high toilet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mouses

high toilet

Post by mouses »

Age is catching up with me, and I'm thinking about having a regular toilet replaced with a higher one. I have a septic system, if that matters.

Any recommendations or unrecommendations for brands and features? Thank you.
bloom2708

Re: high toilet

Post by bloom2708 »

Costco close by? Costco member?

They sell a one and two piece higher sit, soft close lid, two flush option toilet that is really nice and a great price. All 3 toilets in our house are from Costco. Can't recall the brand sitting here.

Otherwise, I would shop Home Depot or Lowe's and try a few out.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Lots of options without having to replace the toilet. See, for example...

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Medica ... 201&sr=8-5
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Consider also putting in a grab bar. Do it now so you won't disturb things again later.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 am Lots of options without having to replace the toilet. See, for example...

I've been making do with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZACNXS but I'd prefer something that looks more like a regular toilet and less medical.

Bloom, there is no Costco in my state, alas.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Cyclesafe wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:00 am Consider also putting in a grab bar. Do it now so you won't disturb things again later.
There's a possibility of a grab bar on one side, which I am thinking about, but not on the other.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

We have a Kohler like this. It "gets it on out of there" with not much water.

The "aquapiston" really does create a good flush with minimal water.

It replaced a toilet that used far more water and didn't flush well. It was so bad that I pulled it thinking someone had dropped something in it.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

mouses wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:49 am Age is catching up with me, and I'm thinking about having a regular toilet replaced with a higher one. I have a septic system, if that matters.

I replaced all of our lower round toilets with elongated ADA approved (higher) toilets and we are very happy we did. Costco had the best price so that is where we bought them and they were under $100 each.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

TexasPE wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 am Lots of options without having to replace the toilet. See, for example...

+1, we put this one on for my father in-law, he loves it. Certainly cheaper than a new toilet, and easier than a grab bar.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

mouses wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:49 am Age is catching up with me, and I'm thinking about having a regular toilet replaced with a higher one. I have a septic system, if that matters.

The Toto Drake, ADA height elongated toilet is the best, flushes anything with 1.2 gallons, is virtually clog proof, and is available in any color, left or right flush handle. I’ve replaced Kohler and American Standard with this one and haven’t looked back. Get the soft closing seat/lid unless you want to upgrade to the washlet.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

One factor, it seems to me, in a "solution" is whether this toilet is used by others (such as guests in the home) and how such a "solution" might affect them - one way or the other.

Seems to me that just replacing the toilet with a higher model would be the best solution.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Take some time to figure out what height you would really like. Allow for the height of the seat. Maybe stick a small tape measure in your purse and measure a few. I had an elderly relative complain bitterly that the ADA toilet in her new apartment was "too high!" when she moved (it did seem pretty high to me, and I'm 6'1"). You might currently have an overly low toilet, and something more standard height might be sufficient.
PVW

Post by PVW »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:18 am

The Toto Drake, ADA height elongated toilet is the best, flushes anything with 1.2 gallons, is virtually clog proof, and is available in any color, left or right flush handle. I’ve replaced Kohler and American Standard with this one and haven’t looked back. Get the soft closing seat/lid unless you want to upgrade to the washlet.
In addition to ADA height, some other common names for higher than normal toilets are comfort height, chair height, universal height, maybe others.

I can verify (2nd hand) that the Toto Drake is a good toilet. I installed one for someone else, and they said it flushes very well. If you are replacing a "normal" toilet, replacement is pretty easy and you can save on the cost of labor. The Toto Drake that I installed was universal height, 2 piece, 1.6 GPF, 10 inch rough in, right hand flush, without seat/lid. Bought from Lowe's for about $270. Some other Toto toilets can be very expensive.

If comfort is more important that budget, I'd pick a Toto toilet with the height and features you want and hire a knowledgeable handyman to install it.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

We are both tall and had all the toilets in one place replaced with Legato Cotton White WaterSense Labeled Elongated Chair Height 1-piece Toilet 12-in Rough-In Size. We are very happy with them. Need to do it at the other place as well.

