Why are Mazda CX-5’s sales so much less than other brands?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:51 pm

I’m about ready to pull the trigger and buy a 2020 Camry XLE 4 cylinder. Before I do, I wanted to see what I’m missing on the Mazda CX-5. A small CUV would be handy at times, but I don’t want a RAV4 or Honda CR-V for several reasons. Performance would be nice, but long-term reliability and longevity are the most important things to me.

What puzzles me is why Mazda CX-5 U.S. sales YTD through September are so much less than the RAV4 and CR-V.

US SUV Sales Figures by Model | GCBC

Toyota RAV4 324,622
Honda CR-V 280,739
Mazda CX-5 113,700

Even Camry’s sold more than CX-5’s, which surprised me considering all the rage about CUV’s these days.

US Passenger Car Sales Figures by Model | GCBC

Camry 258,456

So what am I missing? Why don’t CX-5’s sell like the others? Here are some things I’ve been questioning:

Does it have a poor reliability rating by Consumer Reports? I’ve read conflicting things about its reliability, and I can’t imagine it would come close to the Camry anyway, which is why I’ll probably still proceed to buy the Camry.

Does it have a really poor resale value?

Are they expensive to maintain and repair and not mechanic friendly (I want something inexpensive to maintain because I have a BMW now!)?

Are parts not readily available if you need something fixed?

Is it because the CX-5 only has two generations and only been around since 2013 and not proven like the others?

Does Mazda not stand behind their product after the sale?

Does it cost more to insure?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don’t understand the sales figures because I've read great things about the CX-5 and people seem to like it. I was shocked that Scotty was recently positive about it, which made me think I should consider it before I sign on the dotted line for the Camry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOA...em-uploademail

Here are a few other examples:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...act-suv-truck/

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2...sumer-reviews/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/mazda/cx-5/

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...-door-suv/2019

This site indicates the second generation improved significantly since the first one. They also say it’s generally a good bet although I’m concerned that the main complaints are 35% transmission and 21% engine. If I got one, I’d buy a 2019 or 2020 and not an AWD.

Mazda CX-5 Problems and Complaints - Mazda Problems

2017-2018 Mazda CX-5 Problems - Mazda Problems

Re: Why are Mazda CX-5’s sales so much less than other brands?

Post by 123 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 pm

I would suspect it may be because there are fewer Mazda dealers in the US than other brands like Toyota.

The absence of a local dealer to purchase/service/repair a vehicle may cause some consumers to purchase an alternative brand.

Google told me that there are about 200 Mazda, 957 Honda, and 1200 Toyota dealerships in the USA. Siri and Alexa might give different answers. YMMV
Last edited by 123 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Sorry. I noticed that the last two links I put in my original thread didn’t work so I thought I’d try again.
http://www.mazdaproblems.com/models/cx-5/
http://www.mazdaproblems.com/models/cx-5/generations/2/

Litfury

Post by Litfury » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 pm

I think you are reading into this way too much. Mazda is ust not as popular of a brand. Historically Toyota and Honda just move a greater volume. Mazda makes a great vehicle, their quality and reliability has really gone up in recent years.
This is like asking why does the toyota camry and honda accord sale more than the Kia or hyundai equivalent. They always have, even though Hyundai quality has greatly improved in the last 10 years.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Mazda is a MUCH smaller manufacturer. There are MANY fewer dealers and they spend MUCH less on marketing. Long-term reliability is comparable to Toyota and Honda. It's a driver's brand. If you like to drive, you will prefer the Mazda. It also has a MUCH nicer interior at the higher trims. It has less interior space than both the Rav4 and CR-V by a significant margin, which may be a dealbreaker for many. Sales volumes aren't determined by product quality, so the fact that vehicle A sells less than vehicle B doesn't imply anything about their relative quality.

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Litfury wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 pm
I think you are reading into this way too much. Mazda is ust not as popular of a brand. Historically Toyota and Honda just move a greater volume. Mazda makes a great vehicle, their quality and reliability has really gone up in recent years.
This is like asking why does the toyota camry and honda accord sale more than the Kia or hyundai equivalent. They always have, even though Hyundai quality has greatly improved in the last 10 years.
This is likely just it.

