Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
22twain

Re: Why so many iPhones??? Why did you pick it? Why do you upgrade it?

Post by 22twain » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:42 am

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm
Why did you choose an iPhone?
When I bought my first smartphone four years ago, I went with an iPhone because because it plays nicely with our other devices. I've used Macs since the late 1980s. We also have an iPad and an Apple TV.
How often do you upgrade?
Why did you upgrade?
I upgraded my original 5S to an XR last month because the new iOS 13 doesn't support the 5S, and the XR dropped in price when this year's new models came out. I'll probably keep the XR until a new iOS doesn't support it, probably 4-5 years.
Have you ever used an Android OS based device
No.
Last edited by 22twain on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:00 am

We transitioned from Apple iPhone to Google Pixel.

Pixels have the pure version of Google's Android. Zero issues.
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 am

Back in the contract days, I would upgrade thru the carrier every 2 years and get the newest iPhone for ~$200. Then, turn around and sell my old iPhone on Craigslist for $150 which normally only took a day.

The game is now financing phones/purchasing outright without a contract and slowed my upgrade frequency.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:03 am

LoveTheBogle wrote:
It seems to be that there are a lot of iPhone related threads in recent history here on BogleHeads asking about advice on upgrading, features, etc. I am absolutely shocked at the market penetration that the iPhone has gained over the last 5 years and the insanity (IMHO) about "apple fans" that will shell out $1000+ every time a new iPhone comes out every year that have the exact same functionality as the iPhone they intend to replace. All I can see from the outside is a simple iteration of the exact same product from 5+ years ago with a slightly faster CPU, slightly more RAM, slightly more disk space, slightly better camera, etc. Atleast for the past 5 years they all use the latest iOS so there isn't any difference except in what I would consider completely unnecessary upgrades that the very large majority of iPhone buyers will never fully utilize (ie: their current iPhone will complete most tasks in the same way and timeframe as tasks they complete in the latest $1000+ iPhone).

Why? Why? Why??

From the outside what I see are:
It has a single button.
The back button in most (if not all?) applications is in the top left which is incredibly difficult to get to with one hand.
It doesn't have an audio jack unless you want to pack a set of additional wires to use which are proprietary and expensive.
The operating system is proprietary. Apple implies security, privacy and safety but there is no guarantee that they provide those items.
The operating system, in my opinion, is extremely limiting to the end user (no customization).
Last I checked it doesn't even have a file browser. When you download a PDF to read you have to find it within the PDF viewer. You can't reogranize files and folders how YOU want them because Apple knows best.
Proprietary, proprietary, proprietary.

Some people I've spoken with said the simple reason they chose iPhone is because "it just works". I've even seen engineers who are in the tech industry absolutely LOVE their iPhone even though it has nearly zero customization or power user tools found in Android.

For this thread to be actionable, I am looking at changing wireless service providers and they offer huge discounts on the latest Android and iPhone and so I am genuinely interested in what people see in the iPhone. I've always used Android primarily with free and open source software, and although I hate Google more than most big organizations, atleast they are honest in their attempt in gathering all of your data for their own purposes whereas Apple takes a stance that they don't yet everything that they do is proprietary.

Why did you upgrade?
Have you ever used an Android OS based device, and if so, what do you like more about iOS versus that of Android?
We are happy with the apple ecosystem and that's a big reason. I also think the Apple hardware is generally high quality. We buy every three or four years (the comment about apple fans buying $1,000 phones every year is a strawman argument; a few people do that, I doubt most do. In fact, Apple's support for older hardware is one reason I like them.)

The OS is proprietary, but that doesn't bother me. I use the phone for calling, texting, maps, news apps, reading email, sometimes listening to music, very infrequently game playing. My phone is not the center of my computing world, as it is for many people. I haven't found a good reason to do a lot of customization on my phone, or for "power tools." I agree that the file browsing has been a pain (it is slowly getting better).

I think that apple is better about privacy (google is obviously anti-privacy), and Apple's relatively tight management of the app store makes it harder for malicious apps to get onto your phone.

The whole proprietary rant always cracks me up. It's like the Mac versus windows versus Linux debates. Proprietary doesn't mean bad, open source doesn't mean good. There are tradeoffs.

If you don't like iphones, get an android phone.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:20 am

LoveTheBogle wrote:

For this thread to be actionable, I am looking at changing wireless service providers and they offer huge discounts on the latest Android and iPhone and so I am genuinely interested in what people see in the iPhone. I've always used Android primarily with free and open source software, and although I hate Google more than most big organizations, atleast they are honest in their attempt in gathering all of your data for their own purposes whereas Apple takes a stance that they don't yet everything that they do is proprietary.

Apple products just work. They are more reliable and built better which makes them more long lived than other smart phones. I have everything else from apple (iPads, laptops, desktops) and its just easier better to be in one ecosystem.

Until they stop working :) Its either because they become slow due to updated OS or battery starts discharging rapidly. I think ~3-4 years is the norm.
Why did you upgrade?
/quote]
See above.

