Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
NavyIC3
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by NavyIC3 »

Need a cell phone for occasional use. Must be able to text. Any ideas?
mhalley
Posts: 8421
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by mhalley »

Clark Howard usually has the best deals listed at his site. You can see what works best for your data usage.
https://clark.com/cell-phones/best-cell ... ans-deals/
For occasional use, tello might be good $10 a month.
https://clark.com/cell-phones/tello-mobile-review/
Last edited by mhalley on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Senti
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Senti »

https://clark.com/cell-phones/best-cell ... als/#light

See under "Best Cheap Cell Phone Plans" ... All the plans seem to have unlimited texts.
beehivehave
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by beehivehave »

NavyIC3 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:54 am Need a cell phone for occasional use. Must be able to text. Any ideas?
If all you need is talk and text, there are many cheap pay-as-you-go flip phone plans. There are also many custom pre-paid plans that will cost you no more than $5-$10 a month. I would start with pay-as-you-go to see if that meets your needs.
runner3081
Posts: 3565
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by runner3081 »

Tello?

Get a Sprint compatible phone and go with Tello (if Sprint is okay in your area). As low as $5 per month (100 min and 100 texts) https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans

Have been with Tello for 4 months on the 1GB plan for $6 and have had zero issues as my main cell phone.

Also, look at FreeUp Mobile. They have a free plan with 250 talk or text - at no cost (other than shipping and sim purchase).
https://www.freeupmobile.com/shop/plans-and-features

Have had this plan for about 8-months on my daughter's old iPhone.
beehivehave
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by beehivehave »

This is one of the most discussed subjects on the internet.
Example:
https://www.mymoneyblog.com/list-of-che ... month.html
an_asker
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by an_asker »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am Tello?

Get a Sprint compatible phone and go with Tello (if Sprint is okay in your area). As low as $5 per month (100 min and 100 texts) https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans

Have been with Tello for 4 months on the 1GB plan for $6 and have had zero issues as my main cell phone.

Also, look at FreeUp Mobile. They have a free plan with 250 talk or text - at no cost (other than shipping and sim purchase).
https://www.freeupmobile.com/shop/plans-and-features

Have had this plan for about 8-months on my daughter's old iPhone.
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
yohac
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by yohac »

If it's for VERY low use, T-Mobile's paygo plan at three bucks a month is the best deal I know of from a major carrier.

Edit: Looks like that plan has been farmed out to Ultra Mobile. Never mind.
Last edited by yohac on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
student
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by student »

Do you have cable? If so, both comcast and charter essentially give the service to you for free.
MathWizard
Posts: 4337
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by MathWizard »

We've had the best luck with tracfone.

Buy a phone, tracfone has new Galaxy S7's and iphone 7s's , for around $200, then
service (1200 min talk, 1200 text, 1.2GB dat per year) is $100. This does not expire
as long as you keep service active.
I use it so little that I buy online, and once you buy the $100 1 year service with the minutes,
you can extend the term by a year, so I replace my old tracfone with an older iphone ( it was $200),
and I bought one year of service with minutes, and 2 years of extended service.

Total cost $400 including phone for 3 years.
02nz
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by 02nz »

I've been happy with Red Pocket, which lets you choose any of the four carriers. $5/mo for the minimum plan, if you buy a year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404

Mint Mobile (T-Mobile only) is a good choice if you need more data.
User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2288
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by sunny_socal »

If only needed a single line and wanted cheap and good: Mint

But we need 4 lines so Cricket.
sixty40
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by sixty40 »

I too use tracfone, pay as you go, I buy the 1yr plan for $100, 1200 minutes talk, 1200 texts, 1.2gb data. I usually run out of texts and data before the yr is up, so I buy 1000 texts for $5 and 1gb data for $10, can also buy 1000 talk minutes for $10, all carries over when you renew. They also have many other plans and options. Very good if you don’t use much data. Been with them for more than 15ys.
LifeIsGood
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by LifeIsGood »