Honda and Toyota have massive inertia from decades of excellent performance for many, many years when so many makers did not.

It does appear many auto makers have brought them back to the pack, especially Honda.

From engineers in the auto industry I also understand that overall numbers on reliability are much closer to eachother than in decades past. Though I haven't seen proof of this. For example the actual quantitative number on failures is much closer than, say, CR's qualitative grades would suggest.

Hint: what good is CR if everyone gets a reliability grade of 9.7, 9.6, 9.5, and 9.4. Yet a 7, 6, 5, 4 rating appears far more valuable to the reader. Qualitatively that's a large difference. Maybe not so much in reality.

I hesitate to hit submit on this post as I don't have any real objective evidence for the above.

There is a massive amount of bias in auto preference whether it be for the good or bad or just simply Ford v. Chevy.

If a CUV was what I wanted I certainly would not allow reliability or cost of ownership, even that backed by decent evidence, push me towards getting a highly touted sedan. There are plenty of good options in a CUV, including non-Toyota, with excellent reliability and cost of ownership.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:34 pm

They are simply a smaller, more niche brand with far less dealers than Honda and Toyota. They are also considered reliable drivers cars for people who enjoy driving, unlike Toyotas which are more like reliable appliances. I own two, a 2014 Mazda6 and a 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT. I have zero complaints about either car and really enjoy driving them. Plus I like their stylish designs and the upscale quality of their interiors. Previous to Mazdas I've owned Subarus, Acuras, and Nissans. I plan to upgrade my 2014 in the next couple of years with another Mazda. In my opinion, there is no other brand out there that has the same "bang for the buck" as Mazda.

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:46 pm

The answer to your question is very simple, as explained below...
KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 pm
Mazda is a MUCH smaller manufacturer. There are MANY fewer dealers and they spend MUCH less on marketing.
Sales volumes aren't determined by product quality, so the fact that vehicle A sells less than vehicle B doesn't imply anything about their relative quality.
Mazda is simply a much smaller company than these other brands.

The story is similar for Subaru.
The Forester competes directly with the Rav4/CRV/CX-5, and it only sold ~170K units last year.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:00 pm

I agree with what others said and we enjoy our 2 Mazdas (2012 Mazda5 and 2019 CX-5).

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Agree with the others. I just finished accompanying DW on her shopping quest for a new SUV. If it had been me picking a SUV for my use, I probably would have bought the CX-5. Her tastes were different though.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:18 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:09 pm
Mazda is a MUCH smaller manufacturer. There are MANY fewer dealers and they spend MUCH less on marketing. Long-term reliability is comparable to Toyota and Honda. It's a driver's brand. If you like to drive, you will prefer the Mazda. It also has a MUCH nicer interior at the higher trims. It has less interior space than both the Rav4 and CR-V by a significant margin, which may be a dealbreaker for many. Sales volumes aren't determined by product quality, so the fact that vehicle A sells less than vehicle B doesn't imply anything about their relative quality.
" It has less interior space than both the Rav4 and CR-V by a significant margin,"
We now own a 2014 Honda CRV and a 2019 Mazda CX-5 - for what its worth we do not see a significant lack of interior space in the CX5. It is smaller in the back past the rear seats if that is where you need extra space.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

I very much enjoyed my first Mazda and got a second one many years ago. It's still going strong. It is a smaller brand, as others have said, but if I had to buy another car today, it'd likely be a Mazda CX-5. Maybe a CX-7 if I'm feeling spendy.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Mazda is bottom shelf when compared to Toyota and Honda. Toyota and Honda are much superior vehicles.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Mazda is bottom shelf when compared to Toyota and Honda. Toyota and Honda are much superior vehicles.
Try telling the people posting on the Honda oil dilution thread.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Trader Joe wrote:

Ummm, did you read the rest of the thread? There is an obvious answer to that question, and it isn't the one you provided.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm
Trader Joe wrote:

Ummm, did you read the rest of the thread? There is an obvious answer to that question, and it isn't the one you provided.
While I've always liked the Miata/MX-5, as a whole I've felt that Mazda has a reputation of having slightly inferior quality as compared to its Toyota and Honda counterparts (with the one exception being the relatively recent oil dilution issues with CRV's). I rented a Mazda 3 a few years ago, and was really disappointed at how cheap it felt.

