like our own private social network. Google Photos may have the upper hand from a features standpoint, but it comes at the expense of giving away all of your photos to Google to... do God knows what with.

- AirPlay 2. This is huge. Again, something you have to try to appreciate. Much better than Google’s version (casting), in my opinion.

- AirDrop. Immediate sharing of files between ios devices. No “text me that, email me that” etc. Just kinda zap it over.

There are many, many, many other examples. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

The flip side of all of these conveniences of course is, once you’re in, you’re kind of in. Apple devices are not cheap. I’ve bought many apps from the App Store. Even if I wanted to switch back to an Android phone, for example, (I can’t see this happening), it would render so many of my devices useless (Apple Watch for example), or much less useful (Apple TV for example), without having the full complement of compatible devices.

So... that’s the ecosystem in a nutshell. And for better or worse, we are kind of in it, and probably never, ever getting out. And that... that is exactly what they want.
dollarbillz: wow, thank you so much for the very insightful response. Concrete examples of what it really means to be in the full ecosystem.
I had no idea that your clipboard can go from any and all of your Apple devices that are linked to the same iCloud account. But..... isn.t... that.... a .... little scary? If you use any password management software there is inevitably going to be times in which you copy and paste your brokerage password. You copied it from your macbook pro and boom, your iPhone knows about it, your iwatch knows about it, your Apple Tv knows it. Obviously that is extreme, because really it is just one single source (iCloud) but any device, even ones that are not near you, could be compromised. Maybe I need to go get my tinfoil hat on but that seems very creepy and potentially dangerous. At what point is Apple really not listening/watching? Are they monitoring every single keystroke that you do all so that you can potentially go back in time and see what you typed in this post 5 years later? Seriously though, if they, through their proprietary software have the ability to link your clipboard staright into iCloud without any action from you what keeps them from sending every single keystroke without your knowledge?

I suppose at the end of the day it is a matter of security/privacy versus convenience. I must admit what you explained sounds extremely convenient and as you state "continuity" but at what cost (and i'm not talking about dollar's here). Recent news is that Apple CEO Tim Cook is going to be chairman at a Chinese business school........ .il don't want this to get off topic and into politics but that could mean major privacy and security concerns for the entire Apple ecosystem (all of iCloud for example being spied on by the Chinese). Again, maybe I need to go get my tinfoil hat on. Long tail risk perhaps?

I love the statement "trust but verify" and Apple doesn't allow anyone to verify so it is simply trust. They do have a lot at stake, by keeping the end user happy they can sell more devices whereas Google's revenue is almost entirely from ad's but Apple and management are not stupid people and I have no doubt that they would shift that in a second if they figured that the economics behind it would be more in favor of spying/ads versus straight up hardware sales. :shock:

Dyloot
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:04 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Dyloot » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Apple got there first. The product line has been straight-forward and easy to understand. They produce the hardware, and the hardware has always been impressive. They have maintained quality. The UI is rigid, but easy to use. The software available on the platform is rich and diverse. They've surrounded the flagship iPhone with amazing complementary devices, like the iPad, ATV, Apple Watch, and AirPods.

Google arrived late. The product line--produced by many companies--varies in quality. The UI is different than iOS (obviously), requiring iOS users to learn something new. They've also released complimentary devices, but none have had the industry impact that Apple has made. And really, they lack an obvious roadmap to the consumer--Google is trying to emulate Apple with their Pixel line, but even their own hardware is obscured by the Samsung lines that are far more common in the marketplace.

Most smartphone users I know aren't too concerned about file systems, power user tools, and UI modifications. Most I know just want a really good product, an Apple delivers that very effectively--in both marketing, and in performance.

To the OP--just buy the Android. You have your reasons, and they are valid. But, I find the answer to your question of "why" to be pretty obvious. The iPhone is one of the most amazing pieces of tech our civilization has ever produced. And yeah, people really like it.

KarenC
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by KarenC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm
dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:52 pm
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 pm
dollarbillz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm
I am now deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, along with my entire family, and I am extremely happy with the features and overall experience.
Can you (or anyone) delve deeper into what it means by being in the "Apple ecosystem"?

