DFW to Tasmania - 15 hour time change

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KBREAMK

DFW to Tasmania - 15 hour time change

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:54 am

I live in the DFW area and will be traveling to Tasmania, Australia for business later this year. There is a 15 hour time change. I'll be flying business class which will help and usually try to sleep as much as I can on international flights and then, once I arrive, I try to stay awake until the local bed time. I will build in 2 days to acclimate to the time change before my work begins (which will be several speaking engagements). Obviously a 15 hour time change is pretty intense so I am curious to hear how you'd approach (or have approached) this trip.

ScubaHogg

Re: DFW to Tasmania - 15 hour time change

Post by ScubaHogg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 am

I actually don’t think 15-hours is the worst. If you look at it a different way, it’s more like rolling back 9 hours on the clock. Still a lot, but to me 12-hours is the most disruptive. Things I do in these situations:

- Eat well the day of your trip and try to work out prior to going to the airport. I think this helps sleeping on the plane (if it’s a late red eye, take an afternoon nap).
- Sleep as much as humanly possible on the plane. It won’t prevent you from sleeping once you arrive in Australia, but will help you adjust more.
- if you arrive at the hotel midday or later, try and stay awake. Or at most take a 30 min-1 hour nap. Work out again. Get outside in the afternoon for awhile and get the sun on you. This works doubly well if you can be outside as it goes from daytime to night. It’ll help your body figure out wth is going on.
- drink more water than you think you need. One rule of thumb is 16oz per flight hour (due to the dehydrating effects of the cabin pressure.
- one thing I do different if I arrive somewhere early in the morning is take a couple hour nap. Never stops me from sleeping that night but helps me get through the day.

Bruce T

Post by Bruce T » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 am

I have heard (and try to follow) the advice to treat the in-transit time as though you are in the destination time-zone as soon as you are settled into your seat, which in your case gives you almost an added day of jet-lag adjustment.

Also, I am not personally a partaker of it, but have family members who use a sleeping pill on long trips like that as they have challenges with sleeping on a plane. If I had never taken them before, I certainly don't think I would start on a plane (too far from any medical help in event of adverse reaction).

If dry air bothers you on a flight, then you might take a scarf-like item to retain some air moisture while sleeping.

I hope that you are able to see some of Tasmania beyond the walls of your professional engagements ... perhaps those added days are put to good use being very active during day hours so as to help you get "good-and-tired" rest at the time-zone's night hours.

Safe travels!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 am

You want to start living on Australia time a week before the trip. I don't think two days is enough for professional speaking engagements.

And yes flying business class will help as long as you eat light and stay away from alcohol. Hopefully you get a reasonable seatmate because the person sitting next to you could be drunk and somewhat disturbing.

Good luck with your trip.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:25 am

KBREAMK wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:54 am
I live in the DFW area and will be traveling to Tasmania, Australia for business later this year. There is a 15 hour time change. I'll be flying business class which will help and usually try to sleep as much as I can on international flights and then, once I arrive, I try to stay awake until the local bed time. I will build in 2 days to acclimate to the time change before my work begins (which will be several speaking engagements). Obviously a 15 hour time change is pretty intense so I am curious to hear how you'd approach (or have approached) this trip.
Is this the first time you are going abroad (across multiple time zones) or is it the first time you are going this far out? If it is the former, i would suggest that you just do what you've been doing all along but a bit more rigorously.

If it is your first time, I don't know if advise will be really helpful - each person adjusts differently. Some folks have absolutely no issue; others are walking zombies. Hopefully, you are among the first set :-)

That said, enjoy. Australia is a fun destination. Wait - I actually have a suggestion - why not take a week off, and go a week early? Spend time travelling around - at least Sydney and Melbourne. Then you will be un-jetlagged by the time your business engagement comes around!

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:33 am

KBREAMK wrote:
I live in the DFW area and will be traveling to Tasmania, Australia for business later this year.
Summer is approaching in Australia. Plan for it as well while you are there.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:35 am

When I flew from NYC to Auckland, I flew NYC-LAX, then LAX to Auckland. The LAX-Aukland flight departed at 11pm PT (2AM ET). I slept for most of the flight and arrived auckland at around 6-7am local time fresh. No problems at all with time change. I believe it was harder on the return trip.
Wiki

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am

KBREAMK wrote:
I learned that one very helpful thing to do just before taking a long or very long plane trip is to shower and put on all clean clothes. I am not sure why, but such long plane trips, for me, are much less unpleasant when I start clean and fresh clothes vs. wearing the clothes I may have had on all day.

