Is It Too Late to Stain My House? (Massachusetts)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Is It Too Late to Stain My House? (Massachusetts)

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:12 pm

I have a good painter, and he's given me a good price to stain my house in Massachusetts, in a western Boston suburb. However, the "rule" for staining seems to be not to stain at less than 50 degrees. In October temperatures here (esp. at night) dip into the 40s. The Boston Globe (David Epstein, for any locals), had a "What to Expect From October's Weather" article today, showing that during the first half of the month daytime temps are expected to average around 60, but nighttime temps are mostly in the 40s. And that's just the first two weeks of the month - it will be colder by the second half of the month.

This is a two week job, which will be interrupted by rain days, so it's entirely possible the job could last into November.

The painter is kind of pressuring me - he insists he can get this done in time, and that temperature won't be a problem. I'm tempted to take my chances. I'd appreciate any advice from Bogleheads with more knowledge about this than I have. Is there a "don't paint (or stain) in Massachusetts in late October" rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

SanityCheck

Re: Is It Too Late to Stain My House? (Massachusetts)

Post by SanityCheck » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:22 pm

I vote "no go"....why risk a very expensive project; when there is a risk that the stain will not cure/set properly. You may even get temp's into the 30's by the time the job is finished.

How much is the job costing ?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Is the rule for painting the same? Same geographical location.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:30 pm

+1 on “no go” to paint or stain in the Northeast in late October - November. Not surprised your painter is pressuring you as he wants to understandably get another job in before stopping for the winter. Ask to be scheduled in late May to early June.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Staining below 50 degrees will slow down the curing process so it will take more time. The big thing you need to avoid is temperatures falling below freezing (32 F) before the stain is fully cured because freezing temperatures can alter the chemical reaction and cause it to never fully cure.

Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm
Staining below 50 degrees will slow down the curing process so it will take more time. The big thing you need to avoid is temperatures falling below freezing (32 F) before the stain is fully cured because freezing temperatures can alter the chemical reaction and cause it to never fully cure.
Under 32 degrees seems unlikely, but certainly not impossible. If we get a lot of rain in October, it could delay the job and push it to very late in the month/November, and freezing is not inconceivable then.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:26 pm

SanityCheck wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:22 pm
I vote "no go"....why risk a very expensive project; when there is a risk that the stain will not cure/set properly. You may even get temp's into the 30's by the time the job is finished.

How much is the job costing ?
Cost is just under $9,000.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm
If we get a lot of rain in October, it could delay the job and push it to very late in the month/November, and freezing is not inconceivable then.
In my two years around here, if I have any outside work scheduled, it rains a lot. If they’re working indoors, the weather is perfect.

OP, thank you for posting this thread. I was going to be overly optimistic. I hope to convince my wife to postpone the painting until springtime.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Conversely, this spring our stain contractor Waited until daily highs were in the 60’s before they would start our job. Chicago area. So probably good to defer, and maybe a more honest contractor is also warranted.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:12 pm
I have a good painter, and he's given me a good price to stain my house in Massachusetts, in a western Boston suburb. However, the "rule" for staining seems to be not to stain at less than 50 degrees.

This is a two week job, which will be interrupted by rain days, so it's entirely possible the job could last into November.
It's too late.
Very Stable Genius

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm

Absolutely do not do this.

Also, hire someone else.