I felt the same way about Subaru (always liked the Imprezza WRX, less so the rest of the lineup), but my opinion changed slightly when most of my co-workers started getting Forester's.

I suppose its all about perception.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:52 pm

StormShadow wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 pm

While I've always liked the Miata/MX-5, as a whole I've felt that Mazda has a reputation of having slightly inferior quality as compared to its Toyota and Honda counterparts (with the one exception being the relatively recent oil dilution issues with CRV's). I rented a Mazda 3 a few years ago, and was really disappointed at how cheap it felt.

I felt the same way about Subaru (always liked the Imprezza WRX, less so the rest of the lineup), but my opinion changed slightly when most of my co-workers started getting Forester's.

To some extent that was historically true in the 90s. Since then Mazda quality has gotten better while Hondas has gotten worse. I don't know when you rented your Mazda but since 2017, Mazda has done a number on their interiors. I am not sure many people would say they lower quality than the equivalent honda/toyota with pretty much everyone saying they have much better material quality and they are being held back somewhat by outdated tech (i.e. small screens). I haven't been in the bottom trim CX5 (or toyota, honda for that matter)), but in the midtier and up, I definitely wouldn't have said the CX5 felt cheaper.

Everyone has slightly different criteria. If people just bought the top 1-3 cars in review lists (motortrend, caranddriver, US&news, cR,...), a lot of these cars would never sell. Nobody who writes reviews likes the Nissian rogue. It is loud, slow and unrefined. It is also neck in neck with the CRV for the #2 compact SUV. Combo of price and space make up for all sorts of faults.

I also wish CR and the like would stop using ranked lists for things like reliability and went with a score. In most years the differences between say 3 (Lexus, toyota tend to have a bit of gap between #3) and 10 is less than 20% when you are looking at rankings that provide problems per 100 cars. Makers go from 5 to 12 in single year when 1 model has a couple of problems.

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:59 pm

My wife has been shopping for a new car. We looked at every smaller SUV. She just bought a new Subaru Forester today. I don't know why she rejected the CX-5 but the Forester is a very nice SUV. I would have gone for the Mazda3 hatchback. That looked like a very fun car.

The problem with the Forester is the dealers just aren't dealing. No incentives from Subaru and it was like pulling teeth to get them down to invoice. But happy wife, happy life.

Life is too short to worry about these little things. It sounds like you want a Mazda so go drive it and buy it if you want. Mazda's reliability is acceptable. It's not like you are thinking of blowing your money on a vehicle you can't afford.
We plan. G-d laughs.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Mazda is a much smaller brand but consider this; The CX-5 sales alone account for more than all other models that Mazda sells combined.

Mazda Reports August Sales Results 2019
http://bit.ly/2MTP0D1

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Mazdas are fine cars. They are doing something interesting in that they are transforming themselves into a luxury brand. Their interiors are quite nice. Exterior aesthetics need a bit more to go for me, but I think that they are fine cars.

Also, if you do not think that it can be done... if you are driving a Toyota, you are proof of it. Granted, Lexus is Toyota's luxury division, though Toyota's were junk (tin cans) when they first arrived from Japan in the 60's and 70's. They have obviously changed and improved tremendously. Kia and Hyundai are in a process of transforming their image from being cheap cars.
Last edited by Helo80 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:20 pm

My daughter has one (3 years) and is happy, after much research too. Mazda's quality has come way up. There seems to be thousands on the roads of San Diego County.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 am

Trader Joe wrote:

As posted above we have one of each - the Mazda is actually the superior vehicle.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:03 am

Clever_Username wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm
I very much enjoyed my first Mazda and got a second one many years ago. It's still going strong. It is a smaller brand, as others have said, but if I had to buy another car today, it'd likely be a Mazda CX-5. Maybe a CX-7 if I'm feeling spendy.
They stopped producing the CX-7 size about half a dozen years back.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 am

Not all Mazda's are created equal. About 7 years ago I had a brand new Mazdaspeed 3 and the quality left a lot to be desired. The interior was pretty bad but I knew this when I bought it. What I didn't know was that when the temperature dropped below 20 degrees it felt and sounded like you were driving a model T. The first time it got cold I actually pulled over to see if something was wrong with the car. After searching online, it happened to every MS3 in cold weather and had to do with the bushings. Mazda wouldn't do anything about it even though the car had less than 5k miles and a warranty.

