Ants immune to Terro or just lots of ants?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
windaar

Ants immune to Terro or just lots of ants?

Post by windaar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:20 pm

I learned about Terro on Bogleheads and it has been a godsend, the only thing that has worked on carpenter ant and sugar ant invasions. And keeping me from avoiding exterminator scams who want to put me on the monthly "plan." But this summer I have dealt with ants in one small part of our house, by the kitty food and litter area - I have had Terro baits out all summer and they are always eating it. But they never stop coming. I am wondering if they are enjoying the Terro but immune. Or maybe there is an endless colony that keeps coming in. Rest of house, zero ants. Any ideas?

whodidntante

Re: Ants immune to Terro or just lots of ants?

Post by whodidntante » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:29 pm

I like to use the old school dangerous chemicals complete with a respirator. Remove any pets you'd like to keep first. You know it works by the body count.

Frost

Post by Frost » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm

I did the Terro baits for a few years and would see some issues similar to what you’re experiencing.

I now use Taurus SC around the outside of house twice a year to control and have had no issues for 3 years. I’d highly recommend.

If they’re colonized inside, perhaps advion gel for a change?

arf30

Post by arf30 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:40 pm

I've never had luck with the Terro traps, only poison traps like Raid.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm

I have good luck with Ortho Home Defense (regular spraying around house perimeter) and Terro liquid baits for infestations (black and red ants).

Remove the pet food/litter and clean floor well. If you’re still noticing lots of ants after home treatments, call an exterminator. They may need to drill some holes into the suspected nest area

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:53 pm

You know it works by the body count.
Didn't work in Vietnam.

Anyways... OP you could try a perimeter external application of something like imidacloprid, a nicotinoid agent which has a low mammalian toxicity, in addition to strategically placing those borate-based baits. Follow directions carefully. Even though the toxicity is low to humans, for this purpose you will likely be using and diluting a high-concentration wettable powder. Bonus - it works on termites, too.
Semper Augustus

Momus

Post by Momus » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Honey/sugar water mixed with boric acid works wonder.

Or peanut butter + boric acid. Depends on what kind of ants.

Boric acid powder is sold in any pharmacy over the counter.

Some ants like protein (peanut butter), some like sugar (honey). Boric acid will kill them all.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:16 pm

We got hit big-time with ants in the house this year.

The Raid Bait traps seemed to attract some, but never reduced the number even with 4 traps in use.

Got some Terro traps, and in 7 days noticeably fewer ants with just one trap deployed. The first few days was an ant stampede into that trap. They emptied the trap at about 10 days and I replaced it, but only a few seemed to visit the 2nd trap.

Edit to add: Borax is active agent in Terro.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:27 pm

My default to keep all bugs out is diatomaceous earth around the perimeter and wherever they might be coming in.... very effective and safe for people/pets
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 pm

Terro has always done the trick for me after they take it for a few days.

Every time I thought it stopped working I would find another area not clean, or with some sugar. Voila, the Terro would do the rest.

IMO getting things spotless is 99% of the battle.

Post by 123 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:55 pm

We've had 100% success for years with the sugar and boric acid (Borax) mix. Just a 50/50 moistened(paste) mix does the job, using under 1/2 teaspoon, stop the ant army within a couple of hours. I usually just put some in a bottle cap on top of their trail with the outside edges of the bottle cap moistened with the mix. A big box of Borax laundry stuff is about $7 and we occasionally add some to the laundry to improve cleaning.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 pm

As long as we're touting the wonders of borax, pool owners find it useful too. It makes a fine buffer for swimming pools at about 40ppm, complementing but not completely replacing the function of the poorly-named "alkalinity" (bicarbonate) in pool water. Particularly useful if you're running a saltwater chlorine generator. You do need to convert it to boric acid by titrating HCL into the water along with the borax.
Semper Augustus

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Good ol borax. Easy way to make crystals for school science projects.

