Inside dishwasher smells after cleaning dishes...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ykcor

Inside dishwasher smells after cleaning dishes...

Post by Ykcor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:23 am

High end KitchenAid about five years old. I've cleaned the trap and little food grinder. DW wants to get a new one or call appliance repair man. I wonder if we are dealing with outlet drain problem and should call a plumber. What say you?
Thanks.

CAsage

Re: Inside dishwasher smells after cleaning dishes...

Post by CAsage » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 am

Does it smell all the time, or only briefly after running a cycle? Can you pour in a cup of bleach and run a cycle? I'd just keep the door closed....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

A440

Post by A440 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:30 am

Try "Affresh" tab and see if that helps.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 am

Smells like roses? Like the perfume in dishwasher detergent? A pleasant lemon-lime scent? The scent in the Rinse-Aid?

Post a video of the path of the drain tube from start to end on youtube or imgur, maybe it was installed incorrectly?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:41 am

Does Kitchen Aid recommend any type of periodic cleaning for your dishwasher above what you have already done?

In addition to cleaning the filter, I periodically run an empty dishwasher with white vinegar added as per ASKO’s cleaning recommendations. Works great, no smells and the stainless steel interior is spotless after 10 years.

Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:42 am

CAsage wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 am
Does it smell all the time, or only briefly after running a cycle? Can you pour in a cup of bleach and run a cycle? I'd just keep the door closed....
When open door after cycle over and dishes still wet

kd2008

Post by kd2008 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:51 am

Most dishwashers have a filter in the drain. Check yours that it is clean. Most likely clogged with gunk.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:11 am

Does it drain into the garbage disposal?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

jackalope

Post by jackalope » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:24 am

In addition to cleaning the various filters and so on, many Dishwashers inevitably collect some food residue under the door by the bottom Hinge where it attaches to the rest of the Unit. This is tough to visually see unless you remove all the racks and stick your head inside.

Try removing the all the racks and then cleaning under the door edge as well as the hinge area with vinegar / baking soda. Make sure to also clean the inside tub where the bottom edge is covering it when the door is closed.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:43 pm

is there a problem with the anti-backflow check valve?

it's failure would cause water normally pushed out to return to the unit, not give clean dishes (and cause smells), and not have the dishes dry at the end (could have water at bottom of unit)

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:44 pm

put a small bowel in the top rack filled with cleaning vinegar. Run that through a quick rinse. Then run another quick rinse with some baking soda.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm

sschoe2,
You might have a hard time getting a small bowel into the dishwasher unless you put it in a bowl. :wink:
Tom D.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Besides what's already been said, check the installation of the drain line.
See here:
https://structuretech1.com/dishwasher-drain/
The under sink high loop is really easy to add with a screw and a zip tie.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:44 pm
put a small bowel in the top rack filled with cleaning vinegar. Run that through a quick rinse. Then run another quick rinse with some baking soda.
Eeew! I think I'd get a new dishwasher before putting a bowel in it. :shock:
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 pm
sschoe2 wrote:
You think it smells bad now!!! Just wait!!! :shock:

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:21 pm

two thoughts:
1. if the smell is like mold: then after doing a run with vinegar leave door open so everything dries out.

2. if it smells like spoiled food: check where the drain tube is going.
Drainage of a dishwasher must be with an "air gap". The purpose of the air gap is so dirty water can't flow by gravity back into the dishwasher. An older style was a little metal thumb sized cylinder protruding up from the back of the sink; water might trickle out of this at times. But most do this by having the drain hose go from the dishwasher into the cabinet under the sink, then loop up so the top of the loop is as high as possible, then it goes down where it empties into the part the sink drains into (like where the disposal is, if you have one). It is common for the mechanism holding this loop up to fail (usually a small screw into the under surface of the countertop). Then you no longer have an air gap. Why is this a problem, because junk from the disposal area can then run down into this drain hose and maybe even go into the dishwasher. So then you have dishes bathed in a combination dishwasher soap, clean water, and crap that went down the sink but didn't make it all the way down the drain.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

scout80

Post by scout80 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:27 pm

use this: https://summitbrands.com/glisten/dishwa ... infectant/

available at wal mart, etc - might want to do it twice the first time if you've never used it - works great. After that use one bottle monthly. follow the directions and use the hottest cycle you can.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
sschoe2 wrote:
I’ve heard of people cleaning cart parts in the dishwasher and even cooking fish. But bowels? Does one use their own bowels or do they borrow someone else’s?

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 pm

The flex plastic hose out to the disposal needs to loop up and be secured high up under the sink, higher than the inlet to the disposal, to prevent backflow of vapors/liqiuids

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:47 pm

DesertDiva wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
sschoe2 wrote:
I’ve heard of people cleaning cart parts in the dishwasher and even cooking fish. But bowels? Does one use their own bowels or do they borrow someone else’s?
Hannibal Lecter leftovers.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 pm

+1 on the comments if your disposal drains through a garbage disposal. Also be sure to run the disposal before starting the dishwasher so nothing back flows into the dishwasher drain line.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Lot of good possibilities here, but if I had to bet my hard earned money I would guess it's the filter. Newer machines have a filter and I have never known anyone to actually clean them regularly. I just discovered this and can personally attest that it makes a big difference. :beer

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:37 pm

We use the vinegar trick regularly and clean the bottom filters once a week and it helps.

Also, do you have hard water? Our dishwasher smelled worse right after a run when we had hard water. We recently had a softener/filter installed and the dishes seem to come out cleaner and the dishwasher smells much better after use now.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:07 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:41 am
Does Kitchen Aid recommend any type of periodic cleaning for your dishwasher above what you have already done?

In addition to cleaning the filter, I periodically run an empty dishwasher with white vinegar added as per ASKO’s cleaning recommendations. Works great, no smells and the stainless steel interior is spotless after 10 years.
Wife did that and used all the commerical cleaners fo dishwasher

Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the good suggestions. My wife his already called the local appliance repairman (the one who's butt cleavage shows when he is down working on an appliance). Bless him, he came out on a Thanksgiving day and worked on some appliance for us and saved the holiday.