Recourse for "Stolen" Money

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
randomguy

Re: Recourse for "Stolen" Money

Post by randomguy »

beergod wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:52 pm On a somewhat related topic: As a seller of a high dollar item like a car, how safe are cashier's checks and money orders?

I once had to decline a buyer offering to buy my car because he did not have cash and only had a cashier's check, he had traveled 3 hours by train to meet me. But I was too nervous about the potential for a scam to agree. I also stated cash only in the ad.
It is a pretty common scam to buy something with a money order or cashier check that is fake.You can try and verify the cashier check by calling the bank (using a number on their website not the check) or by hitting a local branch but I don't think that actually guarantees the check is legit. You can google around both of these types of payments and craigslist fraud to see all the ways people get ripped off.

Now to some extent, it is a tough situation if you have a somewhat expensive good. Asking someone to show up with say 1500 in cash is reasonable. Asking them to show up with 15k, though is pushing it.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

One more minor thing to try is reporting it to Western Union, as well:
https://wucare.westernunion.com/s/artic ... uage=en_US

Perhaps it accomplishes nothing more than forcing the scammer to go through extra work to churn Western Union accounts more quickly, but that does at least reduce the incentive slightly.
Silence Dogood wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:46 pm This is not a fatalist attitude toward crime. If the circumstances were different, it may be worth it to pursue, but this is $200 stolen by a random stranger on the internet.
chevca wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm It's not a fatalist attitude toward crime. It's a realistic attitude toward being scammed. Still a crime? Yes. Anything to do about it? No.
There's actually two sentiments expressed by both of you. One is a pragmatic recommendation based in part on the relatively small value. I think it's pretty reasonable to question whether it's worth the effort. The other is fatalist, based in part on the conclusion that recovering the money is the only measure of accomplishment.
Silence Dogood wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:46 pm If, by some chance, he actually does live at the address provided, what do you propose the OP do? The OP's personal safety is paramount.
Including that information in a report to, depending how much effort they want to put into it, Western union, the police, or a court filing.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 pm There's actually two sentiments expressed by both of you. One is a pragmatic recommendation based in part on the relatively small value. I think it's pretty reasonable to question whether it's worth the effort. The other is fatalist, based in part on the conclusion that recovering the money is the only measure of accomplishment.
iamlucky13,

The OP can feel accomplished by making his family and friends more aware of these types of scams.

OP has certainly made us all more aware.

How to Avoid Western Union Scams
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 pm
Silence Dogood wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:46 pm If, by some chance, he actually does live at the address provided, what do you propose the OP do? The OP's personal safety is paramount.
Including that information in a report to, depending how much effort they want to put into it, Western union, the police, or a court filing.
Over $200, I would be reluctant to even do this. It could cause someone else a headache.

I think you are overestimating the likelihood that the scammer lives at the address provided.

What if the scammer gave the OP your name and address?
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

While stub hub has high fees, they do provide some assurance that you are getting legit tickets, and it is a real marketplace where you can see what everybody is asking for specified tickets / locations.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

You lost me at Western Union....
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

beergod wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:52 pm On a somewhat related topic: As a seller of a high dollar item like a car, how safe are cashier's checks and money orders?
Regardless of the form of payment (cash or cashier’s check), I would require the buyer to meet me (and the car) at their bank so both of us could go in together to have a teller guarantee that the check or cash was legitimate and to give me cash for the check.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Some people like Craigslist, but I think it's like the wild West(ern Union).

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

randomguy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:15 pm

I once had to decline a buyer offering to buy my car because he did not have cash and only had a cashier's check, he had traveled 3 hours by train to meet me. But I was too nervous about the potential for a scam to agree. I also stated cash only in the ad.
It is a pretty common scam to buy something with a money order or cashier check that is fake.You can try and verify the cashier check by calling the bank (using a number on their website not the check) or by hitting a local branch but I don't think that actually guarantees the check is legit. You can google around both of these types of payments and craigslist fraud to see all the ways people get ripped off.

