Recommendation for Carry on Luggage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
theplayer11

Recommendation for Carry on Luggage

Post by theplayer11 »

Looking to replace my carry on luggage. We travel to Europe once a year and want the carry on to be right
size for smaller European carriers like Ryan Air, Aegean, ect.... but be able to carry as much as possible(we don't check bags) I prefer wheels to roll as I also carry a small backpack as my personal item. What is the best quality carry on that is also a good value?
Student2

Re: Recommendation for Carry on Luggage

Post by Student2 »

I have lately grown quite fond of Away ]https://www.awaytravel.com/. They're the luggage you've seen in airports that has a built-in battery. The battery is easily removable at the gate even, if you need, and the company is decent. I had an older version of the Away larger carry-on and I had to unscrew the assembly from the inside to get the battery out. When they went to their new assembly, that lets you easily 'pop out' the battery from the outside, they notified their previous customers and allowed them to get a free assembly for free. And their luggage is guaranteed for life, with a limited lifetime warranty that covers the shell, wheels, handles, zippers, basically everything except the battery, which has a two-year guarantee.I bought one for my mom recently, when she needed another suitcase for a longer trip.

You can figure out which size you need here (https://www.awaytravel.com/help/product), just scroll down to the "products" section. And no, I have no affiliation to the company except as a customer.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Keep in mind a lot of European airlines go by weight AND size. A roll aboard will eat up a lot of that allowed weight and is more likely to attract the attention of those who do the weighing. For that reason I use a Tom Bihn 30l Aeronaut as my one bag for traveling. So far it has never been weighed or questioned.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:07 pm Looking to replace my carry on luggage. We travel to Europe once a year and want the carry on to be right
size for smaller European carriers like Ryan Air, Aegean, ect.... but be able to carry as much as possible(we don't check bags) I prefer wheels to roll as I also carry a small backpack as my personal item. What is the best quality carry on that is also a good value?
Caution: some European airlines have weight as well as size restrictions for carry-on luggage. You may be limited to a mere 8 or 10kg. You sure don’t want much of that allowance to be suitcase weight.

I’m in Europe now with IT rolling suitcase, marketed as “the world’s lightest luggage,” and a Pacsafe anti-theft (pickpocketproof) “city” backpack. Plus a Scottevest hoodie and jacket.

Here’s a recent thread on the topic: Carryon luggage for international travel
DigitalJanitor

Post by DigitalJanitor »

I've been very pleased with eBags (https://www.ebags.com), especially the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible backpack and the TLS 22" Expandable Wheeled Carry-On. I had earlier tried the Rick Steves Classic Back Door Bag, but found the quality and sturdiness to be lacking.
BelVita

Post by BelVita »

I travel a lot. I fly international about 6-8 x per year and then domestic about 10x. I spent a lot of time trying different luggage and my go to bag is a TravelPro International wheeled carryon (I hate rollers). I also have the eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible which is good for when I travel with my kids but if I’m alone I like pullin my bag behind me instead of wearing it on my back.

If you are planning on constantly moving in Europe with a lot of walking on cobble stone roads I’d get the eBags
dockidny

Post by dockidny »

Our family has been extremely happy with Osprey Ozone carry-on bags -- my daughter and I each have the wheeled one and my husband likes the backpack version. Super-lightweight but durable, stylish, excellent quality, lifetime guarantee, holds a surprising amount but fits comfortably in overhead compartment.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

+1 on watching the weight. A lot of foreign airlines have 22.5 lb (10 kg) limits for carry-ons. If your bag weighs 8 pounds....
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Briggs and Riley has an excellent reputation and a lifetime warranty. I've used a version of this and been very happy: https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Har ... 00JFB584S/ (There are some bad reviews but a lot of them seem to be buyers who bought this thinking it was a larger suitcase raterh than a carry-on, which this is.) $257, but there's a coupon (that was clipped automatically for me) that brings it to just over $200.

ETA: Here's a soft B&R bag, fabric and expandable: https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Tra ... 07FSQ7W1S/.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I recommend you visit www.ebags.com. They have a category specific to Carry On luggage.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I travel a lot, both domestically and internationally (airline pilot). I have been happy with this.

https://www.briggs-riley.com/products/b ... -ut125cxsp

It’s a little pricey, but if you travel a lot I think it’s worth the investment.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:32 am I travel a lot, both domestically and internationally (airline pilot). I have been happy with this.