Here's a deal with Sprint via Red Pocket that gives you 200 Talk, 1000 Text and 200MB data for $2.50/month https://www.ebay.com/itm/133196831828
terran
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by terran »

02nz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am I've been happy with Red Pocket, which lets you choose any of the four carriers. $5/mo for the minimum plan, if you buy a year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404
+1
stinkycat
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:40 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by stinkycat »

I tend to use H2O wireless. You can get away with as little as $10 every 3 months. The unused balance rolls over if you renew before the 3 months is up.
AgentOrange
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by AgentOrange »

02nz wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am I've been happy with Red Pocket, which lets you choose any of the four carriers. $5/mo for the minimum plan, if you buy a year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404

Mint Mobile (T-Mobile only) is a good choice if you need more data.

I just started with Red Pocket, and it looks like it will work out well for me.
Bought an older model unlocked iPhone, got the carrier SIM from Red Pocket, and am up and running with the $5/mo plan.
Previously I was paying $6 month with VIrgin mobile for a flip phone.
02nz
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by 02nz »

sixty40 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 pm I too use tracfone, pay as you go, I buy the 1yr plan for $100, 1200 minutes talk, 1200 texts, 1.2gb data. I usually run out of texts and data before the yr is up, so I buy 1000 texts for $5 and 1gb data for $10, can also buy 1000 talk minutes for $10, all carries over when you renew. They also have many other plans and options. Very good if you don’t use much data. Been with them for more than 15ys.
The same $100 for a year would get you 500 MB, 500 texts, and 500 minutes PER MONTH on Red Pocket, and you can choose any of the four carriers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-25-Mo-Red-Po ... 3051277200

Or with Tracfone you could get the same number of minutes and texts but 3 GB of data for $50:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepa ... 3448464240

These ebay listings are both direct from Red Pocket/Tracfone themselves, not third-party.
sixty40
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by sixty40 »

02nz wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:39 am
sixty40 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 pm I too use tracfone, pay as you go, I buy the 1yr plan for $100, 1200 minutes talk, 1200 texts, 1.2gb data. I usually run out of texts and data before the yr is up, so I buy 1000 texts for $5 and 1gb data for $10, can also buy 1000 talk minutes for $10, all carries over when you renew. They also have many other plans and options. Very good if you don’t use much data. Been with them for more than 15ys.
The same $100 for a year would get you 500 MB, 500 texts, and 500 minutes PER MONTH on Red Pocket, and you can choose any of the four carriers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-25-Mo-Red-Po ... 3051277200

Or with Tracfone you could get the same number of minutes and texts but 3 GB of data for $50:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepa ... 3448464240

These ebay listings are both direct from Red Pocket/Tracfone themselves, not third-party.
That IS a good deal, I'll have to look into Red Pocket, Thanks. I've been happy with Tracfone but maybe it's time for a switch. Have to consider that Red Pocket minutes do not carry over while Tracfone minutes do.
jjface
Posts: 3071
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by jjface »

**As others have mentioned this is what to buy if you want tracfone:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepa ... 3448464240

Select "I am not sure" and they send you a sim pack and the airtime pin that you can add to your existing account. You can discard the sim pack. That is the cheapest way to extend your service for a year.


**For redpocket they have the $30 A YEAR sprint plan already mentioned.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-50-Mo-Red-Po ... 3196831828

Or the $60 100 min/100text/500mb plan. That is the annual cost. The allotments are per month and do not rollover. But you can choose any of the 4 networks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Mo-Red-Pocke ... 3058476404

Right now get 10% off with code POWERTEN until the 13th Oct on both redpocket and tracfone ebay plans.


**Tello has decent plans on sprint starting at $5/month. Do note their paygo requires a top up every 90 days now so it not good value.
**Ultramobile has the $3 paygo plan with 30 mins/texts and you can add data on extra. Only good if you use very little.
**Freeup mobile has free 250 mins/texts. ATT. All you have to do is log in each month and even then apparently they have been autorenewing people.
**Pageplus (verizon) has a $10 every 90 days paygo card. So max $40 a year
**H20 has the same (ATT)
GeMoney
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:15 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by GeMoney »

an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am Tello?