Have you ever used an Android OS based device, and if so, what do you like more about iOS versus that of Android?
Nope, never. I also want to say that I think my privacy is better protected by Apple than by Android.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 am
baconavocado wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem? In mine, it's the women in my life. My wife gets a million texts a day and she's constantly in touch with her mother and female friends and relatives. And, at least in my experience, women do not like to fix things, they just want stuff to work. On the rare occasions when it doesn't work, they take it to the Apple store which is in . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . a shopping mall!

I've also noticed that many of the male contractors I encounter use iphones. These are guys who fix things for a living, but I don't think they are that techy in the computer-ish sense of the word, and they absolutely rely on their phones and need them to work easily and flawlessly.

I'm an android guy myself.
So true, most of iPhone users 85% are almost always completely not tech savvy. Think of a population of 65+ yo who can't use their computer well and swear off Windows OS.

Also, they repeat the same phrase over and over, "better security". Bla bla bla. It's like a sheep parroting non sense over and over. You haven't seen anyone here got hacked or it'll be all over the forum. You know anyone is affected? loool... I haven't gotten a single hack over what? probably 10 years of using Android OS now even if I use an outdated OS (4 years on Marshmallow).

Here, I am now with Android 10 enjoying a way more advanced OS compared to iOS.
Most android phone users are not tech-savvy either. Few people, old or young, are truly tech-savvy even though they might be quite comfortable using computers of all types. My background is software engineering. The fact that someone is adroit at games or can text quickly does not make them tech-savvy.

I like the apple ecosystem and thus stick with iphones and macs. What I don't want to do at this point in my life is spend much time tweaking the OS on my devices. Nor do I care that much about what the OS can do .... I'm usually on a computing device to use some app. It's how the app works that interests me. If the OS and hardware can support the app I need, I'm happy.

Interesting generalization from baconavocado on how women don't like to fix things...

Actually, this guy doesn't like to fix things either. I'd rather go play golf or do something fun than customize my computing devices, most of the time. But if you like to play with stuff like that, cool.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 am

bpp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:57 am
—Text editing in particular is needlessly difficult. Why are there no arrow keys on the keyboard??
The whole iOS keyboard is basically a trackpad if you press down. I think it's a fantastic implementation. (I think on the newest phones without the 3D Touch sensor, you hold the space bar and then slide the cursor around.)
bpp wrote:
—Switching languages on the keyboard is an inconsistent mess.
I don't find this too bad, and I juggle several languages. A tap switches back and forth between the two most recently used. A press and hold pops up the full list.

In theory iOS has multi-lingual auto-correct, but it too strongly prioritizes the chosen keyboard language. But it does help a bit when using multiple languages that use the Latin alphabet. It seems to learn words that you use frequently across languages. I do wish it would do be better auto-detection after a few words.

What I really want is multilingual Siri. iOS can now auto-detect language for dictation, but it can't do it for Siri. I have to lock Siri to English, French, or Spanish, and then I cannot dictate or give commands in the others. Siri can't even understand song and artist titles in the wrong language (e.g. "Hey Siri, play Corbeau by Coeur de Pirate" yields unpredictable results). If iOS can auto-detect language for dictation, it should be able to do so using Siri. I should be able to use French Siri to dictate a message in English to my wife followed a message in Spanish to our older son (or our younger son if I want to annoy him). As it is, I have to keep Siri set to English so that I can send texts to my wife while driving.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:03 am

Privacy.

I simply trust apple more than google. Apple is far from perfect but they are using my data to a lesser degree than google.

iMessage. Most of the people I know with 2-3 exceptions use iPhones. Since imessage and FaceTime video and audio is encrypted end to end, it’s more secure.

I do not upgrade every year, I keep my phones 2-3 years. I usually upgrade when there’s a good enough deal on the new iPhone that I could sell my old one and not be out of pocket too much. The iPhone camera has evolved quite a bit over the years and if someone were into photography that would probably be a huge reason to get a new one each year but that’s not important to me

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:39 am

And yet, it's stories this this one which lead me to chuckle:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/17/sa ... ngerprint/

It not an atypical story when it comes to Android or Samsung. And not that Apple is faultless either, mind you. :wink:

I'm an independent when it somes to technology - Windows for my computing needs, Apple for my phone, and my jack-of-all-trades device is an Android tablet that only ever got KitKat, but has a SD card (which Apple would never do) which I've upgraded lately from 64gb (paid $30 for in 2015?) to 128gb for a very reasonable $16.

I'm happy.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am

I have owned an IPhone 4, first iPhone available on Verizon. Traded it in for $400 credit towards and iPhone 6 and traded that in for a $650 credit towards an iPhone 7 Plus. I was going to trade it in for the IPhone 11 Pro Max, but was only offered between $150-$200 trade in. Therefor I am going to wait until I get extra money from my new side hustle, or until the IPhone 12 comes out with 5G capable.

Reasons for iPhone, only having to have one phone, instead of a phone plus an ipod. How do you get music from iTunes onto an android phone? Also like you said the main reason, IT JUST WORKS, my parents have bought androids as they were sold on it being better, and they cant figure out how to use the phones. So I couldn't care less if the technology or customization is better if I cant figure it out or have to learn how to use it.