It’s a little pricey, but if you travel a lot I think it’s worth the investment.
I've snuck more than a few slightly oversized bags past the airline sizers, but at 25 inches tall there's absolutely no way that will be accepted as a carry-on, which is what OP is asking for. (Maybe different rules apply for airline pilots but OP isn't one.)
Topic Author
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

I usually fly Ryan Air and their limit is 10KG. I will be flying Aegean and Air Portugal on my next trip and they are both 8KG(17.6 pounds). we have done 2 week European vacations with a carry on the last 4 years, but never with 17.6 pound limit. We still will not check a bag because we love the freedom of not having to wait and being able to roll a small carry on between multiple cities. Losing 4.5 lbs though will make it a lot tougher, might have to pack some jeans in my backpack carry on, but Air Portugal states 2KG limit.
Last edited by theplayer11 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:10 pm I usually fly Ryan Air and their limit is 10KG. I will be flying Aegean and Air Portugal on my next trip and they are both 8KG(17.6 pounds). we have done 2 week European vacations with a carry on the last 4 years, but never with 17.6 pound limit. We still will not check a bag because we love the freedom of not having to wait and being able to roll a small carry on between multiple cities. Losing 4.5 lbs though will make it a lot togher, might have to pack some jeans in my backpack carry on, but Air Portugal states 2KG limit.
The weight limits are ridiculous as most bags alone weigh close to (or over) 10 pounds. The key is to not be selected for weighting - if your bag isn't overstuffed and you don't look like you're having a hard time moving it, generally airline staff won't make you weigh the bag, even on low-cost carriers. However I haven't flown Ryanair, maybe they're different.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:10 pm I usually fly Ryan Air and their limit is 10KG. I will be flying Aegean and Air Portugal on my next trip and they are both 8KG(17.6 pounds). we have done 2 week European vacations with a carry on the last 4 years, but never with 17.6 pound limit. We still will not check a bag because we love the freedom of not having to wait and being able to roll a small carry on between multiple cities. Losing 4.5 lbs though will make it a lot togher, might have to pack some jeans in my backpack carry on, but Air Portugal states 2KG limit.
I've seen a 10kg limit for both carry-on items (normal carry on and personal item). Interjet has this limit. I am flying on them next week. In that situation it is best to have light bag(s). If you have a 8lb suitcase and a 3lb backpack that only leaves 11lb for clothes and other items. I bet my Chromebook, phone and chargers are like 4 lbs. I am not sure how strict they are. I've never had a personal item weighed before.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Trash bags
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

Student2 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 pm I have lately grown quite fond of Away ]https://www.awaytravel.com/. They're the luggage you've seen in airports that has a built-in battery. The battery is easily removable at the gate even, if you need, and the company is decent. I had an older version of the Away larger carry-on and I had to unscrew the assembly from the inside to get the battery out. When they went to their new assembly, that lets you easily 'pop out' the battery from the outside, they notified their previous customers and allowed them to get a free assembly for free. And their luggage is guaranteed for life, with a limited lifetime warranty that covers the shell, wheels, handles, zippers, basically everything except the battery, which has a two-year guarantee.I bought one for my mom recently, when she needed another suitcase for a longer trip.

You can figure out which size you need here (https://www.awaytravel.com/help/product), just scroll down to the "products" section. And no, I have no affiliation to the company except as a customer.
+1 for Away, have had my carryon size for several years (early adopter), travel a lot for work, have taken this thing all over the world, with zero issues. Having the battery as an emergency option is great, for airports or countries where you don't have a lot of plugs. Not a single issue with my Away case at all. Highly recommend.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
02nz

Post by 02nz »

RollTide31457 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 pm Trash bags
You fit right in if flying Spirit.
BH13

Post by BH13 »

Student2 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 pm I have lately grown quite fond of Away ]https://www.awaytravel.com/. They're the luggage you've seen in airports that has a built-in battery. The battery is easily removable at the gate even, if you need, and the company is decent.
+2 for Away

Great, well designed bag with a useful compression system. The company has been great for service with an issue we had as well.
ohai

Post by ohai »

The two bags that people seem to recommend are the Ebags soft roller thing, and Travelpro. The Ebags one looks sort of dorky though. So I'd prefer the other one.

