Returned first iPhone; are they all like this?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
montanagirl

Returned first iPhone; are they all like this?

Post by montanagirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:55 am

I bought a new iPhone 7 from by wireless provider and and several issues right away:
1 Android transfer app did not work, sent me around in circles
2. No word wrap in safari so it was hard to read my favorite blogs. Deal killer!
3 Kindle app would not download because the phone said I already had it. Anyway I read that the app does not work the same way and you can't buy and download books through it.

Plus, the thing seemed heavy and the screen a bit rough. The icons were huge maybe because I told setup I was 70.

I sent it back but still wonder if these are typical iPhone characteristics. Am I just too used to Android? Should I try a different model?

stan1

Re: Returned first iPhone; are they all like this?

Post by stan1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am

Sounds like you are familiar with Android ecosystem and should stick with it. Why did you buy the iPhone?

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am

montanagirl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:55 am
Am I just too used to Android?
Yes.

Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 am

stan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am
Sounds like you are familiar with Android ecosystem and should stick with it. Why did you buy the iPhone?
I was frustrated that I couldn't get it to work consistently with a Square chip reader, when my partner's iphone worked with no problem. I mean it crapped out just as I needed to use it despite testing it all day and for a month prior to our fundraiser. Besides, I always wanted to try iphone and there are a lot of good deals out there besides paying $$$ for latest and greatest.

The word wrap problem really did it for me. I found the screen hard to read overall, even after brightening it and maxing out the fonts. I use a phone more as a reader than for calls. After searching I found other frustrated users with no solution offered. Someone said "just read it in landscape." How do you hold it with one hand and scroll with the thumb in landscape? :confused

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am

I went from iOS to android system and at first I was frustrated. Now I am OK with both systems. I am thinking that you did not give it enough time nor investigate how to make it right for you.
I see that you use your phone for reading more than as a phone. To that I would say why not get a tablet. So much better if you are reading kindle.
Are iPhones all like this, you ask. Well, yes,,they are. They are built with same specs. It is you that is flummoxed by them. Millions use iPhones daily.

Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am
I went from iOS to android system and at first I was frustrated. Now I am OK with both systems. I am thinking that you did not give it enough time nor investigate how to make it right for you.
I see that you use your phone for reading more than as a phone. To that I would say why not get a tablet. So much better if you are reading kindle.
Are iPhones all like this, you ask. Well, yes,,they are. They are built with same specs. It is you that is flummoxed by them. Millions use iPhones daily.
Well, obviously. Who doesn't want to at least try one? I hear the camera is fabulous. Anyway I have several tablets already but found them a pain to drag around to doctors' offices etc or anywhere else where I might want to read while waiting.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:38 am

You could have put Chrome browser on your iPhone. You can also install Edge browser on iPhone.

It doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance. Plus, the iPhone 7 is nearing the end of life.

Expecting an Android port tool to work on an iPhone was also probably a stretch. Did the tool say it would copy to an iPhone?

I like a mix of Google, Microsoft and Apple (Pick your favorites). I use Yahoo and Outlook for email. Chrome browser. Edge Browser. I have OneDrive, Google Photos and Apple Photos all working to sync photos.
“People don’t want advice, they want confirmation.” Unknown

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 am

Dont feel bad. I know a dude who bought 2 of the new iphone 11's. Both had manufacturer issues with the front camera. I guess there was almost a scratch/smudge under the screen right at the camera. He swapped both out for replacements. Least apple was cool with it.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am

I'm not sure what you mean by no word wrap in Safari. If a site is mobile-friendly, it should adjust the view to the proper width and Safari will handle it properly. If the site isn't adjusting to the view properly, it's not really a Safari issue. Maybe an example will help.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:07 am

I regularly use the Kindle app on my iPhone and am happy with it. I have the Amazon app with one-click setting enabled right next to it. Buying the book in one app and opening it in the Kindle app takes a minute or two. Borrowing a book from the library is easy too. That app is next to the Kindle app too.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:12 am

montanagirl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 am
The word wrap problem really did it for me.
If you ever try an iPhone again, I think the feature you were looking for is "reader mode."

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/forc ... e-0198474/

thankyouverymuch

Post by thankyouverymuch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:20 am

SpaethCo wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:12 am
If you ever try an iPhone again, I think the feature you were looking for is "reader mode."
I wish Bogleheads.org worked better with Safari on iOS. Reader mode and/or dark mode would be nice for reading Bogleheads at night!?

greg24

Post by greg24 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Do you think Apple has sold 1.2 billion iPhones without being able to figure out word wrap?

Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:38 am
You could have put Chrome browser on your iPhone. You can also install Edge browser on iPhone.

It doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance. Plus, the iPhone 7 is nearing the end of life.

Expecting an Android port tool to work on an iPhone was also probably a stretch. Did the tool say it would copy to an iPhone?
Yeah I got in a hurry when I saw how heavy and clunky it was. It was a Plus btw since the regular 7 with screen < 5 inches seemed small.

