I thought Pyrex glass food storage containers were supposed to be durable?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

I thought Pyrex glass food storage containers were supposed to be durable?

Post by Bob Sacamano » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 pm

one of our Pyrex pieces chipped tonight, sending small slivers of glass across the sink and into my wife's finger.

a little concerning as we use these daily to store food, bring our lunches to work, etc. i had thought they were quite a bit more durable than this.

i have already contacted Pyrex to alert them.

KSOC

Re: I thought Pyrex glass food storage containers were supposed to be durable?

Post by KSOC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:45 pm

We have numerous Anchor & Pyrex ware after tossing much of our plastic stuff. I think a few of our chipped (not sharp) from stacking in the cupboard without the lids. Never actually witnessed how they got chipped but it happens sometimes to our plates & mugs too. But, I've never had any explode in the micro or oven like some folks report.
Too soon old, too late smart.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:45 pm

It is, but in the end it is glass. What happened?

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:56 pm

I think they already know. Originally Pyrex was a trade name for special borosilicate glass which was temperature resistant because of low expansion. They apparently found tempered glass to be cheaper and whoever bought the trade name began using tempered glass instead. Tempered glass is under much internal stress, so it is strong unless it gets a defect like a scratch or chip. So now there are warnings about not using scratched or chipped Pyrex. Scratched pieces can fail catastrophically. Consumers have complained in the past, but apparently not enough to change things.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:16 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:56 pm
I think they already know. Originally Pyrex was a trade name for special borosilicate glass which was temperature resistant because of low expansion. They apparently found tempered glass to be cheaper and whoever bought the trade name began using tempered glass instead. Tempered glass is under much internal stress, so it is strong unless it gets a defect like a scratch or chip. So now there are warnings about not using scratched or chipped Pyrex. Scratched pieces can fail catastrophically. Consumers have complained in the past, but apparently not enough to change things.
I did not know that!

A search for borosilicate on Amazon turned up a few things, but most were some sort of specialty item. Several pitchers and coffee related items but no equivalent to a set of dishes like Pyrex or Anchor Hocking. We have some of each dating back 20 or more years and I WAS assuming it was borosilicate.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 pm
one of our Pyrex pieces chipped tonight, sending small slivers of glass across the sink and into my wife's finger.

a little concerning as we use these daily to store food, bring our lunches to work, etc. i had thought they were quite a bit more durable than this.

Pyrex is glass and like all glass items, they will chip unless you are very careful.

I have never heard of anyone using any pyrex item for "food storage".

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 pm
Bob Sacamano wrote:

Pyrex is glass and like all glass items, they will chip unless you are very careful.

We cook in it and leftovers go in the fridge, in the Pyrex dish.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Nothing lasts forever. If this was a new pyrex container, I would be concerned. If this was a well-used one, then years of rapid hot and rapid cold cycles will stress and degrade its performance.

increment

Post by increment » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
"Pyrex 18-Piece Simply Store Food Storage Set" is the top choice for glass food storage at Wirecutter, so it can't be too unusual. (Their article has a section "Why is my tempered glassware spontaneously shattering?")
Last edited by increment on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Durable yes. Indestructible, no.

The use of tempered glass gives the glassware a lot of resilience, but it also makes it prone to sending chips flying rapidly if it is damaged, or shattering dramatically if exposed to severe temperature shocks.

And although I've never had any issues, it seems like a small proportion of Pyrex or indeed any tempered glass containers have defects that make them more prone to failing prematurely.

As mentioned by others, most Pyrex used to be made of borosilicate glass, which due to a very low coefficient of thermal expansion, is more resistant to cracking due to thermal shock than tempered soda lime glass.

That same property also limits how well it can be tempered, but it does also have a higher untempered toughness than untempered soda lime glass. Unfortunately, I can't find clear data on the resulting toughness of borosilicate versus tempered soda lime glass.
ReadyOrNot wrote:
Consumers have complained in the past, but apparently not enough to change things.
They'll change if customers convince them they'll pay the price difference. Borosilicate glass reportedly costs 2-3 times as much for the material. That large of ratio won't carry through directly in the forming, distribution, and retail overhead to the point where the consumer makes a buying decision, but it is a competitive factor the manufacturers have to consider.

That said, some companies are catching on to the interest. From a search on Amazon, they have Farberware measuring cups and AmazonBasics baking dishes both advertised as being made from borosilicate glass.

