How much do you spend on clothing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
notmyhand

How much do you spend on clothing?

Post by notmyhand » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:45 pm

How much do you spend annually on clothing for the family if you are a two professional + kids household?

I spent $2500 last year and tried to dial it back to $1000 this year but it must have been noticed as I was told I should spend more money on accessories and shoes and replace key pieces annually. I can live in sweat pants and old tshirts at home but work pieces (blazers, shoes, bags, pants) are so expensive! Since $1000 is too little, is $2500 the correct amount or ? What do you all spend?

ram

Re: How much do you spend on clothing?

Post by ram » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:58 pm

I suspect this depends on :
- How long you have been at the job that requires this level of clothing at work.
- How steady/ variable is your body size.
As I get older but with a fairly steady body size $1000/yr is more than enough for me and I suspect $2000 is enough for my wife.
Ram

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:01 pm

For myself and 2 kids (7yr old daughter and 4yr old son): <$500 combined. I have a professional career, but clothing lasts me forever (I have slacks and work shirts that are well over a decade old). For my wife...I prefer to not know. She has a side hustle that makes $200-$400/month and has a separate account for that income, the huge majority of it goes to clothes.

student

Post by student » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 pm

I spent about $2000 a year several years ago. Now, I don't spend as much. As a professor, I don't have to dress nice. :D :D :D

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:04 pm

The past few years I've been averaging $2,000 - 3,000 / year for clothes (Work attire and weekend). Mostly a mix of seasonal items and replacing core wardrobe items.

What field of work are you in? In my experience as long as you look put together and everything is in good repair, then most items should last you 3-5 years before looking dated. If you are deliberately buying stylish trendy outfits and have them on a bi-weekly rotation then, I can see those having a shorter shelf life.

You can use accessories to help diversify your outfit on a budget; pocket squares, scarves, ties, and belts, etc… can really augment more neutral toned staples like jackets and blazers.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Google “professional capsule wardrobe”. Pick 2 neutral colors and build from there.

Build a mix & match wardrobe spending what you are comfortable with. You don’t need a lot of accessories or shoes. Just some well maintained classics.

You owe it to an employer to have clean, and professional look. Nothing dirty, torn, or warn. Shoes should be polished and in good shape unless you work outdoors or something.

$1000 for 2 adults and children seems almost impossible to do. I had an employee who spent nothing on his wardrobe. It spoke volumes.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:14 pm

PoppyA wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm

You owe it to an employer to have clean, and professional look.
One could easily argue the inverse, that employers should foot the bill for a professional wardrobe. In Japan, company provided uniforms is the social norm.

Figuring out the unspoken rules of appropriate work-attire for a specific office or role is a soft-skill that a large minority of employees don't bother to figure out.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:49 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:14 pm
PoppyA wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm

You owe it to an employer to have clean, and professional look.
One could easily argue the inverse, that employers should foot the bill for a professional wardrobe. In Japan, company provided uniforms is the social norm.

Figuring out the unspoken rules of appropriate work-attire for a specific office or role is a soft-skill that a large minority of employees don't bother to figure out.
I have a very public-facing position in my company - public speaking, TV, webinars/social media live videos at least weekly, meeting with VIPs (ie. I met with the CEO, GM, and medical staff of a professional basketball team on Monday) - and I've never once been told by our almost unbelievably conservative executive council that my dress wasn't up to par. IMO, it isn't at all difficult to dress professionally on a small budget; it has more to do with getting clothing that fits right, staying in shape yourself, taking good care of the clothing, etc. They did buy me a suit for an engagement where I was speaking in front of 35k people 2yrs ago and I regularly wear it for more important events.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:00 pm

notmyhand wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:45 pm
but it must have been noticed as I was told I should spend more money on accessories and shoes and replace key pieces annually
By who? The clothes police? :shock:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:38 pm

I had a job where I dressed down -- jeans, running shoes, polo shirt.

Didn't have to spend much money on clothes.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:45 pm

Depends. Recently a fair amount. I lost about 30 pounds and I have a kid who is growing like crazy.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:55 pm

$0 in at least 80% of all years.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:06 pm

This depends a ton on what industry you are in and your specific position. Our clothing budgets aren't likely to be very helpful for you.

But since you mention kids... What ages? Are you open to second hand clothing for them? Once Upon A Child franchises may have good deals especially for clothes for younger kids and for special event clothing that likely only was worn a couple times by the first buyer and may also only be worn a couple times by your kid before you resell it.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:52 pm

The total for my wife, me, and one kid would be around $500 for the year. Most of this amount is for our five-year-old daughter. We spend another couple hundred per year on shoes as well.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:11 pm

$100 a year including shoes
Last edited by iamblessed on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm

For one person: I spent $484 last year, including a new winter coat, which I did not need and in retrospect, should not have purchased. This year I've spent $179. Most of my clothes are from Kohls and the Columbia outlet store. Note that this does not include running shoes, as those are a separate line item in my budget.