Now to some extent, it is a tough situation if you have a somewhat expensive good. Asking someone to show up with say 1500 in cash is reasonable. Asking them to show up with 15k, though is pushing it.
Have used a cashiers check a couple times as both a buyer and a seller. Met at the bank of the buyer and had the cashier check done in the presence of the seller.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:18 pm
Have used a cashiers check a couple times as both a buyer and a seller. Met at the bank of the buyer and had the cashier check done in the presence of the seller.
That is pretty much the only way to use them. Unless you see the check printed at the bank, you have no way of verifying it is legit. It doesn't work though when the bank isn't local (i.e. you want to buy a car 3 states away and the nearest branch is 50 miles away). The important part is to understand the limitations of the various payment schemes and make sure you know what risks you are taking on.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I think it's more than just whether cashier's checks and money orders are safe. It's the whole vibe. My daughter sold her car on Craigslist (something like $9,000). By the time the sale happened, she knew the buyer pretty well (he had come to inspect the car). She took the car to a local dealer, and he paid for inspection, but never had possession. Then they met at a notary because he wanted bill of sale for MVA. He gave her a check from his credit union (he borrowed to buy car), she gave him title. She mobile deposited check. We drove car to his house, took the tags, and left the keys. Nothing is absolutely safe, but I thought it was a reasonably safe transaction. If it was me, I'd just take the car to CarMax, but she probably made an extra $2,000, and she's much less hassle-averse than I am.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:04 pm I think what the most shocking thing to me about this whole situation, is that Western Union still exists, and that somebody used it. :oops:
It still has legitimate uses and in some cases, it is about the only legal and safe way to transfer funds over long distances if the recipient does not have a bank account or there is a legitimate proxy in-between. Those situations are few and far between though.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

michaelingp wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 am

I think it's more than just whether cashier's checks and money orders are safe. It's the whole vibe. My daughter sold her car on Craigslist (something like $9,000). By the time the sale happened, she knew the buyer pretty well (he had come to inspect the car). She took the car to a local dealer, and he paid for inspection, but never had possession. Then they met at a notary because he wanted bill of sale for MVA. He gave her a check from his credit union (he borrowed to buy car), she gave him title. She mobile deposited check. We drove car to his house, took the tags, and left the keys. Nothing is absolutely safe, but I thought it was a reasonably safe transaction. If it was me, I'd just take the car to CarMax, but she probably made an extra $2,000, and she's much less hassle-averse than I am.
She could have driven to his credit union and had the teller hand her the check. We did that on our last vehicle sale. Then we drove to our house, and they drove the car home after dropping us off.
runner3081 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:14 pm
fishmonger wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:08 pm ...buy some football tickets off Craigslist ... Sent him the funds Western Union
From the Craigslist site (on every single page and ad):
"Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping."

Looks like you fell for the craigslist scammer. Consider yourself lucky it was only $200 and move on.

How do you know that is really his cell number and address?
This is the crux of the issue. The OP has been scammed by a seller and needs to report this to the police immediately. The money is likely gone. People who use Craigslist should not only follow the warnings given by Craigslist, but assume that every transaction could be a scam and take steps to protect themselves. We've done hundreds and hundreds of CL transactions.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I can very easily list a fake ticket on craigslist.

Then, I'll give you my name and phone number. I am Donald Trump and I live at 1600 Pennsylvania AVE NW, Washington, DC. I'll then call/text you from my spoofed number 202 456-1111. Google that. You'll find that my name, address and telephone number all match. Now tell me how these tickets are expected to be legitimate. Thank you for your western union cash.

Craigslist means face to face exchange of thing for money. Of course the tickets could be fake, but this is much harder to do than the simple scam pulled above. I'd never buy tickets this way. A guitar....sure.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
macheta

Post by macheta »

Report it to the police, learn your lesson and move on.
chw

Post by chw »

You have 2 options:

1) File a small claims action against the Seller. Even this will likely result in no money being received, though a default judgement would be a black mark on the Seller's credit profile.
2) Walk away.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but walking away is the best option. Continuing to try to get a refund in another way (such as showing up at his front door) may result in an undesirable outcome.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

Mailing any type cash/ cashier checks/ money orders before receiving goods ALWAYS has scam written all over it.