Are you talking about iCloud? iTunes?
Having your iPhone, iPad and Macbook all have the same syncing of contacts, calendar, etc?
Something about Apple TV?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole Apple ecosystem, which I have heard used frequently and not entirely sure what that means. Isn't this a bit of having all of your eggs (and trust) in one basket (Apple)?
Sure. Everything oxothuk mentioned definitely. I’ll give you some concrete, real life examples.

- […] Even the clipboard is shared across devices. If I copy something on my phone, I can paste it on my ipad or my MacBook Pro, and vice versa. The way Apple devices are integrated with one another and work together relatively seamlessly is not paralleled. This is one of the benefits of having the same company make both the hardware and software of all of their products. […]
dollarbillz: wow, thank you so much for the very insightful response. Concrete examples of what it really means to be in the full ecosystem.
I had no idea that your clipboard can go from any and all of your Apple devices that are linked to the same iCloud account. But..... isn.t... that.... a .... little scary? If you use any password management software there is inevitably going to be times in which you copy and paste your brokerage password. You copied it from your macbook pro and boom, your iPhone knows about it, your iwatch knows about it, your Apple Tv knows it. Obviously that is extreme, because really it is just one single source (iCloud) but any device, even ones that are not near you, could be compromised. Maybe I need to go get my tinfoil hat on but that seems very creepy and potentially dangerous. At what point is Apple really not listening/watching? Are they monitoring every single keystroke that you do all so that you can potentially go back in time and see what you typed in this post 5 years later? Seriously though, if they, through their proprietary software have the ability to link your clipboard staright into iCloud without any action from you what keeps them from sending every single keystroke without your knowledge?

I suppose at the end of the day it is a matter of security/privacy versus convenience. I must admit what you explained sounds extremely convenient and as you state "continuity" but at what cost (and i'm not talking about dollar's here). Recent news is that Apple CEO Tim Cook is going to be chairman at a Chinese business school........ .il don't want this to get off topic and into politics but that could mean major privacy and security concerns for the entire Apple ecosystem (all of iCloud for example being spied on by the Chinese). Again, maybe I need to go get my tinfoil hat on. Long tail risk perhaps?

I love the statement "trust but verify" and Apple doesn't allow anyone to verify so it is simply trust. They do have a lot at stake, by keeping the end user happy they can sell more devices whereas Google's revenue is almost entirely from ad's but Apple and management are not stupid people and I have no doubt that they would shift that in a second if they figured that the economics behind it would be more in favor of spying/ads versus straight up hardware sales. :shock:
According to Ars Technica, the clipboard sharing only occurs between devices that are in Bluetooth range of each other, and the data that is shared doesn’t go through Apple’s servers:
Though both of your devices need to be signed in to the same iCloud account to trust each other, your data never appears to touch Apple's servers—like Handoff, all communication is local.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/0 ... view/4/#h3
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1855
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Dyloot wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:08 pm
Apple got there first. The product line has been straight-forward and easy to understand. They produce the hardware, and the hardware has always been impressive. They have maintained quality. The UI is rigid, but easy to use. The software available on the platform is rich and diverse. They've surrounded the flagship iPhone with amazing complementary devices, like the iPad, ATV, Apple Watch, and AirPods.

Google arrived late. The product line--produced by many companies--varies in quality. The UI is different than iOS (obviously), requiring iOS users to learn something new. They've also released complimentary devices, but none have had the industry impact that Apple has made. And really, they lack an obvious roadmap to the consumer--Google is trying to emulate Apple with their Pixel line, but even their own hardware is obscured by the Samsung lines that are far more common in the marketplace.

Most smartphone users I know aren't too concerned about file systems, power user tools, and UI modifications. Most I know just want a really good product, an Apple delivers that very effectively--in both marketing, and in performance.

To the OP--just buy the Android. You have your reasons, and they are valid. But, I find the answer to your question of "why" to be pretty obvious. The iPhone is one of the most amazing pieces of tech our civilization has ever produced. And yeah, people really like it.
Well said. in some ways it is difficult to explain how good the OS is in Apple products unless you have spent a couple of years using their products. I spent 38 years working in IT hardware and software engineering and consulting with the last 10 years in Cyber and Enterprise security. I was the last in our family to migrate over to Apple products. Reluctant and skeptical at first, then a couple of years later fully appreciating the value and the amazing design and functionality built into these remarkable products.