I only buy direct from the silkroad.com website. Their customer service is top notch, they only hire Tibetan monks.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:23 pm

windaar wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:20 pm
I learned about Terro on Bogleheads and it has been a godsend, the only thing that has worked on carpenter ant and sugar ant invasions. And keeping me from avoiding exterminator scams who want to put me on the monthly "plan." But this summer I have dealt with ants in one small part of our house, by the kitty food and litter area - I have had Terro baits out all summer and they are always eating it. But they never stop coming. I am wondering if they are enjoying the Terro but immune. Or maybe there is an endless colony that keeps coming in. Rest of house, zero ants. Any ideas?
Pretty sure it is impossible for ants to become immune to Terro. As long as the ants keep eating it, they will keep dieing. You may even be getting the occasional queen. Your problem is that every time the ants find food (including the Terro) they are laying down more pheremones to attract more ants. You will eventually win, but you might have to wipe out a good percentage of the ants in the entire neighborhood to do it. There are recipes for making your own Terro online (search for 'ants borax') if the cost gets too high.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Random Musings wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:11 pm

I only buy direct from the silkroad.com website. Their customer service is top notch, they only hire Tibetan monks.

RM
Yeah, I'm not googling that. I'm trying to staff OFF the no fly list. :happy

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:07 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 pm
Random Musings wrote:

RM
The laundry police won't mind if you use a box of 20 Mule Team Borax from the laundry section.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 pm

Go with Boric ACID not Borax (or the 20 mule team stuff). There's a difference.

I use Terro - the early spring and fall ants love the stuff. I haven't had an issue with it not working - although last fall I was putting it out every week for atleast 6 weeks.

I will add that if the ants keep coming back - it might be worth the effort to find where the ants are getting into your house and then caulk the areas. When the ants show up in my kitchen and/or in the cat's food which is also in the kitchen - it's because they have infiltrated the house thru spaces in the caulk around a basement window. oddly enough the ants travel a considerable distance (20 feet or so) from the basement window to the cat's food. I do the Terro thing inside in the kitchen, inside the basement window casing and outside the window. Once the ants stop showing up - I re-caulk the window.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:52 pm

With a stubborn invasion, I move the Terro to the outside of the house, just on the other side of the wall from wherever they’re congregating.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 am

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:29 pm
Random Musings wrote:

RM
Are you planning the traps inside the house or outside?

I had an ant problem last summer when the temperature went over 100 degrees. I placed a dozen terro traps outside the house over several months and we barely see any ants anywhere around the house.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:00 am

JoMoney wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:27 pm
My default to keep all bugs out is diatomaceous earth around the perimeter and wherever they might be coming in.... very effective and safe for people/pets
+1

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 am

I used both the Terro baits which are boric acid based and Combat max gel which is Fipronil based. Walmart has the Combat Max roach gel which I dilute 50/50 with maple syrup to get the ants to take it. I was able to eradicate the ant issues in and around my house.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:48 am

Bifen IT ( Bifenthrin 7.9% )
I've been using it for years, Outside perimeter spray, safe for inside as well. Read the label.
https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-226.html
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

queso

Post by queso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 am

I've been a long time user of Terro and it has always worked for me except in one instance where my shed got infested and I had to escalate to Delta Dust.

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:34 am

Frost wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm
I did the Terro baits for a few years and would see some issues similar to what you’re experiencing.

I now use Taurus SC around the outside of house twice a year to control and have had no issues for 3 years. I’d highly recommend.

I will 2nd Taurus SC, read about it on here. I still put Terro outside because I see new colonies out it the yard.
John

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:29 pm
I like to use the old school dangerous chemicals complete with a respirator. Remove any pets you'd like to keep first. You know it works by the body count.
Ah, I remember the days of going to a lawn and garden shop to buy a paper bag full of chloradane. Definitely killed ants. But, I didn't ever use a respirator, or much common sense using it, as well.

I'm surprised so many of us made it to adulthood, given the "safety" aspects of our activities.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:15 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am
whodidntante wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:29 pm
Ah, I remember the days of going to a lawn and garden shop to buy a paper bag full of chloradane. Definitely killed ants. But, I didn't ever use a respirator, or much common sense using it, as well.

I'm surprised so many of us made it to adulthood, given the "safety" aspects of our activities.

Broken Man 1999
Well, people used to routinely handle lead, mercury and asbestos and think nothing of it. Makes you wonder how much of what we're doing now that is dangerous.

