Where to live in NYC?[Updated with more details]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JHU ALmuni

Where to live in NYC?[Updated with more details]

Post by JHU ALmuni » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:56 am

Hi, we will be relocating to NYC from FL early next year and I'm wondering where to live.

I'd like to stay within one hour commute to NYC and in an affordable area where you can rent a two bedroom apartment for ̶~̶$̶2̶0̶0̶0̶ $2500. Good school system is also a plus since I have two kids. Total household income ̶$̶1̶2̶0̶K̶ $150K.

UPDATE [10/14/2019]:
Thanks for all the responses, I just got the final offer from my new employer so I updated my post with more information:
  • I will be working in Midtown Manhattan
  • Base pay is 150K (no bonus)
  • Looking at Zillow rental, I see some 2 bedroom apartments that cost ~$2,500/month in East Harlem, Manhattan Valley, Hell's Kitchen. Any of these areas I should avoid?
  • Any other places to consider outside of NYC to consider that have a commute time ~30 minutes and generally safe?
Last edited by JHU ALmuni on Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cadreamer2015

Re: Where to live in NYC?

Post by cadreamer2015 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:03 am

Where will your work be located? East side, West side, Midtown, Downtown? This makes an important difference in commute times. If your work location is Midtown near Penn Station, then NJ or Long Island might be attractive, for example. You might not live in New York City at all, depending on your priorities for commute, schools and rent.
De gustibus non est disputandum

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:10 am

Definitely need to know your work location more specifically. To give a useful example, if you live in the UES and commute down to Chelsea, that could take an hour, and that's within Manhattan. But your commute from Jersey City might only be 40 minutes.

Just to set expectations, what you describe: good commute, good schools, and cheap rent doesn't really exist. You will have to compromise.

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 am

Knowledge of work location is absolutely essential - if you work in Lower Manhattan you would probably prefer New Jersey over Westchester or Connecticut.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:56 pm

as someone who lives in the region, be prepared to be very underwhelmed by what $2000/mo. gets you - especially in a good school district.

your QOL will be much lower here on that income. just being realistic.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:56 pm
as someone who lives in the region, be prepared to be very underwhelmed by what $2000/mo. gets you - especially in a good school district.

your QOL will be much lower here on that income. just being realistic.
Yup! You want to live in a town with an accessible train line. Trains are more dependable usually, buses are subjected to traffic conditions. If you live in NJ and take the bus, you'll most likely be traveling either over the GW Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel. The traffic at night can be horrendous. Having young kids, you'll want to be able to get home at a reasonable and consistent hour ~ don't count on it with the bus! School districts - going to be difficult, especially with a lot of the more 1 bedroom modern apartments going for $2K per month not including utilities. COL in the NY/NJ/CT markets is very high. You can look on city-data forum in the various state/town subforums for more detailed information.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 pm

mcraepat9 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 am
Knowledge of work location is absolutely essential - if you work in Lower Manhattan you would probably prefer New Jersey over Westchester or Connecticut.
Long Island is accessible to Lower Manhattan, either via Penn Station or Atlantic Avenue then NYC transit - but it is a costly commute depending on just where in LI you take the train from.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

boglewow

Post by boglewow » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Suggestions that may work with that budget and are accessible via subways/public transportation:

1. Bronx - Washington Heights
2. Queens- Forest Hills/RegoPark/Kew Gardens
3. Brooklyn- Bay Ridge/ Bensonhurst
4. Staten Island- anywhere 10-15mins from ferry terminal

$2000/mth can get maybe a studio in Manhattan or 1br walkup.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:17 pm

boglewow wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:23 pm
Suggestions that may work with that budget and are accessible via subways/public transportation:

It's been a while, but I thought Washington Heights was in Manhattan.

Anyhow, I once commuted to the city from Bayside, Queens. It was a really good commute on the LIRR. Not sure what the rents are now, though, they may be too high.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Bay Ridge is probably your best bet at that price point. Woodside and Sunnyside in Queens might be worth a look as well.

Are you looking to find something before you move or will you be staying somewhere temporarily while you look?

Are you wanting to live IN the city or do you prefer the suburbs?
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

bowest

Post by bowest » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:17 pm
boglewow wrote:

It's been a while, but I thought Washington Heights was in Manhattan.

Anyhow, I once commuted to the city from Bayside, Queens. It was a really good commute on the LIRR. Not sure what the rents are now, though, they may be too high.
$2,000-$2,500 would get ok 2 BR in Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck (all on same LIRR commuter rail line. ~30 minute commute to Penn Station). Schools through HS are all good in the area. If kids are younger, Douglaston probably has better grammar school (K-6).

bowest

Post by bowest » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:27 pm
Bay Ridge is probably your best bet at that price point. Woodside and Sunnyside in Queens might be worth a look as well.

Are you looking to find something before you move or will you be staying somewhere temporarily while you look?

Woodside, Sunnyside schools less than ideal.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:50 pm

There ARE some pockets of excellence there. But I agree, Bay Ridge is a safer bet. District 20 is not perfect, but it's a cut above.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Topic Author
JHU ALmuni

Re: Where to live in NYC?[Updated with more details]

Post by JHU ALmuni » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:47 pm

I will be working in Midtown Manhattan, just got the confirmation from the new employer.

Topic Author
JHU ALmuni

Post by JHU ALmuni » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:47 pm

boglewow wrote:

Thank you, will look into your suggestions!

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Woodside/Sunnyside

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Yeah, I'd be looking into Queens, which has a relatively easy commute into Midtown Manhattan w/more space for the money than anywhere in Manhattan. I'm not too familiar with the school quality in those regions, but they aren't top of mind when ppl talk about good school districts.

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 pm

bowest wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm
BarbBrooklyn wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Woodside, Sunnyside schools less than ideal.
We are happy with elementary school here but I recommend the District 30 side as opposed to the District 24 side for better range of school options. A new middle school is under construction in Sunnyside but may take years to open. Currently it is true that you would choose a middle school out of the neighborhood (and there is no high school here) - but middle/high school is a complicated application process anyway where kids have access to programs across the city. [note I have sent the OP a private message with more details on the area]