Personally, I've changed to some Osprey backpack - Porter or something - as I find that it is easier to move with this format. No one ever questions you about carry on dimensions either when you have this sort of bag.
BelVita

Post by BelVita »

I also have an Osprey Ozone 45 that I like a lot but will not use it traveling for business. It’s great for when I travel with my kids or backpacking some country.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

If the limit is 10kg, there is no reason to get a heavy and expensive roller bag which will simply limit the amount of stuff you can bring and provide no real benefit. I fly quite a bit for business - probably 15x/yr domestically and 2-3x internationally - and for the last 4.5yrs I have used a company branded cotopaxi 35l duffel that I got for free. It weighs ~1lb. and is very durable; it still looks brand new after 50+ flights and countless road trips.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Red Oxx. If you're willing to forgo wheels, nothing beats these (except maybe Tom Binh). I have both an Air Boss and a Mini Boss. The Air Boss is a full-size (American) carry-on, the Mini Boss is personal item-size.

Absolutely solid construction. Cordura exteriors, double-stitched nylon seams, oversized zippers. I've had my Air Boss since 2012 and that thing is rock solid. It's fallen off the back of pickup trucks on jungle roads, been dunked in the Gulf of Thailand, flown hundreds of thousands of miles with me and it's still going.

Get a compression strap for it and you'll be good to go.

https://www.redoxx.com/air-boss/91018/product
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

I use this to great success and it weighs just under five pounds: https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/duffels ... n-ec0a3xvb
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

02nz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:48 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:32 am I travel a lot, both domestically and internationally (airline pilot). I have been happy with this.

I've snuck more than a few slightly oversized bags past the airline sizers, but at 25 inches tall there's absolutely no way that will be accepted as a carry-on, which is what OP is asking for. (Maybe different rules apply for airline pilots but OP isn't one.)
Yep, I was in a hurry and linked the wrong thing. Here is the correct one.

https://www.briggs-riley.com/products/b ... r-u122cxsp

It fits in virtually all overhead bins (not something small like an Embraer-145, but anything newer bigger than that. The expandable, compressible feature is really cool and lets you get several more items into the same size suitcase.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs »

A bit on the pricey side, but they are bomb-proof, incredibly well-designed, and made in the USA: Tom Bihn (https://www.tombihn.com/).

The Aeronaut 30 would be perfect for you. I used its larger sibling (Aeronaut 45) for 2 weeks in Europe. While not a roller bag, it can be carried like a briefcase, over the shoulder, or as a backpack. Highly recommend.
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

KingRiggs wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:25 pm A bit on the pricey side, but they are bomb-proof, incredibly well-designed, and made in the USA: Tom Bihn (https://www.tombihn.com/).

The Aeronaut 30 would be perfect for you. I used its larger sibling (Aeronaut 45) for 2 weeks in Europe. While not a roller bag, it can be carried like a briefcase, over the shoulder, or as a backpack. Highly recommend.
I posted about the Aeronaut up thread. My 30l version has been to 30 countries and counting as my only bag. I also have their packing cube day pack that rolls up tight that i use to carry stuff like water, food, camera and the like when visiting sights in the country. Pricey but worth it to me. It has truly changed the way I travel.
KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs »

THY4373 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:36 pm
KingRiggs wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:25 pm A bit on the pricey side, but they are bomb-proof, incredibly well-designed, and made in the USA: Tom Bihn (https://www.tombihn.com/).

I posted about the Aeronaut up thread. My 30l version has been to 30 countries and counting as my only bag. I also have their packing cube day pack that rolls up tight that i use to carry stuff like water, food, camera and the like when visiting sights in the country. Pricey but worth it to me. It has truly changed the way I travel.
Agree. I was laughing at son and wife dragging wheeled luggage across a half-mile of cobblestones while I walked comfortably with my bag on my back. I’ll never wheel again!
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I have a Tri Star that I've taken on 20+ international trips now, works great and even got a begrudging nod of approval from a very alert Lufthansa agent in Cairo who was obviously skeptical about one bag travel. She didn't need a sizer. She could measure with her eyes.