Get a Sprint compatible phone and go with Tello (if Sprint is okay in your area). As low as $5 per month (100 min and 100 texts) https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans

Have been with Tello for 4 months on the 1GB plan for $6 and have had zero issues as my main cell phone.

Also, look at FreeUp Mobile. They have a free plan with 250 talk or text - at no cost (other than shipping and sim purchase).
https://www.freeupmobile.com/shop/plans-and-features

Have had this plan for about 8-months on my daughter's old iPhone.
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Regarding Tello's Pay As You Go plan, they recently changed their terms of service (without informing anybody) to the following:

"Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 10, 2019."

The minimum top up pay as you go credit is $20 so $6.67/mo. I'll likely be switching to their monthly plan starting on Dec 10. For $7/mo you can get 300 minutes + 500mg data or 100 minutes + 1gb data a month
User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by dm200 »

May not apply to your situation - but our son added DW and I to his Sprint plan - there are four phones on the plan for only about $50 for BOTH DW and I. Try to find someone with a group plan that you can be added on.
an_asker
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by an_asker »

GeMoney wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am [...]
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Regarding Tello's Pay As You Go plan, they recently changed their terms of service (without informing anybody) to the following:

"Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 10, 2019."

The minimum top up pay as you go credit is $20 so $6.67/mo. I'll likely be switching to their monthly plan starting on Dec 10. For $7/mo you can get 300 minutes + 500mg data or 100 minutes + 1gb data a month
Hmmm! Thanks for sharing this information. I had no idea. :oops:
Tdubs
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Tdubs »

an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am Tello?

Get a Sprint compatible phone and go with Tello (if Sprint is okay in your area). As low as $5 per month (100 min and 100 texts) https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans

Have been with Tello for 4 months on the 1GB plan for $6 and have had zero issues as my main cell phone.

Also, look at FreeUp Mobile. They have a free plan with 250 talk or text - at no cost (other than shipping and sim purchase).
https://www.freeupmobile.com/shop/plans-and-features

Have had this plan for about 8-months on my daughter's old iPhone.
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Interested. How does Tello do with wireless to cell hand off? I have a cheap Republic plan now, but this is much less expensive.
almostretired1965
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by almostretired1965 »

You can get Tracfone even cheaper now, less than $5 a month. On ebay, they sell a one-year plan targeted at getting byop people to switch to Tracfone, but current customers can also use it. Normally $50 for 1200 min/1200 text/3GB data and 1 year service time. If you are willing to swap sims, T-mobile and ATT&T service has gone as low as $40. If you don't want to swap sims (or are on Verizon), just select "I don't know" on the dropbox for carrier, and they will send you all 3 sims and a one year card that you can then add directly to your phone without changing sims.

Their cheap phones, however, are kind of garbage. There are occasionally attractive deals but they tend to be infrequent. A few month ago there was an Amazon offer for a Moto G6 for $80 + 2 month service with 1200/1200/3GB that I jumped on, but it was only available for a week or two. If you are OK with a crappy phone, there are bundled deals with 1 year of service and 1200 or 1500 min/texts and 1.2 or 1.5 GB data for $60 to $80 (and occasionally even lower) that are almost always available at HSN or ebay.

Can you tell I've spent entirely too much time looking into this?

A
MathWizard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:18 am We've had the best luck with tracfone.

Buy a phone, tracfone has new Galaxy S7's and iphone 7s's , for around $200, then
service (1200 min talk, 1200 text, 1.2GB dat per year) is $100. This does not expire
as long as you keep service active.
I use it so little that I buy online, and once you buy the $100 1 year service with the minutes,
you can extend the term by a year, so I replace my old tracfone with an older iphone ( it was $200),
and I bought one year of service with minutes, and 2 years of extended service.