With that said, if I was in the market for a small SUV it would be on my list.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:00 am

Just got a CX-5 a few months ago after looking at the Honda and Toyota products. We're happy...good value, nice ride, service staff seems pleasant enough.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

msi

Post by msi » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 am

The CX-5 actually has a 5/5 for predicted reliability from Consumer Reports, compared to 4/5 for the 2019 Camry (2020 not rated yet). I'd expect both to be very reliable, though.

If there's any chance you'll use the extra storage space or want the extra ground clearance, get the CX-5. It's a far better-looking vehicle.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 am

smitcat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:03 am
Clever_Username wrote:
Oh. I hadn't done my research. That change from them will probably keep me from buying a new CX-7. I guess if I'm feeling spendy it's a CX-9 then.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:35 am

Clever_Username wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 am
smitcat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:03 am
Clever_Username wrote:
Oh. I hadn't done my research. That change from them will probably keep me from buying a new CX-7. I guess if I'm feeling spendy it's a CX-9 then.
I just asked someone I work with that has a CX-7 in our parking lot - the last year was apparently 2012.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:12 am

I have a 2016 CX-5. Zero issues thus far and still fun to drive.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:32 am

people buy what they see... IMO, CX-5 blows CRV, Rav4, Tucson, and Rogues away. You have to drive one then you will know why. Better interior and a lot more power(especially if you get the turbo).
FYI, I believe Mazda outsells Subaru

mfworks

Post by mfworks » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:06 pm

After months of waffling, test driving, reading countless reviews and watching as many Youtube videos as possible, I decided to buy a CX-5.
I purchased it about a month ago, so I can give you my first impressions from a new buyer. The first thing I did, which I would definitely recommend, is finding a rental agency that rents whatever car you're thinking of buying. I can't tell from a 15 minute test drive, with a salesman in my ear, whether I'd like to commit to making a $30,000 purchase that I might have for 5-10 years. Well worth the $50 I spent to have the car for a day and really get a feel for it.
I purchased the Grand Touring trim of the CX-5. It's upgraded from the base and touring trims, but doesn't have the turbo engine. The two upper trims were significantly more expensive and the gas mileage wasn't as good as the lower trims. This car is certainly quick enough for the kind of driving I do.
Pro's
1. Handles great, very smooth ride with plenty of power
2. Beautiful interior. Leather seats are comfortable and the car is appointed nicely.
3. Gas mileage is as advertised 25 city, 31 highway
Con's
1. The storage space up front is totally inadequate. There's a center console that is tiny and the glove compartment, that's it.
2. The USB ports are in the center console, so if you want to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto, you need to run the USB cord from the center console to the front cubby hole where you can place your phone.
3. The storage space behind the back seats is smaller than most of the competitors. I was able to get 4 sets of golf clubs in there, but you have to get pretty creative.
4. The infotainment system is not the least bit intuitive. There's definitely a learning curve. Others I test drove were much more straightforward.

We leased the car for 3 years, at which time we'll buy an electric car. I'm sure by then most of the manufacturers will have electric versions available.
My last car was a 2012 Camry hybrid. Obviously, this car has significantly more entertainment and safety features than a 7 year old Camry.
Hope this helps.

edgeway

Post by edgeway » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 pm

I've had 2 different mazdas and both had the most insanely low maintenance costs of any car I've ever owned. I recently traded in a CX-5 that I really, really loved (no complaints), and whenever I took it in for regularly scheduled maintenance, it cost me around $30 total for an oil change, tire rotation, and inspection. That's been my experience with Mazda maintenance costs for a long time. Back in the early 2000s, a CX-9 had $26 fees for scheduled maintenance.

barreg

Post by barreg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 pm

For whatever reason, it seems like each Mazda vehicle is somewhat smaller than competing vehicles in the same class, which may have an impact.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:29 pm

barreg wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 pm
For whatever reason, it seems like each Mazda vehicle is somewhat smaller than competing vehicles in the same class, which may have an impact.
Part of this is that Mazda sells the same models pretty much in all markets, it’s too small to create lots of variants for different markets. Larger companies often sell a bigger variant of a model in the American market (e.g., the US-market VW Tiguan is several inches longer than the version sold elsewhere; not sure about the current RAV4 but at least previously this was also true of that model). For a while Mazda did sell a 6 unique to the US market but that had also to do with its partnership at the time with Ford.

