Non stick pan preference?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
genjix

Non stick pan preference?

Post by genjix » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Hello

I'm looking for a different non stick pan beside Teflon. From what I understand Teflon can be unlhealthy. What do you all use for no stick? Any good alternative to Teflon?

LiveSimple

Re: Non stick pan preference?

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Cast Iron, if you can take care.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:44 pm

Carbon steel pan that has been properly seasoned is non-stick.

America's Test Kitchen video on carbon steel pans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
Wiki

ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:22 pm

I'll second carbon steel pans. They are often used in restaurant kitchens are really a joy to cook on after properly seasoning. However, properly seasoning can be a pain, I would suggest doing it on an outdoor grill if at all possible, otherwise generates a lot of smoke.

This being said, I still use non stick for scrambled eggs/omelettes. Most other things go into carbon steel. You just need to be sure not to use too much acidic sauces in carbon steel (like a tomato sauce) as it can strip the seasoning which gives it its non-stickness.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm

There are no known dangers from teflon coated pans unless they are heated above about 600 degrees F. And even in that case, there is no link to long term health impacts. Just temporary symptoms.

There IS a danger from some of the chemicals used in making teflon, and that is probably where some of the rumors originated.

From the American Cancer Society:

"Other than the possible risk of flu-like symptoms from breathing in fumes from an overheated Teflon-coated pan, there are no known risks to humans from using Teflon-coated cookware. While PFOA is used in making Teflon, it is not present (or is present in extremely small amounts) in Teflon-coated products."

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... -pfoa.html
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

b.lock

Post by b.lock » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Wirecutter suggests this one. They are usually pretty good about what they suggest so I tend to trust them. https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80114 ... B009HBKQ16

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-nonstick-pan/

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Good 'ol Lodge cast iron. It's pretty non-stick if you season it well. I've cooked frittatas in my cast iron skillet and they've slid right out.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:02 pm

genjix wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:37 pm
Hello

I'm looking for a different non stick pan beside Teflon. From what I understand Teflon can be unlhealthy. What do you all use for no stick? Any good alternative to Teflon?
I decided that for eggs and crepes (and a few other things), I'm going to use Teflon and take care with it - non-metal utensils and careful storage (I bought T-fal's sensorielle deux about 6 years ago, which I believe has either been discontinued or renamed). I'll get rid of it when the finish starts flaking.

I did a lot of research and decided that this is an acceptable position for me. It's a strategic decision - lots of things are unhealthy; some things I do are probably worse than occasional use of Teflon. I couldn't find an acceptable alternative which was as good as teflon (and as easy) for a few uses. I don't remember all the details, but there were 2 different chemicals which were relevant, one was more concerning than the other. The pan I bought didn't have that chemical.

For most things which require a frying pan/skillet, I use either All-Clad or cast iron pans.

Edit to add this link:
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/healt ... -pans-safe
With teflon, keep heat low to medium; don't let pan overheat as it can cause toxic fumes to be released.
Teflon pans can be especially toxic to birds - if you have birds (or small kids are present), you might want to banish teflon from your home.
Last edited by mariezzz on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daektr

Post by daektr » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:05 pm

I did a bunch of research on this last Christmas & decided on Swiss Diamond. YMMV.

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 pm

We have had great success with the ceramic frying pans - Target sells several in different sizes. We use them for eggs, and other dishes, and never a problem. Cleanup is easy.

random_walker

Post by random_walker » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 am

T-Fal Professional non-stick pans are very durable for cooking eggs.

This pan usually lasts me a few years for cooking eggs exclusively, using silicone utensils, and hand wash only:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWK2X2

They can seem pricey, but you can find them on sale from time to time for less than $25.
Hint: Black Friday is coming soon ;-)

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:49 am

b.lock wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:57 pm
Wirecutter suggests this one. They are usually pretty good about what they suggest so I tend to trust them. https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-80114 ... B009HBKQ16

I’ve had this pan for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. I bought it at Costco has a set of two 10 inch pans. If you treat them right they will last quite a while. I would also second the wirecutter recommendation.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 am

We banished teflon and the like years ago.

Carbon steel for scrambled/fried eggs. Hot pan, add oil/butter, then eggs, wait a bit before stirring. stir. wait. stir. wait... Lodge carbon steel pans are pre-seasoned as are their cast iron pans.

Cast iron for frying and searing. IMO, the only better sear is over blazing charcoal.

