Florida black ants on lanai

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kersten

Florida black ants on lanai

Post by Kersten » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:42 pm

In the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian I have been pressure washing my lanai-three times in the last three days. The rains made a real mess.

Lifting up two chaise lounge covers I found a huge ant infestation.

Crowd size was about 500 and I am not exaggerating.

Hosing down the infestation has eliminated the ants from my view, but I would like to be proactive in putting down a product that would eliminate ants that I may have missed, and to guard against future infestations. Any suggestions as to what product to use?

Note: I have used AMDRO effectively for fire ants, but am at a loss for what to use for black ants in Florida. Thanks in advance for the naming of products or techniques that have worked for you. I don't really want to call pest control as I try to do much of the work on my home via myself like a lot of Bogleheads seem to do and I am too frugal to pay pest control.

livesoft

Re: Florida black ants on lanai

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I'd try Terro liquid as always for any ants. Amdro is likely to work as well for all ants.

I keep Terro in the fridge so that it doesn't spoil (oxidize) and use it as needed with great success.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:03 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:45 pm
I'd try Terro liquid as always for any ants.
+1. They work amazingly well.

Mako

Post by Mako » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm

+1 to Terro. If you really want to diy you can find borax recipes on the internet, but I’m lazy and just buy the traps.

I have read that sometimes ants prefer savory rather than sweet. If the traps don’t work mixing borax with peanut butter may work better. I never had to go that far though.

Always be cautious with these, especially less contained homemade versions, if you have kids or pets around.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 pm

Terro is pretty non-toxic to mammals.

Speaking of savory, for fun, put a small piece of a Dorito next to an ant mound and see what happens.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:45 pm
I'd try Terro liquid as always for any ants. Amdro is likely to work as well for all ants.

I keep Terro in the fridge so that it doesn't spoil (oxidize) and use it as needed with great success.
Good idea regarding keeping Terro in the fridge. I'm going to do that. I've noticed that the clear liquid turns an amber color after a couple months and no longer works very well.

brandy

Post by brandy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:45 pm

From a compilation I found several years ago:

"While 20 Mule Team Borax® is extremely effective in controlling or eliminating ants, termites, weeds, lice, fleas, spiders and roaches, the Dial Corporation notes, "This product has not been tested nor received approval from the EPA for use as a pesticide."
Even so if you mop or spray the floors, voids, sill boxes, tunnels, backs of furniture, appliances and other areas where you see insect pests with borax - you will be surprised on how great the material controls virtually all pests.
BORIC ACID - Boric acid and its salts have been used for pest control for over a hundred years, and in folk remedies for more than 1000 years. ... Most dust formulations have an abrasive action on the insect which removes the waxy coating on the exterior of the insect's body. The waxy coating is used to retain water and without it the insect quickly dies from dehydration. Be careful not to contaminate food, utensils, pets or people with any (boron) product!
How to Use Borax
from https://homeguides.sfgate.com/insects-b ... 83399.html
If you buy a commercial borax product designed as an insecticide, use it as directed on the label.
Here are some ideas of how and where to use it in your yard:
Make a bait with equal parts borax and powdered sugar, and sprinkle it where bugs congregate. This method works if you don't have small children who might come into contact with the bait.
For households with children, make a bait that doesn't contaminate an area where children play. Mix 2 cups of powdered sugar, 3 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of borax, and pour the mixture over cotton balls in a glass jar.
Tighten the lid of the jar and punch a few small nail holes in it for the bugs to enter. Set the traps near to where ants nest or travel.

Spoon or spray borax powder in cracks along a brick or stone retaining wall or driveways and under rocks to kill boxelder bugs, elm leaf beetle and other insects.
Place borax in a glass jar and place it anywhere in your garden to attract and kill insects.

Cautions When Using Borax
Borax is not overly toxic to humans, birds, bees and most aquatic life, but it can irritate your eyes, hands or lungs if you breath fumes or ingest the product from residue on your hands. Reduce the risks by wearing gloves and long sleeves when handling borax and by washing your hands thoroughly after using it. Don't use powders or sprays on windy days when you might be exposed to fumes. And, use borax only where pets and children won't have access to it.

ANTS viewtopic.php?f=11&t=280477
The only effective method I found is an old fashioned recipe - soaking large cotton balls with 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup water ( optional), and 1 tablespoon boric acid. Ants will take the boric acid back to the colony as poison. It takes 24 hours, but the ants will be gone. Keep the cotton balls away from kitty.