My mechanic just wrecked my car - advice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Helo80

Re: My mechanic just wrecked my car - advice?

Post by Helo80 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:48 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am
The owner said it was the front bumper, one head light, the fender, the wheel and a couple of suspension items (e.g. lower control arm, strut) and fender liners around the wheel.

Ok to laugh ; ' ) Sometimes it is ok to ask questions that may seem obvious to others LOL. I am here to learn and I do learn a lot from BH's! $12 could be close for the "diminished value". But as the original owner, I'm a bit sentimental. :D

More extensive than I thought... it might be worth bringing up and hoping for $500... Throw that number out there and see if they bite.

Do I think you'll get it? Not 100% convinced... but maybe they'll counter-offer and you'll get something.

Think about it.... the shop's insurer likely has 10,000+ claims against them annually from parties they insure. If they can shave $200 off each claim and say that "DV does not apply" or conveniently forget to mention it (which they will)... what is $200 times 10,000?

One more thing --- for all the people insured by USAA --- I've said it here before, their corporate HQ is on par with the majors in O&G in Houston... e.g. Exxon and Chevron.

Silk McCue

Re: My mechanic just wrecked my car - advice?

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:45 pm

EDIT: Found it, but your comment was not helpful where I was trying to help OP.
And I was trying to help you since you had missed the update. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Cheers