Buying new iPhone from: locked or unlocked?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

Buying new iPhone from: locked or unlocked?

Post by newbie003 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 pm

I'm probably going to order a new iphone 11 pro directly from the apple website.

is there any reason not to get the unlocked and sim free version? this way if i decide to leave verizon (current carrier) at some point, i won't have to deal with unlocking it in the future...?

if i do buy it unlocked and sim free, is it harder to set it up (remove current phone and 'replace' with new phone) with verizon or do I just take the sim out of current phone (iphone 7 plus) and put in new phone? or do i need to deal with verizon and get a new sim? if that's the case, probably just easier to buy it locked to verizon...

thanks!

bloom2708

Re: Buying new iPhone from: locked or unlocked?

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:22 pm

I would pick "unlocked".

Unlocked iPhone's typically have the highest re-sale value after you are done with it. The next owner can use it on any carrier.

As long as your current phone has a nano SIM, you do not need a new SIM card.

Here is the process I follow:

1. Install iTunes (latest version)
2. Make sure your current phone is on the latest iPhone software
3. Backup your current iPhone to your PC (iCloud only backs up some things)
4. Make sure the new phone is on the latest iPhone software (they have to be on the same version to restore). You may have to partially get into the phone and install updates or iTunes will walk you through updating.
5. Put your old SIM in your new iPhone
6. Once the new iPhone is updated, SIM in, hook up to iTunes and restore the backup from your old phone
7. Apps will need to be logged into again on the new iPhone (for the most part)
8. Make a test call and test text on the new iPhone.

It is really quite easy. It just takes a little updating/tinkering. You can do it without a full backup. You just need to do more legwork from an iCloud backup.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Thank you. In the past I've always just done iCloud backups (on the phone itself when setting up the new one). I believe it starts by asking if I want to restore from the cloud or whatnot and I say yes, login, and magic, all my stuff is on the new phone...

Is it better to use itunes instead? I have a large icloud plan and everything (including all my pictures) backs up to it, so I think everything should restore.

Thanks again.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm

newbie003 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 pm
I'm probably going to order a new iphone 11 pro directly from the apple website.

is there any reason not to get the unlocked and sim free version? this way if i decide to leave verizon (current carrier) at some point, i won't have to deal with unlocking it in the future...?

if i do buy it unlocked and sim free, is it harder to set it up (remove current phone and 'replace' with new phone) with verizon or do I just take the sim out of current phone (iphone 7 plus) and put in new phone? or do i need to deal with verizon and get a new sim? if that's the case, probably just easier to buy it locked to verizon...

thanks!
Definitely purchase as unlocked.

Big Mig

Post by Big Mig » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 pm

newbie003 wrote:

thanks!
A “Verizon” phone bought directly from Apple will also be unlocked.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:18 am

newbie003 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Thank you. In the past I've always just done iCloud backups (on the phone itself when setting up the new one). I believe it starts by asking if I want to restore from the cloud or whatnot and I say yes, login, and magic, all my stuff is on the new phone...

Is it better to use itunes instead? I have a large icloud plan and everything (including all my pictures) backs up to it, so I think everything should restore.

Thanks again.
You do not have to use iTunes. It is just much faster using the cord vs using Wi-Fi. From my understanding, iCloud does not back up everything. The backup to PC is essentially your entire phone. We have the 200GB plan on iCloud for $2.99/month.

Either way, you will get to the same place.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:57 am

Big Mig wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 pm
newbie003 wrote:

thanks!
A “Verizon” phone bought directly from Apple will also be unlocked.
This is correct. It really is "Unlocked" anyway so you can buy it with the SIM whether you get it from Apple or from Verizon.
Some more info:
1) If you buy unlocked (which really means, in the iPhone 11 case, that it just doesn't come with a SIM card) and move your SIM from your current phone to the new phone - the new phone "should" just work and you won't have to pay Verizon the "$40" fee for enabling the phone. This is what I always used to do - saves $40. HOWEVER:
2) Some folks are now reporting issues doing "1" above - supposedly Verizon has made some sort of change to LTE that the older SIM cards don't have - so now folks are recommending if your SIM is more than a year or 2 old NOT to move it - but get a new SIM. I read the complaints online but can't confirm this but for me it was enough to convince me to get the new SIM (same price sold by apple with or without the SIM) and pay the $40 to Verizon to enable the SIM. Saving the $40 could lead to issues down the line. The $40 fee is kind of BS but is hard to get Verizon to Waive (other carriers only charge $30 or $0 - depending upon carrier).

Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi all. Quick follow-up; I have everything on my phone backed up to icloud, including photos (icloud photos is on) so, in theory, everything should transfer when I login to a new phone. Actually I don't have mail checked off because I'd rather that just sync up to the gmail server.

That being said, I noticed that Wallet isn't selected under iCloud on my current phone. If I try to enable it, it says that iCloud Drive has to be turned on.

Do I really need (and want) to do that?

I always thought (I don't recall why) that I didn't really need/want iCloud drive.

I have a bunch of stuff in the wallet that I'd rather not manually add back (though not end of world if I need to).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Larry2623

Post by Larry2623 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 pm

apple.com store all phones are unlocked even if the pic a T-mobile or whatever option

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:32 am

I would never buy a locked phone under any circumstances. I think nowadays it is more of an outdated concept as consumers are more informed than they used to be.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 am

Don't forget that if you are military or vet go to the Applestore for military/vet 10% discount. Buy unlocked.

Post by 1789 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Of course you should get unlocked. No question about it.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 pm

newbie003 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:10 pm
Hi all. Quick follow-up; I have everything on my phone backed up to icloud, including photos (icloud photos is on) so, in theory, everything should transfer when I login to a new phone. Actually I don't have mail checked off because I'd rather that just sync up to the gmail server.

That being said, I noticed that Wallet isn't selected under iCloud on my current phone. If I try to enable it, it says that iCloud Drive has to be turned on.

Do I really need (and want) to do that?

I always thought (I don't recall why) that I didn't really need/want iCloud drive.

I have a bunch of stuff in the wallet that I'd rather not manually add back (though not end of world if I need to).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
Turn on iCloud Drive. I can’t think of a reason not to.

Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Just an update that I finally got my new phone. Upon receipt, I did a backup of my current phone (via icloud, not connected to a computer). I then turned on and setup new phone, restoring from the cloud.

Almost everything transferred over nice and smoothly. The only things I had to do were re-add my credit card to Wallet, and re-link all my bluetooth connections.

Of course I had to re-login to many apps (mostly financial) as well.

All in all it was very easy!

Thanks!