Total cost $400 including phone for 3 years.
an_asker
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by an_asker »

Tdubs wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am [...]
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Interested. How does Tello do with wireless to cell hand off? I have a cheap Republic plan now, but this is much less expensive.
I don't understand the question - would you mind rephrasing please?
LSLover
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by LSLover »

Those of you who prepay your annual plan on Red Pocket or any other MVNO, do you get charged local cell phone taxes/fees monthly, upfront, or not at all?
User avatar
9to5er
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by 9to5er »

Tdubs wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am Tello?
Interested. How does Tello do with wireless to cell hand off? I have a cheap Republic plan now, but this is much less expensive.
I too had Republic Wireless and switched to Tello. RW maximizes use of WiFi and will "hand-off" to cellular only when WiFi is not available. Tello uses the cellular network for all calls, even if WiFi is available, so there isn't any hand-off when you go in and out of WiFi areas. Where WiFi counts with Tello is anytime you pass data. I use some of the tricks I learned with RW to minimize use of app data/background data use to keep easily than the 500MB/month limit. Of course, since the calls are all over cellular, my wife had to go with the unlimited minutes, whereas I save a couple bucks/month with the 500 minutes option. You do have to pay for the Tello SIM card, but you'll get the same amount credit if you find someone else to use your referral link. :)
User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 9769
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by JoMoney »

LSLover wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 am Those of you who prepay your annual plan on Red Pocket or any other MVNO, do you get charged local cell phone taxes/fees monthly, upfront, or not at all?
Whatever taxes are involved were already included in my pre-paid plan.
I'm using Speed Talk Mobile's $99 a year plan
https://www.amazon.com/Year-Prepaid-GSM ... B01LZNJ3DV

500min Talk, Unlimited Text, 1GB 4G LTE data [T-Mobile MVNO]
They have a lot of other plans, but I thought this was the best value for my usage.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Tdubs
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Tdubs »

Tdubs wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am
runner3081 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am Tello?
Interested. How does Tello do with wireless to cell hand off? I have a cheap Republic plan now, but this is much less expensive.
I too had Republic Wireless and switched to Tello. RW maximizes use of WiFi and will "hand-off" to cellular only when WiFi is not available. Tello uses the cellular network for all calls, even if WiFi is available, so there isn't any hand-off when you go in and out of WiFi areas. Where WiFi counts with Tello is anytime you pass data. I use some of the tricks I learned with RW to minimize use of app data/background data use to keep easily than the 500MB/month limit. Of course, since the calls are all over cellular, my wife had to go with the unlimited minutes, whereas I save a couple bucks/month with the 500 minutes option. You do have to pay for the Tello SIM card, but you'll get the same amount credit if you find someone else to use your referral link. :)
Ah, so even if I walk into my house, I'm still on cell? That sounds like a fast way to chew up data without knowing it, especially for some family members who don't think about data.
Tdubs
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Tdubs »

an_asker wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 am
Tdubs wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:17 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am [...]
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Interested. How does Tello do with wireless to cell hand off? I have a cheap Republic plan now, but this is much less expensive.
I don't understand the question - would you mind rephrasing please?
With Republic, there is automatic handover of data when you walk into an area with an established wireless connection. It minimizes data use.
an_asker
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by an_asker »

Tdubs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 pm [...]
With Republic, there is automatic handover of data when you walk into an area with an established wireless connection. It minimizes data use.
I thought that is automatic with all plans (though I could be wrong) - in fact, it might be a phone setting not a plan setting. Anyway, I have the Tello plan with minimal data and as soon as I'm home, I use the home WiFi.

The nice thing about Tello is that once you go over your data subscription, you're only throttled down - some (most?) other plans just tack on additional data (and bill you for it!).
palaheel
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by palaheel »

LSLover wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 am Those of you who prepay your annual plan on Red Pocket or any other MVNO, do you get charged local cell phone taxes/fees monthly, upfront, or not at all?
Cricket does not add extra fees etc to their plans. My plan is $30, and I pay $30.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
Tdubs
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Tdubs »

an_asker wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:44 am
Tdubs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 pm [...]
With Republic, there is automatic handover of data when you walk into an area with an established wireless connection. It minimizes data use.
I thought that is automatic with all plans (though I could be wrong) - in fact, it might be a phone setting not a plan setting. Anyway, I have the Tello plan with minimal data and as soon as I'm home, I use the home WiFi.