The downside is that Apple products sell for premium prices, but for folks that can easily afford to pay the premium and use the products as an integrated platform, they supply an unparalleled and extremely reliable user experience. Folks that need an inexpensive phone and are budget constrained would be better served buying an android OS based phone.

Caduceus
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Caduceus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:56 am

I think Apple's moat will disappear over time. I've seen people of all ages - from millenials to older folks - basically switch to other phones. In my family, I'd say slightly over 50% of them have stopped using Apple and have moved on to other phones. When Iphones stop being seen as the "coolest" conspicuous consumption item and ceases to have bragging rights, I think its market share will drop significantly.

I personally like the Iphone because it's simple. I remember trying a Windows Phone for a week and it was god-awfully difficult to use. The interface was not intuitive. I hated having to customize ten thousand different things. The Iphone is pretty much functional right ouf of the box.

I'm using an Iphone SE now. I bought a display unit a few months ago from Ebay for less than $100. It's basically a new phone. So you don't have to pay $1,000 for Iphones. I have spent less than $200 on phones my entire life. Most of my phones are pass-me-downs from family members. When they decide they want the jazzier shinier phone, I get their old ones, which I am perfectly happy with.

dollarbillz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by dollarbillz » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 am

LoveTheBogle post_ x. wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm
I suppose at the end of the day it is a matter of security/privacy versus convenience.
Apple is one of the most transparent and consumer friendly tech companies when it comes to privacy and security (anti-tracking built into safari; Sign In with Apple; fine tuning per app and per site permissions; encryption of all data AND end to end encryption of most sensitive data- calls, messages, and photos; many more examples). Anyone who has concerns about privacy and security and chooses to use an Android device... I can’t understand that.

Google has taken some steps to improve on this front (primarily because of poor public perception) but continues to have a major conflict of interests - on the one hand, the privacy and security of its customers’ data; on the other hand, harvesting as much of that data as possible from said customers to maximize ad revenue.

Spooky
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Spooky » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Why did you choose an iPhone?: My husband, who is a software developer, suggested I get an iPhone, although he has only had androids himself. He likes things he can "hack."- Maybe this is a sign he thinks I am technologically slow.

How often do you upgrade/ Why did you upgrade? : When the phone appears about to die or there seems to be no support for the apps I have. I think I am on my 3rd iPhone since 2009, only the first was new. It has been easy to transfer all my contacts and pictures, etc. from phone to phone. Maybe it would be easy to transfer all of that to a non-iPhone. I don't know.


Have you ever used an Android OS based device, and if so, what do you like more about iOS versus that of Android?
--we had a nexus tablet, and it did seem like some apps wouldn't work, because maybe there was a slightly different version of android. For better or for worse, Apple controls the apps you can get, much more so than android.

engineerahead
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by engineerahead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm

MrBeaver wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 pm
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm
Why did you choose an iPhone?
First smartphone available.
I'm pretty sure it wasnt, the first smartphone was a nokia communicator and the term was used even a decade earlier. Apple got a device that was really close to today's smartphones but it wasnt "a phone" in the first place.

Apart from that majority of why people tend to choose Apple at that cost is the brand itself, then the part someone prefers easier to use system and for the US there always was an easier way of getting multiple apple products in a household and great connectivity and syncing between them, cloud, music etc. Apple usually had noticably weaker hardware but the OS was so well optimized it always ran smoother. And the display used to be way superior to android devices.
Many of those are years gone but people still jump onto their devices thinking it didn't change.

Part of the choice apart from brand/status is also a general view on Apple. The company are probably the greatest marketers ever. Many of the designs and functionalities were taken from other devices throughout the history yet they act as they are the inventors and the buyers believe it. Part this with innovative design, easy way to use the device and historically premium hardware features and people jump on the deal hard.
The brand/status thing made it become a trend and now great many customers tend to go for the newest model at premium price.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am

engineerahead wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm
MrBeaver wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 pm
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm
Why did you choose an iPhone?
First smartphone available.
I'm pretty sure it wasnt, the first smartphone was a nokia communicator and the term was used even a decade earlier. Apple got a device that was really close to today's smartphones but it wasnt "a phone" in the first place.