I would just walk away. You probably werent his first, nor will you be his last victim.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:42 pm
fishmonger wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:08 pm I have his address and cell phone number.
Have you stopped by and rang the doorbell? I have run into people over the years quick to blow off emails and such but when you see them face to face, they will do the right thing after making a lame excuse or too. It might also answer the question as to if this was a scammer using a fake address.
Not to overstereotype the US of A.

But what if the person has a gun? Could this not go horribly wrong?

Even in the UK I can think of all kinds of ways this would end badly - I would bring along a (large) friend in the UK. And in the USA?
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

chevca wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 pm
runner3081 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:14 pmConsider yourself lucky it was only $200 and move on.
Why move on?

My take: accomplishing anything significant either to restore what was stolen from you or to hold this crook accountable may take more effort than $200 is worth.

However, if you have the time, patience, and desire to do something about it, the value to the society as a whole may be much more than $200 if it helps stop him from continuing his crimes.

It seems to me a police report is an appropriate starting place. No guarantees the police will follow up on it, but you can at least try.

I don't understand a fatalist attitude toward crime.
It's not a fatalist attitude toward crime. It's a realistic attitude toward being scammed. Still a crime? Yes. Anything to do about it? No.

Move on. :happy
Or just basic awareness that you are probably not a police officer.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Cashier checks and money orders can be and are routinely bogus. You can deposit cashier checks, have them "clear" and later be liable for the full amount. Checks being "cleared" and being settled are two different things.

The only safe option when someone presents a cashiers check or money order is to cash it at the originating financial institution before releasing the product for sale. If it is a significant amount of money, you may want to convert it back to a cashiers check or money order. If that is not possible it is far too risky to accept a cashiers check or money order.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Valuethinker wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:44 am
lthenderson wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:42 pm
fishmonger wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:08 pm I have his address and cell phone number.
Have you stopped by and rang the doorbell? I have run into people over the years quick to blow off emails and such but when you see them face to face, they will do the right thing after making a lame excuse or too. It might also answer the question as to if this was a scammer using a fake address.
Not to overstereotype the US of A.

But what if the person has a gun? Could this not go horribly wrong?

Even in the UK I can think of all kinds of ways this would end badly - I would bring along a (large) friend in the UK. And in the USA?
First of all, I would never confront the person as several people have responded to my suggestion have said. I would be polite and say something along the lines, "I just happened to be in the neighborhood and stopped by to see if you had my refund." If the person acted confused or confrontational back to me, I would apologize and leave.

Secondly, you chances of getting shot by knocking at the door of a stranger by asking a question are far less than many other ways you are more likely to die such as falling or getting in a motor vehicle accident.
z91

Post by z91 »

I've done my fair share of deals on Craigslist and online. I've made it a habit to check Google to see if my information is out there (address and phone number), and do my best to remove it when possible.

It's likely the scammer tried to find someone's information that was local and could be easily looked up online so OP would think it's legit.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

chw wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:47 am 1) File a small claims action against the Seller. Even this will likely result in no money being received, though a default judgement would be a black mark on the Seller's credit profile.
It's unlikely that the seller is who he claims to be. The name that the seller provided is likely a stolen identity, so getting a default judgment against the real person with that name and placing a black mark on their credit profile would be unlikely, not to mention unjust, and would have no effect on the seller's credit profile.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 am I can very easily list a fake ticket on craigslist. Then, I'll give you my name and phone number. I am Donald Trump and I live at 1600 Pennsylvania AVE NW, Washington, DC. I'll then call/text you from my spoofed number 202 456-1111. Google that. You'll find that my name, address and telephone number all match. Now tell me how these tickets are expected to be legitimate. Thank you for your western union cash.
The problem with your scenario is you would also need ID that says you are Donald Trump in order to pick up the western union cash.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

MichCPA wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:57 am
chevca wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 pm
runner3081 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:14 pmConsider yourself lucky it was only $200 and move on.
Why move on?

