Extended Stay in Las Vegas - nearby hiking?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Extended Stay in Las Vegas - nearby hiking?

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:37 am

I have an opportunity to work 3 days/week in Las Vegas, this coming February - April. So, I will have a good amount of free time.

I would like to keep up with my fitness program. I prefer walking and hiking, but not steep or rigorous trails.

Anyone know of such trails nearby the Las Vegas area? thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

drekce

Re: Extended Stay in Las Vegas - nearby hiking?

Post by drekce » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 am

Red Rock Canyon. A short drive from the strip and plenty of great trails and scenery.

a_movable_life

Post by a_movable_life » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 am

Take a look a little West and North. Some of the trails are overnights but worth the 2-4 hour drive.
I'm in Reno and have been "Told" where I am going after I leave here.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 am

I would second Red Rock Canyon. You could also take a weekend hike through the Grand Canyon, which is just a few hours away. Either camp or stay in one of the excellent onsite hotels--I'd recommend the El Tovar.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:07 am

drekce wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 am
Red Rock Canyon. A short drive from the strip and plenty of great trails and scenery.
+1

Red Rock Canyon has numerous trails with varying difficulty, I enjoyed my day there.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:57 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:37 am
I have an opportunity to work 3 days/week in Las Vegas, this coming February - April. So, I will have a good amount of free time.

I would like to keep up with my fitness program. I prefer walking and hiking, but not steep or rigorous trails.

Red Rock Canyon is fun and is almost in the city (west side). It's a drive through small park with some hiking trails and excellent for an afternoon. But with four days off each week, you're going to want to do more.

Head up to Valley of Fire State Park near the north tip of Lake Mead off of I-15. Amazing park (worthy of National Park status and indeed carved out of Lake Mead National Recreation Area). In spring, (or fall) you can actually spend time walking around in cool/warm temperatures and not broil in the 115F+ temps of the summer.

Since you have multiple days off at once, keep going on I-15 for two hours or so up to Zion National Park. Absolutely magnificent park with nearly unlimited hiking. Easy hikes in the bottom of Zion Canyon, and more challenging hikes up the canyon walls or up Angels Landing (I recommend excellent hiking shoes and gloves for Angels Landing).

Zion is fantastic any time of year, but fall/spring is magnificent, crowds are gone, and trees are beautiful. A day trip from Vegas OR stay overnight for a few nights on your off days. Stay in Springdale or even the park lodge has good deals this time of year. Don't forget about Kolob Canyon side of Zion National Park. Beautiful hikes, and much more remote than Zion canyon.

For a very long weekend, keep going through the Zion Mt Carmel tunnel to Bryce. An extra 2.5 hours each way between Zion and Bryce. Bryce is gorgeous, easier hiking than Zion, and a smaller park. It's going to be cold up there so dress appropriately for night time. Snow on the Hoodoos is gorgeous.

Or head east from Vegas to Grand Canyon. Or west to Joshua Tree (stay in nearby Palm Springs or closer in 29 Palms.

So many fantastic options. Good local hiking near Boulder City too.

With 4 days off at once, I'd also be tempted by Yosemite, but that's a long haul up to the Sierra Nevadas if you don't want to drive far.
Last edited by criticalmass on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galectin

Post by galectin » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:01 am

Check out the free AllTrails app or website. It has info and reviews about trails in that area. Degree of difficulty and tral length is included. There are a number of trails listed in the Red Rock Canyon area that other posters have mentioned.

BillyK

Post by BillyK » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:45 am

The River Mountain Loop Trail near Lake Mead is a 34 long paved trail. Then there are non paved trails along it. There are a lot of different places to park along its way. It is part of the Lake Mead recreational area. There are great views of Lake Mead and In some locations you can still see the Las Vegas strip skyline in the distance.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:36 pm

There is also nearby Mount Charleston but it will likely be snow-covered at the time you're in Vegas.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Recommend both Red rock and Valley of fire.
Ram

Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:37 am

Valley of Fire. I fly there annually from East Cost, one of my favorite places on the planet.
Death Valley is another great option and it's quit close.