burner phone for failing iphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

burner phone for failing iphone?

Post by heartwood »

My iphone 6 battery is shot. I'll probably buy a new phone after the new (android) models come out later this month. I don't want the hassle and cost of a new battery for the iphone and then switching.

Can I get some cheap phone to carry me through for a few weeks that I can transfer my number to?

Are the mechanics simple?
bloom2708

Re: burner phone for failing iphone?

Post by bloom2708 »

what carrier? Most carriers have cheap basic android phones.

Buy a cheap android on Craigslist or Facebook market.

Put the SIM in the new phone.

A few quirks going from Apple to Android, but doable. Just reinstalling apps and logging into things.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

Personally, I would buy a battery case like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8TTRPF/ (not endorsing or recommending this particular one) instead of switching phones twice in a few months.
student

Post by student »

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

mpsz wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:15 pm Personally, I would buy a battery case like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8TTRPF/ (not endorsing or recommending this particular one) instead of switching phones twice in a few months.
I like that solution. Or a compact battery pack would be even cheaper (~$12) and the OP could use it after - https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Slim-Ul ... cs&sr=1-27
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

Just today went thru a drill trying to use a cheaper ZTE android phone as a temporary fix. Several hours later, I can tell you it's a royal pain. Second the suggestion of an external battery case.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Thanks all. I ordered a battery case.
student

Post by student »

penumbra wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 pm Just today went thru a drill trying to use a cheaper ZTE android phone as a temporary fix. Several hours later, I can tell you it's a royal pain. Second the suggestion of an external battery case.
Why is it a royal pain? Just wondering. When we did this a few years ago, it was a simple sim card out, sim card in.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

Another market timing thread...
student

Post by student »

Ping Pong wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 am Another market timing thread...
What market timing? I assume the OP is waiting for Pixel 4, which Google has announced its release date. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... re-battery
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

heartwood wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 pm Thanks all. I ordered a battery case.
Thank you OP, for doing the most obvious and simple intervention to get your phone up and running.
This thread can now be closed.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

UBreakIFix will also swap out batteries. I used them for a cracked screen on my Android phone once and it came out looking new.

If you are set on buying a new phone, not worth it, but if you want to keep your phone for another year - the battery packs can be a bit big (especially if you carry your phone in your pocket.)
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

heartwood wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 pm I don't want the hassle and cost of a new battery for the iphone
You already bought a battery case but on iPhone 6's, due to prior complaints, Apple will swap out the battery with a new one for $29. I did this on my iphone 6 which is still going. It took about an hour for them to do.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

lthenderson wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 am You already bought a battery case but on iPhone 6's, due to prior complaints, Apple will swap out the battery with a new one for $29. I did this on my iphone 6 which is still going. It took about an hour for them to do.
I believe this offer ended on December 31, 2018. However, if you are moderately mechanically inclined, patient, and have the required dexterity, you can replace iPhone batteries yourself quite cheaply. That doesn't mean Apple makes it EASY, but if you buy the toolkit and can follow directions, it's quite achievable.
keaton

Post by keaton »

just do the battery swap yourself, TONS of guides online and its cheap.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:21 am
lthenderson wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 am You already bought a battery case but on iPhone 6's, due to prior complaints, Apple will swap out the battery with a new one for $29. I did this on my iphone 6 which is still going. It took about an hour for them to do.
I believe this offer ended on December 31, 2018. However, if you are moderately mechanically inclined, patient, and have the required dexterity, you can replace iPhone batteries yourself quite cheaply. That doesn't mean Apple makes it EASY, but if you buy the toolkit and can follow directions, it's quite achievable.
You are right. I checked their website and it is now $49 unless you have Apple Care and then it is still free.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Battery case will NOT make your iphone detect new battery. It will still throttle it to crap speed.

Google how to stop throttling due to bad battery.

I'd replace the battery myself for $10 as I always do but not everyone cares/knows how to do it. Most are simply just afraid of opening up electronics.
chambers136

Post by chambers136 »

Momus wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:31 am I'd replace the battery myself for $10 as I always do but not everyone cares/knows how to do it. Most are simply just afraid of opening up electronics.
What's your source for a quality battery? I replaced one in an iPhone 5S and the maximum capacity didn't return to even close to 100%
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I got mine for an iPhone 5 through iFixIt, possibly off Amazon.

^There is a battery conditioning procedure it is recommended you follow after installation. Did you do that?