Apart from that majority of why people tend to choose Apple at that cost is the brand itself, then the part someone prefers easier to use system and for the US there always was an easier way of getting multiple apple products in a household and great connectivity and syncing between them, cloud, music etc. Apple usually had noticably weaker hardware but the OS was so well optimized it always ran smoother. And the display used to be way superior to android devices.
Many of those are years gone but people still jump onto their devices thinking it didn't change.

Part of the choice apart from brand/status is also a general view on Apple. The company are probably the greatest marketers ever. Many of the designs and functionalities were taken from other devices throughout the history yet they act as they are the inventors and the buyers believe it. Part this with innovative design, easy way to use the device and historically premium hardware features and people jump on the deal hard.
The brand/status thing made it become a trend and now great many customers tend to go for the newest model at premium price.
I don't get your last paragraph. Why do you think that Apple pretends (could you give an example) they invent everything and "buyers believe it?" Personally, I don't care who came up with the initial idea for a feature in a product I buy, as long as I get the feature (if I did care, I'd say a little homage to Stanford Research Center every time I used a mouse on my computer). In fact, even though I'm a "techie" I rarely spend much time thinking about who invented what in the computer products I buy.

I agree Apple has a very strong brand (probably not the best marketers ever, but very good), but per the many posts in this thread a lot of tech-savvy folks buy them.

engineerahead
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by engineerahead » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am


I don't get your last paragraph. Why do you think that Apple pretends (could you give an example) they invent everything and "buyers believe it?" Personally, I don't care who came up with the initial idea for a feature in a product I buy, as long as I get the feature (if I did care, I'd say a little homage to Stanford Research Center every time I used a mouse on my computer). In fact, even though I'm a "techie" I rarely spend much time thinking about who invented what in the computer products I buy.

I agree Apple has a very strong brand (probably not the best marketers ever, but very good), but per the many posts in this thread a lot of tech-savvy folks buy them.
I'm sorry I cannot find the analysis I had in mind when writing this, i'll be sure to edit update as I find it again - it was a list over the years of claims of technology/hardware/features Apple has claimed they were first to invent/implement with proof of models that had specific feature earlier and when exactly. Those were some of the time attempted to be claimed by Apple via disputes and lawsuits etc.

I'm a techie as well and don't really research the history of the product most of the time, this is something I just recalled when stumbled upon this thread. The last paragraph you mention is kind of a nod to their excellent marketing because some of the features are now stapled as iPhone tech in minds of most people and the great reputation they built lasts even though they aren't the same as before (If I recall correctly Apple used to be tech company with reliable user friendly product for competitive price, now they are more of a status brand with luxury prices but still keep the old reputation by momentum) . Same goes for the iOS being the fastest OS still , which isn't true for a while, them having the best camera, them having the best screens etc.
I just wanted to say they are a brilliant company with superb marketing, easy to choose and recognize line of products and great connectivity between them, but whenever you poke around a bit you also find clunkiness and possibly better alternatives. But the product line works as a whole and interests both people who are after modern designer thing and also people who are after simplicity, ease of use and years long reputation.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:01 pm

engineerahead wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am


I don't get your last paragraph. Why do you think that Apple pretends (could you give an example) they invent everything and "buyers believe it?" Personally, I don't care who came up with the initial idea for a feature in a product I buy, as long as I get the feature (if I did care, I'd say a little homage to Stanford Research Center every time I used a mouse on my computer). In fact, even though I'm a "techie" I rarely spend much time thinking about who invented what in the computer products I buy.

I agree Apple has a very strong brand (probably not the best marketers ever, but very good), but per the many posts in this thread a lot of tech-savvy folks buy them.
I'm sorry I cannot find the analysis I had in mind when writing this, i'll be sure to edit update as I find it again - it was a list over the years of claims of technology/hardware/features Apple has claimed they were first to invent/implement with proof of models that had specific feature earlier and when exactly. Those were some of the time attempted to be claimed by Apple via disputes and lawsuits etc.