Stainless for sauteeing/sweating vegetables, particularly tomatoes or other acidic items. Deglaze the pan after a sautee with a little stock or wine and you have a nice sauce to go with.

With the technique above, it is possible to scramble eggs in a stainless pan with no sticking. The trick is to get the pan hot enough to curdle the eggs immediately when they hit the pan without burning the butter. I did this for a few years before discovering carbon steel, which is takes less technique. Of course, it is easier yet in a non-stick.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:30 am

yukonjack wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:49 am
b.lock wrote:

I’ve had this pan for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. I bought it at Costco has a set of two 10 inch pans. If you treat them right they will last quite a while. I would also second the wirecutter recommendation.

I also have a Tramontina, used mostly for eggs. Happy with it so far.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 am

BroIceCream wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 pm
We have had great success with the ceramic frying pans - Target sells several in different sizes. We use them for eggs, and other dishes, and never a problem. Cleanup is easy.
I love ceramic non-stick. The ceramic is so hard and durable that I don't have to worry about damaging it. It's handled overheating, metal utensils, washing it while still hot, and even cleaning with a Brillo pad. The brand I have is Scanpan.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:52 am

b.lock wrote:

Another vote for Tramontina. We bought a two pan set (8" and 10") a couple of years ago at either Sam's or Costco. Inexpensive and durable. Our Teflon pans were shot.

Eggs, quesadillas, grilled cheese.... all good.

My mother could cook anything in her cast iron fry pans. Never washed, just wiped out. Nothing stuck. Our steel wok was the same, once we had the carbon coating, nothing stuck.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:56 am

mostly use cast iron.

we got some Calphalon ceramic coated aluminum that is pretty scratched up and stained after a little more than 5 years, but has worked well as non-stick. Mostly just use those for boiling water and eggs.

Walkure

Post by Walkure » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:06 am

wolf359 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 am
BroIceCream wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 pm
I love ceramic non-stick. The ceramic is so hard and durable that I don't have to worry about damaging it. It's handled overheating, metal utensils, washing it while still hot, and even cleaning with a Brillo pad. The brand I have is Scanpan.
We've been phasing out the Teflon, mainly because the pans were so old that they weren't really nonstick anymore, and I have a tendency to run the gas way too hot.
The replacement of choice for us has been ceramic. All came from the likes of TJ Maxx and Marshall's, not at all pricey. We've put over a year of frequent use into an Aeternum by Bialetti, and it has a few nicks but still cleans up. Just picked up two smaller induction-compatible EcoBliss pans as well. In both cases, we went with the white ceramic interior - I've discovered that cooking on a white background really helps judging when things are browned enough but not burnt.

random_walker

Post by random_walker » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am

Is ceramic coating the best type of non-stick that is designed to last?
Consensus seems to say 'no'.

In fact, in all the tests conducted by Whitford, a major supplier of all types of non-stick coatings, it was found that the best ceramic coating will last only 15% as long as a PTFE (teflon) based coating. Meaning 6 times less!

In the end, when considering Ceramic coated cookware, the choice is really more about being environmentally safer and healthier (at higher temperatures), rather than choosing a better non-stick pan.

If you want great non-stick, nothing comes close to a good quality 'Teflon ®' i.e. PTFE based non-stick coating. But if you want a pan that is better for the environment and your health, then Ceramic coated cookware might be for you.

Read more here:
https://www.thecookwareadvisor.com/cera ... -tell-you/

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:38 am

We do the majority of this type of cooking on a flat-top griddle. There's a 12" wide by 1/2" thick carbon steel one built into our range in the kitchen, and I replaced my outdoor gas grill with a 36" wide four-burner flat-top grill. It has a 600 square inch griddle top made of cold rolled steel. Absolutely wonderful, and cleans up in seconds. Literally my only regret about our kitchen remodel 6.5 years ago is that we didn't get the version of our range that comes with a 24" griddle and two fewer burners. :)

Most of our other stovetop cooking happens in enameled cast iron--primarily a 6 or 8 quart dutch oven or 12" skillet--though we do still use teflon pans on occasion.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:09 pm

random_walker wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am

In fact, in all the tests conducted by Whitford, a major supplier of all types of non-stick coatings, it was found that the best ceramic coating will last only 15% as long as a PTFE (teflon) based coating. Meaning 6 times less!

In the end, when considering Ceramic coated cookware, the choice is really more about being environmentally safer and healthier (at higher temperatures), rather than choosing a better non-stick pan.