The nice thing about Tello is that once you go over your data subscription, you're only throttled down - some (most?) other plans just tack on additional data (and bill you for it!).
Well, that was what I was wondering. In an earlier exchange above, I am incorrectly identified as saying Tello does not do the handoff (someone else must have made an editing mistake). Anyway, whoever wrote that indicates that I have to manually switch with Tello. If that isn't right, it seems like a great plan.
Doug E. Dee
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Doug E. Dee »

Xfinity if you're a current internet subscriber (as student posted above).

I pay $2.40/mo in taxes, that's it. Includes 100MB in data which isn't much but it works for me.
richardglm
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by richardglm »

AT&T prepaid daily plan. $2 for 24 hours unlimited talk text only charged when you use it. $1 for 24 hours/100MB data only when you use it. Plus potential minimum taxes/911 fees. Have to load $100 every 12 months to avoid account expiration (I am not sure if the $100 expires or can be further used; if it expires, then the minimum cost is $8.33/month).

But if you prefer to deal directly with a major network like AT&T it is not a bad deal.
retired@50
Posts: 3466
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:36 pm
Location: Living in the U.S.A.

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by retired@50 »

NavyIC3 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:54 am Need a cell phone for occasional use. Must be able to text. Any ideas?
I have a cheap flip phone, so texting is a pain, but it is possible. I buy a 1-year SIM card from AT&T for $100. That is plenty to last me for a year. If there is money left at renewal, you can roll it into the following year, so long as you renew BEFORE the year is up. Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
LSLover
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by LSLover »

Tracfone Prepaid Smartphone Plan, 1 year w/ 1200 Min, 1200 Txt & 3GB Data $50.
This "limited-time eBay-only" deal. A year of service and 3GB data for $50. 1200 minutes and 1200 texts, too.
You have a choice of Verizon, ATT or TMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepa ... 3448464240
scrabbler1
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by scrabbler1 »

I rarely use my TracFone flip phone for calls or texts. I bought it in 2015 and once a year or so, I add a small number of minutes (120 tops) and some contract time. Lately, I use up the contract time more quickly than the few minutes I buy, so I pay $50 a year for the contract time only. I can't block all those junk calls, so I just hang up on them instantly to stop the ring tones.
Drewman
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Drewman »

Wife and I use Tello! I use a flip phone for calls and text and she has a smart phone. I have unlimited minutes and text for $9/mo. With tax and fees it's about $9.18. Wife has smart phone and his is $9 as well however, she uses less minutes and more data.

I can refer you if you are interested and I think we each get a $10 credit or so!
ddd
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by ddd »

an_asker wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am
GeMoney wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am [...]
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Regarding Tello's Pay As You Go plan, they recently changed their terms of service (without informing anybody) to the following:

"Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 10, 2019."

The minimum top up pay as you go credit is $20 so $6.67/mo. I'll likely be switching to their monthly plan starting on Dec 10. For $7/mo you can get 300 minutes + 500mg data or 100 minutes + 1gb data a month
Hmmm! Thanks for sharing this information. I had no idea. :oops:

Auto top up is $10 for PAYG. So the lowest cost is $3.33/month. Still cheaper than $5/month plan.
GeMoney
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:15 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by GeMoney »

ddd wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:05 pm
an_asker wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am
GeMoney wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 am
an_asker wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am [...]
Wow! I didn't know that Tello had dropped lower. I love their customer service; however, they did drop the ball in not informing me about the lower costs. They automatically changed my plan - I have 300 phone minutes that I don't need - to maintain my monthly cost! :oops:

I need to wait until the end of the month (billing cycle) to switch plans though - if I switch right now, they'll bill me for a whole month!

OP:

You can pay as you go as well. I believe that's one cent per minute talk time and one cent per text. You are probably better off paying $5 for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texting with no data plan.
Regarding Tello's Pay As You Go plan, they recently changed their terms of service (without informing anybody) to the following:

"Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order. If no order was placed in a period of 3 months, Pay As You Go credit will expire and the Tello service will be disconnected. This policy is effective since September 10, 2019."