I would not drink any alcohol on the flight either. You are fortunate if you can sleep on a plane. I am almost never able to do that.

Also, if possible, be as prepared as you can when you arrive home.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:46 am

I usually just stay up and crash when I arrive. I've never been able to sleep well on planes, even in lie flat seats, so a bit of sporadic dozing is all I can do anyway. The next morning, I get up and go for a walk. Getting some sunshine helps. Easing into the time difference a few days in advance helps too. My long flights have been to Asia where I'm usually landing in the evening. If I land in the morning, I've gotten a day room at a hotel to nap for a bit on arrival.

Someone mentioned hydration as important and I agree. I avoid alcohol on long flights and usually bring a couple large water bottles with me. On 14-16 hour flights I'll go through a couple liters of water.

I acclimate quicker on the way over. I'm usually off for a couple days on my return home.

Topic Author
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks for all the advice, folks. It's very much appreciated. I have done a lot of international travel but this will be first time to Australia. I have traveled to Japan before and did fine. Hydration, as several mentioned, has always been really important. And, yes, I definitely plan to do some sight seeing while I'm there. Should be a fun trip.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:54 am

KBREAMK wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:49 am
Thanks for all the advice, folks. It's very much appreciated. I have done a lot of international travel but this will be first time to Australia. I have traveled to Japan before and did fine. Hydration, as several mentioned, has always been really important. And, yes, I definitely plan to do some sight seeing while I'm there. Should be a fun trip.
True dat. Here are the sight seeing suggestions I got a couple of years ago :-)

[edited to add]: Just realized that unless you spend a lot of time on the mainland, you might not be able to do most of the suggestions.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:14 am

You definitely have the right approach. I've flown several times to Aus/NZ and found this works well for me:

- usually flights from LAX leave around 9 or 10PM in the evening, so you're good and tired already depending where you came from.
- stay awake until dinner service on the airplane.
- Have a glass of wine (or two) with dinner. I like to take a benadryl. :)
- sleep on plane as best as you can. Bring a mask, earplugs/sound cancellation, etc.
- flights usually arrive in the morning. The daylight will bounce you back to reality to start the day.
- Try to take a walk in the early afternoon. This is the hardest time for me to stay away. If you must nap, nap only for an hour. Set an alarm.
- Early bed time.
- Awake refreshed the next day!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:16 am

I see that folks have recommended what I do, but not all together.

Switch to destination time while still at home maybe at least 24 hours ahead of the flight. That means switch your meal times. Instead of "stay up and crash when I arrive" I recommend that one "stay up and crash" before you arrive. Skip the meals on the flights, too, especially dinners. You should crash on the plane (and be so tired that you fall asleep while people are being served dinner) and arrive already refreshed with your body in the destination time zone. You can eat breakfast on the plane if it arrives in the morning.

Push your biological clock forward, not backwards.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am

As soon as a date for the trip was discussed, would have immediately scheduled PTO for the same time to avoid the trip. Also, having an expired passport helps.

Topic Author
KBREAMK

Post by KBREAMK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am
As soon as a date for the trip was discussed, would have immediately scheduled PTO for the same time to avoid the trip. Also, having an expired passport helps.
You win for best BH post of the day! :sharebeer

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:56 am

I have travelled quite a few times between the US and Oz. I find it takes a couple of weeks to fully adjust your body clock. In the mean time, plenty of coffee during the day to keep awake. Strong diversions in the evening, like a drinking party, can help. If your trip there is short, however, it may be better to give up and maintain home your time clock.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:14 am
You definitely have the right approach. I've flown several times to Aus/NZ and found this works well for me:

- usually flights from LAX leave around 9 or 10PM in the evening, so you're good and tired already depending where you came from.
- sleep on plane as best as you can. Bring a mask, earplugs/sound cancellation, etc.
- flights usually arrive in the morning. The daylight will bounce you back to reality to start the day.
- Try to take a walk in the early afternoon. This is the hardest time for me to stay away. If you must nap, nap only for an hour. Set an alarm.
- Early bed time.
I would stay away from alcohol completely!