My take: accomplishing anything significant either to restore what was stolen from you or to hold this crook accountable may take more effort than $200 is worth.

However, if you have the time, patience, and desire to do something about it, the value to the society as a whole may be much more than $200 if it helps stop him from continuing his crimes.

It seems to me a police report is an appropriate starting place. No guarantees the police will follow up on it, but you can at least try.

I don't understand a fatalist attitude toward crime.
It's not a fatalist attitude toward crime. It's a realistic attitude toward being scammed. Still a crime? Yes. Anything to do about it? No.

Move on. :happy
Hence why, if the OP does want to try something, filing a police report should probably be one of the considerations.

Again, I argue the balanced recommendation is not, "Don't bother. Your efforts are doomed to fail" (fatalism) but rather, "You'll probably expend more than $200 worth of effort and might not get anywhere."

And there's always the opportunity to contribute further, like, "but if you want to try, perhaps X can help."
chevca

Post by chevca »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm Again, I argue the balanced recommendation is not, "Don't bother. Your efforts are doomed to fail" (fatalism) but rather, "You'll probably expend more than $200 worth of effort and might not get anywhere."
Six of one, half dozen of the other, in my book.

I can appreciate your optimism though. It's just not realistic.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm
MichCPA wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:57 am
Hence why, if the OP does want to try something, filing a police report should probably be one of the considerations.

Again, I argue the balanced recommendation is not, "Don't bother. Your efforts are doomed to fail" (fatalism) but rather, "You'll probably expend more than $200 worth of effort and might not get anywhere."

And there's always the opportunity to contribute further, like, "but if you want to try, perhaps X can help."
I would argue that dissuading the OP from pursuing a physical confrontation is a contribution. File the police report, let the police give further advice.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

chevca wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm Again, I argue the balanced recommendation is not, "Don't bother. Your efforts are doomed to fail" (fatalism) but rather, "You'll probably expend more than $200 worth of effort and might not get anywhere."

I wouldn't even call it optimism. I'm just not willing to settle for calling petty crimes completely hopeless to address.

Speaking from personal experience, the police in my area apprehended a mail thief with some of our mail a couple years ago. The detective on the case followed through by correlating reports of stolen mail with items he had in his possession as evidence to use in the prosecution.

Unfortunately, there are more out there, as I have documented with Informed Delivery, but one less helps. And in the future, if I have mail items of any significant value stolen, I will go ahead and report them.

So again, I don't see why even simple actions like reporting the theft are being discouraged.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm
chevca wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:25 pm

I wouldn't even call it optimism. I'm just not willing to settle for calling petty crimes completely hopeless to address.

Speaking from personal experience, the police in my area apprehended a mail thief with some of our mail a couple years ago. The detective on the case followed through by correlating reports of stolen mail with items he had in his possession as evidence to use in the prosecution.

Unfortunately, there are more out there, as I have documented with Informed Delivery, but one less helps. And in the future, if I have mail items of any significant value stolen, I will go ahead and report them.

So again, I don't see why even simple actions like reporting the theft are being discouraged.
There is a difference between telling someone to not expect recovery and telling someone to not even report the crime. I would agree with the former and discourage the latter. I don't see a significant amount of posters discouraging reporting to the police. There does seem to be widespread skepticism of recovery without excessive effort. By all means report, its a service to the public and more complaints would lead to action, but I just don't expect recovery.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

With a cashiers check the cash is removed from the check buyers account immediately. Buyer can cancel the cashiers check though. I would think going to a branch of the issuing bank with the car buyer and depositing/cashing it would be 100% safe?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Silence Dogood wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:49 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 pm There's actually two sentiments expressed by both of you. One is a pragmatic recommendation based in part on the relatively small value. I think it's pretty reasonable to question whether it's worth the effort. The other is fatalist, based in part on the conclusion that recovering the money is the only measure of accomplishment.
iamlucky13,

The OP can feel accomplished by making his family and friends more aware of these types of scams.