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Switched from a Toyota Camry to a Mazda CX-5. This new car is the first I've ever truly enjoyed.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 pm

StormShadow wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
Trader Joe wrote:

Try the new Mazda3. I very nearly bought one and I don't want anything to do with a small car. It's that good. I flaked out last second at the dealership... I'm a big guy and it just isn't practical. A buddy of mine is into exotic cars and compared the look of the interior to BMW/Porsche and it's just SO-MUCH-FUN to drive.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 pm
StormShadow wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
Trader Joe wrote:

Try the new Mazda3. I very nearly bought one and I don't want anything to do with a small car. It's that good. I flaked out last second at the dealership... I'm a big guy and it just isn't practical. A buddy of mine is into exotic cars and compared the look of the interior to BMW/Porsche and it's just SO-MUCH-FUN to drive.
It amazes me how so many don't take into consideration how a vehicle actually drives in their buying decision. Personally, I would be bored to death with all the underpowered sub 200HP engines they put in the smaller SUVs.
When we went from a 6 Cyl Nissan Xterra wanting a slightly smaller SUV, the CX-5 had no competition in that price range. It was a simple decision after test driving the GTR with the turbo. Don't people want to have a little fun driving so many miles a year?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 pm

We purchased a CX-9 after cross-shopping the Acura RDX and Lexus RX350 as well as other smaller and larger SUVs. It also sells far fewer units than most of its competitors but we found it to be the best value by far when taken as a whole. By the way, the CX-9 just received the highest rating possible by the IIHS (Top Safety Pick + with certain equipment) and after being re-evaluated recently was awarded Consumer Reports' highest reliability rating. Mazda is a smaller manufacturer that makes great and fun to drive vehicles and is now focusing on making those vehicles more upscale to boot.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

MrTom

Post by MrTom » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 pm

We just took a CX-5 out for a test drive. Nice vehicle, but the one thing annoying us is that you can't use the touchscreen directly while you are driving, you have to switch to using a knob by the shifter. kind of defeats the point of having CarPlay.

The ride was smooth though, and the finishes were all very nice though.

My wife was actually interested in the smaller CX-3, but for whatever reason they decided not to offer CarPlay at all... we spend a lot of time in our cars, and the main reasons for upgrading were to get CarPlay and more safety features.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
I think you mean the Mazda CX-9. The CX-7 was discontinued in favor of the CX-5 more than 5 years ago.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Pacific wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 pm
Clever_Username wrote:
I think you mean the Mazda CX-9. The CX-7 was discontinued in favor of the CX-5 more than 5 years ago.
Correct. Well, at the time I meant CX-7, because I didn't know better. I haven't given "ooh, a new car" a thought in a while. I'm still driving my 2006 Mazda 3. :-)

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 am

MrTom wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 pm
We just took a CX-5 out for a test drive. Nice vehicle, but the one thing annoying us is that you can't use the touchscreen directly while you are driving, you have to switch to using a knob by the shifter. kind of defeats the point of having CarPlay.

The ride was smooth though, and the finishes were all very nice though.

My wife was actually interested in the smaller CX-3, but for whatever reason they decided not to offer CarPlay at all... we spend a lot of time in our cars, and the main reasons for upgrading were to get CarPlay and more safety features.
"Nice vehicle, but the one thing annoying us is that you can't use the touchscreen directly while you are driving, you have to switch to using a knob by the shifter."
The central knob control and voice commands are much faster in our CX-5 and you never take your eyes off the road.
YMMV of course.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:30 am

I recently took in my MX-5 for regular maintenance (15,000 miles), and it was about $80 (after a $15 coupon that the dealer had mailed me). But that was for synthetic oil, which of course is significantly more expensive, and labor might be higher in my area.

