Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
doss
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am

Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by doss » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 am

My wife and I always tend to lose our phones in the house. We tried the Find my Phone feature to help us locate it but I think the search area is too broad (e.g., point of location is "in the neighborhood" rather than a section of the house).

Does anyone have any advice/tips on an app or tool that would help us surgically locate a missing phone in the house*? Thanks!

*Yes, we sometimes can try calling the other phone, but for some reason that only works 50% of the time due to battery, ring settings, etc.

User avatar
Tamarind
Posts: 1678
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Tamarind » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 am

If it's an Android phone with Assistant, you can call out to your phone and it will make noise even if it was silenced. Of course that doesn't help anyone with an iPhone or a dead battery.

They also make "locator" tags that will stick to your phone case and can be found with another phone. Don't know how good they are with the "I know it's in this room somewhere scenario".

Failing that, I guess try to declutter and get a brightly colored case?

Silk McCue
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am

If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers

dcabler
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by dcabler » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 am

Funny - I had to do this just last night. Of course it was sitting on a side table next to the bed, in plain sight. :D

As folks have already said, whether you have an Android based phone or an IPhone, there is a feature for finding your phone that let you make the phone play a sound so you can find it. For me, usually it's somewhere in the house and, if not, it's sitting in my car.

Cheers.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am

Don't tend to lose your phones in the house. This is an organization problem on your part. Easy to change your ways if you want or you can go ahead with solutions that others will post here. Same with car keys, wallets, etc. Have place for them. One place and stick to it.
Losing your stuff on a regular basis forbodes what, when you start getting cognitive decline. Maybe you will be ahead of the game on that. But, maybe you can organize yourself a bit more too.

fru-gal
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by fru-gal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am
Don't tend to lose your phones in the house. This is an organization problem on your part. Easy to change your ways if you want or you can go ahead with solutions that others will post here. Same with car keys, wallets, etc. Have place for them. One place and stick to it.
Losing your stuff on a regular basis forbodes what, when you start getting cognitive decline. Maybe you will be ahead of the game on that. But, maybe you can organize yourself a bit more too.
I carry my phone with me, well, at least to the room I'm in, in the house, in case of emergency. A landline used to make this unnecessary, but then Verizon ripped out landline service in my area.

I have two phones, and just call the missing one. I am not sure why that doesn't always work for the OP. I don't change ring settings though.

I also realized that when I'm being lazy, instead of getting the second phone, I can just log into Vanguard and wait for it to ring the missing phone so it can send the code :-)

HomeStretch
Posts: 2051
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am
If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers
+1 the sound will guide you right to the spot!

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 21790
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 am

In our household (just my wife and I), when I cannot locate my phone, my wife finds it.

Same for many other things I cannot find! :oops:

LoganLot
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by LoganLot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am

I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/

mlipps
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by mlipps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am

If you have an apple watch you can swipe up for the control center and then click the phone icon to ring your phone. This is so easy that I do it several times a week.

Momus
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Momus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 am

Just Google it. Call my phone.

Grasshopper
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Grasshopper » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 am

I spent $20 for aTile attached to my tortoise, let it go on the ponderosa and have no problem finding it on cool nights.

i<3Investing
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by i<3Investing » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:41 am

Android has the "Android Device Manager" that will let you ring or lock your phone from any computer. You have to have it setup before you lose your phone though.

I also have a google home speaker and you can ask it to ring your phone and it will (even if its on silent). Both options work great for me.

User avatar
wageoghe
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Northern Alabama

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by wageoghe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:51 am

LoganLot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am
I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/
No need to attach a tile to the phone. If you have one or more tiles and the tile app installed on your phone, double pressing on any tile should make the phone ring, even if it is turned off. You can also make your phone a virtual tile and share it with someone else (who has the tile app) so that person's phone can help find yours.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/blog/cell-phone-finder (this blog post is pretty old, but the same capabilities should still exist, if not better capabilities).

Echoing suggestions from upthread, if you have an iPhone, Find My Phone (either from another of your devices, someone else's device, or from the icloud.com website) can make your phone play a sound even if the sound is off.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am
If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers
+1 the sound will guide you right to the spot!
Now if I can just get my wallet and keys to play a sound I'll be in good shape. :)

LoganLot
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by LoganLot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am

That works great unless the battery is dead, which seems to be a common problem in my household. I ended up sticking one on the back and problem solved.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:37 am

LoganLot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am
I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/
Thanks for posting. I just posted if only I had something to make my wallet and keys make a sound i'd be in good shape, and you had alreday provided the answer.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2051
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:44 am

LoganLot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am
That works great unless the battery is dead, which seems to be a common problem in my household. I ended up sticking one on the back and problem solved.
If “send last location” is turned on in Settings, the iPhone will send its location before the battery dies. New iOS features helps finding a phone that’s not connected to WiFi/mobile network using Bluetooth.