So main reasons, IT JUST WORKS, ease of use, and familiarity with product/brand. and yes these small upgrades may not seem like much, but if you wait every 3-5 years to upgrade it is a big upgrade.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 am

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Why did you upgrade?
1. Choose
a. I have been coding for over 54 years. I don't need/want to code my phone.
b. We own two iMacs, 2 iPads, 1 Apple watch, 2 iPhones, and 3 Apple TVs.
c. I use to buy what Steve told me to buy, but now I let Tim tell me what to buy. Neither ever recommended Android.

2. Upgrade
a. Wife: about every 2.1 years. Latest and great (i.e., most expensive) as she uses her phone a lot. Has 100+ apps.
b. Me: about every 3.5 years. I have 13 apps I use often.

3. Why
a. Wife: Loves shiny new. (we can afford it)
b. Me: I really like my iPhone SE, but plan to get an iPhone 11 Pro in December (for the camera).

4. Android
Don't silly. Why would I use a proprietary operating system from a company that makes money spying on me?

Drengr

Post by Drengr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:33 am

First smartphone on the market. Huge majority of my close contacts and work phones use iphones and it was annoying to plan to switch to Android.

Every 3 years on average

Why did you upgrade?
Usually because I notice significant delays in performance or major feature upgrades in newer models

Yes. I liked Android on a Samsung Galaxy S8 a lot as well.
However I prefer the iphone 7. It has simple, easy to use interface. Familiarity with the platform. iMessage and the ability to text my contact groups seemlessly is a huge hindrance to switching to Android

GT99

Post by GT99 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:14 pm

I'm an Android user, DW is an iPhone user. Here is how I would compare them:
1. Capabilities (what can you do with it) - No real differentiation. 98% of what you can do on one, you can do on the either. And that 2% is mostly highly specialized stuff that most users don't use.
2. User experience - I do personally prefer Android here (I like the consistent native buttons), but I think whichever you use first is going to be your preference. Again, no notable differentiation IMO.
3. "Customizability" - Android has a big advantage here, BUT I don't think 95% of users take much advantage of this anyway.
4. "Flakiness" - I'm defining flakiness as unexpected behaviors (like freezes), often requiring a reboot. Up until my current phone, this was the biggest differentiator I saw - my phones have always had orders of magnitude more flakiness than my wife's phones, especially after the first 6 months or so. My current phone is a Galaxy S8+ and it does not have anywhere near the flakiness I experienced with prior phones (LG G3, Galaxy S3, HTC Thunderbolt, original Motorola Droid).
5. Build Quality and longevity - iPhone wins big here against most Android phones. My Galaxy S8 is the first I've had make it to 2 years before dying (still going strong at 2.5 yrs).
6. Price - Android has many more cheap options.

Personally, I have no interest in moving to the Apple ecosystem. And I'm quite sure if I'd started in the Apple ecosystem, I wouldn't be interested in changing. For all the debates over who is best, I don't think there's that much true differentiation.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:37 pm

GT99 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:14 pm
I'm an Android user, DW is an iPhone user. Here is how I would compare them:
1. Capabilities (what can you do with it) - No real differentiation. 98% of what you can do on one, you can do on the either. And that 2% is mostly highly specialized stuff that most users don't use.
2. User experience - I do personally prefer Android here (I like the consistent native buttons), but I think whichever you use first is going to be your preference. Again, no notable differentiation IMO.
3. "Customizability" - Android has a big advantage here, BUT I don't think 95% of users take much advantage of this anyway.
4. "Flakiness" - I'm defining flakiness as unexpected behaviors (like freezes), often requiring a reboot. Up until my current phone, this was the biggest differentiator I saw - my phones have always had orders of magnitude more flakiness than my wife's phones, especially after the first 6 months or so. My current phone is a Galaxy S8+ and it does not have anywhere near the flakiness I experienced with prior phones (LG G3, Galaxy S3, HTC Thunderbolt, original Motorola Droid).
5. Build Quality and longevity - iPhone wins big here against most Android phones. My Galaxy S8 is the first I've had make it to 2 years before dying (still going strong at 2.5 yrs).
6. Price - Android has many more cheap options.

Personally, I have no interest in moving to the Apple ecosystem. And I'm quite sure if I'd started in the Apple ecosystem, I wouldn't be interested in changing. For all the debates over who is best, I don't think there's that much true differentiation.
I like your balanced post.

For OP, I'm not a tech person, I'm just pretty much a typical normal person in life. I've often wondered why there seems to be such a following for apple products when for a typical average person "how much does it really matter apple vs. the alternative? As an example, last xmas I had a teenage nephew who was getting his 1st iphone (it was a $1000 phone per his parent) and he seemed rather peer pressured obsessed that one must have an iphone. Apparently, all the cool kids only had iphones. I said "wow that's alot of money for a phone" and asked an honest question that I did not know the answer: "What makes that phone so much more valuable over a less expensive iphone? Is there something I can't do with my much less expensive android phone? He did not seem to have an answer. Again, these were just honest questions I wondered about.