I'm a techie as well and don't really research the history of the product most of the time, this is something I just recalled when stumbled upon this thread. The last paragraph you mention is kind of a nod to their excellent marketing because some of the features are now stapled as iPhone tech in minds of most people and the great reputation they built lasts even though they aren't the same as before (If I recall correctly Apple used to be tech company with reliable user friendly product for competitive price, now they are more of a status brand with luxury prices but still keep the old reputation by momentum) . Same goes for the iOS being the fastest OS still , which isn't true for a while, them having the best camera, them having the best screens etc.
I just wanted to say they are a brilliant company with superb marketing, easy to choose and recognize line of products and great connectivity between them, but whenever you poke around a bit you also find clunkiness and possibly better alternatives. But the product line works as a whole and interests both people who are after modern designer thing and also people who are after simplicity, ease of use and years long reputation.
I don't think people buy iphones because they think apple invented a bunch of stuff. I think they buy them because of the brand reputation, the apple ecosystem, and the fact the phones work well (I think this because I've just never heard somebody say "I bought an iphone because apple invented/pioneered/only vendor with/ feature X).

But that is only my opinion. I haven't seen any sort of in-depth survey on why customers say they buy them, though I'm sure such survey data exists.

mak1277
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by mak1277 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:29 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm
The reason why I use Android is because "it just works" and yet that is the reason why people use iPhones which is why this is perplexing to me.
Why is this perplexing? Isn't it possible (likely, even) that both systems "just work", and people just keep using the system they started with because it works? Inertia is a strong force. For me, I have no complaints about the two iPhones I have had. I first got an iPad, which I loved, and eventually got an iPhone also.

Is it possible that I'd like Android even better? Yes, it's possible. But I know I like Apple stuff well enough that I have no reason to switch.

User avatar
Cosmo
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Cosmo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:42 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm
It seems to be that there are a lot of iPhone related threads in recent history here on BogleHeads asking about advice on upgrading, features, etc. I am absolutely shocked at the market penetration that the iPhone has gained over the last 5 years and the insanity (IMHO) about "apple fans" that will shell out $1000+ every time a new iPhone comes out every year that have the exact same functionality as the iPhone they intend to replace. All I can see from the outside is a simple iteration of the exact same product from 5+ years ago with a slightly faster CPU, slightly more RAM, slightly more disk space, slightly better camera, etc. Atleast for the past 5 years they all use the latest iOS so there isn't any difference except in what I would consider completely unnecessary upgrades that the very large majority of iPhone buyers will never fully utilize (ie: their current iPhone will complete most tasks in the same way and timeframe as tasks they complete in the latest $1000+ iPhone).

Why? Why? Why??

From the outside what I see are:
It has a single button.
The back button in most (if not all?) applications is in the top left which is incredibly difficult to get to with one hand.
It doesn't have an audio jack unless you want to pack a set of additional wires to use which are proprietary and expensive.
The operating system is proprietary. Apple implies security, privacy and safety but there is no guarantee that they provide those items.
The operating system, in my opinion, is extremely limiting to the end user (no customization).
Last I checked it doesn't even have a file browser. When you download a PDF to read you have to find it within the PDF viewer. You can't reogranize files and folders how YOU want them because Apple knows best.
Proprietary, proprietary, proprietary.

Some people I've spoken with said the simple reason they chose iPhone is because "it just works". I've even seen engineers who are in the tech industry absolutely LOVE their iPhone even though it has nearly zero customization or power user tools found in Android.

For this thread to be actionable, I am looking at changing wireless service providers and they offer huge discounts on the latest Android and iPhone and so I am genuinely interested in what people see in the iPhone. I've always used Android primarily with free and open source software, and although I hate Google more than most big organizations, atleast they are honest in their attempt in gathering all of your data for their own purposes whereas Apple takes a stance that they don't yet everything that they do is proprietary.

Why did you choose an iPhone?
How often do you upgrade?
Why did you upgrade?
Have you ever used an Android OS based device, and if so, what do you like more about iOS versus that of Android?
Because they just work!

stoptothink
Posts: 6791
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by stoptothink » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:28 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am
I agree Apple has a very strong brand (probably not the best marketers ever, but very good), but per the many posts in this thread a lot of tech-savvy folks buy them.
Apple, Nike, and Costco...who has a stronger brand than those 3?

Copper John
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by Copper John » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:25 pm

Why did you choose an iPhone?

1. I was an Android user for years. I would buy an Android model that was 2-3 years older than the newest model and try to get 3-4 years out of that phone. I would also use a MVNO and not use the the big carriers. I came to realize I was often using phones that were unable to get the latest Android OS with this method of buying phones and picking providers. The MVNOs were not providing over the air OS updates and when I would go directly to the phone manufacturer (Samsung most often) the OS would not update on my older phones. This has not been an issue for me since I moved over to Apple. The hardware and software are being made by the same company and I am able to get frequent OS updates on my older phones. (6S currently able to get IOS13).