The airline flight schedules are made for the benefit of the airline - keeping planes in the air and getting the planes where they need to be - and when they need to be there. The "convenience" of the passengers is a distant lower priority.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:33 pm

I regularly take 13 hour time zone shift trips. Like some of the others, I can't sleep well on a plane so I just concentrate on staying hydrated and doing stretching exercises with my legs as much as the seat in front of me allows. Once I land, I try to eat a good meal and then dose myself with a sleeping agent. I usually try to do that for the first two nights and then I usually consider myself fully adjusted to my new time zone. It helps to have something active (i.e. away from any beds in a hotel) for that first full day where ever you are so you can't nap.

victw

Post by victw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:49 pm

There are calculators on-line that help you adjust to your target time zone.

I usually find it easier to go from the Central time to Pacific. That's heading west. But I'm not sure that extrapolates to crossing the Pacific.

If you find a method that works better than your previous - update us.
Vic

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm

With Tasmania as the final destination, OP will most likely have to change planes and terminals in Sydney following going through customs. Count on this taking a minimum of 1.5 hours, maybe 2+ hours and not get to Hobart until mid-day. If you choose a flight through Melbourne (not nonstop from DFW), you could also choose to take the Spirit of Tasmania ferry overnight. We did this once rather than fly back. The ferry only goes to the Devonport on the north of Tasmania, and may very well be no where you will be speaking. Our only visit to Tassie gave us five days. Would like to have had two weeks.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:11 pm

KBREAMK wrote:
Ambien (Zolpidem). Short acting so you don't wake up groggy and little impact on REM sleep.
Melatonin to deal with jet lag, although it works better eastbound than westbound. Google it for recommendations as to how to take it.
Do a lot of stretching in the plane aisle when you are not asleep.
Good plane pillow and traveling blanket and eye mask (and ear plugs if they work for you).

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm

protagonist wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:11 pm
KBREAMK wrote:
Ambien (Zolpidem). Short acting so you don't wake up groggy and little impact on REM sleep.
Melatonin to deal with jet lag, although it works better eastbound than westbound. Google it for recommendations as to how to take it.
Good plane pillow and traveling blanket and eye mask (and ear plugs if they work for you).
If you plan to take ANY meds, Rx or OTC, please try them at home once or twice well before your trip!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:24 pm

an_asker wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:54 am
KBREAMK wrote:
True dat. Here are the sight seeing suggestions I got a couple of years ago :-)

[edited to add]: Just realized that unless you spend a lot of time on the mainland, you might not be able to do most of the suggestions.
We loved Tasmania! Here are a couple of suggestions!

Borongora wildlife sanctuary
Port Arthur Prison
Cradle Mountain Lodge (fantastic lodge and National Park)
Platypus House
Museum of Old and New Art MONA (Amazing place, not your typical Museum).

WoodSpinner

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 pm

I've never been to Australia. Been to a variety of destinations in Asia in roughly your same time zone. Some 24 hour flights (when taking into account the layover). Seems to run counter to some of the recommendations thus far but I'm a big fan of drinking on the planes (you may sleep some or you may not - zone out watching movies otherwise - let your mind relax) and going to sleep a couple of hours after you get to your hotel (unless it is dark in which case go to sleep immediately after showering). One drink - one seltzer while you are in the air. Stay hydrated. Wake up the next morning and just go with it. You will probably wake up at some ridiculous time like 4:30am.
Doesn't matter. Get dressed and go the hotel buffet when they open and have some coffee and whatever looks good or interesting. You need to get on local time ASAP. That has worked for me. It might not for you. Enjoy your trip!
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm

I do europe and ANZ each about 4 times per year and to be honest I have less jet lag going to Australia when I leave late evening and arrive 2 days later early to mid morning. Australia is just easier the first few days. Hopefully you will be in the front of the plane with lie flat seating. I do sleep easily when flying though.

Was in Tassy July and last March, we really enjoy it.