OP has certainly made us all more aware.

How to Avoid Western Union Scams
I want to thank OP for posting, to make us all more aware.

I continue to be fascinated by all of the varied responses from BHs on matters as simple as thus. I really enjoy this Board.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm I wouldn't even call it optimism. I'm just not willing to settle for calling petty crimes completely hopeless to address.

The crime the OP is a victim of is very different from the crime you described.

Of course, if it makes the OP feel better he should report it to police, but let's be realistic about what to expect.

I still don't think you fully grasp the nature of the crime the OP fell victim to.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Silence Dogood wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:51 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm I wouldn't even call it optimism. I'm just not willing to settle for calling petty crimes completely hopeless to address.

The crime the OP is a victim of is very different from the crime you described.

Of course, if it makes the OP feel better he should report it to police, but let's be realistic about what to expect.

I still don't think you fully grasp the nature of the crime the OP fell victim to.
Both are small value crimes with low chance of being apprehended. The OP perpetrator may or may not be local. They may not even be in the country. These are reasons for low hope of resolution, not for completely dismissing all hope.
Skidoo800

Post by Skidoo800 »

I sold a vehicle on craigslist earlier this year for over $20,000.
In the add I posted cash only.

Since I am a snowbird and not where I normally bank I had talked to the local Wells Fargo branch about opening an account if they would do the transaction and notarize the paper work.
They agreed.

After the buyer and I agreed on the price we met at the Wells Fargo branch office and the buyer presented the cash to the teller who counted it and deposited in my new account. I never touched the money.
Wells Fargo notarized the documents and everything worked well.

FYI, the buyer said it took 3 days and 4 banks to get $20,000 in cash.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

mptfan wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:34 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:33 pm Next time use paypal.
Next time meet the guy in person and give him the money after he hands you the tickets.
And meet him inside a police station
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 am
Next time meet the guy in person and give him the money after he hands you the tickets.
And meet him inside a police station
Maybe not a great idea in the case of tickets to an event in states where such sales > the purchase price are illegal.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

Next time meet the guy in person, in the police department lobby, and give him the money after he hands you the tickets.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

mptfan wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:39 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 am I can very easily list a fake ticket on craigslist. Then, I'll give you my name and phone number. I am Donald Trump and I live at 1600 Pennsylvania AVE NW, Washington, DC. I'll then call/text you from my spoofed number 202 456-1111. Google that. You'll find that my name, address and telephone number all match. Now tell me how these tickets are expected to be legitimate. Thank you for your western union cash.
The problem with your scenario is you would also need ID that says you are Donald Trump in order to pick up the western union cash.
Why is that a problem? A quick google will give you any of a dozen sites that will send you a nice id with your photo and whatever name you want to give which will get the job done. Seriously google how many western union scams are out there. Getting the money from western union ins't going to be a problem.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I can get your $200 back for you. I have a large foreign account I am trying to liquidate out of my country into USA. If you wire me $100 I will wire you back $300.
Last edited by toofache32 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Who still uses western union? That screams scam from the beginning.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

sergeant wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 pm
Next time meet the guy in person, in the police department lobby, and give him the money after he hands you the tickets.
Which could easily be fake :)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Not sure what you can do with it going south and escalating quickly.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:06 pm
sergeant wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 pm
Which could easily be fake :)
I was the station Watch Commander the last 7 years of my career. There were thousands of transactions that happened in our public lobby. I never once had anyone report any type of fraud from a deal that went down in our lobby. Our lobby like almost every other police lobby in America has cameras that record everything. We also have cameras in our parking lot that shows every vehicle that parks. Bad guys tend not to want to conduct business inside of a police department for some reason.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Individuals selling tickets for more than face value (scalping) are not likely going to want to do such transactions inside a police station in the many states where it is illegal.