Simple emergency prep tip(s)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
psteinx

Simple emergency prep tip(s)

Post by psteinx »

======
Print an emergency contact list, in a small font, business card-sized. Multiple copies, as needed. One for your family member's wallets, others to stash elsewhere (dorm room, car, etc.). Yes, some might have these as contacts in their phone (but what if it's lost?)

Some #s from mine/ours:
On one side, a wide variety of family and friend phone #s

On the other side:
General - Fire/Police/Ambulance 911
Poison Control 800 222 1222
(Our local PD)
FEMA 800 621 3362
(Our local FBI office)
[The next 3, in part, because our kids will be overseas at some point in the next 12 months]
State Dept. # for overseas emerg. 888 407 4747
State Dept. from overseas 202 501 4444
(An international embassy, near where they'll be travelling)
(Campus police #, for college kids)
(Our church)
(Our car insurance phone # and policy #)
(Our vehicle make, model, year, and license plate #s)
(Our doctor #s)
(Our medical insurance phone # and policy ID/info)
Delta 800 221 1212
SW Air 800 I FLY SWA
American Airlines 800 433 7300
United Airlines 800 UNITED-1
[Most US flights will be on one of the above 4, or at least their networks]
(Our bank - local and national #)
(Key brokerage phone #s)
(Credit card phone#s and last 4 digits, for some)

[I hope I've got the above #s correct - no guarantees...]
===
Also, a first aid kit for each vehicle.
===
Also, a go-bag for our house (backpack stuffed with a variety of supplies, tools).
BuckyBadger

Re: Simple emergency prep tip(s)

Post by BuckyBadger »

I can't say that i have the local FBI office saved in my phone.

I keep a quart of oil in the trunk as well.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'm doomed. :(
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I am not prepped; nor a prepper, apparently.
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

You can buy simple (small and portable) first aid kits at Wal-Mart, fairly cheaply.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Under what circumstances would i call the fbi?
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Eh, that one's maybe a stretch. But not every local PD throughout the country is entirely up to snuff (in various ways), and for certain situations (say, a kidnapping), involving the FBI quickly might be appropriate, and it might be faster/more direct to be able to do that one's self than to rely on local police response.
stuper1

Post by stuper1 »

What is in the go-bag? Genuinely curious.
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Paper document with this inventory list (in at least rough form)
Paper document with Emergency plan list (other tab in this document)
Biz card sized document with key contacts, key national resources
Maps (State & National)
Foods - energy bars, rice & beans
Canteen or water jug(s)
Small pot (to boil water, rehydrate dried stuff)
Matches
Water purification tablets & filter straw
Fishing line and hooks
First aid (Assorted, + extra ibuprofin, anti-bacterial, bleeding stopper)
Super glue
Pepper spray
Audio alarm
Whistle / Compass
Knife (Lock blade style)
Multi-tool (with can opener)
Cordage & heavy string + caribiners
Flashlights
Duct tape
Emergency tent
Ponchos
$80 cash, mixed denominations
Aluminum foil
Heavy duty plastic trash bags x ~5
Assorted resealable plastic bags
AA Batteries x 6
Pen, pencil, paper
Extra Glasses
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

I had the list already in spreadsheet format - obscured the state. Also, had the previous list (of phone #s and such), obviously obscured/summarized some of that stuff, too.
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

Credit card and frequent flyer numbers and codes can be stored in Apple Pay
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

It might be good to store information on phones, on computers, in the cloud, or elsewhere, digitally.

But crises of various sorts would tend to have a correlation, IMO, with such devices and/or their contents not being readily available. Paper/light cardstock can be misplaced/lost too, but one can make a few copies and stash them in locations such that at least one is likely to be accessible when needed.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I've always like the idea of an emergency/first-aid kit in each car. That seems like a no-brainer along with battery charging cables and a couple flares.

I also like the idea of a "go-bag".

Thanks for the reminders on both, as I've been too busy lately to actually put these suggestions into practice! :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

If I had cell phone service, I could google any of these phone numbers.

