Lend my car or pay for rental?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Planner01

Lend my car or pay for rental?

Post by Planner01 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:48 pm

A relative of mine is retired and likes to visit the state where I live as many of our other relatives live here - a bit scattered but within 1.5-2hrs of each other. During the week she will be visiting I will be on a business trip and originally I told her that maybe she could take my car while I am gone, in exchange to help my spouse with the drive to our kid’s school and pick up. The help is no longer needed as meetings were shuffled in order to accommodate school schedule. Not to mention that we like our independence since we are used to doing everything ourselves with no close relative by.

Well I believe that my relative is still thinking she can use my car while I am gone. I don’t want her to take it as I want to preserve the miles (98k) and if something happens I am not ready to buy a new car just yet. In 3 more years I want to pay for my next car cash.

I looked into rental cars for the week, $216, not bad. However I think that she may assume I will pay for it since I have more means that she does and I had offered my car, again it was to use for the school drop off/pick up.

In the event I end up with the bill for the rental (this person is on a tight budget), would you think is better to lend her my car or pay for the rental?

What’s a nice and polite way to say “no I won’t lend you my car?”

ResearchMed

Re: Lend my car or pay for rental?

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Planner01 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:48 pm
A relative of mine is retired and likes to visit the state where I live as many of our other relatives live here - a bit scattered but within 1.5-2hrs of each other. During the week she will be visiting I will be on a business trip and originally I told her that maybe she could take my car while I am gone, in exchange to help my spouse with the drive to our kid’s school and pick up. The help is no longer needed as meetings were shuffled in order to accommodate school schedule. Not to mention that we like our independence since we are used to doing everything ourselves with no close relative by.

Well I believe that my relative is still thinking she can use my car while I am gone. I don’t want her to take it as I want to preserve the miles (98k) and if something happens I am not ready to buy a new car just yet. In 3 more years I want to pay for my next car cash.

I looked into rental cars for the week, $216, not bad. However I think that she may assume I will pay for it since I have more means that she does and I had offered my car, again it was to use for the school drop off/pick up.

In the event I end up with the bill for the rental (this person is on a tight budget), would you think is better to lend her my car or pay for the rental?

What’s a nice and polite way to say “no I won’t lend you my car?”
If you can afford the rental (and especially if your relative might not be able to so much), then, having offered her your car, you should offer to pay. But IF you do this, give her the money somehow, and make certain that SHE is 100% responsible for the rental (both collision and liability, etc.).

Keep in mind that especially if finances are a bit tight for her, she may have planned carefully, keeping in mind that she would *not* have any car rental expenses.

And try somehow to make sure that no expectations are set up for "the same" in the future.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:08 pm

There is no nice and polite way since you already told her she could use your car.

Assuming she is a licensed driver, owns a car and is insured and your car is fully insured, the risk is pretty low. If something happens, then something happens. It’s a relative, family first and all that good stuff...

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:35 am

Consider renting yourself a car you would not normally drive, perhaps a sports car, hybrid, or electric vehicle. It will cost more than renting an econobox, but could be a lot of fun.

Ralph

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:43 am

Next time, don’t offer the car. I usually believe a person’s vacation is theirs to fund. Expenses like housing, cars, pets are on the person who is vacationing.

As for now, helping with a rental would be very kind.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:08 am

Follow a value system. You apparently offered her transportation. Whether it is your car or a rental is not the point. Rent or loan, your choice, your expense.

Tim

sport

Post by sport » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:06 am

If you let this relative use your car, how long will this situation last? Your car insurance may have limitations on guests using your car. If you are going to exceed that limit, they might have to be listed as a driver on your insurance. Of course, this could effect your insurance cost.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm

I would lend her your car. Don't go back on your word even though your situation has changed. There's no way I would pay for a rental for her.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:38 pm

What kind of car do you have? If it's a run of the mill Camry or something, just let her use it. If it's a Z06 Corvette or a Lotus or the like, then what were you thinking, offering it to her?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:05 pm

There is no polite way to do it now that you already agreed. Honestly, your excuse that you want to preserve your miles on a car with 98k sounds sort of lame.

Since you apparently are comfortable lending the car, then just do that. If you are concerned about liability or just do not want her driving your car, offer to pay for a rental using some kind of insurance problem excuse.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:25 pm

You promised something and it is now on you. Don't back out on your word. Give her the car. What is an extra few hundred miles anyways? If you are worried about your car, next time, don't offer it.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:44 am

It’s an old car, so just let her have it as agreed.

We once let my father borrow the car for a week or so to visit his sister. He returned it raving about the strawberries he bought along the road. The lovely tan rear floor carpets were permanently stained red. A reminder of his visit for many years.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 am

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:05 pm
Honestly, your excuse that you want to preserve your miles on a car with 98k sounds sort of lame.
Not sort of lame, very lame :) I mean seriously, how many miles is she going to put on in a week? If this was some kind of exotic with 1500 original miles, then ok I'm totally on board. But a mainstream sedan with 98k, who cares?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 am

Follow through as planned.
No rental car.
Next time be more careful what you promise.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 am

The only way I know of a nice and polite to say, "no I won’t lend you my car?” is to follow up with, "I will pay for a rental." Follow through or rent a car, pick your poison. Hopefully, this relative doesn't take you up on the offer. I wouldn't risk a possible resentment over $216.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Does she have a credit card that could be used for the rental, which includes CDW? If so, I'd pay for the rental. Your choice how much you would be bothered if she had minor collision damage, no matter if she's at fault or not.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 pm

At 98k miles the car is surely due for some sort of service, even if just an oil change and a "free 24 point inspection" from the dealer.

Ask your local dealer service writer if it's OK if you pick the car up in a week, because you're going out of town. Many times dealers won't mind if a car sits in the back lot for a while before pick up.

Then, "We're so sorry, Uncle Albert, (Aunt Edna) we're so sorry if we've caused you any pain. But the car's in the shop for the week."
Semper Augustus