Would or should you tip AAA road assistance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Would or should you tip AAA road assistance?

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:26 pm

I am not a "big tipper", but regard tipping as a "necessary evil" in the US. I tip normal amounts at restaurants, taxicabs, and Hair Cuttery, hotel assistance with luggage, etc. I rarely ask for or need/want special or extra services.

For AAA Roadside assistance and/or being towed to a repair facility - and not requesting or needing any extra or special service, is a tip for the AAA assistance driver "normal" or "fair" or "expected"? I have never given a tip in such cases, but after being towed recently - I am now wondering what might be "common" or "expected"?

motorcyclesarecool

Re: Would or should you tip AAA road assistance?

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Last time I needed a AAA tow, I gave the driver an orange, a banana, and a fresh bottled water.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 pm

No tip is necessary, they are providing a service that you paid for.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:30 pm
Bingo, I pay enough for their services.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
We pay nothing - new vehicle comes with 5 years of free towing (used once that I can think of, a blowout in the Spring due to huge pothole). If our older vehicle has a problem, we'll pay for a tow.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm
runner3081 wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:
We pay nothing - new vehicle comes with 5 years of free towing (used once that I can think of, a blowout in the Spring due to huge pothole). If our older vehicle has a problem, we'll pay for a tow.
Counterpoint.

I probably saved more than the membership fee by going the used car route :)

If it was just me, I wouldn't have it. We have it for my wife and elementary school daughter when they are out and about. It is too hot to be broken down in the summer in AZ (esp with a 20 year old car).

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

I've used AAA a number of times. Tipping has never even crossed my mind.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:34 pm
runner3081 wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:
Counterpoint.

I probably saved more than the membership fee by going the used car route :)

If it was just me, I wouldn't have it. We have it for my wife and elementary school daughter when they are out and about. It is too hot to be broken down in the summer in AZ (esp with a 20 year old car).
So have we!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Yeah, I usually do. This is particularly true if it's a nasty day or they are having a really tough time getting the wheel off the car or something like that. Or if the trip is unusually long, e.g. when we are camping at a campground--a couple of summers ago the truck they dispatched had to drive fifty miles to get to us.

They are providing a service, but what they are encountering and the amount of work they need to put in, is quite variable.

If the weather is fine and they drive from a garage three miles away, get their booster battery out and jump the car and it starts right away, then, no.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 pm

I haven't used it much lately, but I remember tipping $20 for service which I thought was above and beyond. For standard service, I would not tip.

prudent

Post by prudent » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Tipped $20 once, 6 AM, 10 degrees out, in a snowstorm right outside downtown and got a flat. AAA guy came from 18 miles away since nobody closer would take the call. Ordinarily I would not tip unless there were special circumstances.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:54 pm

I personally think that the dispatch group is underappreciated and should be tipped as well. I paid AAA for this service, if the workers who are doing this feel underpaid and underappreciated, they should talk to their bosses and ask for a raise or find a new job. Saying that, I am polite to service industry workers as I, as many have, held jobs like those when I was younger.

Frankly, most people live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to tip service workers. It's everyone's call whether or not you want to do this, but this tipping thing is starting to feel like some sort of shaming agenda.

I'd prefer to give to the charity of my choice to help people with real needs. As well as save a little more for myself in case our family has a personal emergency, because I guarantee that all these service workers I'm supposed to tip won't give a financial damn about me.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:59 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:26 pm
I am not a "big tipper", but regard tipping as a "necessary evil" in the US. I tip normal amounts at restaurants, taxicabs, and Hair Cuttery, hotel assistance with luggage, etc. I rarely ask for or need/want special or extra services.

For AAA Roadside assistance and/or being towed to a repair facility - and not requesting or needing any extra or special service, is a tip for the AAA assistance driver "normal" or "fair" or "expected"? I have never given a tip in such cases, but after being towed recently - I am now wondering what might be "common" or "expected"?
No, I paid for the service at the advertised price.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Nope.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Is it just me or has this tipping thing gotten out of hand?