BTW, if you like scotch whisky check out Sullivans Cove Distillery about 10 mins from Hobart airport. World class Tasmanian Whisky - the vinyards there are super too. Have fun.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:42 pm

East to West is much easier than West to East, even with as many hours change as going to Asia/ Australia.

Even going W to E, I have no trouble with speaking a day after arriving. The problem is paying attention when you are not speaking. So if you have meetings where you actually need to pay attention you may need more recovery time.

I always ignore the advice not to have alcohol on the plane. I make no special effort to "hydrate" I just drink water when I want it.

To help with jet lag: try to get on local schedule, and get as much sunlight as you can. Should be no problem in Australia.

I have used benadryl and melatonin (not at the same time). I like benadryl because it comes in a packaging unlikely to attract attention if you go to one of the Asian countries.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:28 pm

There's no single answer. People react differently.

DOT NOT take Ambien unless you frequently use it. We once had a guy standing next to us at Heathrow Arrivals collapse on the floor, have people rush over to help him, and then he quickly stood up to say "Oh, its just the Ambien". Fortunately he didn't injure himself when he fell.

You know how you react to alcohol and that will help you decide whether to have none, one or two drinks. It may help you sleep or it may make you uncomfortable. Business class definitely helps. Avoid overeating, too. Some people like to watch movies on a laptop. I don't like headphones that apply pressure to my ears so I use earbuds.

I think your approach to arrive two days before you speak is good. That's my minimum. I find that I do fine on arrival day but want to nap on the first full day I've made such a long trip. I'd also make sure you give yourself 2 full days on the back side to acclimate back to home time before going back to work, if possible. Definitely try to minimize family obligations the day after you return.

On arrival we try to do something moderately active. Walking in the city or a park or along the coast or maybe a tourist site. One time in Sydney we did the Bridge Climb the day of arrival from West Coast. If you will arrive at your hotel before 3 PM there's a good chance your room won't be available so have a plan to leave your luggage and do something nearby.

Enjoy the trip! It will be an adventure and an opportunity to learn.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Post a pic of a Thylacine if you see one ;)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm
protagonist wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:11 pm
KBREAMK wrote:
If you plan to take ANY meds, Rx or OTC, please try them at home once or twice well before your trip!

RM
good advice....
And don't take any more than needed.

Yinks

Post by Yinks » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 pm

I tend to set my clock to the local time where I'm traveling once I get one the plane. It gives me a sense of "I should sleep now" or "I should stay awake longer"

Once I arrive I eat meals at regular local time. Body not hungry but it's 12 noon? Eat a lite meal to get your body used to the new cadence.

My two biggest pieces of advice:
1. Expose yourself to sunlight during the day. Your body will know it's daytime and help you stay awake.
2. Need to take a mid day nap? Set an alarm for no more than 2 hours. No 6 hour afternoon naps between lunch and dinner!

I fly Bay Area to Asia once a year for the last 10 years (last 2 trips with my toddler). It's a 15 hour difference and this approach gets me on local time in one day.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:04 pm

One thing is that if you will be driving then don't get your rental car until you have been there for a few days. You do not want to be trying to drive on the left when you are jetlagged. I saw that recommendation several places when I was researching my trip to Australia.

I went to Australia earlier this year, I was coming from the east coast so I spend two nights in California and played tourist to break up the flight then flew to Australia. (Being retired and not being in a hurry helps :) )

Flying there was really not all that bad for us even though we flew coach and did not sleep well on the flight. The flight took off early in the evening and we arrived early in the morning. We forced ourselves to stay up all day then went to bed at a reasonable time in the evening and by the next day we were pretty OK but still a bit tired. Being all excited about being there and being real active probably helped us quickly adapt.

The return trip was a different story, we only spent one night in San Francisco on the return and it took a good week to really get back on schedule and that was a lot worse.

From what I have read traveling east is a lot harder for many people than traveling west so also allow plenty time to adapt when you return. You may not want to drive yourself home from the airport when you get home.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:04 am

You mention the 15 hour time change, but the big thing I look at is the likely minimum 26 hour day that you will have from the time you leave for the airport until you get to your hotel.

Ralph

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:16 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:24 pm
Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:

- Early bed time.