For short domestic trips I use an Empire Builder briefcase with a Western Flyer packing cube in it (about the same size) and some stuff sacks. The days of travelling with a big briefcase due to a bulky and fragile laptop plus accessories are gone but nice to be able to repurpose the briefcase into a light travel bag.

Either way over the shoulder works well for me while walking from a train station to a hotel in Europe or NYC. I expect both will be given to my heirs in over 30 years.

Were I buying today I'd go with the Aeronaut 30 though.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Here's my recommendation.
https://shop.highsierra.com/high-sierra ... ?rrec=true

The removable daypack can be used at the destination, and it's fairly roomy. It can also be detached and treated as a personal item if they are checking sizes at the gate. Plus, being able to remove the day pack makes it much easier to load the carry-on in the overheads when space is tight. I've been through a couple of these over the years traveling internationally and wouldn't think of using anything else. They also offer some very nice rolling duffels if you're also checking luggage.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

02nz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:54 am Briggs and Riley has an excellent reputation and a lifetime warranty. I've used a version of this and been very happy: https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Har ... 00JFB584S/ (There are some bad reviews but a lot of them seem to be buyers who bought this thinking it was a larger suitcase raterh than a carry-on, which this is.) $257, but there's a coupon (that was clipped automatically for me) that brings it to just over $200.

ETA: Here's a soft B&R bag, fabric and expandable: https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Tra ... 07FSQ7W1S/.
Their warranty is outstanding. That also means that you rarely ever need it because the build quality is incredible.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

MrJones wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm
02nz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:54 am Briggs and Riley has an excellent reputation and a lifetime warranty. I've used a version of this and been very happy: https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Har ... 00JFB584S/ (There are some bad reviews but a lot of them seem to be buyers who bought this thinking it was a larger suitcase raterh than a carry-on, which this is.) $257, but there's a coupon (that was clipped automatically for me) that brings it to just over $200.

Their warranty is outstanding. That also means that you rarely ever need it because the build quality is incredible.
Indeed. I've used a lot of luggage. B&R and Tom Bihn the only luggage brands for which I've never needed warranty service.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I see some of the recommended carry-on luggage costs more than $300 a piece. What kind of expensive stuffs do you want to put in?

I am willing to buy a small inexpensive carry-on bag or luggage (around $40 at Walmart), and buy whatever is needed at the destination.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

flyingaway wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 am I see some of the recommended carry-on luggage costs more than $300 a piece. What kind of expensive stuffs do you want to put in?

I am willing to buy a small inexpensive carry-on bag or luggage (around $40 at Walmart), and buy whatever is needed at the destination.
Different storkes for different folks. I have nothing expensive in my carry on luggage. With the exception of my cell phone my Tom Bihn bag is likely more expensive than everything else I carry. Also don't assume folks travel like you do. I went to Easter Island last year, some remote-ish parts of Egypt and Lonyearbyen Norway (northern most town in the world) this year and will be going to Bhutan next year (among numerous other places). In many of those places it is not necessarily possible for me to buy what I need locally. I have sometimes covered 5 countries in two weeks and that amount of movement is very rough on a bag and on me if the bag doesn't meet my needs.

The reason my bag is worth every cent of the $300ish I paid:

1). I have had cheap luggage break on me and it will be guaranteed to happen when you are pretty remote. I want something I can rely on.
2). It is extremely well designed to minimize its external envelope so it can fit under almost all seats and even in the overhead bins on Embraer 145s while as the same time giving maximum internal storage. There are just so many well designed features on it that you only come to appreciate after you have used it for a while.
3). It is flexible. I can use it as a backpack when exploring the world on my own and I can convert it to an over the shoulder bag when travelling on business and it is stylish enough to not look out of place doing both.

Honestly I thought I was crazy to spend the money on it but it is literally worth every penny I spent on it. It is honestly pretty close to perfect for my needs. If you are good with a $40 Walmart bag that is awesome nothing wrong with that but it wouldn't work for me.
Last edited by THY4373 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

