Fidelity 2FA with google voice not working

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mhalley

Fidelity 2FA with google voice not working

Post by mhalley » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:38 am

Went to logon to my fidelity account and it is not sending the code to my google voice account. Called/texted the number and it is working fine. Anyone else having problems with it?

Silk McCue

Re: Fidelity 2FA with google voice not working

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 am

What did Fidelity say when you called them?

Cheers

batpot

Post by batpot » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:48 pm

not fidelity specifically, but I've experienced that sometimes text messages are delayed.
Do they have a call option? Or an email option? I've always just selected another method when the text isn't received within a minute, and never had a problem.

Topic Author
mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Haven’t called them yet, I was able to do my transaction on the app, it didn’t recognize my browser as I recently cleared cookies to help with slow down.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Some services will not allow 2FA to VoIP numbers, you may want to check their website or call about that.

2FA to txt is a less secure means of 2FA. Something like a YubiKey encryption token would be more secure.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:08 pm

kevinf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 pm
Some services will not allow 2FA to VoIP numbers, you may want to check their website or call about that.

2FA to txt is a less secure means of 2FA. Something like a YubiKey encryption token would be more secure.
Fidelity supports using the Symantec VIP app for 2FA. Much more secure than SMS. They don’t support YubiKey tokens add far as I know though I believe they support Symantec hardware tokens.

Topic Author
mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 pm

2 factor with google voice number had been working fine for several months. I just checked it and it is working again, must have been a temporary glitch at Fido. I asked here as some co don’t allow google voice numbers and wondered if Fido had changed their acceptance of them.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Why not just use the Symantec app? It works fine and is more secure than phone number based 2Fa.

Topic Author
mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I have been considering going to apps or yubikey for my 2fa. I went with the google voice number to make it easier on my wife should I get hit by a bus. I think the google voice 2fa should be pretty safe. Not as safe as the app or the yubikey, but safer than the regular cell phone. If anyone thinks I am wrong, let me know. Maybe I should go yubikey for the google account only?

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:29 pm

I disable SMS 2FA on my Google accounts in favor of the more secure options and use Google Voice for accounts that require SMS 2FA. Google Voice does work for me at Fidelity. It's also worth enabling a SIM PIN lock on your SIM card (found in your phone settings) in case your phone is stolen and they swap the SIM into another phone, as well as setting an account PIN with your mobile provider.

If you go with the Yubikey solution make sure to have 2 or 3 keys stored in different secure locations.

peseta

Post by peseta » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 pm

The irony is that a 2FA text sent to a Google Voice number is probably safer than one sent to a regular mobile number. GV numbers may be better-protected from SIM swap scams:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90349705/ho ... -much-more

peseta

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:33 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:23 pm
I have been considering going to apps or yubikey for my 2fa. I went with the google voice number to make it easier on my wife should I get hit by a bus. I think the google voice 2fa should be pretty safe. Not as safe as the app or the yubikey, but safer than the regular cell phone. If anyone thinks I am wrong, let me know. Maybe I should go yubikey for the google account only?
What you should do in that case is enroll the google account in their Advanced Protection program. You will be required to buy a hardware token. I recommend doing this for google accounts affiliated with online financial accounts (as email, phone, etc).

Topic Author
mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 pm

I do have the pin setup for my cell phone account. I have the google voice number associated with a different email account than the one I use for my financial account. I use complicated passwords stored locally using keepass, and use my iPad or Linux computer for emails and financial transactions. Nothing of a financial nature is done on my phone. I feel this is a pretty good setup security wise, not quite as good as yubikey but fairly safe.

Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am

batpot wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:48 pm
not fidelity specifically, but I've experienced that sometimes text messages are delayed.
Do they have a call option? Or an email option? I've always just selected another method when the text isn't received within a minute, and never had a problem.
Yes......
With many different financial companies, I've found that requesting an automated phone call containing your 2fa code
always works with google voice, but requesting it as a text message rarely works......it never shows up.....
And every company I'm familiar with allows you to CHOOSE getting as a phone call, or text message (or email sometimes)...

Topic Author
mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 pm

When the fidelity 2FA wasn’t working, I wasn’t getting the second screen to select text message vs call. It was some temporary glitch at fidelity. I have never had problems with it before at any of my other financial institutions.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I've been using Google Voice for text based 2FA codes for:

Vanguard
Fidelity
Bank of America
Paypal

For several years now. No problems recently. I wish all of them would convert to OTP codes though.