For the refugee scenario, I wonder what the best prepared refugees bring to survive?
BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp »

I'm finding this thread rather confusing. Are you prepping for an emergency while you are AWAY from home (hence all the phone numbers) or for one AT home (hence the go-bag)? If the latter are you assuming a natural disaster or civil unrest? In the case of either of these most of your phone numbers will probably be relatively useless since the services will be overwhelmed. A simple go-bag should probably include a lot of cash, data vault backup of your documents, extra meds (if needed), and several changes of undies. Munitions optional.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Barbaric, the go-bag is mainly based on something at home. The emergency #s card can go in a wallet (and other locations) and should thus be available both at home and on the road in most instances.

This stuff is not necessarily aimed at one or two specific scenarios, but rather, having information, and in the case of the go-bag, some potentially useful supplies, available across a wide range of scenarios.

No, these obviously don't provide absolute security, and folks can nit-pick what I did and did not include.

And, while perhaps not drawing as much attention because it was only a single sentence in my OP, the card has a lot of personal contact #s of one sort or another. Much of that is redundancy (if you can't contact A, contact B), some of that might be useful for notification (if something bad happens to an immediate family member, call most/all of the #s on that list), and some has some geographic pertinence (approx locations listed for many - if you have an emergency and you're in/near Chicago, some might be more useful than others, and so on).
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Wellfleet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:55 pm If I had cell phone service, I could google any of these phone numbers.
1: "If"
2: No you couldn't. A lot of the personal contact numbers are unlikely to be readily available, unless you've stored them in some kind of personal cloud or the like.
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

And, fwiw, I'm far less of a cell phone guy than most. That said, cell phones have a lot of possible points of failure.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

livesoft wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:14 pm I'm doomed. :(
So am I. See you there, where ever "there" is. :beer

I don't even have all those items in my home, much less in a go-bag. I suppose I will have quite the adventure when the time comes.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:48 pm $80 cash, mixed denominations
I think that amount is going to be woefully inadequate. In a true emergency.

Ten X $80 more realistic.

Do concur with the idea of mixed denomination.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm far more minimalist. When the kids were small, our note had our address. The number to call was 9-1-1.

And yes, when I fill out waivers that ask who to call in case of an emergency, I do write "doctor" and for telephone, 9-1-1.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:19 pm And, fwiw, I'm far less of a cell phone guy than most. That said, cell phones have a lot of possible points of failure.
What type of phone do you plan to use? Pay phones aren't exactly common in my area.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Program your cell phone so it displays (preferably without needing to "get into" the phone):

ICE: <your spouse/significant other's> phone number

ICE= In Case Of Emergency
And somewhere (in purse/wallet, for example) phone number of physician/hospital.

We also keep each care filled with at least 1/2 tank of gas, and preferably a bit more.
Cash, in various small denominations, and yes, much more then $80.
Some of our critical meds are always with us anyway; the others could wait if necessary.
Credit cards.

We are well past "tents and carabiners" these days.
If those are truly needed, then yes, we'll join the doomed.
Otherwise, we'll hunker down at home, and if real "semi-doom" threatens, we head out quickly, with destination and mode of travel determined in part by nature of emergency.

We also register with the US State Department, so IF there is a true disaster where we are, they'll have some sort of minimal chance of finding/helping us. But we are not really counting much on that for true disaster situations. Depending upon what was happening or approaching, we'd hope to already be "gone" (however you want to interpret that..)

More likely is something like a traffic accident or other medical emergency, so we'd want to have the "other" be phoned ASAP.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

drawpoker wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:31 pm
psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:48 pm $80 cash, mixed denominations
I think that amount is going to be woefully inadequate. In a true emergency.

Ten X $80 more realistic.

Do concur with the idea of mixed denomination.
Mixed denominations of currency is one area where I am a strong believer in simplicity. Denoms of 5, 20, & 100 are all I keep in my wallet for any length of time. I only use singles for tips and try to keep a few in my pocket. I can't imagine singles would be much help in a true emergency, but I guess there would be no harm in having 10-20 of them.