Speaking of maintenance costs, I got talked into a prepaid maintenance plan for our 2018 CX-5 when I bought the vehicle for cash. The F&I guy kept dropping the price and I finally went ahead with it. It hasn't cost me any more for service, from what I can tell, but the "savings" that the F&I showed me on his laminated chart have not materialized. The costs that I prepaid seem to be basically the same as what I am seeing out of pocket for my MX-5. And I can't take the CX-5 in for maintenance a little bit early - it has to be after a certain date, based on whatever the schedule calls for. It's a Mazda plan, and so I can take it for service to any dealer, which is good, but I'll never buy a plan like this again.

Back more on the subject at hand - we love our Grand Touring CX-5. It replaced a 2013 CX-5 GT, which we also loved, but the newer car feels more upscale and more modern. And I really like the exterior design. This was mentioned earlier, but the infotainment is one area where I feel that Mazda has lagged behind its rivals a bit. I'm still pondering whether to retrofit the 2018 vehicle for CarPlay (Mazda didn't adopt the technology until 2019 for the CX-5).

The availability of a hybrid almost led me to the RAV4 last year, but we are really happy with our CX-5, which is our fourth Mazda. The smaller brand does seem to have good loyalty. :happy
edgeway wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 pm
I've had 2 different mazdas and both had the most insanely low maintenance costs of any car I've ever owned. I recently traded in a CX-5 that I really, really loved (no complaints), and whenever I took it in for regularly scheduled maintenance, it cost me around $30 total for an oil change, tire rotation, and inspection. That's been my experience with Mazda maintenance costs for a long time. Back in the early 2000s, a CX-9 had $26 fees for scheduled maintenance.

david9117

Post by david9117 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 am

"Nice vehicle, but the one thing annoying us is that you can't use the touchscreen directly while you are driving, you have to switch to using a knob by the shifter."
The central knob control and voice commands are much faster in our CX-5 and you never take your eyes off the road.
YMMV of course.

I think this is a good safety feature. Avoids playing around with touchscreen. Annoying but I think we will be better off in the long run. Especially since the kids are going to get my CX-5 at some stage and I want their eyes on the road.

Topic Author
FinIndyGal

Post by FinIndyGal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback. I never realized that Mazda was such a small manufacturer. Even though I posted positive links about the CX-5, I personally know people who have had and don’t like Mazda’s in general. The only reason I was looking into the CX-5 is because I was disappointed in the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. They were originally my #1 and #2 choices IF I bought a CUV.

I like the looks of the CR-V more than the RAV4, but I crossed it off my list because it’s had tons of problems, and I don’t want a CVT due to all the bad things I’ve heard about those. When I test drove the RAV4 XLE Premium, I just didn’t like the rugged look or the interior – especially with the color upholstery that I’d get. I’m not crazy about the raised and thick infotainment screen, among other things. Just like the Camry, I felt the RAV4 had a little acceleration/sluggishness issues due to the new eight-speed transmission, but I’ve been driving a six-cylinder BMW for 20 years so probably anything is going to seem sluggish to me.

While sitting up higher and having the versatility of a CUV is appealing, I’ve now decided that I’m going back to my original plan of buying a sedan despite the trend of CUV’s. I’m going to get a 2020 Camry XLE four cylinder. I want a Toyota because of its long-term reliability and longevity, which are the most important things to me. I’m not in love with the RAV4 so that means I’m not getting a CUV. Even though I was trying to talk myself into the RAV4, the truth is, there are a lot more things that I like about the Camry, and I still like sedans for several reasons.

It’s also usually just me in my vehicle, and I don’t have dogs, kids or grandkids. The 2020 Camry also has more space than my current car, which has worked fine for me for 20 years. I like the interior and exterior much more than the RAV4. The Camry has a CD player where the RAV4 doesn’t. With a Camry, I can get leather trimmed without a sunroof where the RAV4 has SofTex (fake leather) and comes with a sunroof, which I’d rather not pay for again. Consumer Reports also recommends the 2019 Camry and rates it highly as to “Overall Reliability.” There are all greens in every category under “Potential Trouble Spots” except for one (in-car electronics), and I assume the 2020 will be better because they added Android Auto.