OP, I'll answer your question in the opposite sense. I did not buy an iphone because I could find a vastly less expensive android phone that seems to be able to text message, take pictures, get on the internet, and seems to run every application that I have a need for via this less expensive phone, and it can actually make a phone call on occasion. Additionally, the sports and life activities I do seems to commonly end up with me breaking the screen on a regular basis and I also don't like having to tote along a large phone (no matter what operating system).

I also bought a tablet that is android (Samsung), it was $125 a year ago at Costco. It was vastly less expensive than an apple product. It also seems to run every program that I need for a typical average person in life.

I'm not against apple products. I do suspect there are honestly some pro's to them, as well as some cons to them. I do think they have done a much better marketing job of making it seem to the average person, especially younger ones, that is superior to own an apple product.

What is important to me is that I make the most of my hard earned money in life. I'll buy something if it's more expensive it I feel it objectively and truly has an advantage in my situation over a lesser priced product. It's no different at all levels, starting at the supermarket when I compare a generic product to a brand product, does the more expensive product truly provide a better product. If it does in my situation I'll spend the extra money, if it doesn't then I won't. But then again, I'm probably not as influenced as most by marketing.

Edit: I also have a teenager that recently upgraded his gaming laptop to an gaming desktop that he built up. We (parents) did not have any influence on what computer/operating system he should be looking at to "get the job done." FWIW, he didn't choose an Apple computer to maximize his gaming pleasure. But perhaps he was also just looking at what provided the best value to get the job done.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Not really an Apple fan, I use Android, I can get any phone I want for free from work with an unlimited plan. My kids, on the other hand, I bought my kids Androids when they were young, that didn't last long. In Elementary school, they get Apple iPads, and in Middle/High School, they get both iPads and MacBook Pros provided by the school to use throughout the year. All their friends use Facetime, only on Apple. So Facetime, and school device integration means they can only effectively use iPhones. It's really sad.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Daughter got one and convinced us it was much better than her previous Android and my flip phone. I checked hers out and loved the software, look and functions. Back then phones came with a cellular plan, so jumped on board with an upgrade. We had already been using Apple computers since 1985, and it seemed like a logical step to sync all devices.
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Every 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 years up to this point.
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Why did you upgrade?
Because we can? Consumerism leads to individual choice, and we chose.

Last upgrade (last year) was from the 6s to the XsMax as the 6s had diminishing battery life as the software grew and demanded more from the phone. Much better camera, screen size, speakers, video, battery life, etc... .
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Other family members had Androids (daughter and wife) and I fiddled with them. Son and I were flip phone hold outs until we got our first iPhones. No turning back now - and no reason to even consider it.

I guess if you are looking for some entertainment, you could walk by an Apple Store or go in one and yell "Android". :shock:
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Ekhanomist

Post by Ekhanomist » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Why did you upgrade?

My last upgrade was because Apple's iOS update broke the phone. I had the "greyed out speaker" issue, caused by an iOS update, that destroyed the phone's ability to make or receive calls. And Apple refused to do anything about it, even though my phone was only 1.5 years old. [When the problem initially started, Apple was replacing phones for free--when they realized how widespread the problem was, they stopped helping]

But guess what? I turned in my broken phone and bought the XS Max for $1,100. Because even though Apple treats us like garbage and sells overpriced phones, it's hard to change. But this experience has left a really bad taste in my mouth and I don't feel like I got my money's worth with the XS Max, so I think this may end up being my last iPhone.

yohac

Post by yohac » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:17 pm

I use Android myself, because I'm cheap. But if DW said she wanted an iPhone, I wouldn't try to stop her. Like others have said, an iPhone is very likely to work well overall. You have to do more research with Android phones. Seems like so many are prone to glitchy problems like boot loops, poor speaker, weak antenna, stuck buttons, mysterious screen cracks, etc.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:26 pm

I've always been a Windows person so I was not happy when I realized that the best replacement for my Palm PDA was an Apple iPod Touch. So I bought $15K of Apple stock at that time. I figured any gains would pay for any stupid Apple products I had to buy. At $54K today, my Apple stock has easily covered the cost of any and all Windows laptops, iPads, iPod Touches, and iPhones for both me and my husband in the 8 years since I bought my Apple stock. Along with paying for internet access and cell phone coverage.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

missingdonut

Post by missingdonut » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:41 pm

At first, I resisted Apple products. I had a Microsoft Zune MP3 player, which to me was the perfect piece of hardware and it provided many years of entertainment. I bought an Android tablet, and got my first smartphone: a Samsung Android only one model from the newest at the time. I liked it fine, but what bugged me the most was that OS upgrades were painfully slow, because Samsung had to customize their overlay software, and then my carrier had to do their customization as well. And I assumed that every year that went by, the OS upgrades would get more and more delayed, which just seemed unacceptable to me given the security vulnerabilities out there. Maybe if the Pixel were out back then, I might have been willing to stay in the Android ecosystem.