2. No comparison on support. Have Apple Store in my city of residence and Apple Care via phone. Support is U.S. based and excellent. Night and day difference when trying to get Android support.


How often do you upgrade?


About every 3-4 years. Will generally keep my phone until it is no longer getting the latest OS updates. I update to get the security features.

Why did you upgrade?

I update to get the security features and to make sure my key apps are still able to function. Just updated my iPad from the original iPad Air to latest regular iPad. This only done because IPAD IOS would not be available for my IPad Air. This change also bumped up my RAM from 1-3 GB which greatly increased performance.


Have you ever used an Android OS based device, and if so, what do you like more about iOS versus that of Android?


Yes. I miss seeing the voice mail icon or silence function icon that displayed on the top of home screen on my Android phone. Made it much easier to know when I had silenced my phone or had a VM.

Apple IOS - things just work. Love air drop and I really liking the slide keyboard on the new IOS 13. Previously used the Google slide/swype keyboard and this just works much better for me. Whether it is Mac with MacOS or my IOS devices I am not afraid to update the IOS. Every major Windows update would never work smoothly with my devices and I would find myself spending hours searching the net for work arounds to get my new update to work. That has never happened to me on my iMac, iPad or iPhone.

02nz
Posts: 3009
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by 02nz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:46 pm

I've used both. The advantages/disadvantages used to be more clear-cut; now the two have largely caught up in the areas where they lagged the other, at least in terms of software.

Hardware is a different story. Apple's phone chips are quite a bit ahead of their Android competitors - competitive even with many PC chips. Most users won't notice a difference in daily use, but this is also one reason Apple is able to provide software updates for so long. It's amazing to me, for example, that Apple's iPhone 6S, released 4 years ago (the oldest iPhone still receiving iOS updates), is still competitive in performance with today's midrange Android phones.

At the end of the day, use whatever you like better.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:55 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:28 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am
I agree Apple has a very strong brand (probably not the best marketers ever, but very good), but per the many posts in this thread a lot of tech-savvy folks buy them.
Apple, Nike, and Costco...who has a stronger brand than those 3?
Well, that's pretty subjective depending upon your interests. By strong I assume you mean both 1) ubiquitous and 2) overall positive perception of the company.

I wouldn't have Costco on that list, though I love Costco, because its not as "everywhere you look" as your other choices. Apple would be pretty high up there I grant you.

Maybe Nike though I perceive Nike as weaker than they used to be; I'd view Nike the way some of the posters here view Apple ... overpriced for what you get :D. But I don't personally "like" Nike as much as I used to, back when Jordan was playing for example. I think their star has fallen a bit.

For car lovers, BMW certainly gets itself a lot of attention. For car owners who like appliances, Toyota has a huge following.

People who care about privacy worry a lot about Google, but people use it all the time. Same for Facebook. With that many users (literally billions), obviously there is some attraction -- the brands are very very strong in terms of recognition and usage.

And of course, among BHers, who has a stronger brand than Vanguard ....

engineerahead
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 pm

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by engineerahead » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:22 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:01 pm

I don't think people buy iphones because they think apple invented a bunch of stuff. I think they buy them because of the brand reputation, the apple ecosystem, and the fact the phones work well (I think this because I've just never heard somebody say "I bought an iphone because apple invented/pioneered/only vendor with/ feature X).

But that is only my opinion. I haven't seen any sort of in-depth survey on why customers say they buy them, though I'm sure such survey data exists.
Yeah it seems you grasped the part out of context, not everything in the post was meant to be "why did you pick iphone" but also "why so many iphones". I wrote the paragraph mentioning them being the first to implement breakthrough tech only as a part of the point "general good view on Apple" which consists of many smaller ones.
The reasons why people pick iPhones are IMO: easy to use, great connectivity across the ecosystem, clear product line, innovative, but also things like status brand and momentum from the past (the way Apple used to be cheaper reliable alternative and now is more luxury brand whilst keeping only some of the former aspects) which also spans across the part where "Apple has the best X feature/technology/whatever.

Of course this is only my opinion too.

Post Reply