If you want great non-stick, nothing comes close to a good quality 'Teflon ®' i.e. PTFE based non-stick coating. But if you want a pan that is better for the environment and your health, then Ceramic coated cookware might be for you.

Read more here:
I've had my Scanpan 2000 for more than 20 years. I don't know what process they use. The nonstick is ceramic and titanium infused onto aluminum. It isn't quite a coating, but seems to be part of the metal. It doesn't sound like the same as what the cookware advisor is describing. Scanpan has its own patented process, but the cookware is expensive.

However, Teflon is definitely a better non-stick coating. It simply works better as a non-stick surface. But the Teflon coating eventually comes off.

My wife prefers Teflon. But my Scanpan 2000 wok is still going strong. It is okay as far as non-stick performance goes. It's definitely better than a non-treated surface. However, it seems to be practically indestructible. If I add a little oil using a Misto, it works as well as Teflon (or at least, well enough.) We've gone through multiple Teflon pan replacements, but we still have my original Scanpans.

I have not purchased any modern Scanpan products, so I don't know if this quality statement is still true. What I have looks the same as their "Classic" product line. Reviews I've read about the "Professional" product line sounds like the non-stick works better (but may not be as durable.)

Edit: Note that Scanpan's metal is nonmagnetic. It means it can't be used on an induction cooktop, if that matters to you.

SheReadsHere719

Post by SheReadsHere719 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 pm

I have the Calphalon Classic Set:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... 1045500459

From the website: "We do NOT use Teflon in any of our products. The Calphalon Classic Nonstick 14-Piece Cookware Set is made with two layers of PFOA-free nonstick for easy food release and quick cleanup. It uses PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene as a nonstick coating since it is durable and long lasting."

With a 20% coupon and a $50 BB&B gift card upon purchase, it's a good deal.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm

SheReadsHere719 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 pm
I have the Calphalon Classic Set:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... 1045500459

From the website: "We do NOT use Teflon in any of our products. The Calphalon Classic Nonstick 14-Piece Cookware Set is made with two layers of PFOA-free nonstick for easy food release and quick cleanup. It uses PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene as a nonstick coating since it is durable and long lasting."

With a 20% coupon and a $50 BB&B gift card upon purchase, it's a good deal.
Where did you see the highlighted line above? I couldn't find it at the link you provided.

IMO, that's just a marketing line. Teflon is a brand name for PTFE.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

jose

Post by jose » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Cast iron. Wash without soap. Nothing sticks. Use anywhere, bullet proof (literally).

Lasts forever, put in in your will.

jose

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:14 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm
IMO, that's just a marketing line. Teflon is a brand name for PTFE.
Agreed. Translated, those sentences mean "The Teflon we use on our pans doesn't come from DuPont". DuPont's patent on PTFE has expired, so anybody can sell it. They just can't use the trademarked name Teflon.

msi

Post by msi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:34 pm

We've had good luck with Anolon.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 pm

We like the pair of Calphalon Unison pans we bought in 2015 - they've held up far better than other pans we've bought. The nonstick finish still looks new after four years of frequent use. The price on Amazon was about $50 for the pair, which was a steal. It's now $135.

Tortoisesque

Post by Tortoisesque » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:08 pm

I have a ceramic-coated pan, and it works pretty well. Probably not quite as non-stick as my Teflon pans, but definitely sticks less than stainless steel.

One thing to keep in mind is that some ceramic-coated pans seem to have a bumpy pattern on the bottom where it contacts the stovetop. I'm guessing that's by design, to avoid a concentrated "hot spot" from forming at one point on the pan and potentially cracking the ceramic when used on an electric range.

Because of that, I've found that bumpy-bottomed ceramic pans take a lot longer than other pans to heat up on an electric range due to having a handful of points of contact instead of a wide, flat area of contact. But on gas ranges, of course, they heat up just as quickly as other pans.

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Lodge cast iron. Also tri ply clad pans. Both are good.

senex

Post by senex » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 pm

jose wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm
Cast iron. Wash without soap. Nothing sticks. Use anywhere, bullet proof (literally).
Lasts forever, put in in your will.
+1

Also, it's super cheap (~$20), environmentally friendlier than polymers, etc.
Fried eggs slide right off and taste better to me, too, compared to the chemical-treated alternatives -- possibly because of how the pores hold the bacon fat.

Proper care is key. I don't like the word "seasoning" because it sounds complicated (and lots of web pages over-complicate it).