Edited for typo
Last edited by HomeStretch on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clip651
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by clip651 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:03 pm

I second the brightly colored cases comment. Look around your house. What are the dominant colors in areas where you tend to leave phones? Brown, grey, black, white, etc. What color do you have very little of in your house? Bright pink? Neon green? Bright yellow or orange, pastel pink or blue, etc? Go with those colors for things like phones you have trouble finding.

My mom used to keep a small black or dark grey phone (back in the flip phone days) in her black purse which had a black fabric lining. Even in the small confines of the purse in a room with good lighting, the phone was hard to find. Black wallet, same issue. Attaching a brightly colored strap to each one (back in the days when phones had straps) made it much easier to find. But a case would serve the same purpose.

Also, try to pick set places to leave the phone in each room. Certain corner of a table, on top of a certain bookcase, bedside table, whatever depending on the room. But pick particular places to put the phone down in each room you're likely to carry it to, and always take the extra second to take it to one of those places before putting it down.

These same tips work for other important items, like keys, remote controls, etc. Being deliberate and consistent about where you put something down makes it much easier to find again.

You also mentioned keeping the phone nearby for safety. Depending on your specific concerns, consider something wearable. Perhaps apple watch, philips lifeline pendant with fall alert, small purse or bag with phone in it carried over shoulder or around waist, etc.

best wishes,
cj

SwampDonkey
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by SwampDonkey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 pm

I appreciate this thread. I often leave my iphone throughout my house and have to have my wife call it while I listen for the vibration. I just tried the "Find my iphone" app and having the ability to make the phone make a significant ringing noise will make finding my phone 10x easier in the future.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2051
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:17 pm

SwampDonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 pm
I appreciate this thread. I often leave my iphone throughout my house and have to have my wife call it while I listen for the vibration. I just tried the "Find my iphone" app and having the ability to make the phone make a significant ringing noise will make finding my phone 10x easier in the future.
The other nice features of “Find My iPhone” are:
1. If phone is stolen, you can lock it and erase all data.
2. If phone is lost, you can display a message on the home screen (which shows up even if phone is locked). Family member lost a phone, added the message and the next morning someone called to return the phone!

wm631
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by wm631 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm

doss wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 am
My wife and I always tend to lose our phones in the house. We tried the Find my Phone feature to help us locate it but I think the search area is too broad (e.g., point of location is "in the neighborhood" rather than a section of the house).

Does anyone have any advice/tips on an app or tool that would help us surgically locate a missing phone in the house*? Thanks!

*Yes, we sometimes can try calling the other phone, but for some reason that only works 50% of the time due to battery, ring settings, etc.
Follow where your dog's been :annoyed.

retire2022
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by retire2022 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Op

If I don’t have a phone to call the cell I used my computer or laptop via google voice to hear the ringtone.

Google Voice saved me during Sandy when phone power lines were out.

LoganLot
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by LoganLot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:37 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:44 am
LoganLot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am
That works great unless the battery is dead, which seems to be a common problem in my household. I ended up sticking one on the back and problem solved.
If “send last location” is turned on in Settings, the iPhone will send its location before the battery dies. New iOS features helps finding a phone that’s not connected to WiFi/mobile network using Bluetooth.

Edited for typo
The issue with “send last location” is that 1) it’s not accurate enough to tell you where in the house it is and 2) it only shows the last location for 24hrs after the battery dies. If you can live with these limitations, then great. For my household, the Tile fills my needs better.

Interestingly, Apple is rumored to be about to release a competing product to Tile that called ‘Apple Tag’ that uses ultra-wideband which is far more accurate than even Bluetooth.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/04/ios-13-tag-device/

SwampDonkey
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by SwampDonkey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:54 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:17 pm
SwampDonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:10 pm
I appreciate this thread. I often leave my iphone throughout my house and have to have my wife call it while I listen for the vibration. I just tried the "Find my iphone" app and having the ability to make the phone make a significant ringing noise will make finding my phone 10x easier in the future.
The other nice features of “Find My iPhone” are:
1. If phone is stolen, you can lock it and erase all data.
2. If phone is lost, you can display a message on the home screen (which shows up even if phone is locked). Family member lost a phone, added the message and the next morning someone called to return the phone!
Great tips. Thank you!

