Where to stay in Maui?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wenonah

Where to stay in Maui?

Post by Wenonah » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Any suggestions as to where to stay? We got a last minute deal and we are going the last week of October. What part of Maui have you stayed in and what did you like? I want to be near the ocean and probably stay somewhere with a kitchenette. Overwhelmed and looking to narrow it down! On a budget btw. Don't care about resorts, but I would like something clean, close to ocean, not completely in the wilderness. . . Restaurants don't matter. We plan to hike, snorkel, bike, check out beaches. Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Post by livesoft » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Elua Village or The Four Seasons Hotel. They are within walking distance of each other. No need to cross a road to get to great snorkeling.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Look at one of the places in Kihei. It's half way between Kaanapali and Wailea.

It's cheap, across the street from the beach, and easy access both ways to the resorts.

-B

cableguy

Post by cableguy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Just stayed at the Ka’Napali Ali in Maui. I booked it through Costco Travel. What a great place. Oceanfront room. Walk 40 feet to beach. Spectacular. Kitchen, LR, DR, 2 BR. Brought the wife and 3 kids. Check it out. You can walk on the path to other resorts, a little downtown that has shops and restaurants, etc. At the end of the path is the Sheraton. Great snorkeling and cliff jumping. I think they call it black rocks.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:12 pm

We like Kihei. Just got back a few weeks ago. Having said that, there are many good options on Maui. We rented an AirBnb for our group of 7 adults and one toddler. Four bedrooms, pool, game room, etc. As a point of reference, around $5,200 for 6 nights including all cleaning, fees, etc.

GingerandPiper

Post by GingerandPiper » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 pm

If on a budget, Kihei is your place! Plus it's nice and a lot of locals live there and lots of activities. And it's close to the Nude Beach....:-). (There's that.)

Ginger

PS. My brother has had a place in Kihei for decades and goes over multiple times a year - (he lives in CA.) Oh, there's also some resorts that are kind of up in the "mountains." Lots of hiking and views.

Oh yes! Mama's Fish House for a great meal - still good after all these years.

omibogle

Post by omibogle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:17 pm

We like Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea. Its expensive but thru costco pretty decent discount, however still expensive.

I would recommend staying on leeward side to avoid weather as much as possible this time of year.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:23 pm

AirB&B/VRBO
Stayed all over, but I like Lahaina the best.
Best island; get a rental car.
Maui Brewing
Black Rock
Bamboo Forest/7 Pools
Road to Hana/Black Sand/Red Sand beaches

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

VRBO.com has been our go-to site for years and has never disappointed. That's Vacation Rentals by Owner.

dpc

Post by dpc » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei a few times when I was working over there. It's close to the beach, restaurants, etc. Clean and nice, but certainly not a fancy resort. We found the area to be pleasantly funky - lots of dive shops, etc nearby. But that's been a few years ago now.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Really depends on your budget. Luxury/5 star you want to stay at one of the Wailea spots like Four Seasons. If nice but not high luxury (let's call it 4 star) I really like the Westin timeshare properties north of Kaanapali. Shuttle bus to Kaanapali and to Lahaina, kitchens in the units, nice pools, on the beach, on a long walkway, etc..... If less than 4 stars I don't know because I don't do that. I suppose Kehei or maybe one of the condos near Whaler's Village in Kaanapali.

Topic Author
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:17 pm

I will be checking all of these places out. Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Barsoom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 pm
Look at one of the places in Kihei. It's half way between Kaanapali and Wailea.

It's cheap, across the street from the beach, and easy access both ways to the resorts.

-B
+1. Agreed stayed in a nice VRBO one block from the beach here. A nice apartment with ocean view, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, washer & dryer, and patio. I think around $125/night.