The airline flight schedules are made for the benefit of the airline - keeping planes in the air and getting the planes where they need to be - and when they need to be there. The "convenience" of the passengers is a distant lower priority.
Airline flight schedules are about available slots, at least at the world's major airports. Most major airports have night flying restrictions- Heathrow has some of the worst noise issues in the world (to have the world's 2/3rd largest airport essentially within metro limits on the western edge, and with takeoff and landing to the east, was a grievous historical mistake).

The highest demand slots are the ones that are of greatest convenience to the traveller, especially the business traveller. Thus anything that comes into Heathrow before 7 AM either from North America or the Far East. And anything going out at the end of the business day - post 6 30 pm.

In summer over Europe you also hit air traffic control constraints due to congestion in the airways - Europe is difficult that way.

However Heathrow is 99% of capacity. I am sure JFK etc are similar.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:24 pm
Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:

- Early bed time.

I think the advice about alcohol is very good. It will only retard body clock adjustment - not improve it.

When in Australia itself, the wine is exceptional. It would be a pity to miss all of that. But limit exposure to 1-2 glasses per day* at most, and not 48 hours or during flying.

The only reason to drink on the plane or before is to help you get to sleep - but the sleep quality will be poorer.

* a "glass" used to be 125 ml here (UK). Then it became 175 ml. And you often get a 225 ml glass (250?). 3 of those is a bottle of wine. Suffice it to say the less the better.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 am

caffeperfavore wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:46 am
I usually just stay up and crash when I arrive. I've never been able to sleep well on planes, even in lie flat seats, so a bit of sporadic dozing is all I can do anyway. The next morning, I get up and go for a walk. Getting some sunshine helps. Easing into the time difference a few days in advance helps too. My long flights have been to Asia where I'm usually landing in the evening. If I land in the morning, I've gotten a day room at a hotel to nap for a bit on arrival.

Someone mentioned hydration as important and I agree. I avoid alcohol on long flights and usually bring a couple large water bottles with me. On 14-16 hour flights I'll go through a couple liters of water.

I acclimate quicker on the way over. I'm usually off for a couple days on my return home.
+1 I also do better on the way over than the way back too. But then I never sleep all that well when I am away from home.

One other suggestion is to wear comfortable clothes on the plane.

jminv

Post by jminv » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:43 am

KBREAMK wrote:
Lots of mentions on how best to sleep on a plane, ambien etc, here already and nothing you didn't already know. On arrival in the morning, I take a prescribed wakefulness medication to adjust to the time zone more rapidly as well as be able to function throughout the day. You could ask your doctor/a travel doctor about this and it's not something uncommon, it's used by many frequent flyers, government employees, etc (provigil or nuvigil).

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:40 pm

My recipe:
- Behave normally before the trip
- Have several drinks on the flight if they are free. Only one if I must pay for it.
- Take a Melatonin (10mg), pop in some ear plugs, try to sleep
- Upon arrival, try to stay awake
- If I'm really dead I'll take a 30-60min nap, then go outside again and walk around
- Have a good dinner, a couple more beers max
- Pop another Melatonin at 10PM, sleep through the night

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm
With Tasmania as the final destination, OP will most likely have to change planes and terminals in Sydney following going through customs. Count on this taking a minimum of 1.5 hours, maybe 2+ hours and not get to Hobart until mid-day.
Not to hijack the thread, but would this also apply to negotiating the airport if one is terminating in Sydney? DW and I are travelling to New Zealand in a few months on a cruise ship departing Sydney, so our flight terminates there. Does it take a huge amount of time to go through customs and immigration there, or does the majority of delay you quoted come from the connection aspect?
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:40 pm
My recipe:
- Have several drinks on the flight if they are free. Only one if I must pay for it.
- If I'm really dead I'll take a 30-60min nap, then go outside again and walk around
I'd certainly ask a doctor before I combined Melatonin with alchohol.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:36 pm

I flew from DFW to Sydney in coach in 2013. It took 19 hours including a short stop in Brisbane but I didn't feel much jet lag at all when I got there. I caught a little bit of sleep on the plane but spent most of the time watching movies. I always try to get on the local schedule immediately when I get there. I may be a little tired and sleepy on the first day but the second day would be fine. Same way when I came back to the US.