EddyB
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by EddyB » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:21 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 am
In our household (just my wife and I), when I cannot locate my phone, my wife finds it.

Same for many other things I cannot find! :oops:
What if you can't find her?!

User avatar
Dtort
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Dtort » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm

If its an iPhone and you have "Hey Siri" turned on, you can go through the house calling "Hey Siri!" and wait for her to answer "I'm here". My wife has good results with this.

fru-gal
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by fru-gal » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm

LoganLot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am
I use these to help find phones and keys. Stick one on the back of your phone, and you'll be able to find it from any other phone. It has its own battery, so works when the phone battery is dead or the sound is off.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/
I wish they would make these small enough for a cat's collar. I guard opening the door to my house, but once one of my cats zoomed out (frightened by a new person being there). He was gone for about a day, but imagine being able to locate a pet with one of those things. The company would probably sell millions.

Silk McCue
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Dtort wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm
If its an iPhone and you have "Hey Siri" turned on, you can go through the house calling "Hey Siri!" and wait for her to answer "I'm here". My wife has good results with this.
Good point, as long is the iPhone is at least a 6S generation.

Do you respond in like manner when she calls you or do you pretend not to hear? :)

Cheers

User avatar
ryuns
Posts: 3493
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by ryuns » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:02 pm

In addition to what's been mentioned, google home will ring your phone too. This is more helpful than simply saying "hey google", since you always know where your google home is, but may not be in earshot of your phone. You can set up voice recognition too, so it knows whose phone you're referring to.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

DiamondplateDave
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by DiamondplateDave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Today, 10-08-19, Amazon is offering a special on 4 tiles and a 'free' Echo Dot. If, of course, you are OK with Jeff Bezos not only listening to your private conversations but also knowing where your car keys, wallet, phone and cat are.
Speaking of cats, I know I saw somebody hawking a collar. Searching for "gps cat collar" returns tons of results from $9-300.
A GPS collar will help you locate your cat if it is missing, but will not prevent it from eating your face if you run out of Fancy Feast.

Magruder
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:30 am
Location: White Mtns of NH

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Magruder » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm

Lost my Iphone in the community dumpster while dumping my recyclables! Had no idea where I had misplaced or lost it, but had my son "look for me" a few hours later with the Find My Friends app! Successfully recovered!

Tdubs
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Tdubs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 pm

Momus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 am
Just Google it. Call my phone.
Had no idea. It works!

Katietsu
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by Katietsu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:30 am
HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:24 am
If it is an iPhone Use Find My iPhone. Select the missing device. Select "Actions" and Click "Play Sound". Even with sound turned off it will make noise.

Cheers
+1 the sound will guide you right to the spot!
Now if I can just get my wallet and keys to play a sound I'll be in good shape. :)
That is why I put a tile tracker in my wallet. Plays a tune on command. Wish I could figure out a way to put a tracker on my eyeglasses.

MotoTrojan
Posts: 6155
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm

If battery is an issue, Amazon makes little tags that’ll make a sound for you. Great for tv remotes, keys, etc... as well.

flyingaway
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by flyingaway » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 pm

I just set up my Samsung Phone with the Find My Mobile account and tested it. It worked with the Ring function. A few weeks ago, my silent phone was lost at the side of the car driver seat. It took me quite some time to find it, after exhausting all other possible locations.

Thanks for the tips.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 21790
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am

I put a sticker with my home phone number on the back of my smartphone - in case I leave it someplace.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am
Don't tend to lose your phones in the house. This is an organization problem on your part. Easy to change your ways if you want or you can go ahead with solutions that others will post here. Same with car keys, wallets, etc. Have place for them. One place and stick to it.
This. My phone is always either in my pocket/purse or charging. Same with my keys (except replace "charging" with "on the nightstand"). I've never understood how people lose things. Everything always goes in the same place.

Topic Author
doss
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:52 am

Re: Find my phone -- easy way to find it when lost in the house?

Post by doss » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks! I ended up using the FIND MY PHONE feature and that seems to do the job. However, I am hard of hearing and I am unable to hear the sound , but my wife can hear it. I wonder why they chose a high pitched sound for the missing phone feature.

Post Reply