Office etiquette - gift to ex boss?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pomegranate

Office etiquette - gift to ex boss?

Post by Pomegranate »

I'm working for a Megacorp and I recently change the department. I had a very positive experience with my ex boss and would like to show some sign of appreciation. Would a restaurant gift card or a bottle of good wine make sense? Modern HR practices are super weird so I do not want to get into troubles because of that :annoyed
TomatoTomahto

Re: Office etiquette - gift to ex boss?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

A warm conversation, where you describe the sentiment that prompted this thread, will be more appreciated. A gift, IMO, would be awkward.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

I bet that a nice, hand-written, note expressing you appreciation for his/her help and guidance would be very much appreciated.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Post by 123 »

Anything more than a note or card to a current or former manager/superior can make for an awkward situation. You want to keep the focus on the business relationship.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Pomegranate wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:17 pm I'm working for a Megacorp and I recently change the department. I had a very positive experience with my ex boss and would like to show some sign of appreciation. Would a restaurant gift card or a bottle of good wine make sense? Modern HR practices are super weird so I do not want to get into troubles because of that :annoyed
Wine or a gift card as a thank you is the way to go. No HR issues.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

If the boss retired, no problem. If the boss is still working at the company, gifts are a no-no.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

stop by, shake their hand, and express your appreciation for their support.

most people at a megacorp would think that one should not go beyond that (the above) in the workplace.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

I like a letter or note now and a gift at retirement(the retirement of your ex boss)
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

A verbal thank you, or a handwritten note is the most you should do,at least in the US business culture.

I would be very embarrassed by an employee who was leaving giving me a gift.

I do understand that this can be different in other cultures, but I assume you are asking about the US.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Why not a lunch together and you take the tab
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I love the idea of a handwritten note. Those are not the norm, but are totally acceptable, these days.

I've had drinks w/ my ex-boss. I would totally get him a bottle of wine. That said, our relationship would make that not awkward. Totally depends on how your relationship is w/ yours.