reserving uber a week ahead

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
silentfaith

reserving uber a week ahead

Post by silentfaith » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Is it possible to arrange a very early pickup on a sunday with uber days in advance to the airport?

BogleMelon

Re: reserving uber a week ahead

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:26 pm

Scheduling a ride in advance
Uber now includes the option to schedule a ride 5 minutes to 30 days in advance using the Scheduled Rides feature
https://help.uber.com/riders/article/sc ... 8d8df1a605
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Yes.. HOWEVER, it is not guaranteed.

After reading a fair amount about it, I decided against it.

fposte

Post by fposte » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:45 pm

It's not really a reservation; drivers won't be notified in advance. The network will just issue your request some minutes before your desired pickup, same as if you were doing it yourself on the day.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Check the early mornings on Sat to see what coverage looks like. I've used the scheduling tool for Uber and Lyft before - no problems. But I know there's healthy coverage of drivers at those times. Drivers like working at that time because there's little to no traffic and they know a lot of folks are doing airport runs.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:24 pm

A driver for either uber or lyft, I forget which, gives her contact info on my town's facebook page and schedules in advance.

amoose

Post by amoose » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:40 am

I've used Lyft for this, and it looks like don't contact the driver until pretty near departure time. I find this a bit stressful as I wait at the door to go, wondering whether there will be a driver available and close by at that time. Drivers normally (for me at least) arrive a few minutes after the booked time.

I much prefer Wingz (wingz.com), where you schedule in advance and the driver gets assigned right away. So far (only two rides) in both cases the driver messaged directly the night before to say they'd be there on time, and both times they arrived a few minutes early. Wingz only operates in a few dozen markets, though.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:09 pm

silentfaith wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Is it possible to arrange a very early pickup on a sunday with uber days in advance to the airport?
No it is not.

You can schedule a ride in advance, but all this does is send out a pickup request at the specified time you indicate; no actual reservation is made ahead of time with a specific driver. If no drivers are available in the area when the request goes out, you will not get picked up.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:17 pm

There seem to be a surprising number of people working these "gigs." I have probably used Instacart 6-7 times in the past 3 or so months and never had the same Shopper. It's not like I live in a big city.

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Why is everyone saying the ride request will only be sent out before the scheduled time?

I have a ride scheduled for next weekend and Lyft sent me a verification the ride has been accepted as well as the driver's name, photo etc. I've done this many times and there is always a notification when a driver has accepted. I've also noticed the driver changes sometimes.

I know there is no guarantee the driver will show up but I think Lyft sends the offer to drivers when the ride is requested.
We plan. G-d laughs.