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 pm

We switched to stainless steel bake pans long ago. You don’t have to worry about a shattering event sending shards into all the food you made at Thanksgiving. Measuring cups should be polycarbonate instead of glass as well.

DorothyB

Post by DorothyB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Trader Joe wrote:

I use pyrex dishes to store all of my leftovers, including some in the freezer. When I make large quantities of a dish, I divvy it up into pyrex dishes. I also use larger pyrex dishes to put my cut-up watermelon, cantaloupe, etc in

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
I think they already know. Originally Pyrex was a trade name for special borosilicate glass which was temperature resistant because of low expansion. They apparently found tempered glass to be cheaper and whoever bought the trade name began using tempered glass instead.
Good reason for not allowing trade names in the claims of a patent.
Even better is that the PYREX trade name is still also used on borosilicate glass for lab use (from Corning) in addition to the pyrex tempered soda-lime glass (from Corning's spin off consumer products company).
Trader Joe wrote:

Pyrex food storage containers are found at quite a few stores (Target, Sears, Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond). I've had a set in service at my house for food storage since 2007 without failure yet. However, the plastic lids are starting to become brittle and fall apart. I prefer storing food in glass vs plastic, especially if I intend to heat it in the microwave.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 pm

I have been storing food in Pyrex containers for more than twenty years. I roast potatoes at high heat in larger 13 x 9 x 2 dish, but I don't use those for storage.

I use the smaller storage containers in both the freezer and the refrigerator. I have had to replace the lids of the older pieces as the corners tear.

I have not broken a container yet, but I have chipped the granite countertop on the short journey from the sink to the dishwasher.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:20 am

We have used pyrex brand storage containers for years, including as microwave dishes, and have experienced no damage at all. But nothing is immune to abusive handling albeit by accident.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 am

We recently bought some Pyrex containers at Costco and found the instructions to "always pre-heat the oven before putting the Pyrex in" surprising. Apparently the radiant heat during the heating time can damage the Pyrex.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 13-time loser

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 am

Trader Joe wrote:
I do this almost daily. Whatever I make too much of and freeze goes into pyrex. All leftovers go into pyrex. Then directly into a cold countertop oven for warming to eat.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 am
We recently bought some Pyrex containers at Costco and found the instructions to "always pre-heat the oven before putting the Pyrex in" surprising. Apparently the radiant heat during the heating time can damage the Pyrex.
I too find that surprising.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:49 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 am
Some ovens also crank up the power really high to preheat. We make frozen cookie dough balls and bake them as needed starting from a cold oven and they turn out great at home with our Miele oven. Took some to an Airbnb with a Dacor (or maybe DCS?) oven and it burnt them pretty bad. So most ovens is probably fine to put pyrex into unpreheated, but some might shatter it.

If you ever find pyrex baking dishes that have a yellow tint instead of a green/blue tint, then they are the older borosilicate glass ones.

smudge

Post by smudge » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:59 am

10 years ago, I had a Pyrex measuring cup explode when placing it on a granite counter from the cupboard.
15 years ago, I had a Pyrex glass casserole explode after baking in a 350 oven and placing on a granite countertop. Tiny shards of glass everywhere.
Thankfully , I wear eyeglasses and clothing.

AnonLady

Post by AnonLady » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:09 am

Bob Sacamano wrote:

They used to be. I have an old Pyrex dish I use in the oven that is tough, but the new Pyrex are not as durable. They changed to a worse and less safe glass recipe without informing their customers that they were no longer going to receive the product they used to rely on. Be much more careful with it. If you want old school tough Pyrex, you gotta shop at thrift stores. That's where I got my really tough Pyrex dish. The newer ones I've gotten for the oven all broke because I treated them the way I treat my tough ones and they broke.

https://blogbythemoon.com/2011/04/28/th ... glassware/

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am

mmmodem wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:53 pm
Nothing lasts forever.
Not true. Correlle plates from the 70s; still use these daily; expect to pass them on to our toddler children :D :

As for Pyrex, did not know that about the tempered glass! Bummer!
Couple years ago bought a 2 cup measuring cup to compliment the 1 cup one I bought a long time back, and the printed lettering has disappeared from the new one, so it's not just the formula of the glass that changed. :(

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:35 pm

ReadyOrNot wrote:
THIS +1000

The actual fact based answer.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:46 pm

An article about this issue:

https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-con ... 1833040962

It is still possible to buy products made of borosilicate glass. You have to seek them out.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Knock on wood - we didnt have any explosion of pyrex.
We did have one or two that were chipped at top.

