Any credit cards with good price matching protection?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

Any credit cards with good price matching protection?

Post by miamivice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:33 am

Now that Citi Rewind is done, I am missing it already.

Are there other credit cards that have price protection benefits similar to Citi Price Rewind (find a different price from any vendor within 60 days, get a refund)? How hard is their claim submittal process?

We received $1140 in rebates from Citi for this program in 2 years, and if I could duplicate it elsewhere, that'd be amazing.

RickBoglehead

Re: Any credit cards with good price matching protection?

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:35 am

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit- ... rice-drop/

We also used Citi's Price Rewind quite a bit, but it was garbage. Many times the item wasn't in their database, or if it was in the database it was listed 27 times, and you had no idea which one was going to match. We also found that it missed probably 75% of the price drops, which we caught by either using CamelCamelCamel or rechecking websites. Then they dropped big box stores like Costco. Still was worth having, I got a $30 refund last week. You can submit things that you bought up until the cut-off within the required timeframe.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am

What are some examples of purchases you've made that qualify?
Think I used it twice on Discover before they cancelled it.

Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:02 am

batpot wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am
What are some examples of purchases you've made that qualify?
Think I used it twice on Discover before they cancelled it.
The way it worked on Citi is that if you found a better price from any store than where you bought it (just the item price, not including shipping/handling), you submitted a claim and got the difference refunded.

For example, I just bought an Avery binder for $7.00 (free shipping). I found another store that sold the same binder for $2.80 (plus shipping). If Citi Price Rewind was still a thing, I would have submitted a claim and receive the difference in price refunded to my card.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:25 am

Actually, it was a better price from anywhere, including the store you bought it at, although they had recently removed warehouse stores like Costco (who price matches themselves for 30 days).

If you bought something at Amazon, you could set a price alert at CamelCamelCamel and it would flag it for you. I'm waiting to see the lowest price on a WiFi thermostat I bought.

Most of the time, the software (a 3rd party, not Citi) didn't find a price drop, you had to. And their database was garbage. I bought an item at Home Depot that was listed in various forms about 30 times. Which one do you grab as what you bought to get a match?

I bought a Milwaukee Tool set at Northern Tool, and it went on sale at Home Depot. I got $130 back.
I bought a portable AC unit and got back $53.
A TV and got $40.

And more.

All in all, it was too much work and should have been much better to use. I suspect most people never used it, same ones that don't mail in rebates... I stacked up hundreds of dollars in rebates this summer at Menard's.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am

I know how it works, I was just surprised at your dollar figure. I think the best I ever did was get like $80 back on a cell phone, because 1 walmart in the area had it on clearance. I took a screenshot from the walmart page showing the price, and that was enough.
But I don't buy enough high dollar things to even bother trying to price match, and when I do, it's usually because they're already on sale.

You got over $1k on $5 price matches? :shock:

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:37 am

I didn't submit a lot of things that were small potatoes, because it wasn't worth it.

According to the site, I got back $161.23.

I liked the extra 2 year warranty benefit on the cards much more, plus the 2% cashback. Now that only the Costco Citi card has the 2 year warranty, it will become more dominant in my wallet.

Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:17 pm

batpot wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am
I know how it works, I was just surprised at your dollar figure. I think the best I ever did was get like $80 back on a cell phone, because 1 walmart in the area had it on clearance. I took a screenshot from the walmart page showing the price, and that was enough.
But I don't buy enough high dollar things to even bother trying to price match, and when I do, it's usually because they're already on sale.

You got over $1k on $5 price matches? :shock:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't catch the nature of your inquiry.

Almost all of my purchases were small dollar rebates, most under $20. I would purchase something, do a Google Shopping search, and find a lower price. In fact, my lowest dollar rebate that I ever claimed was $0.01 on a plumbing fitting. (That wasn't worth the time it took, but it was an experiment to see if they'd process the claim.) I would take a screenshot of the receipt, screenshot of the lower price, and submit it. Took maybe 3 minutes.

I never used the auto search feature because I could do better on my own.

Looking at the site, I submitted a total of 70 claims, so my average rebate would have been $16.

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Cards offering price protection are falling like dominoes.

Mastercard removed Price Protection as a feature back in July: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/masterca ... ng_Removed

One of the last banks still offering Price Protection (Barclays) also will be cutting that benefit as of November 1st: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... rotection/

MAR888

Post by MAR888 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:50 am

This Mastercard from Chase/IHG still has price protection. Check it out. Until 10/9, there is also a generous bonus of hotel points:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-c ... protection

MAR888

Post by MAR888 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Just received notification today (10/10) that they are CANCELLING the price protection benefit!

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 pm

I think it's a feature that got heavily abused by some and hence it's no longer worth carrying/offering for the issuers.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 pm

I think we can thank forum member miamivice as a primary reason for this benefit being cancelled. :P

Like so many credit card benefits, milk em while you can. :greedy :sharebeer

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Jumping from credit card to credit card to avoid losing price matching is about as pointless as jumping from one savings account to another to avoid the falling interest rates. Just as all interest rates will fall, all credit cards will lose the price matching benefit. It's just taking time for this change to ripple through the community.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 pm
I think it's a feature that got heavily abused by some and hence it's no longer worth carrying/offering for the issuers.
Yeah, technology made it easier for people to track price changes and if a bunch of people were getting hundreds of dollars back a year, it just isn't cost effective.