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Tipped $20 once because the driver didn't make an issue that I was driving a commercial vehicle which AAA isn't supposed to cover and it was a long tow, just over 100 miles.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm

prudent wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Tipped $20 once, 6 AM, 10 degrees out, in a snowstorm right outside downtown and got a flat. AAA guy came from 18 miles away since nobody closer would take the call. Ordinarily I would not tip unless there were special circumstances.
I did the same thing last weekend. Except it was 100 degrees out, and the driver worked up a huge sweat getting the chains on the car to tow it to the dealership. He earned it.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:42 pm

Stinky wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm
prudent wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:19 pm
I did the same thing last weekend. Except it was 100 degrees out, and the driver worked up a huge sweat getting the chains on the car to tow it to the dealership. He earned it.
+1

A few years ago I tipped an AAA tow truck driver $60 - all the spare cash I had. :happy The back story... Sat, July 4 - water pump went out 5-hours from home. All repair shops closed, no rental cars available in this small town. [Everything was shut down for a July 4th parade]. Tow truck driver recommended a repair shop, towed the vehicle there, then took pity on us and invited us to ride with him and his family into a large city (1 hour away) since he and the family were going there for an anniversary dinner. They dropped us at an airport rental counter. :sharebeer
Drove the rental back to the shop, loaded our luggage and drove home. Two weeks later did a one-way rental to the small town, turned the rental car in, had them drop me at the repair shop, and drove the repaired car home.

Best $60 I spent on the trip!
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

msi

Post by msi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:53 am

Depends how quickly they actually get there.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:33 am

Nope that's ridiculous. It's their job and it's what you are paying the service for.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 am

dm200 wrote:

The older I get and the more money I acquire, the more generous I have gotten in terms of tipping. Most of these service people are not paid enough to pay these basic necessities. If you have the money, I'd recommend tipping service people that are making minimum wage. At least they are out there trying to earn a living and most of those jobs are not fun. Maybe tow truck drivers are paid better than I think.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 am

fortfun wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 am
dm200 wrote:
The older I get and the more money I acquire, the more generous I have gotten in terms of tipping. Most of these service people are not paid enough to pay these basic necessities. If you have the money, I'd recommend tipping service people that are making minimum wage. At least they are out there trying to earn a living and most of those jobs are not fun. Maybe tow truck drivers are paid better than I think.
From a few things I have seen, some folks who normally receive tips as a major part of their income are very well compensated (get a lot of tips), while others (perhaps most) are not.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am

I'd tip them. A few dollars are not going to make a difference to me but might make someone's day.

TravelforFun

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 am
fortfun wrote:
dm200 wrote:
From a few things I have seen, some folks who normally receive tips as a major part of their income are very well compensated (get a lot of tips), while others (perhaps most) are not.
Could be true (i.e. people who clean hotel rooms are poorly paid and probably rarely receive tips).

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 am

fortfun wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 am
dm200 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 am
fortfun wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Could be true (i.e. people who clean hotel rooms are poorly paid and probably rarely receive tips).
Tipping hotel cleaning staff is usual, imho. See: Emily Post.

I normally don't tip AAA, except I do if they change a tire.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:33 am
Nope that's ridiculous. It's their job and it's what you are paying the service for.
Very true. And, how would you know anyway if the guy who answers the call is just an employee, or an owner of the tow truck biz? Owners don't get tipped, only employees

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:12 pm

SquawkIdent wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:48 pm

+1

So I guess there are two of us. Tipping threads here are always the same.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:54 pm

I think tips are personal choices. If you want to give money to somebody, it is absolutely fine. However, if you don't give, that's fine too. If giving makes you happier, then by all mean do it. :D

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:02 pm

My vehicle wouldn't start in an airport long term parking lot. I called the parking lot folks first. A gentleman rolled up in 5 minutes with a truck with jumping terminals on his front bumper. There was no charge. He drove off with a twenty.