I did a lot of research. Things such as the size and placement of the "drop zone", how well they worked on the first flush, etc. This was the best I could find.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

+1
Replaced one of ours perhaps 15 years ago with the then Toto Drake, ADA height elongated toiled and have been delighted with it. Old unit shared by two bedrooms and living area, often was clogged. Toto, never clogs. Well worth it. I did recently replace the seat, a non-Toto product.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

This "high toilet" issue/consideration is going on my list of things to be aware of if/when we need to replace any of our toilets. Wish I had thought of this when we replaced one toilet 2-3 years ago. I suppose, as well, that my wife and I can agree on acceptable toilet heights!
hudson

Post by hudson »

Carl53 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:24 pm

+1
Replaced one of ours perhaps 15 years ago with the then Toto Drake, ADA height elongated toiled and have been delighted with it. Old unit shared by two bedrooms and living area, often was clogged. Toto, never clogs. Well worth it. I did recently replace the seat, a non-Toto product.
About 10 years ago, I researched toilets and came up with: Toto Drake, ADA height elongated. I bought 2 and kept both through remodels of both bathrooms. I would buy them again.

https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece ... gated-bowl

I like Terry Love's plumbing forums: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php
MJS

Post by MJS »

curmudgeon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:32 am Take some time to figure out what height you would really like. Allow for the height of the seat. Maybe stick a small tape measure in your purse and measure a few...
+1.
Short persons use high toilets with their toes dangling inches above the floor. Trying to leap off the seat is tedious to painful to dangerous. Imagine perching on a bar stool to do your business.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Never heard of such a thing. How much higher is it?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MOBY DICK

Post by MOBY DICK »

You want a TOTO toilet... they have not cheapened out yet and produce a proper height toilet. Not cheap but well worth it!
MaxRN

Post by MaxRN »

We've recently replaced standard height toilets with comfort height toilets. My plumber confided they used to be called handicapped toilets and nobody wanted them. Now the same ones are called comfort height and everybody gets them.
Don't believe everything you believe.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

MJS wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm
curmudgeon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:32 am Take some time to figure out what height you would really like. Allow for the height of the seat. Maybe stick a small tape measure in your purse and measure a few...
+1.
Short persons use high toilets with their toes dangling inches above the floor. Trying to leap off the seat is tedious to painful to dangerous. Imagine perching on a bar stool to do your business.
+1

DW and I have occasionally stayed in 'accessible' hotel rooms when standard rooms were sold-out - invariably the toilets are uncomfortably tall for her.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

fru-gal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:02 am

I've been making do with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZACNXS but I'd prefer something that looks more like a regular toilet and less medical.

Bloom, there is no Costco in my state, alas.
"Making do" :happy
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

PVW wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 pm

In addition to ADA height, some other common names for higher than normal toilets are comfort height, chair height, universal height, maybe others.

I can verify (2nd hand) that the Toto Drake is a good toilet. I installed one for someone else, and they said it flushes very well. If you are replacing a "normal" toilet, replacement is pretty easy and you can save on the cost of labor. The Toto Drake that I installed was universal height, 2 piece, 1.6 GPF, 10 inch rough in, right hand flush, without seat/lid. Bought from Lowe's for about $270. Some other Toto toilets can be very expensive.

If comfort is more important that budget, I'd pick a Toto toilet with the height and features you want and hire a knowledgeable handyman to install it.
You can likely find the Toto Drake from online plumbing shops for a good deal lower than the Lowes price. Also, the Eco Drake (1.2 gallon flush model, WaterSense certified) flushes just as excellent as the Drake (1.6 gallon flush). The main difference is the Eco has an improved flushing valve and discharge.

I can't comment on the "Drake 2" as I have stayed with the original Drake/Eco Drake models.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I suggest you get actual performance numbers and other important information. Here is one source that covers hundreds if not thousands of toilet models: https://www.map-testing.com/downloads.html

The Toto Drake is not unique. They have about a dozen variants and some of them have only 600-800 g of waste per flush ratings. The majority of toilets are rated for 1000 g and several of the Drakes achieve that.

When I replaced toilets a few years ago (and under less stringent design constraints) the American Standard Cadet was equal to or better than the best Toto and a lot cheaper. IIRC they use 1.3 gal water per flush and flush much ,much better than my old 7 gal waterhogs
dm200

Post by dm200 »

MJS wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm
+1.
My wife is much shorter than I am - another reason to consult with her before our making such a change.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

EZ James wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:31 am I suggest you get actual performance numbers and other important information. Here is one source that covers hundreds if not thousands of toilet models: https://www.map-testing.com/downloads.html

The Toto Drake is not unique. They have about a dozen variants and some of them have only 600-800 g of waste per flush ratings. The majority of toilets are rated for 1000 g and several of the Drakes achieve that.