KingRiggs wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm
Agree. I was laughing at son and wife dragging wheeled luggage across a half-mile of cobblestones while I walked comfortably with my bag on my back. I’ll never wheel again!
Yeah I cannot stand rolled luggage now at all. It is so freeing to be able to go pretty much anywhere without worrying about lugging baggage behind you. It is also nice to blend in some since it doesn't look quite like you are fresh off the plane even when you are fresh off the plane.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

stan1 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:45 pm I have a Tri Star that I've taken on 20+ international trips now, works great and even got a begrudging nod of approval from a very alert Lufthansa agent in Cairo who was obviously skeptical about one bag travel. She didn't need a sizer. She could measure with her eyes.
I had a similar event with Austrian in VIE this summer (same parent company as Lufthansa) and was worried because a lot of folks were getting stopped and weighed. I passed without question which was good because I was (rarely for me) above about 25 pounds so was over the Austrian weight limit (I had some fossils from Longyearbyen from earlier in the trip which were heavy).
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Visit onebag.com for an entire site/community devoted to traveling light & carry on luggage.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

THY4373 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:23 am
KingRiggs wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 pm
Yeah I cannot stand rolled luggage now at all. It is so freeing to be able to go pretty much anywhere without worrying about lugging baggage behind you. It is also nice to blend in some since it doesn't look quite like you are fresh off the plane even when you are fresh off the plane.
And with a 10kg weight limit, it simply makes zero sense to get a roller. I'm confused about a lot of the recommendations in this thread. With those size/weight limits, why would you get anything but a backpack or small duffel?
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

I travel a lot for work. Travel Pro makes great luggage. Pilots and Stewardesses use them a lot. Years ago their union had in their contract that they got a free bag every year (airline had to buy it for them). Just be careful on the size. Do your homework. The airlines are getting feisty lately. Nothing worse than going on a 2 night business trip and being told your carry on is too big and has to be checked in. That waiting time at the baggage carousel at some airports sucks....
psy1

Post by psy1 »

My 2 cents:

Tom Bihn (which I have and it is excellent) and Red Oxx are great but not what OP is asking for, i.e. not rolled luggage.

"Smart" bags with batteries are gimmicks and a nuisance.

eBags is a great site for selecting luggage. I have two of the older model eBags carry-on spinners that have been all over the world. They are great bags and excellent for the money. eBags always has sales and you can get further rebates through shopping portals. They also sell many of the brands listed above.

Pick the size that meets the most stringent rules for the airlines you are likely to fly. You can search for tables of airlines carry on limits. Pay attention to the weight of the bag. Some bags can weigh as much as half of your carry on limit! In the end, there is no single perfect bag so anticipate acquiring more than one. Also, no matter how well you plan, there will be times when you have to check your bag. On direct international routes with discount airlines, we have had no issues doing this but prefer hard-sided spinners for less worry when checking or gate-checking bags when needed.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

cableguy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:25 am I travel a lot for work. Travel Pro makes great luggage. Pilots and Stewardesses use them a lot. Years ago their union had in their contract that they got a free bag every year (airline had to buy it for them). Just be careful on the size. Do your homework. The airlines are getting feisty lately. Nothing worse than going on a 2 night business trip and being told your carry on is too big and has to be checked in. That waiting time at the baggage carousel at some airports sucks....
Another vote for Travelpro. No experience with their carryons but very pleased with their full sized luggage. They have a model called Travelpro Luggage International Carry-on that may work for you. It weighs in at 2.4 kilos.
Amazon link --- https://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggag ... B07BM9DFX9
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
catalina355

Post by catalina355 »

THY4373 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:36 pm

I have been looking at the Aeronaut 30L. What do you think of the new Synik 30 as an alternative?

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/bac ... 4842400831

I would be interested to hear more about your experiences traveling with the Aeronaut and the Packing Cube Backpack.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

flyingaway wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 am I see some of the recommended carry-on luggage costs more than $300 a piece. What kind of expensive stuffs do you want to put in?

Do you think that $40 piece of luggage is going to fall apart a) sitting in your closet, or b) at the worst possible time, while you're traveling?
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

DigitalJanitor wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm I've been very pleased with eBags (https://www.ebags.com), especially the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible backpack and the TLS 22" Expandable Wheeled Carry-On. I had earlier tried the Rick Steves Classic Back Door Bag, but found the quality and sturdiness to be lacking.
I second this. If you are doing Euro travel with tight weight limits then the EBags Mother Lode bag is fabulous. I have one and it is exceedingly well designed. It is the one I usually grab and I have a closet full of about 6 various rollaboard type bags. You can pack it full or cinch it down smaller for shorter trips. And the exterior pockets are very well thought out for electronics and passports and such.