My friend and I arrived in our remote camping spot in two vehicles...after dark. His truck was running; he closed the door; it locked; he had no way to get in. There was no cell service, so we drove 15 miles to high ground and called AAA. They met us from the spot that we called them and followed us to the remote camping spot 500 feet off the forest service road....on a steep downhill path. The trees scraped my vehicle driving back. The driver was an independent driving for AAA; I couldn't believe that he backed his rollbak all the way back to the locked up/running truck. They had it open in 5 minutes; they also drove away with a twenty.

I bell hopped at a resort years ago; the salary was low; the tips were usually good. Money was tight, so I really appreciated the tips. Now I tip better than average. I rarely do tip jars; but I always tip at the counter when I pick up a pizza. I do 20% plus at restaurants; I leave a twenty when leaving a VRBO house. I don't necessarily tip because it's expected. I might tip because it's not expected.
Last edited by hudson on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:27 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 am

Tipping hotel cleaning staff is usual, imho. See: Emily Post.

I normally don't tip AAA, except I do if they change a tire.
[/quote]

I agree that it should be "usual," I just don't think it is. Also, I really don't know if Emily Post takes into account the amount of money that people are paid for their hourly work. Personally, if someone is being paid peanuts and they provide good service, I don't mind giving them a few bucks (doesn't matter what Emily Post thinks). I'd love to see more cities/states pay a living wage and then tips wouldn't really matter that much, at least for me.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Minimum wage around here about $12 an hour going to $15 so couldn't imagine tipping cleaning staff. Wait staff who are paid a below minimum rate are the only ones that really need to be tipped. For others, a nice gesture but how do you know the person that cleaned the room will get the cash you left on the table?

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:25 pm

been a AAA member for 40+ years and have never tipped them. (heck, never even thought about it before this thread popped up)

But also never had them change a tire.

khh

Post by khh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm

SquawkIdent wrote:
Not just you. I had a garage door installed and a load of junk hauled away a year or so ago. When I paid the bills, their screens required that I press either "TIP" (then fill in the amount) or "NO TIP". I was a little put off by it.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:11 pm

I have tipped them the two times I used them while having Triple A, and had no issues or qualms about tipping them. Triple A does not have the best reimbursement rates for tow truck drivers. You can argue that it's the driver's fault for participating in Triple A then, but everybody has to make a living.... the $10 to $15 across two cases has not put me in financial destitution...

I generally go to the greatclips /supercuts type places for haircuts --- if you ever want to make somebody's day, tip them more than the cost of the cut. They perk up real fast.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:31 pm

We just had a dead battery at the house and needed to have it replaced.

AAA was on a backlog so I added us to the AAA list and called a local battery delivery/installation service - they wanted $235.

AAA came out an hour later, checked the alternator and the battery and replaced the battery for $125. So I tipped him $15- would have done $20, but that's all I had.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:19 pm

WWJBDo wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:31 pm
We just had a dead battery at the house and needed to have it replaced.

AAA was on a backlog so I added us to the AAA list and called a local battery delivery/installation service - they wanted $235.

AAA came out an hour later, checked the alternator and the battery and replaced the battery for $125. So I tipped him $15- would have done $20, but that's all I had.
hudson wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:02 pm
My vehicle wouldn't start in an airport long term parking lot. I called the parking lot folks first. A gentleman rolled up in 5 minutes with a truck with jumping terminals on his front bumper. There was no charge. He drove off with a twenty.

Heads up folks --- they sell Lithium ion portable engine jumps on Amazon, Costco, and other auto stores that are a little bit bigger than external USB battery packs, cost a bit more, but can jump start start your engine.... They also double over as a USB charger for phones/tablets.

Usually, you can get decent ones for less than $60, and it serves as great peace of mind.

I know that people say, "Well, my auto insurer or Triple A covers this".... but, batteries always fail at the most inconvenient times...

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:40 pm

SquawkIdent wrote:
Yes it is your money getting out of your hand. :wink:

Liam Friend

Post by Liam Friend » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Last two times with AAA:

Older gentleman came out to unlock rental parked at restaurant. Super quick and nice. Tipped $10 to buy him a burrito. Didn’t hurt a bit.

Next event was another AAA driver on a hot day. Car died. No cash on me so no tip. He then gave me a cold bottle of water.

xzhou

Post by xzhou » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am
I'd tip them. A few dollars are not going to make a difference to me but might make someone's day.