MikeZ

Post by MikeZ » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 am

I would check to see if they are white footed ants. Most solutions don't work on them. I had to use termidor sc for those.

mffl

Post by mffl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 am

GMCZ71 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:34 am
Frost wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm

I will 2nd Taurus SC, read about it on here. I still put Terro outside because I see new colonies out it the yard.
I will 3rd Taurus SC. I used to have to set Terro traps everywhere, and it would sometimes work and sometimes not. Terro definitely reduced the problem, but the ants would seem to learn to ignore it sometimes or otherwise it was just difficult to draw them into the traps. And of course, even when it works, it's disgusting. It does its job as designed, drawing all the ants out of the walls streaming into your room/kitchen/wherever for days before that strand dies out, and then they just pop out another hole, or another dozen holes. With Terro, it was still a constant management problem. I started just 1x / year Taurus SC two years ago (so, 3 applications now), and within a couple of weeks it went to zero, and I haven't seen a single ant inside and barely any outside since, when I was battling the constant streams of thousands previously. It's absolutely amazing.

I buy it off Amazon for about $40, one 20oz bottle ought to last many years unless you have a gigantic house.
- NOT for use indoors (but that's nice, as it keeps the piles of dead ants outside)
- wear gloves, this stuff is very poisonous
- there are restrictions in some states, i.e. California
- recent rain isn't really a problem (unless you get a deluge, I suppose), but impending rain is not good, especially if you expect it in the next 24-48 hours. Wait until you think it won't rain for a day or two.

Usage:
- fill gallon or multi gallon sprayer tank 1/3 with water, start pumping
- use 1.2oz per gallon for normal dilution (you're allowed to use as little as 0.8oz or 1.6oz per gallon for prevention, or 1.6oz for major problems -- I've used 1.2oz/gal with great success)
- fill remaining water
- for my house, 2 story, 4k sqft, I use 3 gallons total. 1ft above and below foundation line, also along driveway, curb, and sidewalk boundaries.
- dedicate that sprayer to Taurus SC, don't use it for anything else.

I tried everything. This stuff works.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:51 am

A few weeks ago we discovered ants having a party on the outside of our kitchen cabinets. I checked online for remedies, but didn't have all the ingredients on hand. What I did have on hand was Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Multi-Surface Cleaner in Basil scent.

I had read ants follow the scent of the lead ant and if you remove that they get confused and go away. Well, the Mrs. Meyer's line is "Aromatherapeutic Household Products" which have a pretty strong scent.

I saturated paper towels with the scent and wiped down the surfaces. Most were gone immediately and all were gone by Day 2.

The cleaner comes in many different scents and I expect they would all work. I used Basil because that was what I had. They also make Lemon Verbena which would be my choice #2 as the internet tells me ants don't like citrus smells.

It's a low-risk low-cost thing to try and if it works it works.

Good luck!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am

beehivehave wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:15 am
Well, people used to routinely handle lead, mercury and asbestos and think nothing of it. Makes you wonder how much of what we're doing now that is dangerous.
Reminds me of (I think it was) an old David Letterman top 10 list: "Top 10 Headline of the year 2000," (At the time 2000 was a few years into the future,)
  • Number 1 headline of the year 2000: "Oat Bran, the Silent Killer"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 am

I will 3rd Taurus SC....

- wear gloves, this stuff is very poisonous...

Always a good idea to wear gloves, but the stuff is not very poisonous to mammals. It's really quite selective for insect nervous systems.

The active ingredient in Taurus SC, fipronil 9.1%, is also the active ingredient in the popular dog and cat flea treatment Frontline, as well as other products. The concentration is similar, 10% fipronil in Frontline vs. 9.1% fipronil in Taurus SC (that's the concentrate, before the Taurus is diluted for spraying.) In the case of Frontline, the 10% product is deliberately applied to the animal's skin between the shoulder blades, from where it spreads to the remaining skin and oil glands over the entire animal.