My second phone was the iPhone 6S. I kept it until I got my new 11; I would have kept my phone another year until updates are stopped, except that I was having problems with the silence switch and the battery life was starting to get annoying. And I guess I wanted to reward myself for surviving this summer at work. I'm certainly not planning to upgrade my phone for several years, though.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:54 pm

I've had 4 brand new iPhones over the last 10 years, and paid a total of roughly $1000 for the experience. $100 per year on phone hardware is a pretty cheap price. I'm sure I can find $100 of complete waste in everyone's spending habits over the course of a year.

The few people I know with Androids are generally struggling with OS upgrades or are the kind of people who walk around for 2 years with a broken screen.

bo105954027

Post by bo105954027 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:02 pm

1. You don't have to buy a $1000+ latest iPhone. The currently $450 iPhone 8 is perfect in every aspect already, and it can easily last another 2 or 3 years.
2. iOS is safer, easier, faster, more stable, looks better than other mobile OS.
3. Brand loyalty and superiority.
Time in market beats timing the market.

shans2000

Post by shans2000 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Your questions are exactly the same questions I had about 6 years ago. I only used Android phones up until that time and wondered why so many use iPhone. After one of the Android updates rendered several apps in my phone buggy/useless, I took the plunge and got an iPhone. Now, I am hooked and plan to stay with iPhone. I don't have anything to add other than what's already been said in previous posts, but iPhone is simply better and worth the extra price. You just have to start using it to get it, comparing them on paper is not going to help you understand. Get an iPhone, you won't regret it.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:18 pm

I find the quality of apple products to be quite good. And whenever I’ve had a problem with mine (rarely) apple is quick to fix usually free of charge.
I have owned android devices, which have been fine and inexpensive, I just don’t like them as much.

spae

Post by spae » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Until a few years ago, iPhones had the best cameras you could get on smartphones. Since then, iPhones are simply faster. Every year, my friends at Google tell me how amazing the new Pixel phone is and I try it and it's slower than a multiple year old iPhone. To check that this isn't my imagination, I always run benchmarks and the Pixel is always slower. Qualcomm is catching up and this may change in a few years. If this changes and Android phones continue to have cameras that are in the same league as iPhone cameras, I might switch.

The security and continued updates is a nice bonus. I used an Android phone for a while after getting one free from an employer. Even though it was their flagship model, it got updates for less than half a year and the updates that it got were months late. I like to keep my phone for 3 years or more and I don't want to have to buy a new phone to get updates. Google's Pixel barely got three years of updates if you bought one the moment it was released. The people I know who own those don't mind because they're on annual or bi-annual upgrade cycles, but that's not for me.

I upgrade if there's a big enough performance improvement or a major feature I want. It looks like the next iPhone will have 5G and Qualcomm isn't on track to produce a competitive mobile chip by then so it will probably be an iPhone for me next year.
baconavocado wrote:
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy
When I look around at my tech friends, outside of Google, almost everyone uses an iPhone. Looking around the room I'm in, a mix of distributerd systems and operating systems experts, fewer than 10% of people are on Android. The people who are mostly carry a grudge against Apple that goes back for decades. Among Google employees I know, it's about 50/50.
Last edited by spae on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Staying the Course

Post by Staying the Course » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:25 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 pm
I say tomato, you say to-maaah-to. I've never been able to convince an Apple fan to switch regardless of the specs on paper. They are hardcore fans.
(Disclosure: I love my Mac and will likely never go back to a PC, but I'd never get an Apple phone or Apple watch)
I’m not sure which phone specs you’re talking about, but it must not be CPU performance, because Apple’s silicon is literally years ahead of the competition.

All else being equal, I would still choose Apple products for the software (I could live with Android if I had to, but it’s not even close on the desktop). However it happens that, most of the time, they also make the best hardware.

spae

Post by spae » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Staying the Course wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:25 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 pm
I've never been able to convince an Apple fan to switch regardless of the specs on paper. They are hardcore fans.
I’m not sure which phone specs you’re talking about, but it must not be CPU performance, because Apple’s silicon is literally years ahead of the competition.

All else being equal, I would still choose Apple products for the software (I could live with Android if I had to, but it’s not even close on the desktop). However it happens that, most of the time, they also make the best hardware.
People who are my age may remember the PPC era, when Apple machines were far behind on performance. Towards the end, they were further behind on performance than iPhones are ahead by now even though Apple was charging a hefty premium for their products. Apple ran advertisements claiming that they were actually much faster and Apple fans ate it up. This doesn't apply to current hardware but the anti-Apple people I know who refuse to use Apple products often cite this kind of thing.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm

I think we're beginning to see the answer to the OP's original question. There are a lot of iphones because employers are paying for them and once people get locked into the Apple universe, they stay there.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm
I think we're beginning to see the answer to the OP's original question. There are a lot of iphones because employers are paying for them and once people get locked into the Apple universe, they stay there.
Why do you think employers are paying for them and not Android phones?