For the first time in my career, I am working from home a couple of days a week and this has drastically decreased my clothing budget relative to previous years. I dress professionally, but have scaled back the "dress to impress" plan at work.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:20 pm

I didn't remember when the last time I bought new clothes was.

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:24 pm

I'm not a professional but I do work in an office setting. As far as clothes go, I bought into the minimalist movement years ago. I own 6 of the same pair of pants and the same with dress shirts and polo shirts. All black. All my clothes were purchased on Amazon and are part of the Amazon Essentials line. The quality is excellent and wear very well and easy to wash and iron.

Steve Jobs is the most famous person who wears a capsule wardrobe or the same uniform everyday, the same with Mark Zuckerberg. I like the idea because it frees you of the worry about what you are going to wear every day. I find myself even wearing it on the weekends now, which is something fairly new. Black is always in style and when you find the right pair of pants and shirts that fit you well, you always feel comfortable.

I do know this is a bit eccentric but it works for me and I'm at a point in my life that that is all that matters. I spend less than $500 per year.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:28 pm

notmyhand wrote:
I spent $2500 last year and tried to dial it back to $1000 this year but it must have been noticed as I was told I should spend more money on accessories and shoes and replace key pieces annually...Since $1000 is too little, is $2500 the correct amount or ?
I am not sure what other people spend is relevant to your situation.

If you were told you should spend more by a manager/mentor/trusted colleague at work, then your budget should likely be higher than $1,000 and you should aim for high-quality, classic, well-tailored pieces that can be combined multiple ways.

If you were told this by dates/family/close friends, again maybe you need to rethink amount spent and what you are buying with it.

Anyone else, it’s up to you whether you heed their “advice”.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:20 pm

notmyhand wrote:
How much do you spend annually on clothing for the family if you are a two professional + kids household?

I spent $2500 last year and tried to dial it back to $1000 this year but it must have been noticed as I was told I should spend more money on accessories and shoes and replace key pieces annually. I can live in sweat pants and old tshirts at home but work pieces (blazers, shoes, bags, pants) are so expensive! Since $1000 is too little, is $2500 the correct amount or ? What do you all spend?
If others are noticing, this is a significant piece of information. I would listen to this feedback and take corrective action.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:48 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:01 pm
For myself and 2 kids (7yr old daughter and 4yr old son): <$500 combined. I have a professional career, but clothing lasts me forever (I have slacks and work shirts that are well over a decade old). For my wife...I prefer to not know. She has a side hustle that makes $200-$400/month and has a separate account for that income, the huge majority of it goes to clothes.
I am like you! I know I don't spend as much for me, I would rather not know what my wife spends on clothes :P

ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:57 am

Professional clothes are a bit of an upfront cost. I probably have $4000 worth of suits/blazers but these only need to be replaced every few years (assuming negligible weight gain/loss), but you can get pretty good tailored suits for $500-800 now. I would say $2500 is probably accurate for professional dress. A dress shirt can easily be $100, dress shoes easily $300, and the associated dry cleaning bills. I assume you're a woman based on the "accessories" line (really the only men's accessory is a watch). From my wife's perspective, professional dress for women can definitely be cheaper but often needs to be replaced more often do to lower quality (especially shoes). She finds it really frustrating and I see why.

Edit to add I found the comments made to you unprofessional. I don't see why a professional wardrobe needs "updating" and additional accessories.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am

It's more about the fit than the price. I recommend using one of those traveling tailors that come from Asia. They set up shop for one or two days in a hotel, and they will take your measurements and make you a fantastic suit at some insanely low price. It would be better if you could go in for multiple fittings, of course, but even a suit tailored for you over one fitting would be better than anything you could buy in the store.

My spending on clothes is very sporadic. I spent $500 on three pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes (factory seconds) many years ago and am still wearing them. I spent I think $2000 on suits many years ago and those I don't intend to change for a quite a while. I haven't changed my casual shirts and pants in I think 8 or 9 years, but I did spend quite a bit stocking up on undershirts because the shop I liked was going bankrupt.

I think it averages out to maybe $500 a year at the most, and probably less than that, and I'm including everything, like shirts, underwear, shoes, socks, etc.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 am

Zero for me. I get whatever my son no longer wants.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:35 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am
I recommend using one of those traveling tailors that come from Asia. They set up shop for one or two days in a hotel, and they will take your measurements and make you a fantastic suit at some insanely low price. It would be better if you could go in for multiple fittings, of course, but even a suit tailored for you over one fitting would be better than anything you could buy in the store.
Which cities to they visit? How do you find them?

Thank you,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 am

An amount that would that would scramble the brains of those that have already commented in this thread I imagine. But we like to look fresh.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:04 am

I spend $100 every year to buy the exact same pair of shoes, and maybe another $50-$100 if I need to replace one of my three shirts or two pair of pants.