Besides, if I’m honest with myself, the only reason I truly considered a CUV in the first place is because that’s the trend now although it would be helpful when I move in the spring and other occasional times. The problem is I kept reading and listening to all the hype that sedans are going to be obsolete and was concerned that I’d have a problem later with parts and/or suffer severe depreciation.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 am

FinIndyGal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 am
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback. I never realized that Mazda was such a small manufacturer. Even though I posted positive links about the CX-5, I personally know people who have had and don’t like Mazda’s in general. The only reason I was looking into the CX-5 is because I was disappointed in the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. They were originally my #1 and #2 choices IF I bought a CUV.

I like the looks of the CR-V more than the RAV4, but I crossed it off my list because it’s had tons of problems, and I don’t want a CVT due to all the bad things I’ve heard about those. When I test drove the RAV4 XLE Premium, I just didn’t like the rugged look or the interior – especially with the color upholstery that I’d get. I’m not crazy about the raised and thick infotainment screen, among other things. Just like the Camry, I felt the RAV4 had a little acceleration/sluggishness issues due to the new eight-speed transmission, but I’ve been driving a six-cylinder BMW for 20 years so probably anything is going to seem sluggish to me.

While sitting up higher and having the versatility of a CUV is appealing, I’ve now decided that I’m going back to my original plan of buying a sedan despite the trend of CUV’s. I’m going to get a 2020 Camry XLE four cylinder. I want a Toyota because of its long-term reliability and longevity, which are the most important things to me. I’m not in love with the RAV4 so that means I’m not getting a CUV. Even though I was trying to talk myself into the RAV4, the truth is, there are a lot more things that I like about the Camry, and I still like sedans for several reasons.

It’s also usually just me in my vehicle, and I don’t have dogs, kids or grandkids. The 2020 Camry also has more space than my current car, which has worked fine for me for 20 years. I like the interior and exterior much more than the RAV4. The Camry has a CD player where the RAV4 doesn’t. With a Camry, I can get leather trimmed without a sunroof where the RAV4 has SofTex (fake leather) and comes with a sunroof, which I’d rather not pay for again. Consumer Reports also recommends the 2019 Camry and rates it highly as to “Overall Reliability.” There are all greens in every category under “Potential Trouble Spots” except for one (in-car electronics), and I assume the 2020 will be better because they added Android Auto.

Besides, if I’m honest with myself, the only reason I truly considered a CUV in the first place is because that’s the trend now although it would be helpful when I move in the spring and other occasional times. The problem is I kept reading and listening to all the hype that sedans are going to be obsolete and was concerned that I’d have a problem later with parts and/or suffer severe depreciation.
The Mazda with the turbo will compare favorably to a 20 year old BMW in terms of acceleration and driving dynamics. The interior of my Mazda is significantly nicer than my wife’s BMW.

IMO Consumer Reports reliability rankings are completely useless, so use at your own risk.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 am

Trader Joe wrote:

Ya, that's not what the head to head reviews would say. The three are extremely comparable brands in terms of quality. Mazda tends to be MUCH nicer than a "comparable" Toyota and most similar to Honda. Look at the cars and read reviews before making silly blanket statements.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:59 am

Second to Volvo, Mazda has some of the nicest appearance on their front ends in their current lineup.

Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 am

My wife has a 2017 CX-5 in the GT trim level. She really likes it and at 42,000 miles so far, it has given us no trouble. We had to drive 60 miles round trip to get to the nearest Mazda dealer. We test drove the RAV-4, CR-V, HR-V, the Murano, the Outback and a Sportage before she settled on the Mazda. We thought that the Mazda offered the most 'bang for the buck' compared to the others, and Mazda was offering 0.9% financing, which also factored in the decision.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:40 pm

FinIndyGal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:15 am

The CX-5 Turbo will not feel sluggish..trust me.
Why not test drive one? Those that do usually buy, they sell themselves. You made the thread inquiring about the CX-5, received great feedback, but won't even test drive?