I am planning a vacation within USA for about a week, and need to rent a car. This topic has been discussed many times, but the information is scattered, adn this is my attempt to bring it together and personalize for myself.
There are three factors I am considering:
1. Rating of the car rental company
I checked the google rating of the car rental companies off the airport where I am flying.
Top three were:
National - 4.4 rating / 1320 reviews
Alamo - 4.4 rating / 741 reviews
Enterprise - 4.2 rating / 1664 reviews
2. Cost of rental
I found Costco rental to be the cheapest than the websites or search engines. Below are the cost-wise rankings in ascending order:
3. Avis or Budget (depending on the car class)
Looks like the winner is Alamo depending on these 2 factors.
I am going to use Chase Freedom card for car booking. According to their website, looks like they will cover the reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft.
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/ben ... condary_v1
When I go to download the detailed policy, the front page says "Visa Platinum". I am not sure whether Freedom is Visa Platinum card.
I have Geico insurance. According to their website FAQs, looks like my policy is extended to rental cars.
Geico FAQ: Does my auto policy cover a rental car for vacation / pleasure?
-----Yes. The comprehensive, collision, and liability coverages on your auto policy will extend to the rental car (at the same limits/deductibles that you currently carry) provided the following conditions are met:
• The rental period is 30 days or fewer
• The rental is a private passenger vehicle ?
• The rental is used for personal use in the United States, Canada, or U.S. Possessions ?
• The rental is rented in your and/or your spouse's or eligible partner's name
• The rental is being operated by you, your spouse/eligible partner or other relatives in your household and the operator is an authorized driver on the rental contract
• You do not need to purchase the Collision Deductible Waiver ? from the rental agency; however, in the event of a loss to the rental car, you will be responsible for paying your policy's collision deductible.
• The expenses to rent a car would not be reimbursed by GEICO.
- My question is, for insurance, do I need to explain anything about insurance situation when I pick up my car? i.e. do I have to explicitly state whether the insurance is covered by Geico or Chase?
- The website address that I listed above does not explicitly state that this insurance is for Chase Freedom. Do I need to get a formal letter from Chase?
- Do I need to get formal letter from Geico?
- In case of damage / theft, what should I actually use? Credit card insurance or Geico insurance?
- Anything else that I am missing, or need to know?