Most days I literally am just in undershirt and underwear, since I work from home. When I speak at a seminar, it’s just whatever I throw on, because it’s my company and I run the seminar, so I wear whatever I want and I don’t care if attendees think it’s unprofessional (I already have a widely known and intentionally cultivated reputation for this, so people that care about such things just don’t pay to attend).
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:10 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:35 am
Caduceus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am
I recommend using one of those traveling tailors that come from Asia. They set up shop for one or two days in a hotel, and they will take your measurements and make you a fantastic suit at some insanely low price. It would be better if you could go in for multiple fittings, of course, but even a suit tailored for you over one fitting would be better than anything you could buy in the store.
Which cities to they visit? How do you find them?

Thank you,
Victoria
They'll do most of the major cities: NYC, LA, SF, Seattle, Chicago, maybe Philadelphia, Boston, DC. depending on the tailor. Suits usually start around $1000 for the cheaper tailors and have starting prices around $2000 for the higher end tailors. For reference, a suit from a Saville Row tailor would probably start around $5000, and the end product from Hong Kong is close to if not the same quality.

I don't use them so not the best help of how to find them. The best deals seem to come from a contact that knows a guy who knows a tailor that's visiting your city in a month. Generally searching for Hong Kong or Singapore traveling tailors will pull up something.

I prefer to go with other made-to-measure options like Black Lapel. Once you have your measurements figured out it's a great deal with high quality suits starting around $700-800. Probably there are some details missing that people ordering $5000 suits would notice, but I'm ignorant to those and happy with the end result.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:41 pm

BalancedJCB19 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:24 pm
I'm not a professional but I do work in an office setting. As far as clothes go, I bought into the minimalist movement years ago. I own 6 of the same pair of pants and the same with dress shirts and polo shirts. All black. All my clothes were purchased on Amazon and are part of the Amazon Essentials line. The quality is excellent and wear very well and easy to wash and iron.

Steve Jobs is the most famous person who wears a capsule wardrobe or the same uniform everyday, the same with Mark Zuckerberg. I like the idea because it frees you of the worry about what you are going to wear every day. I find myself even wearing it on the weekends now, which is something fairly new. Black is always in style and when you find the right pair of pants and shirts that fit you well, you always feel comfortable.

I do know this is a bit eccentric but it works for me and I'm at a point in my life that that is all that matters. I spend less than $500 per year.
I can see myself following this.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:27 pm

I just said told a friend "I'm glad I didn't go into finance since I don't wear ties or like to dress up". I've lived in jeans (mostly) and a polo with black shoes for the last 15+ years. Other than a funeral I haven't worn a tie or suit (and probably don't have one that fits). I just don't see the point, especially in tech.

I won't name the company but one consulting firm that is known for dressing up, I managed to work for and never once wore a tie. And no one ever commented to me about it.

As long as the clothing isn't offensive I think much of dressing up is pointless unless it is your style.

I rarely buy clothes. I think I have enough that I could wear a different shirt (excluding t-shirts) for a few months. I keep telling family to stop buying me clothes.

Obviously some careers are more fashion minded (legal) so your budget is going to vary. Comparing it to others is pointless IMO.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:33 pm

scubadiver wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:41 pm
BalancedJCB19 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:24 pm

I can see myself following this.
One of the perks of my job is a lot of swag. I wear a company-branded polo probably 95% of my workdays (I have ~10, in a variety of colors). I also get at least a dozen t-shirts a year. I've spent <$100 on shirts of any kind over the last 5yrs.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:39 pm

My biggest purchase is two pairs of new balance shoes each year. I am hard on shoes. My newest coat is 3 yrs old. Several new tops and pants this year due to weight lost. Since I buy from lands end I don’t pay really expensive prices, I think I have spent about 1200 in the last 12 months.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Shoutout to the OP for gently reminding me that I need to get the pocket sewn on my 20 year old ski coat. Thank you!

Scubadiver

pomomojo

Post by pomomojo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:37 pm

$3-3.5k for Mr.
$2k for Mrs.

We both work in professional environments, and clothing is a hobby for me.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 pm

A bit under 1% of net income.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 pm

On average $450 monthly.
Not sure how two professionals with 2 kids stay under $2500 (and look good) but maybe I just don't know how to shop.

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 pm

This weekend I made a large, but average yearly expenditure: $3375 for 1 m2m suit and 1 m2m blazer. We also spend perhaps $3k for my wife, who needs high quality clothes for a professional job.

These items last a long time, and I can’t imagine going back to lower cost, lower quality clothing.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 pm

$6,300/yr is the average for the last 5 years. That's theoretically two retired people, but actually some are items for grown kids. Eventually the 'what do you spend' threads tend to round out from what seem very low numbers to me to ones similar or higher than what we spend, on most categories and on total budgets.

If we had to spend less we would spend less. If we wanted to spend more we would do that. Not much more to it than that. In a work environment though I think it really depends on the industry, location, position and not just what you think yourself. In some corporate cultures it might actually be a negative to have too nice new clothes all the time at work. In other ones any hint of what others perceive as seedy, even if you really don't think so, is hurting you professionally.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Far more for the kids than for Mom and Dad.

Can't wait for them to achieve a vertical steady state.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