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:24 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm
baconavocado wrote:
Why do you think employers paying for them and not Android phones?
Maybe because they're easier to use and require less tech support? Because they were first in the market so their employees got used to them?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
Why? Why? Why??
Umm, why why why do you care?
LoveTheBogle wrote:
Why did you upgrade?
1. Because I like it.
2. About once every 5+ years. First was 3s, replaced by 5s and current is SE. Prior to Apple, had a palm treo and before that a simple nokia.
3. Old phone broke. New phone works and is faster.
4. Never owned one. Tried it a few times but I’m used to the apple setup and prefer it.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:47 pm

baconavocado wrote:
My employer never gave me a phone. I'll assert that most iphones (and android phones) are bought by the consumer, not provided by an employer. I'll cheerfully accept correction here, but I don't think business choices are the main driver of iphone adoption over the years.

Sure, IF your employer gives you an iphone, that might lead you down that path. I definitely agree that once people get into an ecosystem there is some resistance to switching.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Why would anyone want to have to “mess with anything” to make it work?
The greatest virtue a car can have is that it starts and gets me where I want to go -- every time.

The greatest virtue that a tool can have is that it works -- every time.

The greatest virtue that a gun can have is that is goes "bang" -- every time.

The greatest virtue that a smart phone can have is that it just plain works. That is why I use an iPhone.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:00 pm

LoveTheBogle wrote:
All I can see from the outside is a simple iteration of the exact same product from 5+ years ago with a slightly faster CPU, slightly more RAM, slightly more disk space, slightly better camera, etc. Atleast for the past 5 years they all use the latest iOS so there isn't any difference except in what I would consider completely unnecessary upgrades that the very large majority of iPhone buyers will never fully utilize (ie: their current iPhone will complete most tasks in the same way and timeframe as tasks they complete in the latest $1000+ iPhone).
To turn it around, does your 5 year old android phone run the newest Android build? Or is it 4 years out of date? Does the manufacturer still support it, for example offer battery replacements? If your phone case is damaged, does anyone still sell a phone case that will fit your 5 year old Android phone?

If you have a Nexus/Pixel phone, who do you go to for service? Google or the device manufacturer?

It seems like you've described exactly why the iPhone continues to be so popular. If you buy a new one, can you can be confident that it will be supported for 5+ years.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 pm

I have gone from android to iPhone, back to android, and quickly back to iPhone. iPhone just works. No lagging, bugs, slowing. A 3 year old iPhone works as buttery smooth as a brand new iPhone. No bloatware. I like the interface better. And simplicity.

I had issues sending slightly larger quality pics, or any videos from android to iPhone. iMessage takes care of that. A 2 min video comes out perfect iPhone to iPhone. Even short videos looked like they were taken through a kaleidoscope (android to iPhone)
Another reason - resale value. I can resell my iPhone for 70% of the msrp 2 years later while android I'd be lucky to get 40%.

Why do I upgrade -
Big improvements. I upgrade every 3 or 4 years. I went from 4s to 5s, 6+, 6s+, now XR

Finally - OP kept mentioning "$1,000 iPhone" when that's not always the case. I sold my 5s for $50 less than the cost of my 6+. My XR was $450 with trade in. The trade in was worth maybe $150 so lets say $600. Most flagships are $800-$1500 today. Not cheap but considering I can resell for $300 in a couple years, it's not a huge investment
Last edited by RobLyons on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Started with an iPhone 4 and never found the urge to switch. Most of my family and coworkers have switched to an iPhone.

I used to upgrade every two years until the 7. I'm still using it and don't plan to upgrade until the 2020 model is released. It still works well after swapping out the battery at 2 years.

bpp

Post by bpp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 am
bpp wrote:
—Text editing in particular is needlessly difficult. Why are there no arrow keys on the keyboard??
The whole iOS keyboard is basically a trackpad if you press down. I think it's a fantastic implementation. (I think on the newest phones without the 3D Touch sensor, you hold the space bar and then slide the cursor around.)
I know about that trick, but I find it clumsy and imprecise. And about half the time it doesn’t scroll beyond the current boundary.

Whereas arrow keys are precise and predictable, and intuitive. (The trackpad trick is not explained in any manual, and certainly not intuitive.) What’s most disappointing is that a few years ago iPhones apparently HAD arrow keys, and they were REMOVED! What a user-hostile thing to do!
bpp wrote:
—Switching languages on the keyboard is an inconsistent mess.
I don't find this too bad, and I juggle several languages. A tap switches back and forth between the two most recently used. A press and hold pops up the full list.

In theory iOS has multi-lingual auto-correct, but it too strongly prioritizes the chosen keyboard language. But it does help a bit when using multiple languages that use the Latin alphabet. It seems to learn words that you use frequently across languages. I do wish it would do be better auto-detection after a few words.

What I really want is multilingual Siri. iOS can now auto-detect language for dictation, but it can't do it for Siri. I have to lock Siri to English, French, or Spanish, and then I cannot dictate or give commands in the others. Siri can't even understand song and artist titles in the wrong language (e.g. "Hey Siri, play Corbeau by Coeur de Pirate" yields unpredictable results). If iOS can auto-detect language for dictation, it should be able to do so using Siri. I should be able to use French Siri to dictate a message in English to my wife followed a message in Spanish to our older son (or our younger son if I want to annoy him). As it is, I have to keep Siri set to English so that I can send texts to my wife while driving.
I find it not so easy with just Japanese and English. For one thing, the little “globe” icon for language-switching changes position depending on which language mode one is in. Not nice. Then the emoji keyboard likes to insert itself randomly in the keyboard list, so when you do hit the globe icon, you never know what you’re going to get — a problem I solved by disabling emojis. But this kind of unpredictability should not be the default operation mode. Again, needlessly user-unfriendly.