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mot ... ble/143101
catalina355

Post by catalina355 »

texasdiver wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:40 pm
DigitalJanitor wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm I've been very pleased with eBags (https://www.ebags.com), especially the TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible backpack and the TLS 22" Expandable Wheeled Carry-On. I had earlier tried the Rick Steves Classic Back Door Bag, but found the quality and sturdiness to be lacking.
I second this. If you are doing Euro travel with tight weight limits then the EBags Mother Lode bag is fabulous. I have one and it is exceedingly well designed. It is the one I usually grab and I have a closet full of about 6 various rollaboard type bags. You can pack it full or cinch it down smaller for shorter trips. And the exterior pockets are very well thought out for electronics and passports and such.

Looks nice but the laptop pocket is at the back so when you are carrying it the laptop will be pressed against your back. That's not so good for the laptop.
ohai

Post by ohai »

I don't think you can really go wrong here. In fact, I have the opposite problem, where the $50 carry on I bought 10+ years ago at Ross Dress for Less hasn't broken yet. So, I still have it around. Any suitcase with 4+ star on Amazon is probably much better than anyone will actually care about.
Topic Author
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

texasdiver wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Does it hold a lot? As much as a standard carry on? At 4lbs, it would save me 2.5lbs from what I have been using. We usually only use carry on for 13 day Euro trips, with a normal sized backpack as personal item for holding snacks, water, paperwork, ect.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

catalina355 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

I have been looking at the Aeronaut 30L. What do you think of the new Synik 30 as an alternative?

I would be interested to hear more about your experiences traveling with the Aeronaut and the Packing Cube Backpack.
Personal preference and travel style I think. The Synic is new so not many people may have it. It's a backpack whereas the Aeronaut is a duffel with straps that let it function as a backpack. Check out the different images on the Tom Bihn website to see what they look like. The Synic looks streamlined, the Aeronaut looks like a duffel strapped to your back. If you are going to carry it most of the time as a backpack I'd look closely at the Synic. If you are going to use a hybrid of over the shoulder, hand carry, and backpack the Aeronaut (or Tristar) would work. The Synic also has dedicated space for a laptop or tablet. Personally these days I don't want a lot of space dedicated to a laptop and don't want space (and weight) in the bag filled with padding. I use packing cubes and clothes as padding and in 30 years of carrying a laptop have never had one damaged inside a carryon bag or briefcase.

Also look at the photos of the packing cube backpack. It is a rectangular packing cube with backpack straps. I would not use it. It would draw attention to you as a tourist in a way that might make you more vulnerable to crime or worse. Blending in is key to personal safety. Instead I have a $20 compact, lightweight day pack from Amazon and toss that into my primary bag when I want to take it with me.
catalina355

Post by catalina355 »

stan1 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 pm
catalina355 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Personal preference and travel style I think. The Synic is new so not many people may have it. It's a backpack whereas the Aeronaut is a duffel with straps that let it function as a backpack. Check out the different images on the Tom Bihn website to see what they look like. The Synic looks streamlined, the Aeronaut looks like a duffel strapped to your back. If you are going to carry it most of the time as a backpack I'd look closely at the Synic. If you are going to use a hybrid of over the shoulder, hand carry, and backpack the Aeronaut (or Tristar) would work. The Synic also has dedicated space for a laptop or tablet. Personally these days I don't want a lot of space dedicated to a laptop and don't want space (and weight) in the bag filled with padding. I use packing cubes and clothes as padding and in 30 years of carrying a laptop have never had one damaged inside a carryon bag or briefcase.

Also look at the photos of the packing cube backpack. It is a rectangular packing cube with backpack straps. I would not use it. It would draw attention to you as a tourist in a way that might make you more vulnerable to crime or worse. Blending in is key to personal safety. Instead I have a $20 compact, lightweight day pack from Amazon and toss that into my primary bag when I want to take it with me.
Not sure why the packing cube backpack would label you as a tourist. The Aeronaut would label you as a tourist in that case. Tom Binh sells all over the world.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

02nz wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Do you think that $40 piece of luggage is going to fall apart a) sitting in your closet, or b) at the worst possible time, while you're traveling?
No. Even if they did, I could buy 10 of them, one for each trip.