Nthomas

Post by Nthomas » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 pm

We stayed at the Hyatt and it was amazing! Great pool, amazing food and service. Right on the water.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:51 pm

There is a vibrant, fun little hostel in Wailuku called Banana Bungalow. Stayed a week there a few years ago, and I was far from being the oldest one there. Great activity schedule with daily organized outings if you want, and easy on the budget.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 pm

cableguy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm
Just stayed at the Ka’Napali Ali in Maui. I booked it through Costco Travel. What a great place. Oceanfront room. Walk 40 feet to beach. Spectacular. Kitchen, LR, DR, 2 BR. Brought the wife and 3 kids. Check it out. You can walk on the path to other resorts, a little downtown that has shops and restaurants, etc. At the end of the path is the Sheraton. Great snorkeling and cliff jumping. I think they call it black rocks.
+1 That has been our go-to place for many years.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:35 am

The Mana Kai in South Kihei. It’s literally right on the beach and has good snorkeling. Opt for the condo, not the adjoining hotel room which has no view. Another less expensive option (albeit not as nice IMHO) across the parking lot is the Kihei Surfside. Both are family friendly and there is nothing like going to sleep in the Mana Kai with the sound of the ocean from right outside your room.

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 am

omibogle wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:17 pm
We like Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea. Its expensive but thru costco pretty decent discount, however still expensive.

I would recommend staying on leeward side to avoid weather as much as possible this time of year.
+1 for Fairmont. It is a pretty good resort, pool & beach are nice. You can walk to other resorts and they have a car service which will take you to nearby restaurant and shopping

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 am

Elua or Ekahi village are probably the best of both worlds. You can get a small kitchenette and are steps from the beach in Wailea. They're pretty fairly priced. You can book them through Destination Hotels.

If you don't have kids and have a decent budget, go to the Four Seasons. The place is magical. Get a club room and you can eat/drink whenever you want and spend the rest of the time doing the Island stuff you want.

Maui is No Ka 'Oi.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:49 am

Four Seaons - one of their better properties

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 am

Ok, I’ll be the budget oriented one: Residence Inn by Marriot in Wailea. Short walk to beach, kitchenette, very new property, fantastic pool and free breakfast. Book a room with a view... sunsets are amazing.

Honestly .... I stay in a lot of hotels.. and most 4 star places (lookin at you Westin, Pan Pacific, Four Seasons) are dumps compared to this place (which is still 3.5 star IIRC).

Book via hotwire or priceline for a nice steep discount.

SR II

Post by SR II » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 am

birnhamwood wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm
VRBO.com has been our go-to site for years and has never disappointed. That's Vacation Rentals by Owner.
+1

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:26 am

birnhamwood wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm
We loved VRBO until they were bought out by Expedia and added way more fees and made it impossible to talk on phone with the owner until after booking. We now try to book direct with owners or use local travel sites. We still have our vacation home listed on VRBO but try to avoid them as much as possible. Unfortunately there is no other site than can compete nationally with VRBO/Homeaway.

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:38 pm

On a budget, I would recommend South Kihei (south of Charley Young Beach) for the best combo of great breaches and good prices. We own 2 bedroom units in the rental pool at Aston at the Maui Banyan, so we are biased. Before we bought at Maui Banyan, we usually stayed in Wailea at at Elua, which is very nice but most expensive than South Kihei.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Last summer we vacationed in Maui.

Stayed at the Grand Wailea on points for a few nights. Great, great, great pools.

Then had a vrbo in Kihei. I liked Kihei. It was nice and quiet. There's a great pizza trailer in one of the parking lots that was featured on Guy's DDD.

We took surfing lessons across the street from our vrbo condo.

It's fairly central...so we hit most everything on the island.

We did the pineapple tour...yeah it's touristy, but to be honest, I did learn about the pineapple industry and Maui Gold pineapples are by far the best pineapple I've ever eaten. (They feed you as much as you want to eat)

Jumped off Black Rock. (Won't ever do that again. :)

The beaches in Kihei are nice...and you are a short drive away from probably a dozen other beaches that are just as awesome.

Also...the cinnamon bun lady in Kihei has huge buns.