But, as I have said, I have learned to live with these annoyances for the sake of long-term support.

As for Siri, I find her useless, so turned her off. I have instead installed Google Assistant for when I want to use a voice-activated assistant.

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 pm
I just don’t get why people are so exasperated over what people spend, in the grand scheme of things, relatively modest amounts of money on.

I spent $3500 on my last mattress. I spend 1/3 of my life on it a mattress so I feel like I should drop some decent coin on making that purchase somewhat pleasurable. I keep a mattress average 10 years.
What kind of mattress did you buy for $3500? Was it recommended or were you able to try it before buying it?

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:15 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
I just don’t get why people are so exasperated over what people spend....
....This means I spend between on average $2,325/yr and $3,300/yr to make sure that 50%+ of my life is luxurious. I think this is rather cheap!
This is a really good way of looking at things. I like this thought process. Thanks for breaking it out.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

FlyingMoose

Post by FlyingMoose » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 pm

baconavocado wrote:
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem?
I have a degree in computer science and “mess with” computer stuff at work. I have an iPhone because I’m sick of dealing with shoddy software (such as Windows and Android) all day and want something that doesn’t feel like it will crash any second when I’m on my own time. The Android phones owned by friends and relatives have constant problems. Facebook, other apps, or the whole OS on my girlfriend’s Huiwei crash 20+ times a day but I can count the number of times my iPhone crashes per YEAR on one hand. I also like having a single expansive App Store that’s not loaded with hidden viruses like Google’s.

The state of computer science is like engineering was 150 years ago, when boilers would regularly explode and kill people, bridges would collapse, etc.

TL;DR iPhones are the worst smart phones, except for all the other ones.

RJC

Post by RJC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:13 am

FireSekr wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:03 am
Privacy.

I simply trust apple more than google. Apple is far from perfect but they are using my data to a lesser degree than google.

iMessage. Most of the people I know with 2-3 exceptions use iPhones. Since imessage and FaceTime video and audio is encrypted end to end, it’s more secure.

I do not upgrade every year, I keep my phones 2-3 years. I usually upgrade when there’s a good enough deal on the new iPhone that I could sell my old one and not be out of pocket too much. The iPhone camera has evolved quite a bit over the years and if someone were into photography that would probably be a huge reason to get a new one each year but that’s not important to me
+1 for privacy. Google platforms are well known to track your every move.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am

teniralc wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
I just don’t get why people are so exasperated over what people spend, in the grand scheme of things, relatively modest amounts of money on.

I spent $3500 on my last mattress. I spend 1/3 of my life on it a mattress so I feel like I should drop some decent coin on making that purchase somewhat pleasurable. I keep a mattress average 10 years.
What kind of mattress did you buy for $3500? Was it recommended or were you able to try it before buying it?
We spent $499 on our last mattress from Costco. Will keep it until it's not comfortable. Can't imagine spending $3,500 on a mattress, but to each their own.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Nastywarnob

Post by Nastywarnob » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:38 am

Long-time tech professional and long time iPhone user here.....my reason: I spend all day designing tech, troubleshooting tech, strategizing tech. The last thing I want is to do the same thing off-hours supporting phones in my family of four. The hardware and eco-system all work. The reliability has been pristine. The longevity of our devices have been excellent - 3 of us all recently moved either to the XR ($599) or 11 ($749). Yes, you do pay a premium, but amortized over time (and time savings of tech support) - its been a no-brainer.

Also will add that I am a huge fan of discount pre-paid plans. Keep the phone purchase and monthly line charges separate, and understand what you’re getting for what your paying.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 am

bpp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm
I find it not so easy with just Japanese and English. For one thing, the little “globe” icon for language-switching changes position depending on which language mode one is in. Not nice. Then the emoji keyboard likes to insert itself randomly in the keyboard list, so when you do hit the globe icon, you never know what you’re going to get — a problem I solved by disabling emojis. But this kind of unpredictability should not be the default operation mode. Again, needlessly user-unfriendly.
I just tried the Japanese - Kana keyboard, and you're right about the little globe moving. That would be disruptive to flow. :oops: I have Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Chinese Simplified - Pinyin installed, and the globe button doesn't move switching between them. (It disappears entirely when you select the emoji keyboard and a small "ABC" button appears in the lower left corner. I guess that counts as moving.) I checked, and the globe doesn't move for Arabic, Russian, or Hindi - Devanagari either. They use the same basic layout as the languages with the Latin keyboard. They should probably keep the globe button in the lowest left corner for consistency. They could easily switch the number key and the globe key. (It would make sense to me to put the number key closest to the space bar.)
bpp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm
As for Siri, I find her useless, so turned her off. I have instead installed Google Assistant for when I want to use a voice-activated assistant.
I try to minimize my interaction with Google as much as possible. Siri is limited, but she works well for me for a few well-defined functions. I use her to set timers and alarms and to send messages to family while I'm driving. Sometimes I ask her to play specific music playlists. That's about it. (I've organized my music into playlists with English names so that I can ask English Siri to play them.)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:47 pm

teniralc wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

It’s a Sterns and Fosters fancy pants mattress. We got it at Bloomingdales.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:52 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am
teniralc wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

We spent $499 on our last mattress from Costco. Will keep it until it's not comfortable. Can't imagine spending $3,500 on a mattress, but to each their own.