Like imidacloprid, this is a nicotinoid insecticide with very low mammalian toxicity. For you youngsters out there, these products make flea control tremendously easier than the good old days, when we would have to spray much more toxic products on our carpets, furniture, and directly on pets. Back then, if your cat acted just a little bit sick after treatment, you probably gave about the right amount.
Semper Augustus

mffl

Post by mffl » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Teague wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 am

I will 3rd Taurus SC....

- wear gloves, this stuff is very poisonous...

Always a good idea to wear gloves, but the stuff is not very poisonous to mammals. It's really quite selective for insect nervous systems.

The active ingredient in Taurus SC, fipronil 9.1%, is also the active ingredient in the popular dog and cat flea treatment Frontline, as well as other products. The concentration is similar, 10% fipronil in Frontline vs. 9.1% fipronil in Taurus SC (that's the concentrate, before the Taurus is diluted for spraying.) In the case of Frontline, the 10% product is deliberately applied to the animal's skin between the shoulder blades, from where it spreads to the remaining skin and oil glands over the entire animal.

Like imidacloprid, this is a nicotinoid insecticide with very low mammalian toxicity. For you youngsters out there, these products make flea control tremendously easier than the good old days, when we would have to spray much more toxic products on our carpets, furniture, and directly on pets. Back then, if your cat acted just a little bit sick after treatment, you probably gave about the right amount.
Huh, ok, thanks for the clarification. I'd read some stuff that suggested this was a bit dangerous to handle, and also recommended the permanent separate sprayer for that reason. Good to know, but obviously I'll keep the gloves on. :)

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Terro liquid baits are the best IMO. I have tried many. Leave it out for 2 days and no more ants. Supposedly the scouts take the poison back to the colony to kill them all.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Terro worked for me. It took a while, and there were lots of ants. It did the job because they never returned.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Tortoisesque

Post by Tortoisesque » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Place the cat food dish in the middle of a wide, shallow dish filled with water. Creates a "moat" that's impossible for the ants to cross, so they can't get to the food.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:06 pm

I had exactly the same issue this summer. Terro wasn't getting it done and sometimes they would build nests in the bait and laugh. Terro is for ants that are attracted to sweets. I realized they were protein/grease eating ants. I mixed cat food with borax and put it on a small flat square of parchment. I put a few shims on the ground near the food bowl over the borax laced cat food. I set a big heavy bowl inverted over that such that the rims sat on the shims. The ants could march in, get the bait and bring it back to the nest. The cat couldn't get to the poison.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:58 am

windaar wrote:
Sounds to me like just a lot of ants. If you have an idea where they are trailing outside, you can try the larger outdoor bait stations. I have had excellent luck with them - and they tend to keep the ants outside while dining.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:44 am

windaar wrote:
1) Follow the trail back to the colony. Place the baits closer to the colony and away from the area where ants would be inconvenient. If outdoors, you can switch to the larger bait stations. Also use another brand gel bait to see if you get better results. (We always use Terro, but supplement it with other brands that we rotate between. It's whatever's on sale at Home Depot that year.)

2) Use mechanical "pesticides" like diatomaceous earth. It's cheap, non-poisonous, and some are even food grade (safe around children even if they eat it). Spread liberally on surfaces to deny insects the ability to pass that area. It never stops working if the area remains dry. It works great if you can sprinkle it inside a wall or area that you don't normally access or can't see.

3) Seal openings and holes the ants are using to enter the house. Once an opening is used by one colony, another may discover it.

4) You know Terro is working if it gets swarmed, then the swarm dies down. When it gets swarmed again, that's a new (or recovered) colony.

You'll never kill all the colonies in the world (or even in your yard.) But if you keep the numbers down outside your house, then block them from entering known paths into your house, and shut down swaths of the paths to the food areas, clean the surfaces where the ant trails were to wipe out the chemical markers they used, then keep the food areas as clean as possible, that should work.

It may take a while. We'd have an annual problem, wipe out the colony, and next year have the ants back again. Eventually we closed all the paths and openings. It's now been several years. We no longer even bait the yard outside the house.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:40 am

We have had random ant infestations, at long last the bug man put out something that worked. We haven't seen ants for several months.

He used Advion Ant Bait Stations. Our ants were very tiny black ones.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain