Router for Small Apartment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
neon beanbag

Router for Small Apartment

Post by neon beanbag » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:38 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by neon beanbag on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Re: Router for Small Apartment

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm

This router probably hasn't had a firmware update in some time. I usually scrap out a router if the firmware is older than a year and can't be updated. There are security risks associated with old routers.

TP-Link has a good offering at a lot of price points.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
neon beanbag

Post by neon beanbag » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by neon beanbag on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:09 pm

What frequency are you connecting at 2.4 or 5 (2.4 should be more stable), have you tried changing a broadcast channel?

I have a Netgear Nighthawk (R6700) myself and its flakey as well. I've been having to reboot it every few days or else the connection becomes really slowwwww (~10Mbps). I had a TP-link Archer C5 that crapped out a little over a year before that. If you want good stable connection.... mesh routers are the way to go.... I've been holding off for now, but once my Nighthawk craps out I'll be switching to mesh.

Topic Author
neon beanbag

Post by neon beanbag » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:15 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by neon beanbag on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tortoisesque

Post by Tortoisesque » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Agree with the suggestion to try the 2.4 GHz band. Your problem may be specific to the 5 GHz band.

Another suggestion is to connect a device directly to the modem (not the router) using a long Ethernet cable and see if you notice the same issue. If so, the problem is with your modem or Internet provider, not your router.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Agree you should use the 2.4 GHz band and see if it's any better. 2.4 supports faster speed (144 Mbps) than your internet speed of 100 Mbps.

But if that does not work, I would say that once a router goes flaky, it's not worth the time and frustration to troubleshoot, and I recommend replacing it. Here are some recent reviews:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

with a 700 sq ft apartment some of the lower cost models should be fine for you.

bigROI

Post by bigROI » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm

I had a 7000 then a 7800 and now have the RAX75 ($220 from Costco on sale). And would think the 7800 for $100ish would do great for 100mbps in an apartment. ASUS also has some good options for around $100. Look for one that has the 80mhz bands for phones and MUMIMO support.
A penny saved is much more then a penny earned when you consider the tax/SS/medicare cut.

mav12

Post by mav12 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:39 am

Personally, I stick with the wired connection, Ethernet. Much less security risks, no dropouts, much faster transfer speeds and much better for the health. A DSL router and a gigabit switch w/ QoS.

MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 am

I would suggest buying a Google router (https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi). Been using it for 3+ years ( I bought their first generation) and it works great. The Google Wireless App allows you to control the network and has some very nice features. Never had trouble with these routers. Highly recommend them.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:53 am

I have an older netgear router and the firmware is also unreliable. I have ddwrt running with better connections. For the R7000, lots for complaints about the firmware and commonly Tomato firmware improves situation. I’d give up on netgear firmware and try Tomato, and if that fails, then buy another brand router.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:06 am

The drop-outs could be the result of a nearby neighbor using the same channel. Randomly changing your assigned channel could help or you could use some channel scanning software to find a channel that would less likely suffer from interference.

anoop

Post by anoop » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:38 am

neon beanbag wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:38 pm
Hi,

I have a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router I bought in 2015. Lately I've had a lot of issues with random dropouts (losing Skype for work connection or when doing a Google search it drops out). This seems to happen a couple of times or more on a daily basis and just gets annoying. I've spoke with Comcast and they made it seem like everything was OK on their end as far as connection to my modem and everything. This seemed to start with a firmware upgrade to the router and then I reverted back to stable versions that were recommended on Netgear's website, but the problem still seems to exist. The speed I have is 100Mbps and I'm not far from the router when using it. The devices I connect to it are work laptop, iPad, Android phone, and sometimes a Macbook Air.

My question is should I continue to troubleshoot the issue (not sure what else can be tried) or just buy a new router? I don't like spending money and I'd hate to buy a new router and the problem still exist. I was hoping this router would go for a longer time. Any recommendations if I go with a new router? My apartment is about 700 sq feet, but I place the modem and router toward the front of the apartment.

Thanks.
This is the reason why I lease my modem from Comcast even though it's a lousy deal. Dealing with passing the buck gets exhausting. But now if I run into issues, it's only one throat to choke.

The problem is almost certainly not with your distance. You could try hooking your device directly into the modem using an Ethernet cable. If that works, then at least you know it's more likely to be a WiFi problem. If even that is flaky, then it could either be the modem itself or an issue at the Comcast end. To narrow that down, you'd have to take the device to a place with a working Internet connection and plug it in there. Unless you have access to diagnostic information on the Netgear, e.g. packet drops. If it is not showing any packet drop, then a case can be made that the problem is at Comcast's end.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 am

I live in a similarly sized apartment, not even in a large building, and interference from neighboring wifi routers is the main problem I have. Looking now, I see over a dozen routers on channel 1, a similar number on channel 5 (which is stupid, since 5 overlaps with 1, but I digress), one on channel 6, and over a dozen on channel 11. Judging by the SSID, one of those is my upstairs neighbor, which is why I don't use channel 11. Some of these are probably from adjacent buildings or across the street. Moving on to 5 Mhz, things get better... there's a boatload of routers fighting it out on channel 149, and one very happy router belonging to yours truly on channel 36. Sometimes it pays to look. I also use separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 Mhz, just so I know which one a particular device is using.

I wonder if the process of upgrading your firmware reset some of your router settings. That would explain why reverting didn't help. As indicated above, I prefer to set my router on a specific channel rather than letting it move around. I also have mine on half power, which is more than enough to cover a small area.

It's possible that the Skype problem is congestion somewhere else on the internet, outside of your or Comcast's control. Not much you can do about that, unless you want to experiment with a VPN. It's also conceivable that someone else has cracked your wifi password and is competing for bandwidth on your router. You should be able to look for connected devices on your router to check that.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 am

You aren’t using a VPN are you?

I suspect no or you would have changed your firmware.

But if so look into a Connection Watchdog feature (also known as Keep Alive) that monitors the router’s up-time and completely reboots the VPN in the event of a connection issue.

I use DDWRT instead of Tomato mostly as the VPN I used had better instructions for it.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:52 am

there's no substitute for an ethernet cable and skipping wifi (when one can, clearly cannot on a phone).

I read a lot of threads like this (elsewhere) and always find myself wondering if the network card settings are playing into the users issues etc a/b/g/n/ac etc

gs2offroad

Post by gs2offroad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:36 am

The last stable firmware for my R7000 was 1.0.9.32.
If you're running a later version, try downgrading.
Download link https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000- ... n-1-0-9-32.

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 am

+1 for ditching a possibly dying router for a Google wifi. I actually have a refurb Onhub, but if I was buying today I'd get the little puck (wait to see if it's on sale for cyber Monday?).

If you move somewhere larger you can do mesh, it does 2.4/5 GHz on a single SSID, using phone app to configure it took some getting used to but it has most settings I wanted (port forwarding, custom DNS servers, static IP allocation by MAC). Plus Google seems to keep updating the firmware for it.

I thought I'd miss those super in depth http control panels (used to use DD-WRT) but now I don't :beer

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Quercus Palustris wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 am
+1 for ditching a possibly dying router for a Google wifi. I actually have a refurb Onhub, but if I was buying today I'd get the little puck (wait to see if it's on sale for cyber Monday?).

If you move somewhere larger you can do mesh, it does 2.4/5 GHz on a single SSID, using phone app to configure it took some getting used to but it has most settings I wanted (port forwarding, custom DNS servers, static IP allocation by MAC). Plus Google seems to keep updating the firmware for it.

I thought I'd miss those super in depth http control panels (used to use DD-WRT) but now I don't :beer
For those considering getting Google Wifi, there will likely be a new version released on Oct. 15th. Even if you don't want the latest one, the old ones may go on sale. I have an OnHub and two pucks. I will likely get the newest one on Black Friday and give my pucks to my parents over Christmas.

https://9to5google.com/2019/09/17/exclu ... assistant/