If lightly dirty, wipe out with paper towel. Done. If you have a dedicated egg pan, you can do this almost indefinitely. I use water on my egg pan only once every few months.

If more dirty, rinse with water only, never soap, scrubbing with steel wool if necessary (not the SOS pads with soaps, just plain steel wool).
Immediately after rinsing, dry with paper towel and put on a burner for a few minutes to boil residual moisture out of it. This will prevent rust.
You can add a thin layer of bacon fat at this time if you wish. Or just add the bacon fat the next time you cook on it.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Lodge cast iron well seasoned, hint... don't use soybean oil, it gets gummy.
We use Avocado oil, butter, fat for seasoning.
While getting it seasoned, if anything gets stuck or crusty use a plastic type scrubber with salt in the pan to scrub it out.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Bengineer wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 am
We banished teflon and the like years ago.

Carbon steel for scrambled/fried eggs. Hot pan, add oil/butter, then eggs...

With the technique above, it is possible to scramble eggs in a stainless pan with no sticking. The trick is to get the pan hot enough to curdle the eggs immediately when they hit the pan without burning the butter. I did this for a few years before discovering carbon steel, which is takes less technique. Of course, it is easier yet in a non-stick.
I also won't use coated pans anymore. I use a pro-clad stainless steel pan by Breville and successfully cook eggs with it. I first use a small amount of grapeseed oil, then add butter, which generally prevents the butter from turning brown and burning--I still have to ensure the pan isn't too hot.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:25 pm

Smoke wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:18 pm
While getting it seasoned, if anything gets stuck or crusty use a plastic type scrubber with salt in the pan to scrub it out.
I have a glass top stove. Do people use cast iron with Glass top?

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:52 pm

for the 1 pan I use most frequently and the one that takes the most beating, I just bought a cheap non-stick at Walmart. Will pitch and replace when it fails. They seem to tarnish/gunk up over time.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 pm
We like the pair of Calphalon Unison pans we bought in 2015 - they've held up far better than other pans we've bought. The nonstick finish still looks new after four years of frequent use. The price on Amazon was about $50 for the pair, which was a steal. It's now $135.
I have the Calohalon Elite sold (only?) at Williams Sonoma.
Best non stick I’ve ever had

Highest recommendation

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:25 pm
Smoke wrote:
Yes. Just don't drag the pan across the top.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:55 am

Buckeye Chuck wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Smoke wrote:
I don't have a glass top, I don't like them, but as Buckeye said don't move it around, let it just sit there.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Buckeye Chuck wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Smoke wrote:
Thank you. I think lodge might be nice. I have All Clad which I love. But I don’t like my non stick.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Cheap Calphalon 8" skillet I bought a decade ago that I use only for eggs.

If I was to have to replace mine today I would again get a cheap Teflon pan. Maybe even cheaper than the calphalon. Don't see the reason for getting something expensive non-stick like All Clad since the surface is bound to wear off eventually. My everyday cooking is done on stainless steel which I don't need to be non-stick and which I expect will last a hundred years.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 pm

random_walker wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:22 am

Read more here:
I think they are way understating the difference caused by Teflon/SilverStone etc being more prone to damage from utensils or hand scrubbing the stuff which does stick once in a while..

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm

b.lock wrote:

I have two of these and we're very happy with them. We don't use nonstick all that often, but when we do i couldn't ask for more.

We store them stacked in a drawer and put a dish towel between them to protect the surfaces.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 pm

For most non stick cooking we use a couple of large Tramontini saute pans from Costco. Also use a 12 and 10 inch Lodge cast iron skillets for some cooking. Most of our other cookware/pots/roasting pans/etc are multi-ply stainless All-clad - not cheap but heats, handles, and cooks beautifully and is pretty indestructible.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:32 am

This thread might be of interest, OP.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:19 am

The Jamie Oliver hard anodized premium series non stick are amazing. We have a couple that look brand new after nearly ten years of use. I’m sorry but anything else either requires too much work, too much oil or doesn’t perform well.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:06 am

ScanPan. Sold by Sur La Table. You can use metal cooking implements.

Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:14 am

i used to use nothing but T-FAL, but a couple years ago bought a Vollrath that has held up really quite well.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:59 am

Calphalon stainless steel sauce pans and fry pan. Non-stick ceramic Bialetti fry pan. Cast-iron fry pan that I use on a paper towel over my induction stove. All from TJ Maxx.