When I replaced toilets a few years ago (and under less stringent design constraints) the American Standard Cadet was equal to or better than the best Toto and a lot cheaper. IIRC they use 1.3 gal water per flush and flush much ,much better than my old 7 gal waterhogs
I threw away two American Standard Cadets (shiver) and replaced them with Toto Eco Drakes a few years back. SO much better in every way, flushing, staying clean, quiet flush, comfort, etc. All toilets sold in USA have a 1.6 G (6L) flush maximum, and WaterSense (mandatory in some areas, good idea everywhere) models are 1.2 G (4L) per flush. Many companies really struggled to make flushable siphon toilets that don't clog all the time with the lower water levels since the original 6L mandate arrived nationwide in 1994.

[Tangent: Pressure power assisted (with air bottles) toilets that are quite loud filled the gap and were popular ~1995-2003 until quiet siphon technology improved. There are a bunch of class action lawsuits on some of the power assisted flush toilet mechanisms due to uncontained failures when the pressure tank ruptured and caused damage.]

American Standard (and some others) did approve their siphon flush toilets substantially in recent years as their designs now look closer to Toto, but having compared them in the same place and use, Toto Drake is far superior.

By the way, Europe and Asia toilets have used less water to flush well all along, but they operate by the wash down method instead of the USA style siphon method. Wash down toilets just don't clog, but the bowl does need more cleaning attention.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

We still have a regular flush toilet - although it does seem to use a bit less water than the older ones.

In an organization's building where I spend some time, the toilets there have the lower water use with an "air bottle" type of mechanism. It seems that the refilling of the tank pressurizes this bottle/tank. These toilets seem to flush things down quite well. Yes - they do make a bit more noise.

Or, to save water - as the saying goes:

"When it is yellow - let it mellow, but when it is brown - flush it down"v :oops: :confused
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Some people buying high toilets while others are going the other direction:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=squatty+pott ... boehubww_e
dm200

Post by dm200 »

mpnret wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:40 pm Some people buying high toilets while others are going the other direction:
Yes - supposed to be more "natural" - like our distant ancestors did it - although there are folks in many places today that do this.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

dm200 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:25 pm
mpnret wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:40 pm Some people buying high toilets while others are going the other direction:
Yes - supposed to be more "natural" - like our distant ancestors did it - although there are folks in many places today that do this.
You two beat me to that. To the OP point, we replaced a toilet for my MIL with the higher versions and even that was not high enough. So wound up installing a "toilet riser" similar to this. https://www.alimed.com/easy-toilet-rise ... gJtu_D_BwE

It works well and we removed it later. If one of the more typical tall toilets work, that is the best option.
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

dm200 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:17 pm We still have a regular flush toilet - although it does seem to use a bit less water than the older ones.

In an organization's building where I spend some time, the toilets there have the lower water use with an "air bottle" type of mechanism. It seems that the refilling of the tank pressurizes this bottle/tank. These toilets seem to flush things down quite well. Yes - they do make a bit more noise.

Or, to save water - as the saying goes:

"When it is yellow - let it mellow, but when it is brown - flush it down"v :oops: :confused
Once lived in a house where this procedure resulted in really hard deposits in the toilet water outlet near the bottom. I think it was a combination of hard water and mellowed uric acid crystals. The dual flush-volume systems seem like a better option all around. :)
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

OP, if moving from the seated position to the standing position is the "age-related" issue you're seeking to address by raising the seat, I defer to others on their recommendations. Just be aware that raising the toilet per such recommendations might cause other "side effects" regarding, uh, "regularity".

To put it bluntly, the human body was designed to defecate in a squatting position (knees on higher plane than hips). Many aging folks encounter issues in this critical "activity of daily living" after raising their seat - which successfully addressed their "getting off the toilet" issue. But "regulairity" issues then arise because they're basically trying to "#2" from a non-squatting position - and in extreme cases, from a near-standing position.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't raise the seat; do what you need to do. If you do encounter issues of the kind I refer to, consider this simple cheap solution to the side effect. (Apologies for the pop-ups/marketing but the research on this is solid.) You can pick up a SP for cheap at Bed Bath & Beyond and other retailers.

SoAnyway, as others have said, you also need to consider your specific "use case" (as the IT types call it) re. the toilet in question. Are you the only one using it? If so, no worries; if not, consider other users' needs in any changes you make.

Good luck, and appreciation for your post - We'll all likely be there at some point! ; )
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

The high toilet won't be a problem with your wastewater (septic) system. Just get one with a low gal./flush usage.
Kim
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.