Our issue with pyrex is that the soft material lids are no longer available and they only sell plastic ones that are not lasting enough.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:20 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Our issue with pyrex is that the soft material lids are no longer available and they only sell plastic ones that are not lasting enough.
We've had good luck w/ the blue plastic lids, though wish they were made of silicone.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm

batpot wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 am
mmmodem wrote:
Nothing lasts forever.
Not true. Correlle plates from the 70s; still use these daily; expect to pass them on to our toddler children :D :

I may have you beat, batpot. :) Our 'daily dishes' are a set of blue and white ironware plates, designed by Eva Zeisel and discontinued in 1965. They are just beautiful, as well as durable. Wish I could find more. Those and my AllClad will probably be passed on when I pass on!
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

increment

Post by increment » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm

batpot wrote:
Corelle also is made from tempered glass, and so can shatter in surprising ways.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Where have you been hiding? Pyrex has been one of the most popular food storage lines available for decades.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 pm

smudge wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:59 am
10 years ago, I had a Pyrex measuring cup explode when placing it on a granite counter from the cupboard.
15 years ago, I had a Pyrex glass casserole explode after baking in a 350 oven and placing on a granite countertop. Tiny shards of glass everywhere.
Thankfully , I wear eyeglasses and clothing.
This is legitimately terrifying. I feel like I'd be safer with non-tempered glass now...

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:21 am

Lab PYREX used to be made of pyrex and still is. Kitchen PYREX used to made of pyrex but isn''t any more. Around the 1980s Corning decided to quit making kitchen PYREX of pyrex, to cut costs, and began making kitchen PYREX out of ordinary glass, but decided to keep calling them PYREX, because for six decades PYREX had meant high quallity, and they figured consumers wouldn't wise up. And apparently they haven't.

That is an insoluble problem with trade names. The company can change the nature of what is underneath the name and nobody can say boo to them. I was very annoyed one to buy some Robitussin cough drops with no Robitussin in them--indeed, no active ingredients whatsoever. But this is a risk you take with trade names. They can be whatever the manufacturer wants them to be, and if they spend decades building up a brand name with a tradition of quality and then torpedo it for a quick buck, there's nothing you can say about it but "caveat emptor." And, of course, "shame on them."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:32 am

BarbaricYawp wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm
Our 'daily dishes' are a set of blue and white ironware plates, designed by Eva Zeisel and discontinued in 1965. They are just beautiful, as well as durable. Wish I could find more.
You've looked here?
https://www.replacements.com/search/?query=zeisel

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
You must be a very young person.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 pm

batpot wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:20 pm
niceguy7376 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:50 pm

We've had good luck w/ the blue plastic lids, though wish they were made of silicone.
I have Pyrex storage with glass lids. I would never buy the crap bad for the environment modern lids.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:

Pyrex is well aware of problems with their product; Consumer Reports exposed them in a Jan 2011 article.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ConsumerNews ... d=12328800

They're manufacturing things more cheaply and are simply tolerating the problem.

I've had the same thing happen. New pyrex is not the same as old Pyrex - quality control is not what it used to be. I won't buy Pyrex any more.
What I currently use is all 30+ years old and I don't put any in the oven. I haven't noticed any shards come off of those, and I've checked carefully for any chipping.

If you do some internet searches, you'll similar reports.

I discovered this problem when I had very small, almost unnoticeable glass shards came off of the top of a (new) glass pyrex bowl. I suspect there were minute air bubbles that developed - others have reported similar problems.

It's scary because since the shards so small, it would be easy to miss them.

See also
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/ ... pyrex.html

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:42 pm

BarbaricYawp wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm
batpot wrote:
mmmodem wrote:
Nothing lasts forever.

I may have you beat, batpot. :) Our 'daily dishes' are a set of blue and white ironware plates, designed by Eva Zeisel and discontinued in 1965. They are just beautiful, as well as durable. Wish I could find more. Those and my AllClad will probably be passed on when I pass on!
flaunt your high-mileage dinnerware. :sharebeer