The minimum top up pay as you go credit is $20 so $6.67/mo. I'll likely be switching to their monthly plan starting on Dec 10. For $7/mo you can get 300 minutes + 500mg data or 100 minutes + 1gb data a month
Hmmm! Thanks for sharing this information. I had no idea. :oops:

Auto top up is $10 for PAYG. So the lowest cost is $3.33/month. Still cheaper than $5/month plan.
It is my understanding that Tello's auto top up occurs when the account balance is below $2.00 but if you have a larger balance and don't top up (manual top up is a minimum of $20) or change to a monthly plan within the 90 days you lose your phone number but you can request a refund of your outstanding balance.
ddd
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by ddd »

That's right. If you want 100% guarantee that you don't loose your number, then buy a plan that auto renews. On the other hand, burning $10 in 90 days is also easy to achieve. Just listen to your favorite music service or internet radio during commute. Or make a single video call. Or do a speed test. Be careful not to over do it :D
levelride
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by levelride »

I've been very happy with Google Fi. https://fi.google.com/

I pay $15 for call and text. However, I believe the rate just increased to $20/month for unlimited talk & text, plus $10/GB for data. It's important to note that you only pay for data used on the cellular network. If you're on WIFI, then data usage is free. I'm saving a significant amount of money since switching over from AT&T.
User avatar
Topic Author
NavyIC3
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by NavyIC3 »

Doug E. Dee wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 pm Xfinity if you're a current internet subscriber (as student posted above).

I pay $2.40/mo in taxes, that's it. Includes 100MB in data which isn't much but it works for me.
I have Xfinity. I stopped in their store and was told the cheapest plan I could get was $12/mo plus fees. How did you get that price?
neilpilot
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by neilpilot »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:16 am
Doug E. Dee wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 pm Xfinity if you're a current internet subscriber (as student posted above).

I pay $2.40/mo in taxes, that's it. Includes 100MB in data which isn't much but it works for me.
I have Xfinity. I stopped in their store and was told the cheapest plan I could get was $12/mo plus fees. How did you get that price?
I have used Xfinity for 2 years and have the same plan as Doug. We’re grandfathered on that plan, but new subscribers get the plan you described.
User avatar
DiscoBunny1979
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 am

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

I bought HSN's Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown 5.5" 16BG Tracfone with 1500 Min/texts/data for $109.99/free shipping

I don't think you can beat the tracfone Samsung phone and minute yearly plan. You don't have to renew. Just buy whatever Galaxy phone every year for about $120 and get the minutes with it.
Doug E. Dee
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by Doug E. Dee »

Thanks Neil, I didn't know that they eliminated the plan we have. Too bad, such a great deal.

eta- I just found this:

"For accounts opened after 7/31/19, with By the Gig lines, a minimum $12.00 charge applies per month, regardless of data usage. "
02nz
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by 02nz »

LSLover wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 am Those of you who prepay your annual plan on Red Pocket or any other MVNO, do you get charged local cell phone taxes/fees monthly, upfront, or not at all?
The taxes and fees are included. You do pay sales tax at time of purchase (if there's one in your state), but once you've purchased the plan, there are no other taxes and fees (unless you want to top off minutes/data). Prepaid means prepaid - Red Pocket doesn't ask for a credit card if you bought your plan through eBay (they have their own eBay store).
02nz
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Cheap Cell Phone Plan

Post by 02nz »

Red Pocket is running a sale on their eBay store with nice discounts - e.g., 5GB/mo plan is $195 for a year or about $16/mo, and you can now choose Verizon in addition to AT&T and Sprint (T-Mobile is also available on other plans).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/redpocketstore ... pg=&_from=

You have 90 days after purchase to activate Red Pocket plans. If you add the same plan to an existing plan, it will start at the end of the existing plan. If you activate a different plan, though, it will terminate your current plan right away.
Post Reply