The Android port was supposed to transfer my contacts to iPhone yes. I entered the codes the app generated but sent me round in circles, then tried to say I didn't have internet which was wrong. I'd just used it to download the app!

I shoulda tried chrome tho. I've never had an apple anything and thought it used proprietary stuff only.

I'll prolly try again...

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:01 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm
Yeah I got in a hurry when I saw how heavy and clunky it was. It was a Plus btw since the regular 7 with screen < 5 inches seemed small.

The Android port was supposed to transfer my contacts to iPhone yes. I entered the codes the app generated but sent me round in circles, then tried to say I didn't have internet which was wrong. I'd just used it to download the app!

I shoulda tried chrome tho. I've never had an apple anything and thought it used proprietary stuff only.

I'll prolly try again...
All of our contacts are in our Gmail or Outlook email accounts. I add the accounts in Settings and boom, all the contacts are there.

I have an XS Max (11 Pro Max is the latest). It is a considerable step up from the 7 Plus/8 Plus. Face ID makes the finger print login date.

Top end Android phones and top end iPhones are both good. We have 3 kids and they all have iPhones, so the parents have also went with iPhones the last few phones. I like the consistency. All backed up to iCloud. All use Family Apple Music subscription.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“People don’t want advice, they want confirmation.” Unknown

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:26 pm

I spent an hour today in a doctor’s waiting room, and I entertained myself by reading several chapters of a novel on my iPhone. It worked fine in portrait mode. Not sure why yours did not. My iPhone is a 6, so two years older than the one you have.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Funny thread! My wife upgrade from 7 to 11 last week. When she got 7, I was amazed at build quality and pictures/camera. My $200 android was left in dust. Now for 11, the screen is still LCD, photos barely compete with my $300 pixel 3a(my P30 just leaves iphone 11 way behind) and apple still charges $100 for 128 gb of additional memory. Unlock with faceID takes few seconds with no fingerprint alternative. I understand folks in apple ecosystem. My spouse is one. But I genuinely believe apple is overcharging for no reason and the product in question is not that great at all.

I do not mind them charging a premium for a good product. But that is not the case anymore. I continue to hope with their chest of money, apple would innovate.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

tlk59

Post by tlk59 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 pm

As mentioned, you don't have to use Safari. I use Chrome, and for that matter most other Google apps, on iPhone. Though I recall Safari having a nice feature Chrome doesn't. A pop-up reader that shows just the main text from the web page, without the images and other junk, in an easy to read font.

Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:18 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:26 pm
I spent an hour today in a doctor’s waiting room, and I entertained myself by reading several chapters of a novel on my iPhone. It worked fine in portrait mode. Not sure why yours did not. My iPhone is a 6, so two years older than the one you have.
No I couldn't even get Kindle downloaded. We're you using the apple reader app?

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Based on the issues you pointed out, I'd say you should just stick with what you already know. If that's Android, go with that.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm an Android person myself but if I wanted to try an iPhone I'd get the newest model to make it a fair comparison.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:20 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am
montanagirl wrote:
Yes.
Yes. There are enough differences that if you don’t enjoy learning the operating system—which is certainly understandable—then I definitely suggest sticking with what you know. I don’t particularly like learning new software.

A large number of the challenges you encountered had relatively simple solutions (esp #2 and #3), but it takes time to relearn things. As far as transferring, in my experience I’ve always had issues with transferring data between different operating systems, whether laptop or mobile device. No matter what system, and no matter how great the supposed transfer app was supposed to work.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm

arf30 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:14 pm
I'm an Android person myself but if I wanted to try an iPhone I'd get the newest model to make it a fair comparison.
That’s a very fair comment, though iPhone 7 is still compatible with iOS 13 according to Apple.

BobTexas

Post by BobTexas » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm

If you live near an Apple store you could have gone there for help.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:18 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:26 pm
No I couldn't even get Kindle downloaded. We're you using the apple reader app?
No, I was using the Kindle app for the Apple iPhone. I have both Kindle and the Apple Books app on my phone. They both work quite well.

MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I mean, it’s really personal preference. I used to have an iPhone personal phone with an android work phone and could not function. The android slowed me down. Now I have iPhone for both but use a Microsoft surface pro computer as I can’t stand the Apple computers. I guess I’m confused? Either way, it’s largely based on individual preference.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:08 am

montanagirl wrote:

Plus, the thing seemed heavy and the screen a bit rough. The icons were huge maybe because I told setup I was 70.

I sent it back but still wonder if these are typical iPhone characteristics. Am I just too used to Android? Should I try a different model?

I would not recommend a different model. To be frank, it sounds a bit like you were looking for an excuse to return the phone. "The thing seemed heavy"? Did you buy it sight unseen? What do you mean "the screen a bit rough"? Did you try to reduce the size of the icons?

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am

This thread reminds me of a free senior course AARP about use of smart phones. When told that the mapping on the phone could give you directions to your home, one woman was perplexed because it did not work. Found out she was telling phone to take me home. Had to be told that the phone did not know where she lived. An address was needed.