Question on a concrete driveway

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
iamblessed

Question on a concrete driveway

Post by iamblessed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Adding a one foot wide by nine feet long section to my driveway. Do I need rebar? The weight of one front tire will be on it.

Re: Question on a concrete driveway

Post by 123 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:07 pm

It could depend on local building codes, soil conditions, and the weight of whatever is connected to the front tire.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Read this link as an example of how to do it properly. You definitely need to properly engineer this or you will have a weak mess in short order.

https://www.hunker.com/13401893/how-to- ... h-concrete

Cheers

Topic Author
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 pm

It is a mid-size front wheel drive car. I am guessing no more than 2000 lb on that wheel.

Topic Author
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I will only be driving over it not parking on it.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:19 pm
I will only be driving over it not parking on it.
No matter what you plan to do it must be engineered properly or it will eventually need to be redone properly.

Cheers

SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:34 pm

I recently paid someone to extend the width of our driveway by 3-ft on one side. I had three people provide quotes and I asked each of them if they thought rebar was necessary. None of the three throught rebar was necessary but offered to include it we really thought it was necessary (we decided against it). They simply dug 4-5 inches deep into our grass, made a few forms with 2x4s, and poured the concrete. We let the concrete cure for 10 days while keeping it wet (this was probably overkill...). Since then, we have parked on the new concrete every night and it still looks as good as new.
Note, we live in the south and cold weather is not a concern.

donall

Post by donall » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Driveways usually fail if the gravel foundation is not prepared well or deep enough. So don’t skimp on the preparation. Rebar cost so little so better to overdesign than
Underdesign.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am

Rebar on chairs, do not let them say to you that they will pull it up when pouring.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:54 am

iamblessed wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:57 pm
Adding a one foot wide by nine feet long section to my driveway. Do I need rebar? The weight of one front tire will be on it.
I would think a skinny rectangular piece of concrete as you describe (1 ft by 9 ft), would be especially prone to cracking.

The rebar should help keep all of the pieces tied together if large cracks develop.

Cheap insurance to add rebar.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 am

iamblessed wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:57 pm
Absolutely! It isn't about weight of vehicles driving on it. The concrete mix and thickness dictate how much weight can be driven or parked on it without cracking. The rebar prevents the concrete slab from shifting vertically in relation to the adjacent slab from frost heave or ground settling. The adjacent slab can be the other part of your driveway or the same one foot by nine feet section if a crack ever develops in it.

I live in an area of the country where we get around 16 inches of frost depth every winter. My concrete driveway rises about two inches in relation to my garage slab (which has a footer poured below the frost line). The rebar ensures that the whole slab rises as one unit versus individual pieces.

For what it is worth, I worked on a concrete crew for a number of summers. The only concrete we ever poured without rebar or other reinforcement was when we had a little bit left in the cement truck that needed to be emptied. I couldn't count the number of repours we did on jobs where the original concrete had been poured without any reinforcement in it because they accounted for the large majority of the repours.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:53 am

Solid base, compacted gravel, etc.
Rebar into surrounding concrete so it's not a seperate piece and integrates with existing slab structurally.
Concrete wire.
Fibercrete additive.
Bonding agent (like glue) to existing slab surface.
Pour and finish.

j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 am

Forget the concrete. Go to home depot and get some 4" pavers and place them where you want them. Easy fix. Seems like you are only doing this because your car has to roll over a little bit more of your existing driveway.
I cannot imagine any contractor will be interested In 1 x 9 job. As someone mentioned, for real reinforcement you would need to tie that 1 foot wide piece into the adjacent driveway. Even with rebar, if that is not done there will be a higher likelihood of cracking, or tilting.
Try the pavers. You can do that in the time it takes to get BH opinions here.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:49 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 am
Forget the concrete. Go to home depot and get some 4" pavers and place them where you want them. Easy fix. Seems like you are only doing this because your car has to roll over a little bit more of your existing driveway.
I cannot imagine any contractor will be interested In 1 x 9 job. As someone mentioned, for real reinforcement you would need to tie that 1 foot wide piece into the adjacent driveway. Even with rebar, if that is not done there will be a higher likelihood of cracking, or tilting.
Unless you compact the ground, put down a sand base and build a concrete curb to stop the pavers from moving this is going to get messed up real quick.

Cheers

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:37 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
+1 Concrete pavers are a much better idea for a narrow strip than poured concrete. You don't need a concrete curb, just properly installed edging. You do need a properly prepared base.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:34 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Good suggestion. Do some search on how to put down pavers, you need to prepare the base and edge them with mortar so they don't move. Family Handyman is a good site for directions.