I'm heading to Paris from DFW this afternoon.

TravelforFun

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:52 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:03 pm
Carl53 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm
With Tasmania as the final destination, OP will most likely have to change planes and terminals in Sydney following going through customs. Count on this taking a minimum of 1.5 hours, maybe 2+ hours and not get to Hobart until mid-day.
Not to hijack the thread, but would this also apply to negotiating the airport if one is terminating in Sydney? DW and I are travelling to New Zealand in a few months on a cruise ship departing Sydney, so our flight terminates there. Does it take a huge amount of time to go through customs and immigration there, or does the majority of delay you quoted come from the connection aspect?
There are potentially long lines at customs (a number of early morning flights from USA). There is an agricultural checkpoint plus an uncertain amount of time for baggage claim. I would count on better part of an hour minimum. If you were flying on domestically, you would have terminal change, baggage check and security too.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:52 pm
There are potentially long lines at customs (a number of early morning flights from USA). There is an agricultural checkpoint plus an uncertain amount of time for baggage claim. I would count on better part of an hour minimum. If you were flying on domestically, you would have terminal change, baggage check and security too.
Well, seeing as how our flight from LAX to SYD is scheduled to land at 8:15 AM Sydney time and we're supposed to be on the ship no later than 3:30 PM, we'll probably be okay. :happy Thanks!

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 pm

> DW and I are travelling to New Zealand

Take very, very seriously the New Zealand rules about fruit, foods, forest products, etc. Read them carefully, then read them again. Follow them scrupulously.

Just sayin'.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:11 pm

I find going westbound it's easier to deal with jet lag than in the opposite direction. All U.S.-Australia flights depart in the late evening and arrive in the early morning (2 days later). That's pretty close to ideal for managing jet lag. In the week or so before the flight, I'd gradually push my bedtime back (to be closer to Australia time). Then when you get on the plane, stay up a few hours before going to sleep (as otherwise you might wake up around midnight am Australia time).

When you connect, use the lounge to freshen up - I find that taking a shower really helps reset (business class lounges in Sydney/Melbourne almost certainly have showers). Then try to stay up the whole day, napping no more than 45-60 minutes if you have to.

California88

Post by California88 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 pm

I've flown to Australia many times ... connecting in Sydney can be difficult ... you land at Sydney's International Airport - but then you have to get over to Sydney's Domestic Airport (with your luggage) - the 2 airports are not that close - you land early morning - during rush hour - and it can take longer than the "legal connecting time" (they allow you) to get over there - so you can easily miss your connecting flight. If this applies to you - just make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:54 pm

KBREAMK wrote:
It's been decades but I flew to Australia a couple of times. I found the flight there not terribly pleasant, basically the longest day ever. I don't sleep well in planes cars, etc. The good news is we arrived at around 6:00am, and although kind of dazed and zoned, we did OK through the day (and even went to a tavern, early) got to bed a 6:00pm and after long sleep woke up next day fine.

Going back flight seemed easier, but took me a couple of days to adjust.

I have since heard that melatonin can be helpful for jetlag.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:03 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:32 am
I tried the expired passport trick once (didn't really fancy traveling to Madrid in August), but my employer simply paid for an expedited renewal.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:14 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:40 pm
My recipe:
I'd certainly ask a doctor before I combined Melatonin with alchohol.
LOL, wife and I have seen enough "doctors" to know that most of the time they are just guessing. Like Dr House they try things until something sticks. :beer

I just googled it, doesn't seem to be an interaction other than reducing the effectiveness of the Melatonin. (It's not like I take the pills with a beer, rather several hours later.)

traveler901

Post by traveler901 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:29 am

HueyLD wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 am
You want to start living on Australia time a week before the trip.
That's absurd

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:46 am

traveler901 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:29 am
HueyLD wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 am
You want to start living on Australia time a week before the trip.
That's absurd
Absolutely not!

It is not necessary if you are on vacation. But if you have serious business to conduct overseas, having a clear mind is very essential. The multinational company I used to work for had such a recommendation for their employees going overseas for important business functions such as contract negotiations, new projection implementation training, etc.