That’s fine. I’m sure there’s some stuff you have I couldn’t imagine spending what you spent on.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:30 pm

FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 pm
baconavocado wrote:
I think iphones appeal to folks who aren't too techy, don't want to mess with anything to make it work, and just want it to be reliable. And who uses phones the most in your ecosystem?
I have a degree in computer science and “mess with” computer stuff at work. I have an iPhone because I’m sick of dealing with shoddy software (such as Windows and Android) all day and want something that doesn’t feel like it will crash any second when I’m on my own time. The Android phones owned by friends and relatives have constant problems. Facebook, other apps, or the whole OS on my girlfriend’s Huiwei crash 20+ times a day but I can count the number of times my iPhone crashes per YEAR on one hand. I also like having a single expansive App Store that’s not loaded with hidden viruses like Google’s.

The state of computer science is like engineering was 150 years ago, when boilers would regularly explode and kill people, bridges would collapse, etc.

Who pays for your phone, you or your employer?

I agree that early Android phones had problems, but I think the new ones are just as stable as iphones. My Motorola smartphone never crashes or hangs or has problems loading software. Of course, once people get used to a system, they're reluctant to change. I'm sure if I offered to replace my wife's iphone with a new android phone that would cost her less than half as much to own, she would say, "But what if I missed a text message while you were setting it up?" It's not worth it to her. Communication is the bedrock of her life and she wouldn't risk changing the iphone-ipad-Facebook-Instagram-iMessage-Facetime universe she's created to save some money on phone bills.

By the way, when I was working, none of the hardcore IT guys used Apple computers. Apple computers used to be for artsy creative people and desktop publisher types who didn't understand computers. The IT guys tolerated Windows and worshiped Linux. Android is based on Linux.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:30 pm
By the way, when I was working, none of the hardcore IT guys used Apple computers. Apple computers used to be for artsy creative people and desktop publisher types who didn't understand computers. The IT guys tolerated Windows and worshiped Linux. Android is based on Linux.
MacOS is based on BSD. When I was in a computer science masters program about 10 years ago, over half the students ran Apple machines.

I know lots of hardcore IT guys who prefer Apple machines.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:30 pm
FlyingMoose wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 pm
baconavocado wrote:

Who pays for your phone, you or your employer?

I agree that early Android phones had problems, but I think the new ones are just as stable as iphones. My Motorola smartphone never crashes or hangs or has problems loading software. Of course, once people get used to a system, they're reluctant to change. I'm sure if I offered to replace my wife's iphone with a new android phone that would cost her less than half as much to own, she would say, "But what if I missed a text message while you were setting it up?" It's not worth it to her. Communication is the bedrock of her life and she wouldn't risk changing the iphone-ipad-Facebook-Instagram-iMessage-Facetime universe she's created to save some money on phone bills.

You have a very outdated view of technology and what modern developers work on.

As greg24 mentioned, the bsd foundation of MacOS makes it a much more natural development environment for many developers.

cmublitz

Post by cmublitz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 pm

MrBeaver wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 pm
Not full time, but I have played with one. Three main reasons:
  1. Longevity and OS updates. This could be achieved on Android by sticking with a Google Pixel, but it would be just as expensive as an iPhone.
  2. Security. This requires #1, but even once you achieve that, iPhone zero day exploits sell for considerably more than android zero days, which is a reasonable proxy for the difficulty of hacking a patched, up to date phone.
  3. Design. I’ll say that the physical phone designs have mostly converged, so this is not a big difference. But software is night and day. I’d say Android let’s you do almost anything, but there are a dozen ways to accomplish each thing which makes it more cluttered and confusing. iOS is more limiting, but clear, simple, and uncluttered. I prefer the latter.
Your reason #2 caught my eye since I had just seen an article on this not too long ago. Zerodium, one of the companies that pays for Zero day exploits is actually currently paying more for zero click Android exploits than iOS exploits. $2.5 million vs $2 million. Their website can be found here: https://zerodium.com/program.html.

An article speculating why can be found here: https://www.wired.com/story/android-zer ... -zerodium/
"During the last few months, we have observed an increase in the number of iOS exploits, mostly Safari and iMessage chains, being developed and sold by researchers from all around the world. The zero-day market is so flooded by iOS exploits that we've recently started refusing some them," Zerodium's founder Chaouki Bekrar wrote in a message to WIRED. Meanwhile, Bekrar writes, "Android security is improving with every new release of the OS thanks to the security teams of Google and Samsung, so it became very hard and time consuming to develop full chains of exploits for Android and it's even harder to develop zero-click exploits not requiring any user interaction."