If I were stocking a go-bag, I would keep at least $1000 in it. I routinely keep that or more in my night stand.
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Wellfleet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:42 pm
psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:19 pm And, fwiw, I'm far less of a cell phone guy than most. That said, cell phones have a lot of possible points of failure.
What type of phone do you plan to use? Pay phones aren't exactly common in my area.
There are, what 500 million phones or so in the USA?

If X = Odds that I will have MY phone, working, (and working on the network where I'm at), with batteries charged, etc.

And Y is "I can find a phone somewhere (including, of course, land lines)."

Then the odds of Y are likely > X. And the odds of (X+Y) are almost certainly > X. (Remember, just because I have information stored outside of my phone doesn't mean I can't use that information on my own phone.)
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 am ======
Print an emergency contact list, in a small font, business card-sized. Multiple copies, as needed. One for your family member's wallets, others to stash elsewhere (dorm room, car, etc.). Yes, some might have these as contacts in their phone (but what if it's lost?)
Right, since no one memorizes phone numbers anymore
===
Also, a first aid kit for each vehicle.
I always keep my oil changed, car tires properly inflated and never let the gas tank get below 1/2 tank. To me, basic car maintenance is closely related to emergency preparedness. You can't go far with a nearly-empty gas tank and flat tires.
===
Also, a go-bag for our house (backpack stuffed with a variety of supplies, tools).
I thought the definition of a go-bag was something to grab if you need to leave the house (e.g., "go")
Topic Author
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

DesertDiva wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:06 pm
psteinx wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 am Also, a go-bag for our house (backpack stuffed with a variety of supplies, tools).
I thought the definition of a go-bag was something to grab if you need to leave the house (e.g., "go")
1) Different people use different labels for "go bag", and maybe have different purposes for them.
2) It's kept AT our house, but is geared towards stuff that would be useful if we had to flee our house, for various reasons. Some of it might also be helpful for a "shelter in place" type disaster, too, though much of it we either wouldn't need if sheltering at home or could otherwise dig up from more conventional usages at our house.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Weird, no mention of a gold coins in the bug out bags? I thought when S hits the F paper money would be useless?
Gold coins and silver bullets*

*for the zombies of course, or vampires? I forget.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

One possible scenario would be that you are robbed while traveling. The thief took your wallet and cell phone and you have to go to the emergency room for treatment. Some of those numbers would be needed. Best to have multiple copies that are accessible under different scenarios.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:54 pm
.......only use singles for tips and try to keep a few in my pocket. I can't imagine singles would be much help in a true emergency, but I guess there would be no harm in having 10-20 of them.
You betcha.

Guess you haven't had occasion to use vending machines around hospital ERs and waiting rooms lately. Around here, the machines take only dollar bills, no coins, no larger than $1 denomination :shock:
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:46 pm One possible scenario would be that you are robbed while traveling. The thief took your wallet and cell phone and you have to go to the emergency room for treatment. Some of those numbers would be needed. Best to have multiple copies that are accessible under different scenarios.
I used to travel overseas a lot for business. One of the things I did was get a recommendation on which hospital to be taken to at my various destinations if something happened to me. In some parts of the world, it matters a lot. I arranged for locals to prepare a simple sheet with instructions in the local language to take me to XYZ so if I needed to instruct an ambulance or taxi I could just hand them the sheet. Never had to use it for myself but a colleague had his appendix rupture in HK and I gave him my sheet as they wheeled him out of the hotel.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

drawpoker wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:12 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:54 pm
.......only use singles for tips and try to keep a few in my pocket. I can't imagine singles would be much help in a true emergency, but I guess there would be no harm in having 10-20 of them.
You betcha.

Guess you haven't had occasion to use vending machines around hospital ERs and waiting rooms lately. Around here, the machines take only dollar bills, no coins, no larger than $1 denomination :shock:
Thankfully, no.

It does make me think of the scene in Dr Strangelove where the guy needed a dime for a pay phone though.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It is pretty clear that many people have never actually experienced an emergency where they needed to get out. I know for a fact that cash and gold have never helped me in an emergency (tornado, hurricanes, flooding, extended loss of power).

Don't forget to have items to evacuate and take care of your pets. I am aware of people who burned alive along with their pets because they would not evacuate.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.