TravelforFun
+1. I feel the same way.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 pm

wander wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:54 pm
I think tips are personal choices. If you want to give money to somebody, it is absolutely fine. However, if you don't give, that's fine too. If giving makes you happier, then by all mean do it. :D
+ 1

SR II

Post by SR II » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Same here. Have used it since 1972 and never thought of tipping.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:38 pm

SR II wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:35 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Same here. Have used it since 1972 and never thought of tipping.
+1
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

DemySD

Post by DemySD » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:58 am

Went to a bakery. Pointed at the pastry in the display I wanted. The girl picked it up, put it in a box then rotated an iPad towards me to select a tip with recommendations starting at 15% and going up to 25%.

Next day went to a convention in NYC. Had food trucks selling sandwiches at triple the price. Guy writes down my order then hands me a phone with a 15% tip automatically added to the price. A button drops the tip 1% per press. Had to stand in front of the guy staring me down as I tap his phone 15 times.

This is getting out of hand. They should tip me for paying them $40 bucks for 2 cold sandwiches and a watered down lemonade. Service was very slow by the way. Would it have been faster if I gave them an extra $6?

I'll answer that. Nope.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:17 am

DemySD wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:58 am
Went to a bakery. Pointed at the pastry in the display I wanted. The girl picked it up, put it in a box then rotated an iPad towards me to select a tip with recommendations starting at 15% and going up to 25%.
Next day went to a convention in NYC. Had food trucks selling sandwiches at triple the price. Guy writes down my order then hands me a phone with a 15% tip automatically added to the price. A button drops the tip 1% per press. Had to stand in front of the guy staring me down as I tap his phone 15 times.
This is getting out of hand. They should tip me for paying them $40 bucks for 2 cold sandwiches and a watered down lemonade. Service was very slow by the way. Would it have been faster if I gave them an extra $6?
I'll answer that. Nope.
Wow! I agree that these things show that some tipping has, indeed, gotten out of control!

I wonder, in your cited cases, how many folks do tip, and how much?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am

DemySD wrote:

I'll answer that. Nope.
It is bizarre, it just came out of nowhere...fast. I worked a ton of these jobs while putting myself through school - furniture mover, building materials area at home improvement megastore, ice cream scooper, grocery checker - and I honestly do not believe I ever received a single tip (nor did I ever expect one). It's not like this was the 50's, I was loading 80lbs. bags of concrete into people's trucks as a 2nd job (while working on my PhD) as recent as '09.

Not specifically to avoid tipping, but I just avoid "service" as much as I can; no eating out, I'll load my own building materials into my car, I'll carry my own bags, etc. Stops me from being the poster to start the daily "should I tip X" thread.

elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 am

Always tip if u r happy with the service. 5 bucks normally
U guys are cheap

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:26 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am
DemySD wrote:
I'll answer that. Nope.
It is bizarre, it just came out of nowhere...fast. I worked a ton of these jobs while putting myself through school - furniture mover, building materials area at home improvement megastore, ice cream scooper, grocery checker - and I honestly do not believe I ever received a single tip (nor did I ever expect one). It's not like this was the 50's, I was loading 80lbs. bags of concrete into people's trucks as a 2nd job (while working on my PhD) as recent as '09.
Not specifically to avoid tipping, but I just avoid "service" as much as I can; no eating out, I'll load my own building materials into my car, I'll carry my own bags, etc. Stops me from being the poster to start the daily "should I tip X" thread.
I never worked in any position where I received tips, or even was in any situation to receive a tip.

I would like to hear more from those who have personal knowledge about tipping - and their experiences, current tipping practices, and so on.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 am

dm200 wrote:

Nope. I have used them a few times, never did pay them. I always felt they are already paid for their services from AAA membership dues.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:45 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 am
dm200 wrote:

Nope. I have used them a few times, never did pay them. I always felt they are already paid for their services from AAA membership dues.
+1
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:50 pm

How grateful were you that he responded to your call vs. leaving you by the side of the road? Your call.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.